The August 'Whatever' Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary549 View Post
and hope others have some bfps to report! barefootscientist???
Nope, just BFNs. AF is due Monday through Wednesday. I don't very much think I'm pregnant, but it is a little early to expect a positive test yet, and my chart does still look pretty. I thought I was going to distract myself today by getting a dog but it doesn't look like that's going to work out. I am going to a movie with a friend though. That's always a special treat and good for at least 3-4 hours of NOT thinking about my fertility. Unless the friend asks about it or something, of course. In which case, I'll gladly yak about it, but she's single and childless, so she probably doesn't want to hear too much. I haven't decided if I'm going to test again tomorrow or not. I will keep an eye on my temp and decide based on that and how I feel tomorrow.

I'm still majorly stalking you, Baby Cakes.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
I'm still majorly stalking you, Baby Cakes.
Sorry about the lack of temp today, ladies. My therm was missing last night and I had just put Nora to bed so couldn't look for it. So, I didn't temp today. I found it though and will resume tmw!

But, it's ok, b/c...I just started spotting.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM

I am starting to HATE wanting to be pregnant and the whole roller coaster of emotions. I gave in yesterday and took the test I had. I figured that way I have none in the house, and so I can't be tempted and I won't buy any more until AF is late.

So that said... it was STARK white negative. Very disappointing. I pouted through yesterday morning, and then I went to work, got busy, and forgot about it. Not <<BUT>> now, every day, literally every HOUR that I don't start, I can feel my hopes go up again... only to remind myself that I still have a few days before 'nothing' means 'something'. *sigh*. So I'm back to Wednesday before I'll test again. Later if I can hold out. I really have no feelings right now one way or another, other than knowing that we only really have one bd in... so the chances arent high.

On that notes, Im overnight babysittingf again... so im going to go enjoy snuggles while i can.

Babycakes: Dont give up yet!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Baby Cakes I see you started AF.

JJ for you too.

I'm pretty much trusting my this morning and just waiting for

Unless...my tests all expired in April. Would that matter? I read a couple places online that said it could cause false negatives or false positives or invalid tests well which one and why? You wouldn't think it would just cause any old result...

I really don't think I'm pregnant though. I don't feel pregnant. I expect AF by Wednesday morning.

Here's my chart.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Carrie ~

JJ ~ I think it's possible you didn't O until cd17 or later.

Mel ~ Your temps still look very good to me.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 PM

MW: Yeah, it's totally possible. That's the most frustrating part is that everything is still up in the air. The test was 10dpo based on my 'current' o date, so it's plausible for it to have been too early, or wrong o date, or... a legitimate negative. I have possible o type cramping down for CD 10, which would be a bit early, and then other type light cramping in cd 22 and 25. None of that really tells me anything. I felt a 'gush' of something this morning, and felt my heart drop, sure it was AF starting ,but so far just creamy. I sure hope work is busy enough again to keep me distracted.

And I still can't find a thermometer. Urg. The only ones in the city are Life Brand, and temp only in C.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
MW: Yeah, it's totally possible. That's the most frustrating part is that everything is still up in the air. The test was 10dpo based on my 'current' o date, so it's plausible for it to have been too early, or wrong o date, or... a legitimate negative. I have possible o type cramping down for CD 10, which would be a bit early, and then other type light cramping in cd 22 and 25. None of that really tells me anything. I felt a 'gush' of something this morning, and felt my heart drop, sure it was AF starting ,but so far just creamy. I sure hope work is busy enough again to keep me distracted.

And I still can't find a thermometer. Urg. The only ones in the city are Life Brand, and temp only in C.
I hate being in limbo more than I hate af, just b/c the not knowing is so frustrating.

Why don't you just order one from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/BD-524560-Digi.../dp/B0000533AY

Even if you wait for , you could order it and have it in time to start temping for O confirmation.

BFS - hmm. I would think if the tests were completely invalid you wouldnt get a control line? But Hmm, I dunno.

AFM - thanks for all the love, ladies. AF is brutal this time too! DH and I talked, and agreed that the early testing is my problem. So, I'm going to stick w/the plan and keep it as low key as I can. The other thing is, he will be travelling this month and we may miss my fertile window completely. So, that's a huge giant big fat bummer.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Babycakes: I was so worried about that when DH's boss said he wanted to send him north. It's for two weeks, so there was a chance we would miss the entire fertile window. Thankfully we didn't... however we were both so stressed we barely got any bd in. Oh well... c'est la vie I suppose. He hates it up there, and won't be going back, even if he IS getting twice his wages. sigh.

Amazon won't ship to me in Canada, only if it's a book or movie. Everywhere I found that will ship, it's going to be like $30. Which is insane, when mine was like $12 initially. I think I might take a look at nicer grade 'regular' thermometers. At least they'll be a little more accurate than the one I have now.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Well, JJ, even if the O day you have set on your chart is correct, 10dpo is still early to expect a BFP.

Mel ~ I forgot to address the invalid test question. I really don't know. I would think if they are expired any one of those 3 things could happen, which would make any result invalid or unreliable.

Carrie ~ I'm in a similar situation. My dh said he'll be gone the last week of this month (not that we'd be trying but who knows). He should be home for September. Will be gone for 2 weeks in October and then gone for a month mid-November to mid-December. After that, I have to worry about him being picked for an Individual Augment (IA) deployment, which means a year+ again, because he will then be a Major Select. That means he has been selected to be promoted to Major but won't actually be promoted for about a year and a half and those are the guys that are most likely to be selected for IAs. So, it's very possible that we will not be together at the opportune times.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Amazon won't ship to me in Canada, only if it's a book or movie. Everywhere I found that will ship, it's going to be like $30. Which is insane, when mine was like $12 initially. I think I might take a look at nicer grade 'regular' thermometers. At least they'll be a little more accurate than the one I have now.
We cross-posted. Do you have any idea what actual shipping would be? I could try to find one for you and mail it if the shipping would be a lot less. I haven't seen any in the drugstores recently but Walmart or Target may have them.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
We cross-posted. Do you have any idea what actual shipping would be? I could try to find one for you and mail it if the shipping would be a lot less. I haven't seen any in the drugstores recently but Walmart or Target may have them.
I was just about to say, if you have paypal, I'll send you one and you can paypal me the money and shipping. It'd probably be way less than $30 for me to send you one!

MW - hugs. That sucks. DH is going to be doing a lot of travelling the next few months for trainings and certifications for his new job.
I mean, there's the slightest chance things might line up ok this cycle. I will be on CD13-14-15 when he comes home for the weekend so if I O when I normally do there is a chance. But I'm really not going to make it a big deal this month. I wasn't going to temp but DH said that he knows me, and he knows if I don't temp it's going to make me even more nuts than I normally am.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Not sure what it would be. I can't imagine much, as the thing is so small and light. I'm going to check a few stores again tomorrow, and then try to decide what to do.

In other news, the creamy CF now looks sliiiiightly pinkish. I'd say AF will be here later. This day sucks. I feel nauseus now, but I'm pretty sure it's just stress/nerves.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM

I just looked up shipping a 1 lb envelope or package to manitoba, canada (I hope that's right. I just guessed.) It would be around $5.00 for regular first class. It can't tell me how long it will take but I can't imagine it would take too, too long.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

to all who need them

Carrie - I'm sorry that AF found you

JJ - I hope that AF stays away

Mel - I agree with MW that your chart still looks good, I don't have any experience with expired tests though.

MW - I hope that you are doing okay.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
BFS - hmm. I would think if the tests were completely invalid you wouldnt get a control line? But Hmm, I dunno.
True. I guess I was just asking if anyone knew whether a false negative, a false positive, or a completely invalid result would be more likely with an expired test, and whether it's even a big deal if they're expired. I want to know WHY it would be possible to get a false negative. Tell me WHY WHY WHY!

I almost bought a test today at the grocery store but they were behind locked cabinets (WTH?) and so I didn't want to deal with that and I was already running late. It's probably better anyway. I can wait until shows or doesn't show to know for sure.

I'd like to have some coffee.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM

I didn't O. At least I can't see it.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28fb6b
I marked down light for today, because it's more than spotting. I noticed it after we bd, so it could be from that, but it's more than would be from that. Guess I'll see if it stops. Just weird. I woke up this morning and felt wet, so though AF automatically, but no. I just felt like I was going to get AF at any time this morning, and then forgot about it, until I noticed the blood when I wiped.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM

On the expired hpt question, I got a +hpt on an expired hpt w/my last pregnancy. FWIW.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
True. I guess I was just asking if anyone knew whether a false negative, a false positive, or a completely invalid result would be more likely with an expired test, and whether it's even a big deal if they're expired. I want to know WHY it would be possible to get a false negative. Tell me WHY WHY WHY!
Here's my guess but it's only a guess. Maybe over time the chemicals on the hpts that are supposed to react to and bind with the beta hcg become non-reactive. Then you might get a false negative because the hcg is there but there's nothing on the test for it to bind to. I don't know if that means no line would show up or if you would still get a control line. I'm confused about whether the control line would show up from any liquid or if that's also reactive but to hormones that closely resemble hcg like LH. The only chemical difference between beta hcg and LH is that hcg has that extra beta molecule. The basic chemical structure of the the are identical.

I think you would also get a "false" negative if you just didn't have enough hcg in your urine to make the test react. But then I wouldn't call it a false negative. The test is correct for what it's made to do. I mean, I wouldn't call the BFNs I got from 5-8dpo as false even though I was probably technically pregnant, at least after 6-7dpo. KWIM?

BBM ~ I don't see O on that chart either.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 AM

Thanks MW. I'm going to try to do another quick scout at the stores here tomorrow once I'm off work, and then if I'm still not having luck I think I'll take you up on the offer. I do have paypal, so it should be easy.

The pinkish creamy CF hasn't gotten any darker, maybe a bit lighter actually, so I'm counting that as a good sign, but still very aware that AF could show up at any moment. I told our puppy that I was going to need to cuddle him tonight. This was the first month we were both totally completely on board, and so even though there were so few bd, and it's understandable why this wouldn't be the month, it still feels like fail. I feel kind of silly though because out of spite I ate like crap today. I even told myself I was going to go get alcohol on Tuesday and drink to my hearts delight... just to be able to 'celebrate' not being pregnant. And I don't even like alchohol... I think I'm just trying to see the positive side. See, I may not be pregnant, but I can fill myself up on a diet of nestea and cheezies. So nyaaa!

And I think the explanation for the test makes perfect sense. For the control line, I guess all you would really have to do was put some water on a test to see if the control line still showed up. I think it would. I would also think that in a truly expired test (Not just past the date, but actually bad) you would be much more likely to get a false negative than a false positive, because as MW said, the chemical that binds with the hcg would be inactive. If there's no chemical, I can't see how it would turn positive.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
The pinkish creamy CF hasn't gotten any darker, maybe a bit lighter actually, so I'm counting that as a good sign
You might want to wait until you're sure one way or the other before I buy you that thermometer.

Ok, can I vent totally OT? We bought my 19yo ds a car about 6-8 weeks ago. He got a job quickly after getting the car. A relatively decent job for someone with only a GED, working at Jiffy Lube. There's room to learn new skills and move up, maybe one day become a manager. He's been going a little crazy spending his money but I figure that's normal since this is the first time he's really had his own income. He owes us about $100 for clothes he needed to start working. Last time he got paid he bought a new car stereo with CD player and new speakers. After that he was broke for a week and a half and was begging me for gas money. I was mad enough about that because I told him he couldn't afford the speakers.

So, what does he do when he got paid Friday? He spent almost his entire paycheck on an amp and accessories for his car! He literally only has $20 to get him through the next two weeks. If that's not bad enough, in trying to install the amp he messed up his car and now it won't start. So, in order for him to keep his job, I either have to pay to have his car fixed or drive him to and from work every day until he can pay for it himself. I'm so mad right now I don't even know what to say.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
You might want to wait until you're sure one way or the other before I buy you that thermometer.

Ok, can I vent totally OT? We bought my 19yo ds a car about 6-8 weeks ago. He got a job quickly after getting the car. A relatively decent job for someone with only a GED, working at Jiffy Lube. There's room to learn new skills and move up, maybe one day become a manager. He's been going a little crazy spending his money but I figure that's normal since this is the first time he's really had his own income. He owes us about $100 for clothes he needed to start working. Last time he got paid he bought a new car stereo with CD player and new speakers. After that he was broke for a week and a half and was begging me for gas money. I was mad enough about that because I told him he couldn't afford the speakers.

So, what does he do when he got paid Friday? He spent almost his entire paycheck on an amp and accessories for his car! He literally only has $20 to get him through the next two weeks. If that's not bad enough, in trying to install the amp he messed up his car and now it won't start. So, in order for him to keep his job, I either have to pay to have his car fixed or drive him to and from work every day until he can pay for it himself. I'm so mad right now I don't even know what to say.
It's hard to be watching people make mistakes when you feel like you have the answers to make things so much easier. My sister is 20, and I see her making very similiar choices. She's unemployed right now, by choice, and receiving a sick benefit (which her doctor offered, but really... she doesn't need). She has NO savings to speak of, is one of those people that puts $5 gas in the car, not because she's silly, but because that's all the cash she has. But then she goes on vacations every year, and just borrows the money from people. I know she's only 20, and this is 'her time', but it's ahrd to watch, so I get what you mean. My parents still bail her out all the time, because of similiar situations... if my mom doesn't pay her cell phone bill, then my sister won't call home. If my father doesn't put gas in her car, then she can't come visit, things like that. It's aggrevating.

And... the thermometer. I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, because it only hurts twice as much when they get dashed. I don't want to waste the money on something I potentially wouldn't need for 18 months... but on the other hand, maybe buying it is like insurance I won't need it! In other news, I checked CP, and it is HIGH like I've never seen it, but closed, and firm, almost rigid. It really brought home the difference between the soft mushy full feeling, and the small hard closed feeling I feel now. The CF I pulled out was barely there, I'm more dry today than yesterday, but it was still very very slightly pink. I figure tomorrow morning I should be able to tell one way or another if it's going to turn into something.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

JJ, could be O spotting too? I haven't seen your chart in a while.

My temp is trending down today. Didn't test. Waiting for

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM

You know, maybe they should include some pregnant woman's urine in every pack of ICs so we could have a positive control.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
My parents still bail her out all the time, because of similiar situations... if my mom doesn't pay her cell phone bill, then my sister won't call home. If my father doesn't put gas in her car, then she can't come visit, things like that. It's aggrevating.
Sounds like your sister's got it pretty good. I wouldn't pay for a child's phone just so s/he could call home or put gas in the car so s/he would visit. I certainly wouldn't give someone who didn't have a job money to go on vacation. But, hey, if people are willing to do that for your sister, why would she work? She's got it easy.

I told my ds that he will have to say goodbye to his entire next paycheck to pay us back. No more paying us $50 a paycheck until it's paid off because he obviously won't do that. I'll keep the cash and dole out just enough money to him for gas and food for work. I think he's just as angry with himself and feeling pretty foolish. My dh was out there trying to help ds by telling him he should read the instructions and go step-by-step but ds wouldn't listen. He just kept attaching wires willy nilly.

Mel ~ I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with hpts. If there's no line, it's negative. If there's a line within the time limit, it's positive no matter how light it is. If a line shows up outside the time limit, it's an evap line and the test is negative.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Mel ~ I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with hpts. If there's no line, it's negative. If there's a line within the time limit, it's positive no matter how light it is. If a line shows up outside the time limit, it's an evap line and the test is negative.
Oh I know, but if I dipped one of my expired tests in pregnant urine right now and it showed up positive, I could get rid of that niggling doubt in the back of my head and decide I am really not pregnant this cycle.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM

It's -possible- I could have not o'ed yet, but I don't feel it's likely. If so, this would be my longest cycle ever since I started getting my period, by a whole two weeks. But, I'm only going by CF, so like I said, still possible.

I do feel more crampy today, but the CF has kind of stopped. I still feel like AF is going to show.

Disclaimers: Temps with fever therm, and I'm new to cervix checking.

Date wise and with the EW, CD15 looks the most probably, but CD17 is also a possibility. My average LP is 12, which would make sense with AF coming today.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Oh I know, but if I dipped one of my expired tests in pregnant urine right now and it showed up positive, I could get rid of that niggling doubt in the back of my head and decide I am really not pregnant this cycle.
Ah, I gotcha. Well, I guess it serves you right for using expired tests.

Yesterday dh was showing me how he set everything up in our storage area. I made him rearrange it because he stacked a bunch of stuff so that I couldn't get to it after I told him I needed easy access. We never know when he's going to be gone and who knows when I might need to get to something. So, he was pointing out where everything is. He pointed at one box and said, "That's baby stuff that you probably won't need any time soon." He put it front and center, though.

Does that mean he thinks we will eventually need it? He didn't say anything about putting it in a yard sale or giving it away. I think he must be thinking we won't prevent in the future. Otherwise, why would he make comments like that rather than saying we need to get rid of it all? I don't think it's to spare my feelings or else he wouldn't have made the comment about not needing it soon. He didn't mean it in an insensitive way but it is a bit insensitive. KWIM?

Someone asked a while back if anyone cut out caffiene or alcohol, I think. I can't remember if I answered. I cut out alcohol a few months ago to help with weight loss because that's one of the easiest ways to cut extraneous calories. I think I'm also going to try to cut out caffeine. That's really hard for me because I love my coffee. I've tried to do it several times in the past by switching to lite coffee and then slowly weaning to decaf but I've never actually made it to nothing. Then I go out for breakfast once and have one cup of regular coffee and realize how crappy I've felt for so long without caffeine and I get back on regular coffee. Anyway, I'm trying it again now.

I'm also going to try to go gluten free again. I've read recently that gluten intolerance is associated with spontaneous miscarriage. I figure it can't hurt, right? I tried to go gluten free before when my dh was deployed but got overwhelmed. I think it will be easier this time because he's now into the Paleo diet so I can just eat whatever he makes.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Date wise and with the EW, CD15 looks the most probably, but CD17 is also a possibility. My average LP is 12, which would make sense with AF coming today.
Actually, CF-wise, cd17 is most likely O day since that's your last peak day. Watery is considered just as fertile as EW. Your peak day is the last day of fertile, i.e. watery or ew, CF or slippery vag sensation, whichever is last. I was thinking maybe implantation spotting, not O spotting. Why didn't you put the spotting on your chart?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM

I didn't because it isn't really even spotting. I just notice the the CF is slightly pink when I wipe. But as far as any coming out other than that... nada.

JUst got news DH is flying home in... 13 minutes! I won't be here to meet him, but that's a whole 9 days early!! Boo for money, but yay for seeing my husband!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM

JJ - yay! glad he's coming home!

MW - it sounds like you and your DH are getting close to being on the same page, that is good news!

I have been getting what looks to me like EWCF for like the last week, which is similiar to what happened last cycle also. don't know what that means, but I do think AF will show eventually.

Have we got any August grads? I can't recall! we stay so busy sometimes it is hard to remember!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

User Tag List