The "Whatever" Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 496 Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aww, all this talk about birth makes me want another SO badly.

While my birth with DD wasn't terrible, it wasn't what I wanted either. My DH at the time wanted me to have a homebirth (mostly to save money), but I was scared because he offered the opinion halfway through my pregnancy. I didn't have time to research like I have done now since she was born. I was induced with DD because she was small and wasn't getting any bigger. I had wanted an unmedicated birth, and I did well through half of it, but the pitocin just made things so unbearable. I got an epidural and it was awful. It gave me the shakes really bad, I couldn't barely talk my teeth chattered so badly. I definitely don't want either of those again. I even had stadol, and that just made me feel like I was drunk.

I went to the WRONG birthing classes. Instead of finding a bradley class, we went to a regular, hospital affiliated class. I got made fun of the whole time! I was the only one that wanted an unmedicated, natural birth. The teacher kept pointing me out and telling everyone that natural childbirth didn't earn you a medal. We didn't even finish that class. Who wants to be made fun of?? Not me.

I haven't gotten DP on board with a homebirth yet, though. He said *he* would feel safer in a hospital, and he is afraid that if something were to go wrong that it would take us forever to get to the hospital since we live out in the sticks. The closest hospital in any direction is 30-45 minutes away. I told him I wanted a midwife and that I would be fine, but he shuts me out. He says he will discuss it and research it with me once we get pregnant. All I know is his decision is based on what happened with his ex. We are not the same people...and personally, I think she is an idiot when it comes to anything medical related. I may sound like a horrible person to say that, but the way I see how she reacts when her son is sick, that's what makes me think that.

I just think I would be much more calm and relaxed if I birthed at home where I could do what I wanted. Being strapped to a bed is not my idea of calm and relaxed, but I am a person that doesn't like to sit still for long periods of time.

Christie, DP to Kevin, mama to DD Morgen (12/07) & DSS Matthew (7/03)
#302 of 496 Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrunchymama View Post
I went to the WRONG birthing classes. Instead of finding a bradley class, we went to a regular, hospital affiliated class. I got made fun of the whole time! I was the only one that wanted an unmedicated, natural birth. The teacher kept pointing me out and telling everyone that natural childbirth didn't earn you a medal. We didn't even finish that class. Who wants to be made fun of?? Not me.
I wouldn't stick around for that, either. I'm forever telling people to stay away from the hospital classes if they really want an unmedicated birth. Most think I'm nuts. Unfortunately, the hospital classes aren't going to provide the info and support needed to feel confident about having an unmedicated birth. The more an anesthesiologist and other interventions are used, the more money everyone makes.

Hospital labor does not necessarily mean you will be strapped to a bed. I wasn't with ds2, although they did require continual fetal monitoring. I was still able to get up and move around, use the ball. Unfortunately, the epidural kept me from being able to birth in any position other than lying in the bed.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#303 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:23 AM

What helped DH get more comfortable with the idea of an out of hospital birth was watching DVD's. there is a great Gentle Birth DVD, and tons of stuff on YouTube. I was half planning to UC DS, but DH got a little nervous when my blood pressure went up a little towards the end (still within normal) and I had one episode of a trace protein in my urine . . .but that's it. otherwise perfectly normal pregnancy, I even managed to only gain 25 lbs, even though I ate whatever I wanted.

I wasn't strapped to a bed until the epidural. before that I got to rock in the rocking chair, pace, bend over the side table, etc. I think I should have done some squats or something. oh well. Next time!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#304 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I wouldn't stick around for that, either. I'm forever telling people to stay away from the hospital classes if they really want an unmedicated birth. Most think I'm nuts. Unfortunately, the hospital classes aren't going to provide the info and support needed to feel confident about having an unmedicated birth. The more an anesthesiologist and other interventions are used, the more money everyone makes.

Hospital labor does not necessarily mean you will be strapped to a bed. I wasn't with ds2, although they did require continual fetal monitoring. I was still able to get up and move around, use the ball. Unfortunately, the epidural kept me from being able to birth in any position other than lying in the bed.
YES! I totally agree with you. I didn't have many options when it came to picking a class, but I didn't look as hard as I could have. Another reason I quit the class was because I wasn't learning anything that I hadn't already picked up from TV shows. Haha. I know being in the hospital doesn't automatically mean I get strapped down, but even if I tried to have a completely unmedicated birth in a hospital I think the stress of being there would put a damper on it. I don't like hospitals, regardless of if I am visiting someone or if I'm the patient myself. That's what gives me the most appeal to staying home. I stress easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post
What helped DH get more comfortable with the idea of an out of hospital birth was watching DVD's. there is a great Gentle Birth DVD, and tons of stuff on YouTube. I was half planning to UC DS, but DH got a little nervous when my blood pressure went up a little towards the end (still within normal) and I had one episode of a trace protein in my urine . . .but that's it. otherwise perfectly normal pregnancy, I even managed to only gain 25 lbs, even though I ate whatever I wanted.

I wasn't strapped to a bed until the epidural. before that I got to rock in the rocking chair, pace, bend over the side table, etc. I think I should have done some squats or something. oh well. Next time!
I bought The Business of Being Born for us to watch, and he watched it with me, so I give him credit for that. I don't want to give him any books to read, because he won't read something unless he has an interest in it. He likes story books, not informative ones. Heck, I tried to get him to read The Five Love Languages and he finally told me no after a pretty crappy attempt. He says he doesn't do books like that. So, the videos on You Tube sound like a great idea.

Aside from DD being small, I had a really great pregnancy. I barely gained any weight, 13 pounds I believe, and I was so healthy. I passed all the tests they ran, my blood pressure stayed normal, I wasn't high risk for anything. So, I think I'm a really good candidate for a home birth. I mean, ultimately, its my decision in the end, but I really want him on board with me. Because I know everyone else we're related to will be against it.

#305 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM

LCM - when and if the time comes, see if you can talk to him about just meeting with and interviewing some homebirth midwives. A lot of their fears about homebirth are life/death/emergency related. To the dads/husbands, they just want to make sure their family is going to be safe. Once they see how prepared a midwife is for a birth, and how they would handle certain problems or maybe-problems, usually they start to come around.

That way he can also ask questions and get immediate responses about real life situations, which is better (for some) than reading statistics or stories from a book.

My DH is 110% supportive of whatever I want to do. He was on board with homebirth when I mentioned it the last time, and would be totally supportive of whatever I choose next time.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

And I'm still not sure I'm pg! My temp went up again today, I just can't see how much higher it's going to climb!! Starting to look like that yodelling game from the price is right...

Chart

I just hope it doesn't come crashing down with in a few days!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#306 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Carrie, that chart looks pretty awesome! and yes, it does look like that game!

Same old same old with me. meaning I haven't a clue!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#307 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
LCM - when and if the time comes, see if you can talk to him about just meeting with and interviewing some homebirth midwives. A lot of their fears about homebirth are life/death/emergency related. To the dads/husbands, they just want to make sure their family is going to be safe. Once they see how prepared a midwife is for a birth, and how they would handle certain problems or maybe-problems, usually they start to come around.

My dh was against a homebirth when I first brought it up. We compromised with a free standing birthing center in the area we were living at the time. We moved before I got pg ds2, though, and there weren't any birthing centers in HI. He reluctantly agreed to a homebirth then but only because I put my foot down and told him that it was my body, my decision and I had been through it before (sort of). I couldn't find a MW who would do a VBAC that I was comfortable with so we ended up at the hospital. It wasn't horrible but definitely not what I wanted.

When I was pg with ds3, my dh was deployed from the time I was about 12w until ds3 was 7 months old so his concerns about homebirth weren't much of an issue. He actually said to me (in a good-hearted teasing, not mean, way), "I bet you're happy I won't be here because then you can birth in the woods if you want." Of course, I wasn't happy he wasn't going to be there but it did give me one less thing to have to consider. My homebirth was everything I hoped it would be, amazing, incredible, empowering. DS3 was actually born under water. There's a frame from the video where his head is born but not his body and there's a full face shot of him looking up from under the water.

I had a really hard time with the pain of the contractions at the end. I just don't know if I can do that again knowing how painful it was. You know how they say that fear and stress make pain worse? Well, since I know how painful it was, I'd be anticipating that and be fearful and stressed about it, which would then probably make the pain worse. When I was pg last summer I got a hypnobirthing book. I didn't get very far into it since I miscarried but that is my plan if I ever have another baby.

Carrie ~ That chart does look good. Very different from last cycle.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#308 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
When I was pg last summer I got a hypnobirthing book. I didn't get very far into it since I miscarried but that is my plan if I ever have another baby.

Carrie ~ That chart does look good. Very different from last cycle.
I did the Hypnobabies home course w/DD's pregnancy. I listened to all the cd's and did all the work, but was kind of half-hearted about it, truthfully, and I think part of me thought it wouldn't work. I didn't use any of the techniques during labor. I actually forgot to, b/c the pain was that intense, and DH never bothered to really read the partner guide so he didn't use any cues or anything. In the end, I just labored how I needed to labor, and eventually DD came out after 12 hrs of active labor and 51 min of pushing.

My chart is totally different than last month...that's what has me raising one eyebrow and thinking maybe I am pg. But when I compare it to DD's chart, it's also totally different. I didn't have temps in the 98's until way past 13DPO w/ her. It was much more gradually textbook triphasic.

I don't have VIP days anymore, does anyone know how to have that chart show as my 2nd chart on FF?

I'm still on the fence. I'm willing to accept either result. If I'm not pg, it's ok, we'll get there soon...if I am, then that's great too, and I have a lot of decisions to make!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#309 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I did the Hypnobabies home course w/DD's pregnancy. I listened to all the cd's and did all the work, but was kind of half-hearted about it, truthfully, and I think part of me thought it wouldn't work. I didn't use any of the techniques during labor. I actually forgot to, b/c the pain was that intense, and DH never bothered to really read the partner guide so he didn't use any cues or anything. In the end, I just labored how I needed to labor, and eventually DD came out after 12 hrs of active labor and 51 min of pushing.

My chart is totally different than last month...that's what has me raising one eyebrow and thinking maybe I am pg. But when I compare it to DD's chart, it's also totally different. I didn't have temps in the 98's until way past 13DPO w/ her. It was much more gradually textbook triphasic.

I don't have VIP days anymore, does anyone know how to have that chart show as my 2nd chart on FF?

I'm still on the fence. I'm willing to accept either result. If I'm not pg, it's ok, we'll get there soon...if I am, then that's great too, and I have a lot of decisions to make!
I'm failry sure I'll be doing hypnobabies this time around, a friend of mine is lending me her hypnobirthing supplies.. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two.

My two pregnancy charts were nothing alike Carrie, I think this months chart looks very pretty for you

If you go to your homepage setup (link found toward the top of the page above your chart) there is a spot on there that you can move charts from your homepage and add others that it has stored.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#310 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM

I really appreciate sharing our birth stories here.

Quote:
My MW doesn't like hypnobirthing. She says it can actually stall labor if the woman is too good at it because she can get too relaxed. I'm not very good at directed relaxing or meditating so I don't know that I'd be that good at it.

I didn't do anything to prepare for labor with ds3. I'd taken a Lamaze class when pg with ds1 and the Bradley class with ds2 so I figured I didn't need anything. I wanted to just follow my body's cues. My body's cue was to scream. That's when my MW took my face in her hands and told me to stop fighting the contractions. Once she told me that I was able to stop screaming, breathe through the contractions and relax. After that things were much more manageable and seemed to go faster.

My labor wasn't too long, anyway. From when I first noticed I was losing my mucous plug until ds3 was born was only 12 hours. I didn't start having serious contractions until maybe 2 hours before he was born. I don't know how long I pushed but it wasn't very long. One thing I thought was really cool was that after I had pushed his head out, my body took a break. I didn't have any contractions or feelings of needing to push for at least 2 minutes. I was able to just relax and breathe and recover with no pressure to do anything.

Quote:

At the bottom of your homepage setup there should be boxes for adding and deleting charts. Click on the chart in the left hand box you want to delete and delete it. Then choose the chart in the right hand box and add it.

#311 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate sharing our birth stories here.
Me too!

Ok, I put Nora's pg chart up as my #2 for comparison. Just for fun!

Today I don't think I'm pg after all. I feel like I'm going from one extreme to the other. Last night I was 100% convinced that I am!

#312 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Me too!

Ok, I put Nora's pg chart up as my #2 for comparison. Just for fun!

Today I don't think I'm pg after all. I feel like I'm going from one extreme to the other. Last night I was 100% convinced that I am!
Oh, I'll play to! I've updated my page to show my current chart and B.'s chart

I don't feel pregnant today either

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#313 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

That way he can also ask questions and get immediate responses about real life situations, which is better (for some) than reading statistics or stories from a book.

My DH is 110% supportive of whatever I want to do. He was on board with homebirth when I mentioned it the last time, and would be totally supportive of whatever I choose next time.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

And I'm still not sure I'm pg! My temp went up again today, I just can't see how much higher it's going to climb!! Starting to look like that yodelling game from the price is right...

Chart

I just hope it doesn't come crashing down with in a few days!!!
I'm liking the idea of interviewing midwives. Even though there aren't many around here! We don't have any birth centers, either. I know of one in Virginia Beach, which is well over an hour away from me. I have no desire to labor in a moving vehicle. I just have a long list of "I don't want" for my next pregnancy and labor.

I am SO excited for you! I'm going to go stalk your chart after I post this. I finally have a moment to do so.

Quote:

My dh was against a homebirth when I first brought it up. We compromised with a free standing birthing center in the area we were living at the time. We moved before I got pg ds2, though, and there weren't any birthing centers in HI. He reluctantly agreed to a homebirth then but only because I put my foot down and told him that it was my body, my decision and I had been through it before (sort of). I couldn't find a MW who would do a VBAC that I was comfortable with so we ended up at the hospital. It wasn't horrible but definitely not what I wanted.

When I was pg with ds3, my dh was deployed from the time I was about 12w until ds3 was 7 months old so his concerns about homebirth weren't much of an issue. He actually said to me (in a good-hearted teasing, not mean, way), "I bet you're happy I won't be here because then you can birth in the woods if you want." Of course, I wasn't happy he wasn't going to be there but it did give me one less thing to have to consider. My homebirth was everything I hoped it would be, amazing, incredible, empowering. DS3 was actually born under water. There's a frame from the video where his head is born but not his body and there's a full face shot of him looking up from under the water.

I had a really hard time with the pain of the contractions at the end. I just don't know if I can do that again knowing how painful it was. You know how they say that fear and stress make pain worse? Well, since I know how painful it was, I'd be anticipating that and be fearful and stressed about it, which would then probably make the pain worse. When I was pg last summer I got a hypnobirthing book. I didn't get very far into it since I miscarried but that is my plan if I ever have another baby.
Is your DH going to be more on board with a homebirth next time (if you chose it) since you have already done one? I have a hard time letting myself relax when in pain, too. I wish I could more clearly remember my labor with DD. I just remember there was too much commotion from everyone and too much going on. I have a horrible memory! Which makes it seem crappy because all the negative things stick in my mind.

Quote:
Looks like the grass is green on both sides!

I have a question, since I have never tracked my temps with FF...I didn't take my temp this morning because I didn't have my thermometer, so do I just leave it blank in FF or do I need to do anything special to show that I didn't take my temp today? It seems like a stupid question, but I just want to do it right.

#314 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I have a question, since I have never tracked my temps with FF...I didn't take my temp this morning because I didn't have my thermometer, so do I just leave it blank in FF or do I need to do anything special to show that I didn't take my temp today? It seems like a stupid question, but I just want to do it right.
I would just leave it blank, though I might make a note for that day that I forgot. Just in case later I go back through looking for a temp.

#315 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Is your DH going to be more on board with a homebirth next time (if you chose it) since you have already done one?
My dh will go along with whatever I want. I think he'll probably feel better about a homebirth since I've already done it once. He's not one to care too much one way or the other. I think the reluctance about a homebirth when I was pg with ds2 was because he had no first-hand experience or knowledge about L&D and only knew what everyone else did, which was medicated hospital birth.

Quote:
You don't need to do anything. Just leave it blank. You can fill in other signs, though, like CF and CP.

On the compared charts, the actual temps don't really matter. All that matters is that they stay up. It is a good sign when temps climb.

#316 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oooohhh prenatal classes!! I had the most awesome instructor ever for them, she was like "Here's some ideas you might find helpful, do what feels best, let your instincts guide you, information, information, information, YAY!" ...but that was 9 years ago (eek!) and with my ex (boo!) so I guess SO and I should take some classes. I wonder if there's any that have a sibling class?

DS was at DD's birth, but he was 2 1/2 then... he knew what was going on but it would be completely different now. I had bought a DQ cake for the birthday and that was DS's main focus. He was in the living room when she was born but came running in immediately after and said "A baby!!! Time for cake!!" Actually, maybe that would still be his main focus.

SO has been looking online at Honda Pilots but at least he's stopped looking at the Beat (2 seat roadster) He wants the night we conceive to be really special, and thinks it would be really cool if we knew exactly when it happens. I told him that the chart might help with that and tried to explain it to him, but he doesn't get it. It seems like he thinks I'll be pregnant any day now, and I'm worried he's going to get discouraged. I think it's going to take a few cycles at least (I have PCOS, and I'll be 33 in a few days) and I'm on CD47, no O yet.

I need to set my alarm clock, because I temp at 5:45 when SO's alarm has gone off to go to work. He's a school bus driver, but he's been on charters the last few days until the end of the month, then he won't have work again until mid-July. My Chart I can't re-set my alarm until the kids are out of school because I need it to wake me up at 7:30 until then... maybe I can use my phone for a second alarm.... hmmm...

I asked DD what she thinks a good name for a baby would be and she said "Silver Mist" ...sounds like a deodorant scent!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#317 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post
I'm on CD47, no O yet.
What's with the open circles the last 2 days? Were they taken later than usual? Depending on the issue and what they would be adjusted, it's possible you Oed 2 days ago.

My oldest was at ds2's birth. He was almost 13 at a the time. He seemed to be ok with it at the time but later said it was very disturbing. When I went into labor with ds3 he bolted out the door as quickly as possible. He was 16 then. DS2 was there. He was 3.5yo at the time. He got scared when my contractions got bad so he stayed in his room with my mom until after his baby bro was born.

#318 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Oooohhh prenatal classes!! I had the most awesome instructor ever for them, she was like "Here's some ideas you might find helpful, do what feels best, let your instincts guide you, information, information, information, YAY!" ...but that was 9 years ago (eek!) and with my ex (boo!) so I guess SO and I should take some classes. I wonder if there's any that have a sibling class?

DS was at DD's birth, but he was 2 1/2 then... he knew what was going on but it would be completely different now. I had bought a DQ cake for the birthday and that was DS's main focus. He was in the living room when she was born but came running in immediately after and said "A baby!!! Time for cake!!" Actually, maybe that would still be his main focus.

SO has been looking online at Honda Pilots but at least he's stopped looking at the Beat (2 seat roadster) He wants the night we conceive to be really special, and thinks it would be really cool if we knew exactly when it happens. I told him that the chart might help with that and tried to explain it to him, but he doesn't get it. It seems like he thinks I'll be pregnant any day now, and I'm worried he's going to get discouraged. I think it's going to take a few cycles at least (I have PCOS, and I'll be 33 in a few days) and I'm on CD47, no O yet.

I need to set my alarm clock, because I temp at 5:45 when SO's alarm has gone off to go to work. He's a school bus driver, but he's been on charters the last few days until the end of the month, then he won't have work again until mid-July. My Chart I can't re-set my alarm until the kids are out of school because I need it to wake me up at 7:30 until then... maybe I can use my phone for a second alarm.... hmmm...

I asked DD what she thinks a good name for a baby would be and she said "Silver Mist" ...sounds like a deodorant scent!
Aww, that's really sweet that your SO wants it to be so special like that. I have to giggle at the name, even though she came up with something really cool sounding! It does kinda sound like a deodorant scent.

Thanks, lyterae & MW!! I just wanted to be sure. I was doing so good, too....oh well! Back to it tomorrow!

#319 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
What's with the open circles the last 2 days? Were they taken later than usual? Depending on the issue and what they would be adjusted, it's possible you Oed 2 days ago.

My oldest was at ds2's birth. He was almost 13 at a the time. He seemed to be ok with it at the time but later said it was very disturbing. When I went into labor with ds3 he bolted out the door as quickly as possible. He was 16 then. DS2 was there. He was 3.5yo at the time. He got scared when my contractions got bad so he stayed in his room with my mom until after his baby bro was born.
They were taken later than usual, I'm pretty sure they'd be lower if I took the temps at the right time. I feel like I'm PMSing again, which seems to happen every time my temp bottoms out like that. Is your DS glad he was there, even though it was disturbing?

lilcrunchymama~ she's really creative with naming her animals, so I knew she'd come out with something good. She wishes her own name was Rainbow

#320 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
They were taken later than usual, I'm pretty sure they'd be lower if I took the temps at the right time. I feel like I'm PMSing again, which seems to happen every time my temp bottoms out like that. Is your DS glad he was there, even though it was disturbing?
Well, maybe soon with all that ewcf. How much later? What would they be adjusted? I don't know how to adjust in C but in F it's 0.1 degree down or up for each half hour earlier or later, respectively.

No, ds is not happy he witnessed ds2's birth. He jokes that it will haunt him for the rest of his life. While it was happening, though, he seemed to be very interested. He watched his little bro emerge.

#321 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Well, maybe soon with all that ewcf. How much later? What would they be adjusted? I don't know how to adjust in C but in F it's 0.1 degree down or up for each half hour earlier or later, respectively.

No, ds is not happy he witnessed ds2's birth. He jokes that it will haunt him for the rest of his life. While it was happening, though, he seemed to be very interested. He watched his little bro emerge.
EWCF = there isn't a lot of it, so the chart is probably a little too optimistic. I temped 1 hour late and 45 minutes late. C degrees are larger than F degrees... I found this calculator and it says 36.19, and 36.22 are the adjusted temps (so 36.2 for both days, I guess) I'm going to leave it for a few days and see what happens.

Maybe he'll appreciate that he was there when he's older. It sounds like he was interested at the time, but I'll bet it was pretty surreal! It will be interesting to hear what the kids think of the next LO's birth.

#322 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
EWCF = there isn't a lot of it, so the chart is probably a little too optimistic. I temped 1 hour late and 45 minutes late. C degrees are larger than F degrees... I found this calculator and it says 36.19, and 36.22 are the adjusted temps (so 36.2 for both days, I guess) I'm going to leave it for a few days and see what happens.
Oh, well. Then that doesn't indicate O yet. You don't need a lot of ewcf. I meant that you've been having it for several days so maybe O is close.

#323 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 PM

I did a ton of reading and youtube watching, but no classes for DS. The hospital one costs, and friends that went said it was a waste of $$. the one I'd love to go to is way big $$$$$ (for us, I think it is over $200) but integrates lots of different ideas, and isnt' strictly one form of class. Might bite the bullet and pay up. It is held at the birth center I love, but can't birth at as she doesn't do VBACs. boo!

as for the feeling pregnant one day, and not the next, I felt that way I think until I felt DS move (well, the tiny bubbles)

I think that whenever I get pregnant and have the next baby, is when DS will have his first overnight visit with a grandparent. Whether I birth at home or not.

#324 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I did a ton of reading and youtube watching, but no classes for DS. The hospital one costs, and friends that went said it was a waste of $$. the one I'd love to go to is way big $$$$$ (for us, I think it is over $200) but integrates lots of different ideas, and isnt' strictly one form of class. Might bite the bullet and pay up. It is held at the birth center I love, but can't birth at as she doesn't do VBACs. boo!
Woah, that is a lot of money. That definitely isn't some change that I could easily throw around. How long is that class? Or should I say course?

My hospital class was a waste of $$. Completely. Would have rather spent it on a few books to read, and would have probably learned more that way, too. Hind sight is 20/20!

#325 of 496 Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 PM

MW: I really like your story about ds3 labor- that is exactly what i wish my midwife, or my husband, or someone had done for me. i wish someone had firmly instructed me to relax. i am really good at doing yoga kind of breathing for other types of pain, but i was so surprised by how much ctx hurt right from the beginning, i totally forgot about trying to relax and nobody reminded me over the 22 hours of labor at home! i decided next time i will emphasize this with the midwives and my DH at every prenatal appt, and maybe even have us all do some breathign together at the start of the appt. I'm going to use a diff midwife practice this time and since i'll be vbac'ing, (or trying, i should say) i am thinking i'll go the hospital route. but not go there right away of course.
Mummoth: the way you wrote that one message, i was expecting you to say that your DH was looking at the cars to get the right one to conceive in!! it amused me. but in all seriousness, isn't it nice that charting can show you when you conceive? it is a motivation to make a few extra notes about the day so you'll be able to remember it when you figure out which time was the one. (or at least narrow it down)
my temps are up but i don't feel pg. wait and see, wait and see. i am not anxious about it like i was when TTC #1 though.
goodnight all. good luck!
-hilary
#326 of 496 Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM

I like this thread!

I think my husband of 9 years (he's 32) and I (I'm 33) are going to start "whatevering" this month. I have a preconception checkup with my PCP next week, and then I think we're both ready to either have or not have our first (only?) baby -- however it goes. Of course, we're both leaning toward "have a baby," or I might not be on this site.

I don't want to think of us as TTC because I think that would put too much pressure on us. And, in fact, I'm hoping I don't get pregnant (if I'm able to) right away, because I think I'd rather have a baby in early summer than spring. Then again, if I can conceive, it could take months, and I could end up back where I started -- with a winter/spring baby. So, again, "whatever!"

I stopped taking my BCP two months ago, and I've been taking a prenatal vitamin for three or four months, so I think I'm ready to do this...sort of...whatever!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#327 of 496 Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Stalkerazzi: go here

By now, in a normal cycle, I would be having some light spotting. I am crazy excited that I am not. I plan on testing on Sunday, which would be 12 DPO, and the only time that Robb and I are ever home together at the same time. I am not getting my hopes up either way, though, because (as I've mentioned before) it took me a long-ass time to get a BFP with Lucy. Not as long as a friend of mine, though, who was four months pg and still getting BFNs, so she finally went to her doctor to figure out what was going on -- oops!

Quote:
I think that whenever I get pregnant and have the next baby, is when DS will have his first overnight visit with a grandparent. Whether I birth at home or not.
Our (very rough) plan at this point would be to have a good friend of ours, who already watches Lucy a couple days a week, come over and be with her. If we were pregnant now, she'd be just more than 3 yo when the new baby was born; I feel like she'd probably sleep through most of the action.

It's funny, hearing everyone talk about how much labor hurt. What was interesting for me was that it didn't, not through any part of early labor, not at the hospital, not when I got into the tub. When my mother showed up and asked me if the ctx hurt, they were immediately painful. It was like her using that word took them from intense, powerful, immense, all the words I'd been using for them, and put them in this little "pain" box, and then I couldn't feel anything else. It was shocking to me how quickly it happened, and how I couldn't get away from it, once I'd thought it.

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

#328 of 496 Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Kristine, that is interesting, isn't it? I always had a hard time judging them on a pain scale, because if I don't know, truly, how bad it might get, what I am feeling could be a 2 instead of 7. Even with the crazy pitocin (crazy - up and down they kept doing the doses) I don't think I ever said a 10. I mean, yeah, they were intense and powerful, but it never got to a point where I couldn't really handle it. I got the epidural so I could rest and relax. Kinda wish I hadn't so I could have kept moving.

Breathing and low moaning/vocalizing helped me alot. Screaming tenses you up, so I really focused on not doing that.

Neuromancer, welcome to Whatevering! the great thing is that this can mean whatever you want. For me, it is that I am ok with a BFN or a BFP right now. aiming for zen :meditation

Kristie, I think it is over the course of a few weeks. I think. I only bought 2 books: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (I think, I know it is not the spiritual midwifery one) and Henci Goer's a thinking woman's guide. I borrowed a friend's Bradley book, borrowed from the library a ton of other reading material. It is funny how when you are pregnant, you just can't get enough information! Because I did read so much, when it comes right down to it, I can't blame the hospital or caregivers for the way the birth happened (other than the way they worked the Pit) - I knew full well what I was getting into with induction, and I did consent to it. Knowing what I knew, I should have refused.

12 DPO is when I tested with DS. If I have had no AF by then, I am testing next Friday. (payday!) I am that much of a POAS pansy. cd 44 today.

#329 of 496 Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post
It's funny, hearing everyone talk about how much labor hurt. What was interesting for me was that it didn't, not through any part of early labor, not at the hospital, not when I got into the tub. When my mother showed up and asked me if the ctx hurt, they were immediately painful. It was like her using that word took them from intense, powerful, immense, all the words I'd been using for them, and put them in this little "pain" box, and then I couldn't feel anything else. It was shocking to me how quickly it happened, and how I couldn't get away from it, once I'd thought it.
Quote:
Kristine, that is interesting, isn't it? I always had a hard time judging them on a pain scale, because if I don't know, truly, how bad it might get, what I am feeling could be a 2 instead of 7. Even with the crazy pitocin (crazy - up and down they kept doing the doses) I don't think I ever said a 10. I mean, yeah, they were intense and powerful, but it never got to a point where I couldn't really handle it. I got the epidural so I could rest and relax. Kinda wish I hadn't so I could have kept moving.
I never said my pain was at a 10 with the pitocin either. My mom to this day still laughs at how I told the doctor my pain was a 3 when he came in to do the epi. She said everyone just kind of stopped and looked at me for a second for wanting an epi when my pain was only at that level. I was just tired, why to I need to wait to be in excruciating pain? Or how would I know when the pain reached its peak? You just never know. I think if I had been allowed to get up and walk while on the pitocin I think it would have been a lot different. But, even with an IV I was not allowed to get out of the bed.

Quote:
Kristie, I think it is over the course of a few weeks. I think. I only bought 2 books: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (I think, I know it is not the spiritual midwifery one) and Henci Goer's a thinking woman's guide. I borrowed a friend's Bradley book, borrowed from the library a ton of other reading material. It is funny how when you are pregnant, you just can't get enough information! Because I did read so much, when it comes right down to it, I can't blame the hospital or caregivers for the way the birth happened (other than the way they worked the Pit) - I knew full well what I was getting into with induction, and I did consent to it. Knowing what I knew, I should have refused.
Those are the two books I want, too. I have Your Best Birth, but I just got it last year as something to read and I haven't picked it up yet. I have a feeling that I will read a lot more next time than I did last time. I didn't even barely have a grip on my last pregnancy. I just enjoyed it and did whatever the doctor and I thought was right. I don't regret it, I look at it as a chance to grow and learn for next time. But, it has changed my outlook on my whole life...and now I research everything.

So glad all of you have exciting charts to look at. Mine's going to be boring for a few weeks.

#330 of 496 Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post
Stalkerazzi: go here

By now, in a normal cycle, I would be having some light spotting. I am crazy excited that I am not. I plan on testing on Sunday, which would be 12 DPO, and the only time that Robb and I are ever home together at the same time. I am not getting my hopes up either way, though, because (as I've mentioned before) it took me a long-ass time to get a BFP with Lucy. Not as long as a friend of mine, though, who was four months pg and still getting BFNs, so she finally went to her doctor to figure out what was going on -- oops!
Looking very good!

Katrina ~ You just demonstrated very well what I was trying to say before. What you think is what you experience.

I don't remember anyone ever asking me how bad any pain was while in labor. With all my labors the first, long part was very easy. I would say I didn't have any pain or discomfort or anything at all. I was in labor for about 8 hours before I had my c/s with ds1. I was in induced labor with ds2 for about 10 hours, I think, with no pain at all. The nurse kept coming in to check on me and couldn't believe I wasn't begging for an epi. Then, suddenly, the pain hit like crazy and he was born 2 hours later. Same sort of thing happened with ds3 but the entire thing didn't last long. For the first several hours no pain or discomfort or anything, really. Again, the pain became excruciating that last hour or so before ds3 was born.

Maybe because of that I definitely could give a pain # on a scale. I'd say mine was off the chart. I also get (or used to get before acupuncture) extremely painful cramps for at least a week before and I've always wondered if whatever causes that also causes the pain I feel during labor.

One thing that really helped me in addition to my wonderful MW was reminding myself that the pain was actually ripping me apart or killing me. Pain is scary when you don't know why it's happening or what it's doing. Think about how little kids react when they get the tiniest scrape. They don't have the experience to know that it's not a big deal so they freak out. I consciously told myself it was good pain. It meant my baby was coming. And, honestly, I have to give the credit for that to my MW, too, since she's the first person who said that to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page