Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - July 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Could be nerves, too. My dh is due home in 4 days and my 19yo ds just got home from VA with his new car.
I'd be nervous too!

Honestly, when I'm up w/insomnia I go online and search for mindless things, like music videos on youtube. Like I've got *nothing* better to do, either.

Quote:
He said that he's waited 6 1/2 months, he can wait another week to avoid me being in pain.

The other thing is something my 6.5yo ds said to me the other day. My 3yo ds was wanting to nurse. My 6.5yo said that when I have a baby girl little bro will have to stop nursing so the baby can have the milk. Another
How sweet of DH and how incredibly cute of your son!! Thanks for sharing both! I love hearing sweet loving things. We (as a whole) often don't talk about the good, only complain about the bad. So, so sweet.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
How sweet of DH and how incredibly cute of your son!! Thanks for sharing both! I love hearing sweet loving things. We (as a whole) often don't talk about the good, only complain about the bad. So, so sweet.
That is true. My 6.5yo ds wants a baby sister so bad. He keeps asking when we're going to have one. The first few times I told him to ask his dad but that really confused him. He couldn't figure out what Dad would have to do with me having a baby. I stopped saying that because I decided I didn't want to have to answer that question any earlier than necessary.

As soon as my oldest got home with his car a couple of girls showed up and they went speeding off. It was the middle of the night. Young people these days, I swear!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:19 AM

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/e3d4a

ignore the low temps they are guesses just to show what my low temps always are... my interest is in my very strange luteal phase, which is going up and down and has mainly been "mid" temps for me, my highs are always 97.7 and up. I posted about this and I'm thankful for the feedback, but I finally charted in online so I thought I would post to see if you guys had anything else to say about it. I've never had temps that would jump up and down like that.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
ignore the low temps they are guesses just to show what my low temps always are... my interest is in my very strange luteal phase, which is going up and down and has mainly been "mid" temps for me, my highs are always 97.7 and up.
I'd rather see a chart with your actual recorded temps and CM.

First of all, there's nothing to be concerned about when temps jump around in the LP. The only thing that matters is establishing your shift by NFP or FAM rules. After the first three high temps that establish your shift, it's not even necessary to continue to temp throughout the LP. One caveat; I've seen a few charts where low temps (at and below CL) in the LP actually meant that there hadn't been a true shift due to confounding factors (illness, medication, travel, etc).

Second, it is not reliable to apply temps from a previous cycle (even if you have a very strong historical pattern of similar pre and post O temps) to a current cycle. Each cycle is a new slate, and your temps could trend higher or lower than normal for a number of different reasons.

I'm very concerned that you are "thinking rhythm" when you talk about your cycles always being a specific length and your temps always being a specific level. If you don't have 6 legitimate temps CD 15 and before, then you can't confirm O for CD 15.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I'm very concerned that you are "thinking rhythm" when you talk about your cycles always being a specific length and your temps always being a specific level. If you don't have 6 legitimate temps CD 15 and before, then you can't confirm O for CD 15.

I see nothing to worry about regarding your LP temps, either.

It does worry me though that you are basically day counting and not worrying about confirming O before considering yourself "safe". Of course, there's nothing inherently wrong with doing this if you're ok with getting pg, but you really can't rely on what you're doing.

What if all of a sudden you O early? You can't predict O with temping, you can only confirm it. And even then it's only within 3 days. I say, just start temping daily for a few cycles and get your footing, and then you can temp for a few days a month -- just to see and confirm your temp shift -- and then get lazy about it if you want to. But you really can't just assume cd15 is when you're going to O just b/c you have in the past.

I usually O on CD14 or 15. But last month it was CD13. I couldn't have predicted that. And one day might make the difference b/w a baby and no baby!

But again, I don't see anything fishy about the temps in your LP. Mine do that all the time. It's just fluctuating above the coverline, so it's really nothing to worry about.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
ignore the low temps they are guesses just to show what my low temps always are
If the low temps are not real, nothing can be gleaned from looking at that chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma

, especially, and everything else that Shannon said.

The actual temps do not matter. Day counting ultimately does not matter. What matters is that you have a real and true biphasic temp pattern.

Continuing our conversation about progesterone and insomnia, last night I was able to fall asleep sooner because I was so tired from lack of sleep the night before. The strange thing was that I was in this sort of half asleep, half awake state. I'm asleep and I'm dreaming but I'm aware that I'm asleep and dreaming and I'm also vaguely aware of my actual surroundings. Do any of you experience that on a regular basis? It happens to me often but I've never related it to my lp before.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Ok thanks ladies. Guess I've been looking at this all wrong, because my patterns were so consistent I got lazy, and my post O temps (when I later confirm it with AF), have never looked like that so I was concerned. I'm not anymore...but am expecting AF on Saturday we'll see...

Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Continuing our conversation about progesterone and insomnia, last night I was able to fall asleep sooner because I was so tired from lack of sleep the night before. The strange thing was that I was in this sort of half asleep, half awake state. I'm asleep and I'm dreaming but I'm aware that I'm asleep and dreaming and I'm also vaguely aware of my actual surroundings. Do any of you experience that on a regular basis? It happens to me often but I've never related it to my lp before.
So weird - that happened to me not last night but the night before! I'm not sure if it always happens to me in my LP but I am 9DPO right now

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
So weird - that happened to me not last night but the night before! I'm not sure if it always happens to me in my LP but I am 9DPO right now
Ok, even more OT but kind of related, maybe. When this happened to me in the past it was like a night terror. On a pretty regular basis there would be this black, shadowy form over me that frightened me and threatened to hurt me but never did. I couldn't move and I couldn't scream. It progressed from being completely paralyzed with fear in and out of the dream to me screaming at the thing (in my dream) to bring it on. Ever since someone told me that it was my fear (of what I still don't know) manifesting itself, it hasn't happened again.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Got my period when I woke up this morning, like clockwork 28 days So it works for me I guess, even without recording my cover-line.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Well, after bragging here a few weeks ago just how perfect my cycles are I must have jinxed it because now my temps are all over the place.

I have been not feeling well the past few days. I don't think I had a fever but my throat hurts, I haven't been sleeping well, nausea, headaches, dizzyness etc just blah for a few days. Could my crazy temps be caused by a little cold? Normally my temps are at around 96.4 pre-o and around 97.8 post-o but this time they are 97.3 one day and 96.4 the next just to go up to the 97 range again. I measure at around the same time every day (+/- 30 mins) so I'm a little surprised that it goes up and down like that. to top it all off I had EWCM today at CD12 while I usually o at cd 17 or 18.

joy.gif
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM

It's normal to occasionally have a really short cycle/LP, right? My last cycle (scroll down) was unusually short with an LP of 7 days.

Oddly enough, the new cycle started today, the day of my sons 1st birthday.

Also, I can't be pregnant just in case anyone suggests that. My husband is in Afghanistan and has been there for the past 3 months.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
It's normal to occasionally have a really short cycle/LP, right? My last cycle (scroll down) was unusually short with an LP of 7 days.
No, that's not normal. Your lp should not vary by more than 2 days and only in one direction. In other words, if your lp is usually 13 days, it's normal for it to vary either from 11-13, or 12-14 or 13-15 days but not 11-15 days. I hope that makes sense. I always feel like I have a hard time explaining that. 7 days wouldn't be a normal lp under any circumstances.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Also, I can't be pregnant just in case anyone suggests that. My husband is in Afghanistan and has been there for the past 3 months.
MW is right - it is only normal for your LP to vary by two days (for me it is 13-15)

HOWEVER - I see that your son is only 1 year old, have you returned to full fertility yet? How many cycles have you had and have they all been normal?

For alot of women, they get their cycles back, but have a luteal phase defect for awhile. (7 days is definitely not long enough of a luteal phase to get pregnant even WITH good BD timing)

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Yes, it seems to be fairly common for those who are breastfeeding and whose fertility is just returning. Is that your situation? It seems like a very clear thermal shift so I don't think your chart is wrong...

I've been MIA for a while because I couldn't access the site for a while. I thought it was just down...then after a while I realized it was me. Got it fixed! I got a temp shift today but I don't think it's a true one as it would, again, be too early for me to O. Also, I'm still having EW. Chart.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Well, we weren't able to breastfeed. I've had my cycle since 6 wks postpartum. They were pretty wacky for a bit. There was one month it was only 8 days. But it seemed to stable out sort of the past few months. I heard it can take up to a year or so.

My LP now around 10 to 11 days with the occasional 14 day or 9 day. Before I got pregnant they were 9 days. I consider it a bit of a miracle we got pregnant so easily. I think we tried for about 2 months before it happened, but I also had gotten off birth control the first month. Apparently my family on both sides is pretty fertile.

That said, I have been under stress lately. My husband is deployed, I started meds to prevent migraines because I was getting them almost weekly due to unstable weather out here. My son also started teething again so we weren't sleeping through the night. I also had blood tests to evaluate the thyroid medicine because it may not be enough.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Blueone, if you have thyroid issues, your short LP could be because you need to have your medication dosage changed. My endocrinologist also just changed me to using the brand name meds instead of the generic. Might be something to talk to you dr about.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Blueone, if you have thyroid issues, your short LP could be because you need to have your medication dosage changed. My endocrinologist also just changed me to using the brand name meds instead of the generic. Might be something to talk to you dr about.
Hey AnnieA - how goes the baby growing?

I have a random question - I have been wondering if I should get my thyroid checked because I am sooo tired all the time. However, I have a really really reaaaaaalllllyyy long LP (13-15 days) does that mean I probably dont? Or is it just one of those things that may or may not happen (short LP)?

Also, I don't really have weight issues either.......

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:

I have a random question - I have been wondering if I should get my thyroid checked because I am sooo tired all the time. However, I have a really really reaaaaaalllllyyy long LP (13-15 days) does that mean I probably dont? Or is it just one of those things that may or may not happen (short LP)?

You know, cycles are only part of it. I'm actually thinking this may have been an 8 day LP because I sometimes get a triphasic look. I've always had shorter LP's and for the most part and I've had no problems getting pregnant. This is a weird cycle for me and I'm attributing it to the change in after having a baby and the fact that it can a year to level out. I didn't get my first period until month 2 postpartum.

One of the biggest signs for hypothyroid is low body temps 2-5. That's why I had blood tests ran again because my temps have been around 97.2. I heard that the preferred temp is over 97.5 and under 97.9.
Make sure they run tests for T3, T4, FREE T3 and T4, along with TSH. Check out the site Stopthethyroidmadness.com.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Babe is still growing! I'm 6w3d and going strong! I had a slight scare last week with some super light pink spotting but it turns out I have a yeast infection and that was causing the spotting. My dr tested my progesterone levels and they were a little to close to borderline/low for him so he put me on progesterone supplements for the next 30 days.

For me, the big indicator that I had hypothyroid was severe fatigue and extreme insensitivity to cold. I was FREEZING all the time!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
One of the biggest signs for hypothyroid is low body temps 2-5. That's why I had blood tests ran again because my temps have been around 97.2. I heard that the preferred temp is over 97.5 and under 97.9.
What's 2-5? 97.2 is a normally pre-O temp. TCOYF says hypothyroid may be indicated when temps are consistently below 97.0. Normal pre-O temps range from 97.0-97.5 and post-O are above 97.5 (or is it 97.5 and above?). Are you talking about pre or post-O temps?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
What's 2-5? 97.2 is a normally pre-O temp. TCOYF says hypothyroid may be indicated when temps are consistently below 97.0. Normal pre-O temps range from 97.0-97.5 and post-O are above 97.5 (or is it 97.5 and above?). Are you talking about pre or post-O temps?
No, pre O temps on days 2-5. One person even 7-14. My doctor says that's the true normal range and most sites I read say the same. However I sometimes do question that since my temps always tend to be on the low side, even when properly medicated and symptom free. My parents are both on meds and experience the same thing, consistently lower than what the doctor wants temps despite proper medication.

I have found though that I felt best when at least 2 out of the 3 temps are around 97.5 because once I head into the week I ovulate and temps dip lower, if they are around 97.0 or 96.8 I feel really symptomatic. Versus the months it's around 97.5, then the O temps tend to be around 97.2.

I was just stating what lots of research state, especially on the STTM site.

Also, before I started meds and was just being diagnosed, he had me temp. It was in the 96.5 range. Starting medication helped bring the temp up. It just seems to be stuck in the lower 97 range now and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't go to 96.8. I hate those days. It's better than what it was before though.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No, pre O temps on days 2-5. One person even 7-14. My doctor says that's the true normal range and most sites I read say the same. However I sometimes do question that since my temps always tend to be on the low side, even when properly medicated and symptom free. My parents are both on meds and experience the same thing, consistently lower than what the doctor wants temps despite proper medication.

I have found though that I felt best when at least 2 out of the 3 temps are around 97.5 because once I head into the week I ovulate and temps dip lower, if they are around 97.0 or 96.8 I feel really symptomatic. Versus the months it's around 97.5, then the O temps tend to be around 97.2.

I was just stating what lots of research state, especially on the STTM site.

Also, before I started meds and was just being diagnosed, he had me temp. It was in the 96.5 range. Starting medication helped bring the temp up. It just seems to be stuck in the lower 97 range now and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't go to 96.8. I hate those days. It's better than what it was before though.
Ah, ok. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying. 96.5 is definitely low. Maybe, like AnnieA said, you need to have your meds tweaked since it seems the very short lp is a thyroid issue. OTOH, if you're not TTC, maybe it doesn't matter. I guess it depends on what other health issues are associated thyroid problems.

AFM, I'm at 14dpo and still no yet. FF is again telling me I can now test because I might be pg. I wonder if the maca could also lengthen my lp. I know Vitex can, which is one reason I chose the maca over Vitex. I don't really want my lp lengthened. Everyone wants to go to the pool today and I don't know what to do. I could get any minute. Oh, my temp didn't really drop again, either. Guess that's not something I can rely on for indicating when will show.

My chart

Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Everyone wants to go to the pool today and I don't know what to do. I could get any minute.
I hate that feeling! I'd just put a tampon in and go swimming. But that's me!

So, CD12 for me and no O pains. I checked and my past two cycles and I have always had them by now.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM

My temp isn't 96.5 anymore. That's what it was 2 years ago before I started medication. It's now 97.2 usually with the O day being around 96.8, then of course going up much higher. That would be cold if it were 96.5

I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday to discuss the blood tests. I hope we find something that works. I can't go higher on T3 without having hyperthyroid symptoms.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
My temp isn't 96.5 anymore. That's what it was 2 years ago before I started medication. It's now 97.2 usually with the O day being around 96.8, then of course going up much higher. That would be cold if it were 96.5
Yeah, I got that.

Went to the pool and back and still no . I did put a tampon in jic.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

When did AF show up for me this cycle? I think it was like 6 or 7 pm on CD14. Hang in there.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
When did AF show up for me this cycle? I think it was like 6 or 7 pm on CD14. Hang in there.
Yeah, I'm still waiting. She used to show first thing in the am but the last few cycles she's come later in the day. Never this late, though. There's no chance I'm pg since I haven't dtd since December. I have had a couple of 14 day lps so she's still not late, really.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Huh, OK. I FINALLY got a new thermometer - yes, a whole new one, nobody sold the replacement lithium batteries, grr - and started temping a week or so ago. I'm not planning to trust this cycle's temps because I started temping so late, but figured I might as well get back into the swing of things. So anyway, FF has just confirmed O for me. Doesn't that seem dodgy to you? Did it consider Day 18 an outlying temp? O on Day 19 isn't out of the realms of possibility - I Oed on that very day a few months back - but still, it seems a bit presumptuous. Not even dotted crosshairs.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 PM

I think I'd need more info about it. Were they all taken at the same time, no adjustments, other circumstances, etc? I might wait a few more days to be sure. It does look like a temp shift though.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List