The August 'Whatever' Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 491 Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it okay if I start the new thread? I'm new to this! We have a DS who is 8.5, a DD who is 14 months, are getting married in two weeks, and we are whatever-ing. We don't have a verbal agreement about it, but that's how it's been working out

We use FAM right now, but I think DP wants another baby more than he admits - he's not too into using bc, ever

I'd love to have another baby sometime soon - getting pregnant sometime this late fall or winter would be great!

So, I hope I can join in the conversation!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM

Oops! Almost ended up with two threads. Can you just add in the Stats from last month?

July Whatever Stats:
Posters: 24
Regular Posters (more than 1 post/not already pregnant): 16

July Graduates: Neuromancer

June Graduates:
lyterae
jozmom
kcroto42

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 AM

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

The song came on while I was at work today, and all I could think was how -perfect- it was. Here's to August ladies!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

The song came on while I was at work today, and all I could think was how -perfect- it was. Here's to August ladies!
That's great - I'll have to tell DP that one

Thanks for letting me post the thread - and for adding the stats from last month (I didn't know I was supposed to do that). I hope I didn't step on your toes - it didn't occur to me there might be a procedure to these things

BTW - I'm in my 20's also, and have adrenal fatigue I've been drinking gota kola/chrysanthemum/licorice tea, and it's helped a lot!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#5 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 AM

No, no problem. As long as it gets started, that's all that matters.

I'll have to look into the tea. I took ginseng for a bit and I felt like it might have been helping, but then I got really really sick randomly, and even though I know in my head it's not related, I can't bring myself to take them anymore.

#6 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, no problem. As long as it gets started, that's all that matters.

I'll have to look into the tea. I took ginseng for a bit and I felt like it might have been helping, but then I got really really sick randomly, and even though I know in my head it's not related, I can't bring myself to take them anymore.
The tea has made such a huge difference. I also went off grain (as a personal choice) and corn products. I have beef with Monsanto. Anyway, both of those choices have helped tons too!

I have tons more energy and that's saying a lot, as my 14 month old DD still BF's 8-12 times a day.

#7 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Subbing.

Babycakes ~ Creacmy CF is fertile. EWCF is very fertile. There is something called leukhorrea (never sure if that's spelled correctly) that can resemble ewcf and can occur right after . It's perfectly normal and not fertile.

Ovusoft gave me crosshairs today for cd18.

My Ovusoft Chart

FF gives me dashed crosshairs for cd16.

My FF chart

So I could be either 8, 5 or only 3dpo.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#8 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Subbing.

Babycakes ~ Creacmy CF is fertile. EWCF is very fertile. There is something called leukhorrea (never sure if that's spelled correctly) that can resemble ewcf and can occur right after . It's perfectly normal and not fertile.

Ovusoft gave me crosshairs today for cd18.

My Ovusoft Chart

FF gives me dashed crosshairs for cd16.

My FF chart
Ah, that's interesting and good to know. And yeah, I know creamy is potentially fertile, too, I just usually get that buffer so it was unusual. Maybe it was just this mystical leukorrhea.

Both of your CH's are pretty exciting...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
So I could be either 8, 5 or only 3dpo.
And you're not testing yet? Oh, I forgot, this is the thread where I'm supposed to discourage you from testing.

Thanks for the new thread! My first official month of not avoiding getting pregnant! Ever! I'm really in the whatever spirit right now - just whatever happens, I am ok with it!

We'll see how I feel when I start getting to the part of my cycle where it matters....

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#10 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
And you're not testing yet? Oh, I forgot, this is the thread where I'm supposed to discourage you from testing.
You obviously didn't look too closely at my Ovusoft chart. I've been poas since cd18 because I thought I was 5dpo. Like I explained before (I think), I know I won't get a bfp that early but it gets the urge to poas out and gives me definite bfns to compare with other tests later. I buy IC hpts in bulk so each one is less than $1 so I don't feel guilty about wasting money on them.

Fun time for you!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#11 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Both of your CH's are pretty exciting...
Forgot to respond to this. Yes, luckily no matter which one of the possible 3 days I Oed, I'm covered. IMO, BD timing is actually better if I Oed later because I got it in the few days before O rather than just on O day.

#12 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

MW AND BFS- HAHA I was going to egg her on (MW) to test too. LOL But I see there is no egging on necessary.

Hi everyone and happy AUGUST!

The bday party was quite fun yesterday. We all had a blast and eventhough it was small, i liked it that way!

My thermometer is doing something weird. Its not going above like 97.5. It takes forever to get into the 97's. It reads in the 97's at 10 pm if I try it, last night DF was 97.33 at 8 pm. So yeah I think I might have oed but the therm is being weird. I am always in the 97.4 range pre O, at 5 am. Yesterday it read 97.1. I took it again right after just to see and it said 96.99. This morning at nearly nine AM (I didn't get to temp this am) it was 97.47. So something seems off to me.

I took a pg test just to make sure and obviously it was BFN.

So off to walmart to get a new therm. This is soooo frustrating because now I have to wait till af shows and then start all over. UGH

I guess it could be A. I am not ovulating because of Depo. or B. the therm is broken. Either way I am pretty done with temping this cycle. We bded a lot this cycle and we will continue to do that with no more than 2 day spaces in between. Once AF shows I will start temping around cd 5 or 7 most likely.

I did get 2 pack of those pregnancy tests, lol. So in case peeing is necessary, I know just where to aim it.

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#13 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM

MW- I meant to say, I think the FF chart crosshairs look accurate. but I could be totally wrong.

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#14 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You obviously didn't look too closely at my Ovusoft chart. I've been poas since cd18 because I thought I was 5dpo. Like I explained before (I think), I know I won't get a bfp that early but it gets the urge to poas out and gives me definite bfns to compare with other tests later. I buy IC hpts in bulk so each one is less than $1 so I don't feel guilty about wasting money on them.

Fun time for you!
LOL no, I only looked at your FF chart. I was thinking you should be testing by now, because I know of your obsession.

#15 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM

T ~ I'm glad the party was fun. I prefer small parties. I always wonder why people have huge parties for their young children. I wait until my kids start asking before I get extravagant about it. Sounds like a low battery on the thermometer.

Ok, you guys are not helping me at all! I already had 20 hpts but I ordered 10 more just in case I didn't O until cd18. I hate worrying about running out. To be honest, I am just not feeling it this cycle. I know that probably doesn't mean that much to you guys but I've always been very confident in the past that I was pg and I was never wrong. I had awful cramps last night. They woke me at around 2 am and I had to take some ibuprofen to get back to sleep. Yesterday and today I've had this overall sad feeling like I'm constantly on the verge of tears. I hate lp hormones. I think I tell you guys that every cycle (if you used to be on the CTA thread).

#16 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
T ~ I'm glad the party was fun. I prefer small parties. I always wonder why people have huge parties for their young children. I wait until my kids start asking before I get extravagant about it. Sounds like a low battery on the thermometer.

Ok, you guys are not helping me at all! I already had 20 hpts but I ordered 10 more just in case I didn't O until cd18. I hate worrying about running out. To be honest, I am just not feeling it this cycle. I know that probably doesn't mean that much to you guys but I've always been very confident in the past that I was pg and I was never wrong. I had awful cramps last night. They woke me at around 2 am and I had to take some ibuprofen to get back to sleep. Yesterday and today I've had this overall sad feeling like I'm constantly on the verge of tears. I hate lp hormones. I think I tell you guys that every cycle (if you used to be on the CTA thread).
MW - that's how I felt last cycle, like I just had a feeling that I wasn't going to be pg. I didn't trust it b/c the cycle before that I was convinced I was pg, and ended up not. I've learned that I just can't trust that gut feeling, lol.

What do you think of ICs? For some reason, even though i know they are uber sensitive, I don't trust them. I feel like FRERs are more "reliable" for early testing...what do you experts think??

I don't think I'm going to order any more of those. I think I'll just quit it w/the early testing and wait til 10 or 11 dpo to start w/FRERS. Oh, and I bought a 2 pack of CBE digis to use in case of a super faint 2nd line, lol.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#17 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
What do you think of ICs? For some reason, even though i know they are uber sensitive, I don't trust them. I feel like FRERs are more "reliable" for early testing...what do you experts think??
I don't trust FRERs. I've never liked them. I think back in the day when I first started TTC FRER was notorious for false + or evap lines. If I were going to use a more expensive hpt, it would be Answer Early. I trust those much more. Funny thing is they are made by the same company. I don't know why FRER is so much more expensive. I get bfps earlier with ICs and $ Store hpts than either Answer Early or FRER and get bfps earlier with Answer Early than FRER. I've never had a problem with the ICs or the $ Store tests like false + or evap lines but that may be because I knew all about that sort of thing long before I started using them.

I don't believe in false +. I think when someone says they got a false + it was more likely an evap or a chem pg. Maybe it's just the way the phrase is used and people actually mean an evap when they say false +. I don't know but it drives me crazy. Say exactly what you mean, please.

#18 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

OMG I know what you mean. No such thing really as a false positive -- it's a chemical or something, or an evap that you didn't read right. LOL we're so horrible.

I've been seeing a lot of ppl in TTC talking about these Answer tests. I still have 6 or 7 ICs left from my lot of 20. That's good to know that you did get bfps on them early. I just keep seeing pics where ppl test from 8 or 9 dpo on, and even the 14 and 15 dpo ICs aren't that dark of a bfp. Makes me think they're not that great of a test.

#19 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Well, the darkness of the line doesn't really mean anything. A line is a line. The last time I used FRER (May 2009) the line was very faint while the lines on my ICs and $ Store tests were darker. Same with the Answer Early. I remember questioning if they'd decided to get stingy with the dye. I've got a photobucket album of them if you want to see. The lines on all the tests are really hard to see but there's a digital test that is + to prove I'm not completely insane.

#20 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM

I def think the batteries were going. I couldn't find the right ones so I got a new thermometer all together. I am going to use it tomorrow, but really I know it won't be accurate in relation to the temps with the old thermometer. At least if its high I will know I did O at some point.

#21 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoAandA View Post
I def think the batteries were going. I couldn't find the right ones so I got a new thermometer all together. I am going to use it tomorrow, but really I know it won't be accurate in relation to the temps with the old thermometer. At least if its high I will know I did O at some point.
What a bummer!

Quote:
Well, the darkness of the line doesn't really mean anything. A line is a line.
Am I wrong in thinking that if it's faint at 14-15 dpo it wouldn't show up as early? Wouldn't there be nothing at 9 or 10 dpo then?

#22 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Am I wrong in thinking that if it's faint at 14-15 dpo it wouldn't show up as early? Wouldn't there be nothing at 9 or 10 dpo then?
It depends on the sensitivity of the test and how much dye is on it. Not all ICs are the same and not all hpts are made to detect less than 100 mIU. Faint is a relative term, too. I've had bfps that were so faint I'm sure many others would say they were negative. I could just barely see a line, though. So what one else person calls faint may not be the faintest the test could be, if that makes sense.

#23 of 491 Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 PM

MommatoAandA, i think even switching thermometers, your temps should be pretty accurate. thermometers are not that different, are they? or did you just mean because your old one was messed up?
am i the only person on here who charts on paper? do you all love the online charts? maybe i will try them.
when i was ttc #1 i was very anxious about when to test and wanted to test as soon as possible. but now that we're "whatevering"... i think i'm ok with waiting til my temps look good for pg, like at least 14 dpo (esp easy since i haven't made it past 9dpo before AF, what with my short LP from nursing.) this month i feel excited because of the ewcm, but we shall see. i'm thinking i ovulated today based on cm change and cp change but must wait for temp spike to be sure.
#24 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 AM

I chart with FF only because that's what i started using, and so to me it 'looks right'. I've got a touch of ocd, so everything looking orderly and neat is pretty important to me.

Unless I feel very very strongly, I don't plan on testing before 12dpo, which is essentially my normal LP. I figure I'll save tests, and have to see the darn negative less.

As for thermometers hilary549 -- you actually do have to be careful. I don't know -why- exactly, but they do read differently. It's funny because I've noticed my 'fever' thermometer, seems to read a lot lower than my BBT thermometer.

That said, I still can't decide if I should buy a new one or not. If I'm going to temp, I should probably start soon. Otherwise I'll just go by CF. Are there any reasons not to use a BBT to detect fevers? Will it not work properly for something like that? I can't see why not... but maybe there's something I'm missing.

#25 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
As for thermometers hilary549 -- you actually do have to be careful. I don't know -why- exactly, but they do read differently. It's funny because I've noticed my 'fever' thermometer, seems to read a lot lower than my BBT thermometer.

That said, I still can't decide if I should buy a new one or not. If I'm going to temp, I should probably start soon. Otherwise I'll just go by CF. Are there any reasons not to use a BBT to detect fevers? Will it not work properly for something like that? I can't see why not... but maybe there's something I'm missing.
Yep - my new thermometer runs WAY higher than my old one.

The issue with using a BBT to detect fevers is they don't go high enough I believe. I'm not sure how high they go (they are probably all different) but if they get above that temp they will just show HIGH. So you will know that you have a fever, but you won't know how high a fever you have.

#26 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Mel- I was wondering that! Good to know that they don't really detect fevers. HMMMM Mine never goes above 98.

Hilary- yeah if my other therm was broken then it kind of might be inaccurate. I'm not sure what is really going on with my cycle now. I guess I just have to wait for the hag to show, or not.

So, my temp is up this am. out of the 97.4 range. it was 97.5. I am wondering if my old therm was right and I just had a temp dip? the temp dip makes somewhat of sense if you look at my CM. I immediately had a shift in CM the next day. there was a distinct difference. today its like a stickyish creamyish. Although that wouldn't explain being 97.4 at almost 8:30 am yesterday. So I am not sure I oed. I might have. the worst part is, I have not had a normal cycle since before I started the Depo and even then I was nursing. I have no idea when to expect the hag. UGHHH

Here is my chart if anyone wants to look. the discarded temps were mornings I got less than 3 consecutive hours because the kids had me up.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2ab513

#27 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM

T ~ Based on what you have there, you haven't Oed yet. You don't even have the start of a thermal shift. With the temps you have in there it looks like your CL would be just below 97.6. May I suggest that you not record your temps to the 100th of a degree? It's not helpful and it can confuse things. Just round your temps to the nearest 10th of a degree and go with that. That will make things much easier to interpret.

As far as switching thermometers mid-cycle, TCOYF recommends against because thermometers can vary. I think it's more important for CTA purposes. It's not quite as important to confirm O when TTC and especially not whatevering.

The FF pg monitor gave me the percentage of pg tests that are + at 9dpo today. It has a table to see the frequency of brands so I checked. According to the charts on FF that have been analyzed, ICs are + at 9dpo 18.2% of the time while FRER are + only 11.4% of the time. Answer Early are + 14.2% of the time. There are other brands listed there but the ICs have the highest frequency of + at 9dpo. 2nd is Equate brand from Walmart (surprisingly) and 3rd is $ Store. Can you tell how obsessed I am with poas? It's shameful.

#28 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The FF pg monitor gave me the percentage of pg tests that are + at 9dpo today. It has a table to see the frequency of brands so I checked. According to the charts on FF that have been analyzed, ICs are + at 9dpo 18.2% of the time while FRER are + only 11.4% of the time. Answer Early are + 14.2% of the time. There are other brands listed there but the ICs have the highest frequency of + at 9dpo. 2nd is Equate brand from Walmart (surprisingly) and 3rd is $ Store. Can you tell how obsessed I am with poas? It's shameful.
You and I are kindred spirits. This is fascinating to me!

#29 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM

MW - it is okay to obsess if you want! I wasn't absolutely sure I was pregnant with DS prior to testing. In all my prior cycles, I notices my boobs got larger and more tender prior to AF - when AF was about to hit (day of, or day before) they "deflate" on 12 DPO they were still large(r) and tender, my temp was still up, so then I felt confident enough to POAS. I was surprised to see the "pregnant" though. After so long of trying (it felt really long - nearly 2 years) I just didn't trust my gut anymore.

Now I can't go by my boobs! they are always large feeling, since I'm nursing! LOL so much for that barometer.

I am 5 DPO myself; no change of pregnancy though, so just waiting for AF. seems my average LP is 11-13 days, so I have maybe a week.

DH bought a ton of IC's when we TTC DS. I just don't like PIAC. I want to POAS! thankfully a internet buddy sent me her extras (FRER, Answer, etc) when she got pregnant. Even a FRER with conception indicator, which you can't find in the states (she bought off eBay). I wish they sold those here, though!

If you can't use a BBT to detect fevers, is there anything wrong with using a regular thermometer for charting?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#30 of 491 Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM

I can't use my boobs anymore either. The only way I knew I was pg w/DD was that they started aching and feeling heavy at 9dpo. Now, every cycle, they're achey and heavy right before AF. So I can't go by them any more either!

And I know we talked about this before, but I will only PIAC! I can't POAS. I feel like it's messy and I might miss. And what if I need to take another test b/c that one is defective or something?? All that pee wasted!

Here is something I found regarding BBT vs normal therms:

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/thermometers.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page