The August 'Whatever' Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
No problem. Are you sure you want to order it online? I assume that means you'd have it shipped to me and then I'd ship it to you. I can look in the stores here to see what I can find. Is there a particular brand or specific features that you wanted? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find the BD thermometer in the stores here but I might be able to get a Walmart one.
Hmm. I didn't think of that. I found the BD one for $9.49 on Amazon. That's the one that everyone has been raving about, right? I don't have any specifics I can think of, other than it needs to have F. The only one I can find in the city here is in C. I'd LOVE to find my old one, but from what I can see, it's discontinued (it's a purple/white Vicks one).

Any idea on price to buy it locally? I've only ever used the Vicks so I don't have experience with any other brands.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I'm just lost on how to find time for myself!
I give up the idea of getting time to myself. If I keep wanting it or expecting, I will always be frustrated and annoyed. If I can accept that it's just not going to happen during this particular time, I can deal with it much better. Knowing that my dh will eventually be home to relieve me helps. Maybe that's easier for me to do because I was a single parent for 9 years. There was no light at the end of the tunnel.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Babycakes-- Have you ever heard of or tried the 30 day shred? It's with Jillian Michaels, from BL, which I've never watched, but I love the video. It's only 30 minutes, but at the end of it, you feel amazing, and I noticed a difference after only a few days. Because it's so short, I've seen a lot of mamas say it was easier to fit in around naptimes/meals etc. I need to start again. I always start, do it for a few days, and then I have one off track day and it ruins my routine. I need to be better at sticking to things.

I'm very excited about being more ttc this month... but I'm also scared to get my hopes up. I've even noticed that when DH brings it up slyly like "yeah, maybe we'll make a baby..." I'm hesitant, and I'll respond something like "yeah... maybe...." It's like I'm afraid of 'failing' and so I don't want to try too hard. Ugh. I'm my own worst enemy.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
Hmm. I didn't think of that. I found the BD one for $9.49 on Amazon. That's the one that everyone has been raving about, right? I don't have any specifics I can think of, other than it needs to have F. The only one I can find in the city here is in C. I'd LOVE to find my old one, but from what I can see, it's discontinued (it's a purple/white Vicks one).

Any idea on price to buy it locally? I've only ever used the Vicks so I don't have experience with any other brands.
Ugh! I went to the CVS and Walmart today and had every intention of looking for thermometers and just totally forgot. I'd forget my head if it weren't attached.

I have the BD and I really like it. I like the constant beeping because that tells me it's working. I don't have to worry about bothering my dh with it because he's up and gone long before I take my temp. It has a backlight so I can see my temp right away. It also saves one temp so I don't have to remember or write it down right away. But it gets erased if you recheck it or the next time you use it so you do need to make sure you get it then.

I tried a Walmart one when I had lost my BD and I didn't like it. No beeping so I was always paranoid that it wasn't working. No backlight. It said it saved temps but I could never figure out how to get them recalled.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 PM

JJ - definitely go for the BD one. Around here it's like $11 or so. And I HAVE the 30 Day Shred! Maybe I'll dust it off - you're right that it's a killer workout. I remember barely making it through the first few times - on the easy level!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Ok maybe I'll just go with the BD one from amazon then. Maybe it'll be my good luck token and it'll get here too late, ensuring I won't need it at all
Did you want to PM me your address MW, and then I'll paypal you the shipping costs once we know how much it will be, or is there another way that will be easier? It's up to you, you're the one doing me a HUGE favor.

Babycakes: Yeah, I never really get past level 1. I like 3, but 2 is KILLER. I can't do the plank work.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Ok, I think I have a plan. This may sound really TTC to some of you but it's not compared to how we TTCed for ds2 and ds3. This is more of a miscarriage preventative.

I've got an appointment Tuesday with an OB for an annual exam and to discuss my miscarriages and everything else. This guy might actually know something because the woman on the phone got me an appointment with the head of the clinic and asked me to bring in any records I have. In the meantime, I've started taking metformin again tonight. I looked back and realized that when I got pg back in December I had not been taking the met for a full 3 months so I can't say that it doesn't help me. I'm going to continue with the low dose aspiring and will start using the progesterone as soon as I get confirmed O, so 3-4dpo. That's what I did when I got pg with ds2 and ds3 so I'm going to stick with it.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM

MW: I think that sounds like a good plan & definitely not over the top in your situation. The only thing I'd add (and I'm sure you've thought of this) is that I'd only do the progesterone w/a chance of pg, but not if the last BD was more than X number of days before O. Whatever X might be for you.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 AM

MW - those all sound like really good ideas. A good plan. You are being cautious and thinking ahead, which I think is wise.

Possible TMI - Has anyone here ever taken EPO? Last night I was hit with the worst tummy ache and spent quite awhile in the bathroom. It was awful, like I ate something bad. The only thing I did differently yesterday was take the epo.
I took it last pg after 37 weeks and I don't remember anything like this happening - I would have stopped right away. But I know that I took it to "encourage" things along regarding labor. Hmm. Just wondering if it bothered anyone else's tummy.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
The only thing I'd add (and I'm sure you've thought of this) is that I'd only do the progesterone w/a chance of pg, but not if the last BD was more than X number of days before O. Whatever X might be for you.
Oh, right. I had thought of that but then totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Now I just have to figure out how many days is too many. Should I go with O-5 or O-6?

Carrie ~ I have never taken EPO. Both my dh and my 19yo ds have had stomach problems the last 2 days. Maybe you coincidentally got something that's going around.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Since you guys are so understanding about my m/c prevention protocol I'm going to throw you a curve ball.

I'm going to try a girl sway. Here's my plan. I'm taking lots of calcium, magnesium and cranberry. I'm also going to start eating/drinking more dairy and white sugar rather than Truvia. I'm going to use opks and, if I have ewcf, I will not BD once I get a +. If I only have creamy CF, I will continue to BD as desired through and after O. I'm not going to push BD or schedule it. If we don't want to do it, we won't. The only thing I'll do in terms of that, like I said, is if we do want to do it but I've gotten a + opk, I'll wait until after confirmed O or 4 days have past. (This is all a maybe. A lot depends on when my dh will be home.)

Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ugh! I went to the CVS and Walmart today and had every intention of looking for thermometers and just totally forgot. I'd forget my head if it weren't attached.

I have the BD and I really like it. I like the constant beeping because that tells me it's working. I don't have to worry about bothering my dh with it because he's up and gone long before I take my temp. It has a backlight so I can see my temp right away. It also saves one temp so I don't have to remember or write it down right away. But it gets erased if you recheck it or the next time you use it so you do need to make sure you get it then.

I tried a Walmart one when I had lost my BD and I didn't like it. No beeping so I was always paranoid that it wasn't working. No backlight. It said it saved temps but I could never figure out how to get them recalled.

Can I just say, I loathe CVS but I LOVE their thermometer. I like it better than my BD, hands down. I only wish it had a back-light, that would be nice.

I temp vaginally so I like to be able to clean it well and the BD is hard plastic and it has a groove that is impossible to clean.

I would get another CVS therm in a second. I also had the vicks brand and liked it, but I like the CVS one better still!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM

MW, I really do not know a lot about the TTC side of all of this, but from what I know of you from being on the thread with you for two years, you get pregnant really easily. Your only problem is with staying pregnant. So I think you'd be totally fine to try for a girl. Don't really have any comments on if your plan would work for that though.

Speaking of which, I thought I kept reading that the Shettles method was disproven? Or is it just a "depends who you talk to" situation?

I'm on CD 4, so nothing to see here.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM

If shettles is the one in TCOYF, then I -think- what MW described is the opposite of it? I do remember something about it being disproven, but I don't know any details about the why, or even exactly what part of it was disproven.

But as a plan, I say go for it! I find myself pretty 50/50. I want a boy, because we have NONE in our family or friends, and it seems more 'exciting' to me right now. However, because of that-- almost all of the 'stuff' I have stockpiled is for girls, which is a plus in the girl category. And then since I've started babysitting again, both are little girls under a year, and they have me swooning, especially watching DH with them. I figure a baby either way will make me ecstatic, I'll be mroe picky for the next.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Speaking of which, I thought I kept reading that the Shettles method was disproven? Or is it just a "depends who you talk to" situation?
I'm a bit confused about the Shettles Method. I think the idea of just timing BD to get either a boy or girl has been disproven but there is/was a lot more to the Shettles method than just timing. Supposedly, it has more to do with pH of the vagina. Higher pH is less sperm friendly and favors girls because girl sperm is more hardy than male sperm. That's the reason for the vitamins, supplements and diet. It's supposed to lower your pH and keep you from getting water/ewcf, which is male sperm friendly. There are a lot of more extreme things that people do, like taking sudafed and douching with lemon juice an hour before intercourse and going on a very restrictive, unhealthy diet. I'm not going to do all of that.

If your pH is low enough and your wettest CF is creamy, you are supposed to have intercourse every day for several days before, during and after O (that's probably the opposite of what you've read about Shettles for a girl). That's supposed to deplete male sperm and make it more likely that there will be a majority of female sperm waiting for the egg. If I have watery/ewcf, the fall back is the Shettles cutoff of 3-4 days before O. We'd probably be closer to a 2-3 day cutoff because I usually O within a day or two of getting a + opk.

Like you said, I seem to get pg easily so stopping BD a day or two before I O (assuming I O 12-48 hours after a + opk) with watery/ewcf should still work for us. I'm not going to force BD, though. I'm not going to even try to do it every day. We average every 2-3 days when we just go with the flow and that's fine with me. I'm mostly just going to take the vitamins that can't hurt anything anyway and see what happens. I'm also taking flaxseed oil that majorly increases my ewcf so I may be negating my own efforts.

There is also a method called O+12. The idea is to abstain for a week before O and then bd 12 hours after O. That's supposed to result in a girl. There is absolutely no scientific data to support that. It's totally anecdotal based on one woman's experience. It sounds pretty farfetched to me because I think it's highly unlikely to get pg after O under any circumstances. Plus, with my dh's training and work schedule, I have no idea if he'll be here at and right after O like that. If we tried that and abstained for a week, we might completely miss O all together.

I read an interesting article today saying that having a first-born boy can result in a higher instance of miscarriage later. It has something to do with male hormones lingering in the mother's body and causing her body to produce antibodies that may attack another baby. That would somewhat support my idea that I may not be able to have girls for some reason. 3 boys from 2 different fathers, 7 losses and no girls is interesting, to me anyway.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM

MW - that is pretty interesting stuff. I, too, say go for it, b/c at this point you know you can get pg. Might as well sway it in your favor. I certainly hope there is a little girl in your future! DH and I tried to conceive a girl the first go round and it worked - but I don't know how much of that was what we did vs. nature doing what it was going to do anyway. We DTD O-2 and O-4, but that's all. No supplements, no special positions, no nothing else. I was afraid I wasn't going to get pg at all and was so bummed out, lol. Then, lo and behold, we have little Nora. Can't hurt to try!

And how can you possibly know when 12 hours after O is? I mean, I guess if you do OPKs like crazy, you would see it to the hour, but still. Geez! That's a lot of OPKs and obsessing! I don't think I could do that.

JJ - I'm 50/50 with boy vs girl. In some ways, I really would love to have another girl b/c I can see Nora w/a little sister. I have a TON of girl stuff, and I wouldn't have to change their room much. I could call it "the girls' room" and that feels comfortable and like home. But ... I would LOVE a little boy! I can also see Nora w/a little brother. I would really like to see DH w/a son. Sigh. I will be so happy with either.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
And how can you possibly know when 12 hours after O is? I mean, I guess if you do OPKs like crazy, you would see it to the hour, but still. Geez! That's a lot of OPKs and obsessing! I don't think I could do that.
Yeah, I don't really know how that's done either. It does have something to do with timing BD a certain # of hours after your first + opk. Like you said, I don't know how anyone could pinpoint it to the hour like that. I don't know if you remember I posted a while back something I read that said the egg normally only lives for about 12 hours. Then how in world can anyone get pg from dtd only 12 hours after O? It just doesn't make sense. A lot of the girl sway stuff is detrimental to getting pg at all, which is one reason I won't do it hardcore (The other being that I just don't think it's good for anyone). The boy sway stuff is very pg friendly.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM

There must be something in the air, because MW, I remember you made a comment a few days back about being wayy too early in your cycles to be in the mood, especially based on hormones, and I'm in the same boat now. I'm on CD6 (oh ps, Thanks FF for the useless VIP again), not ready to dtd yet, but for several nights now I've been having frisky dreams. Soooo weird, as really, I have a low, low sex drive and am never really excited about it until we've actually started. And now I am, but it's too early for me to feel comfortable. Seriously body, wtf?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 PM

i also have a pretty low drive. trying to work it out... jj, i totally relate to what you said. dh is now gone for 8 days, so i know i'll want to bd when he gets back.

i would like a girl, methinks. although, i would be ever so happy with a boy. and dh and ds & ds would probably love a boy. my dd would love and talks a lot about little one being a sister. for a long time now...

ladies, i changed ff to "research" method and got this:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/27628e

thoughts??

"advanced" gives me dotted crosshairs on cd17. i want to be hopeful for the cd11, because then there's a chance of pg (we dtd on the night of cd7). our last surprise baby was also conceived with a cd11 ovulation. is that a bit early for an egg to be mature?

xo
happy weekend!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 PM

I don't think you have enough data for CD11. I would probably confirm for CD17, though I don't know why it would only give you dotted. What happens when it's on FAM?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
I don't think you have enough data for CD11. I would probably confirm for CD17, though I don't know why it would only give you dotted. What happens when it's on FAM?
my mistake. it's fam that gives dotted. advanced gives regular old crosshairs. i don't feel pg, and i'd guess i would if i had o'd on cd11... puts me at 14dpo today. i guess i should start temping earlier

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM

BHappy: I'd go w/17.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-28-2010, 02:10 PM

BHappy ~ I have to stick with cd17 because that's when you have a clear and sustained thermal shift. You don't have one before then. To confirm a cd11 O, you'd need the temps on cds 12-14 to be above 97.8. You don't have that. For a cd13 O confirmation, you'd need cds 14-16 to be above 97.9 and you don't have that. You have bd on cd14, which is better for a cd17 O than the bd on cd7 would be for a cd11 O, unless it was withdrawal or condom use or something like that.

A cd11 O is possible. I think cd9 or 10 is the earliest considered within the normal range. You have a really short . Are you sure this is a new cycle and not an extension of last cycle?

I don't recommend using the research O detector. It's not reliable at all. That's the program they use for testing changes they want to make to the software so it's not proven. I recommend using FAM. That should give you the most conservative interpretation most of the time. Although, lately FAM has been weird, which makes me wonder if they've been changing it. Also, don't ever rely completely on the software to pinpoint O regardless of which O detector you use. It's a limited computer program and only as good as the finite parameters set by the programmer.

I was talking to dh today about my sex drive. He asked me last night if I was Oing because I've wanted to dtd every night, which hasn't happened in a long time. I wonder if it's because I've stopped breastfeeding. Also, we've moved the boys into their own beds in their own room, which gives us more private time. We still have to play musical beds a little because the boys won't go to sleep unless we lay down with them but once we get into our bed we don't have to move again. I fell asleep for a few minutes with ds3 and woke up around 11. I tried to go back to sleep without waking dh to go back to our room to dtd but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally woke him up and told him to come on!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
BHappy: I'd go w/17.
Quote:
BHappy ~ I have to stick with cd17 because that's when you have a clear and sustained thermal shift. You don't have one before then. To confirm a cd11 O, you'd need the temps on cds 12-14 to be above 97.8. You don't have that. For a cd13 O confirmation, you'd need cds 14-16 to be above 97.9 and you don't have that. You have bd on cd14, which is better for a cd17 O than the bd on cd7 would be for a cd11 O, unless it was withdrawal or condom use or something like that.

A cd11 O is possible. I think cd9 or 10 is the earliest considered within the normal range. You have a really short . Are you sure this is a new cycle and not an extension of last cycle?

I don't recommend using the research O detector. It's not reliable at all. That's the program they use for testing changes they want to make to the software so it's not proven. I recommend using FAM. That should give you the most conservative interpretation most of the time. Although, lately FAM has been weird, which makes me wonder if they've been changing it. Also, don't ever rely completely on the software to pinpoint O regardless of which O detector you use. It's a limited computer program and only as good as the finite parameters set by the programmer.
thanks, guys. i appreciate your thoughts. keeps me from going down the rat hole.

mw ~ yes, my moon blood is short. typical is 4 days for me. thank you for your advice on ff and info on thermal shift. now fam is giving me full crosshairs, and advanced is dotted. go figure. anyway, they both say cd17. the bd on cd14 was protected. condom. no failure that i know of. so no chance really for this month. i like to think there's always some chance... heheheh. oh well

Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post
mw ~ yes, my moon blood is short. typical is 4 days for me. thank you for your advice on ff and info on thermal shift. now fam is giving me full crosshairs, and advanced is dotted. go figure. anyway, they both say cd17. the bd on cd14 was protected. condom. no failure that i know of. so no chance really for this month. i like to think there's always some chance... heheheh. oh well
Oh, well...

Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM

MW, ok the whole girl/boy thing is way more complicated than I thought. LOL

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
MW, ok the whole girl/boy thing is way more complicated than I thought. LOL
Yeah, it's crazy, isn't it?

I was thinking about that in the shower today. I used to really, really want a girl and just knew I'd be disappointed if I had another boy. I would still love that boy but would miss my little girl so much. Today, though, I realized that I really don't care that much. I just want another baby. A girl would be nice but I'll be just as happy with a boy.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM

just couldn't totally let go of this cycle...

bfn this am. woke with a high temp, way tender breasts. took a test, because i just wanted to stop wondering. ff on fam still thinks i O'd on cd17. today it isn't dotted lines. if cd11 had been O, i would've got a bfp by now at 15dpo.

just gonna try and chillax through the rest of this lp (usually 11-12 days, so 3 to go before )... wish me luck!

xo

Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Bhappy. Hang in there. Limbo sucks. I'm always just relieved to be out of the 2ww so hopefully af doesnt keep you hanging.

I'm ambivalent this cycle. Last night dh wanted to dtd and I didn't want to. Usually I'm 100% good to go, any chance to make a baby. Must not be fertile yet, lol!

I'm just not sure what I want anymore. I feel like letting go of the obsessiveness and just letting things happen. Maybe it's b/c I started all my supplements and feel like I'm doing the best I can, and that has to be good enough? Hmm. Not sure.

More and more I'm just enjoying DD and maybe thinking I want her to be older before adding another kiddo. At this point she will be close to 3 if I were to get pg this cycle.

I'm already into June for an EDD. So, as for not wanting to be pg over the summer, I'm already into dangerous territory. Kinda bums me out a bit...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm looking at an end of May EDD. Last month would have been May 2nd. It seemed to perfect.... I can do June, but the thought of it being July honestly makes me want to cry. I'm able to admit to myself more lately how bad I want this, but it also makes me feel a little sick. I don't want to want it so bad, it honestly feels a little manic sometimes... I'm a perfectionist, and so now that we're 'trying', every month that I'm not pregnant, feels like a failure, even though it's totally normal for it to take a few months.

However-- I have to say, there is a lot to be said for not having tests in the house. Once I took that last one, I was able to relax a bit more, knowing that to take one, i would have to go out of the house and purchase a new one. I almost bought IC's when I was looking for my thermometer, but held off.

I haven't temped yet this cycle and I really need to, even if the therm. isn't all that accurate, it's better than nothing. But I'm on CD7 I think, and today started getting 'fresh' looking spotting after the previous days being normal end of AF flow. Very odd, it's usually darker at this point. Like I said though- not having a test in the house, helps, because otherwise I think I might have pulled one out, some sort of last ditch effort that maybbbbbeeee it wasn't a real AF... even though the signs all tell me it was.

User Tag List