Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - July 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 2010

Welcome to the July 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" , and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in June, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me or post and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything. To those who are new, welcome!

You must post in July if you want to be on the July list!

The June 2010 thread can be found here

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

Who we are:

AlaskanFlower
Annie2186
Baby_Cakes
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
Bellabaz
Blueone
Crabbyowl
dealic
doriansmummy
Fresh veggie
InMediaRes
JenineJessica - since 12/07
Jodi5
JonahRoo
Kidzaplenty
K-Mom3
Kcroto42 – CTA since 10/09
Lauren31
lilcrunchymama
MarineWife – CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
MissE
mom2cash
MovingMomma - CTA since 02/09 plus some time before
MQ
Mummoth
nerdymom
Newbiemama09 - Using FAM for 2+ years
nerdymom
peabean26
Pinkgeek
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
Readytobedone
Sammerson0814
Sk8ermaiden
Smokering
Smylingeyz
Sunniecooks
theboysmama
Toolip
yippiehippie
youngspiritmom

Graduates

Wholewheatchick - Due in Dec. 2010
OsUvet - Due in Feb. 2011
Echospiritwarrior - Due in Feb. 2011
Lyterae - Due in Feb. 2011
Dex_Millie - Due in Feb. 2011
AnnieA - Due in March 2011

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:

Taking

Charge of Your Fertility
, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila

Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn

Shannon

Websites:

Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:

AF: Aunt Flo, your period
AFM: as for me
BD: baby dancing; bed dancing (i.e. sex)
BFP: positive pregnancy test (big fat positive)
BFN: negative pregnancy test (big fat negative)
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CTA: Charting to Avoid
CTW: Charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Again welcome to everyone that is new, if I have not added you to the list I'm sorry. Please leave a post and put in bold "Add Me" or something similiar. I haven't had as much time lately to keep up on tracking everyone. If you need information changed or added, again please do something similiar so I can find it.

Welcome to July!

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM

I just joined the list the other day, if you could add me that would be great!

If anyone has any tips on TTA while bfing, I'd be forever grateful!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm sorry, I'm probably driving everyone nuts. I just don't have anyone to talk to about this but my SIL, who is hoping I get a BFP.

Logic time:
I could have O'd (maybe) CD 16, 17, 18, 19 or (god I hope not) 20

I got a BFN this morning with FMU, so 16 and 17 (15 and 14 dpo respectively, aren't a problem -- although that's obvious since we didn't dtd until CD20)

If I didn't O until CD 18 or 19 then I'm not really late yet -- 13 or 12 dpo

If I O'd on CD 20 I'm probably screwed (haha) but the temps don't make that likely.
Don't you think?

So I'll be able to find out one way or another by Sunday (14 dpo if O was CD 20)

So no more hand-wringing until then, just finger-crossing

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post
I'm sorry, I'm probably driving everyone nuts. I just don't have anyone to talk to about this but my SIL, who is hoping I get a BFP.

Logic time:
I could have O'd (maybe) CD 16, 17, 18, 19 or (god I hope not) 20

I got a BFN this morning with FMU, so 16 and 17 (15 and 14 dpo respectively, aren't a problem -- although that's obvious since we didn't dtd until CD20)

If I didn't O until CD 18 or 19 then I'm not really late yet -- 13 or 12 dpo

If I O'd on CD 20 I'm probably screwed (haha) but the temps don't make that likely.
Don't you think?

So I'll be able to find out one way or another by Sunday (14 dpo if O was CD 20)

So no more hand-wringing until then, just finger-crossing
From what I understand the chance of catching the egg if you BD AFTER ovulation is significantly less likely. I still think you're okay.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Checking in for the month. CD 4 here. I would take over the thread but I haven't gotten around to having "The Talk" with DH ...we may or may not be avoiding this cycle. We may be whatevering. If not this cycle, then maybe soon. So hopefully someone who is for sure avoiding can take over. It's not that hard, I did it for awhile.

I'm going camping this weekend! Perfect timing, AF should be just about over and I won't be fertile yet. Depending on what we decide it may be my last opportunity to drink alcohol for a while...I do like a good beer or Smirnoff every now and then...

Won't be fertile until the next weekend at the earliest...keep me accountable to talk to my DH and figure out where he stands on NextKid, ladies! I'm not sure if I'm ready but it would help to know how ready he is!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Rara, I got a chance to take a peek at your chart. I think the most likely O days are CDs 16 and 19. CD 20 doesn't look quite right for O with your temps. If you O'd CD 16 you are late. If you O'd CD 19, you are not really. Is your BD data complete? If it is, and CD 20 is the first day you DTD, I really think you have nothing to worry about. The eggie would most likely have been gone by evening on 2 dpo, if you did indeed O on CD 19.

So...my official opinion: provided your BD data is complete, you should relax and expect AF anytime.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Subbing!

Rara - if it helps calm your fears at all, last cycle DH and I whoopsied and BD'd on O day, plus 2 days before and 3 days before, and I didn't get pg. I was doing my fair share of hoping, but no dice. Think this way...just b/c you might have good/perfect timing doesn't guarantee a baby. Just try to breathe. It'll be ok. I was thinking you O'd around 16, but w/that high temp today plus a neg test...maybe it was later and it's just too early. Hmm.

I signed up to take over, even though I might not be really avoiding for too long (well, we'll be whatevering if anything, so in theory I might be here awhile regardless). Looking fwd to doing it!

Barefoot - DH and I usually have the talk "in the moment" ... I don't know if that's good or bad, but usually it means I get what I want and we don't use protection. Tee hee, I'm horrible, I know. But darnit, what's the point of whatevering if you take away every last chance of a possible pg??

CD1 here, so I'm bored as anything. Cleaned out my closet and am doing laundry.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Wow all our bodies are trying to get pregnant harder than usual or something. . . would be weird if we had a bunch of pregnancies after having none for awhile.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Rara- My instinct says CD16 too. You could definately have confirmed for then using FAM, and with HSO on CD15, and the CF stopping a day later, i think it's very plausible. Now it does make that weird that you haven't gotten AF yet, but I think you should be able to trust the neg test. Even with a CD20 o, a positive would likely have shown up at least faintly.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM

I am going to try charting with an IUD LMAO...should be hilarious. I just want to get into the habit of temping for when we are TTC may 2011.

I wish I knew what CD I was but since I haven't had a period since April....i have no idea.

Mel- Have fun on your camping trip! I am going on the 9th of July for my 2 year anniversary. Are you guys tenting it or getting a cabin?

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
I am going to try charting with an IUD LMAO...should be hilarious. I just want to get into the habit of temping for when we are TTC may 2011.
I charted w/an IUD for one cycle for the same reason -- just to get back into the habit. I wasn't consistent with it for that cycle, but it was "fun" to get back into charting! I just had my mirena out in April! Welcome!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Just popping in to say thanks to Lyterae for putting the love smiley next to my name in the graduates! So sweet! I can't believe it's been over a week since I found out I was pregnant. I'm still having a hard time saying it!

Oh and Rara, I think your O day was CD 19 so you probably have a couple more days until shows up.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
Mel- Have fun on your camping trip! I am going on the 9th of July for my 2 year anniversary. Are you guys tenting it or getting a cabin?
We'll have a tent, and my parents and grandpa each have a camper. My sister is coming with her dog too.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
We'll have a tent, and my parents and grandpa each have a camper. My sister is coming with her dog too.
Have fun!

On the CD 16/CD 19 O question:
i know that I was dry as a bone CM-wise on CD 19 and 20, like nothing, even internal.

How worried should I be if I O'd on CD 19 and DTD in the afternoon on CD 20?

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Just popping in to say thanks to Lyterae for putting the love smiley next to my name in the graduates! So sweet! I can't believe it's been over a week since I found out I was pregnant. I'm still having a hard time saying it!
Hey, Annie. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been feeling.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Have fun!

i know that I was dry as a bone CM-wise on CD 19 and 20, like nothing, even internal.

from what I understand, you shouldn't really worry at all, the chances of getting pregnant that way would be very slim because the egg only lives for 24 hours, tops, and all the while it is up in your fallopian tube. The sperm has to meet it up there and that is a pretty long trip for the sperm, which takes them some time so your egg would likely be gone. That's why when you're ttc, you're supposed to bd several days before expected O.
I'm sure I'd be a nervous wreck too. Hopefully af will show soon and you can relax!

afm, cd 1! phew! did some risky stuff last month and lots of traveling. hoping to get a nice chart this month!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Have fun!

Not worried at all. There would be a chance, but it's tiny. The egg typically only lives for 12 hours so it should have been way gone by then. The only reasons for waiting so long after the temp rise are to make sure it's a true temp rise, and just in case you have a double O. Otherwise you'd be safe after 2 high temps for sure.

Please try not to stress!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I'm with the others. I don't think it's anything to worry about. TAoNFP says: "Most of the surprise pregnancies while using Natural Family Planning methods occur because of intercourse late in Phase I."

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 AM

Third month of CTA, so far so good. I really have a textbook cycle, o-ing around day 17/18 with a LP of 14 days. Very predictable so that makes it pretty easy. DH is ok with it now. He wasn't really convinced about it when I started taking temps.

joy.gif
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM

CD 1

Lessons learned:
1) be leery of early O's -- both for safety and also for not freaking out if your LP seems longs

2) I have not-so-clear rises a lot, so to be really safe I'd better wait for 3 temps 4/10s above the LTL ( I really thought CD 19 was safe)

Thanks, everyone! Sorry for being

Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Hey, Annie. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been feeling.
Hey! I'm feeling o.k. The cramping has pretty much gone away and I'm not really feeling any nausea yet so I'm in that space where I can't believe I'm pregnant. I'm 5 weeks today and I have an appointment with the midwives on Tuesday but it's just a consultation, not a first appointment. My hormones are a little out of control though and it feels like I'm on a really bad PMS trip!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
CD 1

Lessons learned:
1) be leery of early O's -- both for safety and also for not freaking out if your LP seems longs

2) I have not-so-clear rises a lot, so to be really safe I'd better wait for 3 temps 4/10s above the LTL ( I really thought CD 19 was safe)

Thanks, everyone! Sorry for being
Glad everything worked out the way you wanted it to! No worries about getting a little freaked...that's what this group is here for!

As for the lessons you listed above...I'm a great example of why you should keep those things in mind!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hey! I'm feeling o.k. The cramping has pretty much gone away and I'm not really feeling any nausea yet so I'm in that space where I can't believe I'm pregnant. I'm 5 weeks today and I have an appointment with the midwives on Tuesday but it's just a consultation, not a first appointment. My hormones are a little out of control though and it feels like I'm on a really bad PMS trip!
Aw, what a great time! Do you have to do anything with your thyroid meds?

AFM, I wasn't going to temp today since I got my 3 high temps but last night I had real and true creamy CF. I mean, a very obvious, white, creamy bog of CF. I never get creamy CF like that. I'm the one always complaining because I have to sort of guess when I have creamy because there is so little of it and the only way I know it must be creamy is because it's something different in between my sticky and EW. Anyway, so that freaked me out a bit wondering why I'd get creamy at 3dpo. My temp was still up this am, though, so I'm good.

BTW, my temps have continued to be very stable. My FF chart has my temps as taken and my Ovusoft chart has some of them adjusted for time. It's all very strange to me because my temps are usually all over the place. You can see the difference when you look at the bottom 2 charts on my FF homepage.

My FF chart

My Ovusoft Chart

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Wow, is that's all from the maca, that's pretty amazing!

MissE-- Isn't it so nice to have a nice easy dependable chart?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Aw, what a great time! Do you have to do anything with your thyroid meds?
Well as luck would have it, I had just gone to see an endocrinologist for the very first time at the beginning of June. Up until then, I had always just gone to my PCP for my hypothyroid. Well, the dr called me last Wednesday evening, the same day I got my BFP to let me know that I do in fact have Hashimoto's and that he wanted to switch me to the brand name instead of generic meds. So I told him I had just found out I was pregnant and he immediately increased my meds dose and explained how Hashimoto's is very serious w/pregnancy and I need to take my meds religiously. So now instead of waking up to temp at 5 AM, I wake up and take my meds!

I have to go back next month to get my levels checked because apparently pregnancy wrecks havoc on your thyroid levels.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Dear Body:

I truly appreciate the very clear thermal shift this month However, if you could just push O date up by a week AND have this clear of a shift EVERY month I would be estatic!!!

Thanks!

My chart:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26af7e

YAY RARA!!!! whoop whoop

Good luck with your thyroid issues AnnieA - that's a bummer pregnancy is so hard on it

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Well as luck would have it, I had just gone to see an endocrinologist for the very first time at the beginning of June. Up until then, I had always just gone to my PCP for my hypothyroid. Well, the dr called me last Wednesday evening, the same day I got my BFP to let me know that I do in fact have Hashimoto's and that he wanted to switch me to the brand name instead of generic meds. So I told him I had just found out I was pregnant and he immediately increased my meds dose and explained how Hashimoto's is very serious w/pregnancy and I need to take my meds religiously. So now instead of waking up to temp at 5 AM, I wake up and take my meds!

I have to go back next month to get my levels checked because apparently pregnancy wrecks havoc on your thyroid levels.
Interesting. I don't know what Hashimoto's is. I'll have to Google it. What luck that you just happened to start all of that with a new doc right before getting pg. The universe is taking care of you and that little bean.

Forgot to mention the maca. Yes, it is pretty amazing if all of the changes I've had recently are because of the maca. I can't think of anything else it could be because nothing else with my diet, exercise (or lack thereof) and supplements has changed. This is on the lowest dose, too. After another cycle, I might go to two capsules a day to see if it moves my O up even more. Can you imagine me having a classic 28 day cycle?! More chances per year to get pg. There is one drawback, that would mean having more often.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Rara! I hope I'm just as lucky this month
Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Checking in here. My temps seem to be less rocky road the last week or so. We will see if that continues or if that is just something for this week, lol. It could be since I seem to be waking up at the same time every day or woken by Reid around that same time. Reid is definitely sleeping longer times now and I just had a good patch of CM. I don't think it is abundant but seems to be decent quality with some stretch to it.

Here is my chart:
http://www.tcoyf.com/members/mcrmama/pccharts/1.aspx

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

User Tag List