The August CTA/Fertility Awareness Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 318 Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
August 2010

Welcome to the August 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" , and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in July, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me or post and let me know. I cannot promise to make all the changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything. To those who are new, welcome!

Please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If I need to fix it, please link to your chart and ask in bold. Thanks!

You must post in August if you want to be on the August list!

Who We Are:

bbrandonsmom
Toolip
RaraAvis
lovebeingamomma
Smokering
HulaJenn
Blueone
Smylingeyz
jodi5
Guthu
MissE
LionessMom
lalemma
KBL7
crabbyowl

BettinaAuSucre
jessica_anne010
K-Mom3
knittinanny
Mom2SammyJoe
katydidbug
Got_Cloth
AnnieA

Graduates

Wholewheatchick - Due in Dec. 2010
OsUvet - Due in Feb. 2011
Echospiritwarrior - Due in Feb. 2011
Lyterae - Due in Feb. 2011
Dex_Millie - Due in Feb. 2011
annie2186

TTC/TTW/No Longer TTA

Baby_Cakes
jeninejessica
BarefootScientist
MovingMomma

Good luck to those of us who are now TTC!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:

Taking
Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila

Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:

Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:

AF: Aunt Flo, your period
AFM: as for me
BD: baby dancing; bed dancing (i.e. sex)
BFP: positive pregnancy test (big fat positive)
BFN: negative pregnancy test (big fat negative)
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CTA: Charting to Avoid
CTW: Charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

Happy Charting Everyone!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Baby Cakes, can you move me down to graduates and just put that I'm now TTC? I just don't personally want to be on the avoiding list since I'm not avoiding this month! I'll still sub and keep up on you guys but I probably won't be posting much...good luck to all of you on your charting journeys!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#3 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, Baby. Can you take me off the list, too? I don't want to be moved to a graduates or TTC list, though. Just not avoiding.

For the rest of you charting experts, I need your opinions on my chart. As you all know, I think I may have Oed on cd13 based on CF data mostly but in combo with the fact that my temps after that are all normal post-O temps. FF gave me dashed crosshairs on cd16. The crosshairs are dashed because my CF and CP don't match up. I don't think my temps match up with that either. Ovusoft just gave me crosshairs today for cd18. That looks possible with just temps but my CF and CP do not match up at all. I'm looking for when you all think O is most likely, not when you all think I'm safe for CTA.

My Ovusoft Chart

My FF Chart

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
For the rest of you charting experts, I need your opinions on my chart.
IMO I would vote for 15 or 18, but really it's hard to call since you sometimes have lower coverlines. Either way. . .

BFS: Are you having a blast? I think a planned pregnancy sound like fun!

Annie2186: how's the 2ww? Are your temps still down?

BTW, my brother and his wife just announced their pregnancy -- they are SO EXCITED!

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
#5 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah, you can move me to the "not TTA anymore" section, whatever that ends up being, but as the others said, I'll still be here reading and lurking.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 PM

MW - I vote for CD 13 but yeah...I wouldn't bet anything on it. What were your secondary signs (like cramps) like?

#7 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
What were your secondary signs (like cramps) like?
I've got mild cramps marked for cds 13-17 then 2 days of nothing than cramps again cds 20 and 21, which is today. I've got O pain marked for cds 14 and 15 but I don't really know if it's O pain. I had what felt like sharp pains off and on both of those days. I actually get those intermittently throughout my cycles. I mark it as O pain so I can go back later and see if it lines up with O. I ,don't know how that helps to pinpoint anything, though, since O pains can happen before, during or after O. I'm just going to be going until something happens.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#8 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM

MW: in the precious thread I had voted for cd18 - i think it is most likely. But that is only really important if you are testing and getting BFN's because I'd say that is the latest possible O.

AFM: Here is my chart for the list
My Chart

hoping that CTA worked this month, but then the next 6 months are kinda whatever until DH's V (not scheduled yet )

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#9 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Updated to here!

I made a category for TTC/TTW/Not TTA - MW, if you're ok w/it I'll put you under that heading. I don't like just removing you since you're such a big part of this thread. Lmk.

Good luck, BFS! I'll see you on the whatever thread and in TTC.

We're officially going to "try" this month too, not sure quite what that means, if it means anything different than whatevering for us, but hopefully it means a May baby for us!

I'll still need you guys for FAM support, charting and whatever, so I'll be around. Plus I love a good complicated mysterious chart to figure out if anyone needs help deciphering theirs. So, happy charting everyone!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 PM

WOOOOO!
Periods are starting to act like normal! I NEVER thought I would be happy to be dripping blood!

When I figure out how to do the online charting posting or find a scanner cable(I like doing paper because I can customize it more, I like seeing moon signs/positions), I shall post my charts!

Boy am I hot! WHY is it so hot?! I want chocolate....

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/Guthu/charts/7.aspx Hope you guys can see that, cycle 6
I do not much care for this website, think I am going to stick to paper, I am going to abduct one of those free charts though, it looks promising

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu
#11 of 318 Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Hi there
I lurked here last month and thought I would post and get a bit more involved.
My DS is 3 and DD is 15 months. I learned NFP through the home study course between kids and used what I learned to help conceive DD the first real month of trying. I never even heard of TCOYF until after DD was born, and now I recommend it to my friends!
We are in the middle of building/remodeling a house on 20 acres and are hoping to really get our homestead going in the spring. We don't feel our family is complete yet, but my two littles are very busy and feel like a lot right now. If I got to pick things, I think a fall 2012 baby would be great with maybe another close behind.
I'm now on CD 5 with AF packing up. This is my 5th cycle since DD. I'm still nursing her, but usually just once in the morning as that is all she is interested in. I really like my paper charts, but I did create a FF account a few months ago. I'll have to play with that a bit more and figure things out. We chart as well as use condoms or diaphragm for BC during fertile times. I have longer cycles (34ish days) and my more fertile CF seems to last FOREVER before I finally O on day 18-20. I'm still sorting things out, but would prefer to abstain during the fertile window, if I can ever get it narrowed down to less than 10 days.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#12 of 318 Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Hi everyone. Can I join in?

I've just started to CTA - definitely didn't expect to end up here! I was charting/temping some about two years ago when I was getting ready to TTC but stopped when DP and I separated. I'm now in the early stages of starting to date again and figured now would be a good time to drag out the old thermometer again. I need to re-read TCOYF since before I was reading it for entirely different purposes.

Here's my chart:

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#13 of 318 Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome new members! Updated to here!

My temp was much lower today than I thought it would be. It was 97.0. It bothered me so I temped again (which is never a smart thing to do) only about 10 min later (b/c I just couldn't fall back asleep thinking about it) and got 97.3. WTF? So, yeah, whatever, I just pretended I didn't do it twice and went with the 1st temp.

My chart.

It seems when I temp later than normal my temp is lower. I thought it was supposed to get higher as the day went on and the more up and abou or awake I was.

#14 of 318 Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Carrie, thank you so much for taking over!
I've been such a slacker with everything lately. Poor DH is starting to comment on our lack of time together because I'm always sleeping

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#15 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

lyterae, you're not a slacker, you're pregnant! Unlike some of us, who have no excuse for being lazy.

#16 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM

There's always an excuse for being lazy.

#17 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

yeah, so I don't really know what is going on with my chart!

I didn't record any CF because until about day 14 it was pretty semen obscured

I would have to say I did have more CF at around that time and very scants amount fertile CF after that and I have been dry for the past few days......

On CD19 my husband went fishing and his phone was going off at 5:30 and I had to talk to him etc and THEN I realized I messed up my temp taking - lol. So I took it 5:45 (I usually take it at six) and it was 97.9..................I fell back into a deep sleep and took it again at 7:45 and it was 97.5

So, what do you ladies think? it is a very confusing chart this cycle - go freakin figure

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26af7e

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#18 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
yeah, so I don't really know what is going on with my chart!

I didn't record any CF because until about day 14 it was pretty semen obscured

I would have to say I did have more CF at around that time and very scants amount fertile CF after that and I have been dry for the past few days......

On CD19 my husband went fishing and his phone was going off at 5:30 and I had to talk to him etc and THEN I realized I messed up my temp taking - lol. So I took it 5:45 (I usually take it at six) and it was 97.9..................I fell back into a deep sleep and took it again at 7:45 and it was 97.5

So, what do you ladies think? it is a very confusing chart this cycle - go freakin figure

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26af7e
What about the temps on CD17 and CD18, anythng obscure about them? I wouldn't worry about a temp if it was 15 minutes before normal wake up time. So long as mine was within a half hour (either way) I wouldn't adjust it.

I still think that CD14 has the potential to be O day, but your chart is confusing

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#19 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 PM

annie ~ CD14, cd18 and 19 are all possible. I guess since you aren't sure about the cd19 temp you should wait for one more high temp before considering yourself safe.

#20 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Ok - so the complete rundown is this...............

CD15 was taken at 7:45 and it was 97.4 so adjusted down it would only be 97.2 and it would have had to have been at least 97.3 to be considered the beginning of a thermal shift. (of course it was adjusted - stupid sleeping through the alarm!)

CD16,17,&18 are all taken normal time, no weird circumstances. 97.7 is high, but at the same time, 97.1 is looooooooow so they kind of cancel each other out...........

So, to summarize;

If CD15 really was closer to 97.2 and you ROT CD16 then it looks like CD18 is the legit O date.

The only weird thing is that I felt like I was Oing closer to CD16 or so.

Anyways, I guess we will just have to wait and see!!
I plan to start POAS at about 12DPO from CD14 and see when I get a BFP or and go from there..............

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#21 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's so great to see everyone here in August!!! Thank goodness you all still want to hang around!!!

I need some advice!

Bottom line... unprotected sex on the am of cd 7, have some plan B around, should I take it?

Details:
AF started on July 27, medium, brown spotting. Red flow overnight. I wasn't sure if I should call that CD 1 or not. If it is not, the BD would have been CD 6, which is better....

Sticky seems to be my BIP, I can always find some cf, I was sticky all day on cd 7.

Today, CD 8, creamy cf.

I've never o'ed (or rather, it hasn't been detected on my chart) earlier than cd 12. If it took 3 days for the temp rise, theoretically I could have O'ed on cd 9 but we'll call it cd 10 since we earlier discussed the impossibility of an O earlier than cd 10. So, worst case, I could have had unprotected BD 3 days before O... if O shows up on CD 12.

I am really, truly avoiding! The BD happened because of a miscalculation of what cd I was on b/c we forgot what day of the week it was (ahhhhh.... summer!)

Sooooo..... I know I haven't O'ed yet. Just so scary that there may be a few survivors that could be up there waiting when I do O.

So what would be your analysis of my situation?
#22 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM

#23 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Oh my I just looked, like really looked at my dates for the past few months.

This chemical pregnancy thing kinda messed me up, coupled with stress.

Normal cycle about 25 days

Cycle of M/C 44 days (with the mid cycle light bleeding-spotting thing)
Cycle after that 31 days
Last cycle 26 days

I see an improvement! I hope this cycle is more normal along with the next one being normal!

lower abs and joints still sore and hurty and most food still looks eh to EWWWW *gag* to WANT NOW half the time(all within the span of 30mins). But we are getting there I think.

I also had 3 random squirts of blood this morning, that made this period last 4 days currently, day 3 of period was also like that. and the 2 first days involved crescendo/wave cramping (normally just constant) and bleeding mostly in the morning. Less pad changing mid day, that is nice.

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu
#24 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM

annie ~ Even with the cd15 temp adjusted down, if you use NFP rules for LTL and HTL, O still could've been cd14, I believe. I guess it depends on whether or not the 3dpo temp being right on the LTL is ok. According to FAM rules, I think that would put your O on cd17.

Toolip ~ I'm confused. Are you saying you think you will O on cd10 or are you asking what to do in case you do? Personally, I wouldn't worry about dtd on cd7 but I don't O early enough for that to be an issue and I wouldn't mind a pg. Seems to me you could at least wait to see when you O. You can't be pg or getting pg now so it's just a worry about sperm still being present when you do. I can't recommend taking the plan b regardless of the situation so I don't know what to tell you.

#25 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm just saying that cd 10 would be the worst case scenario if I O'ed then, still a chance of living sperm.... ykwim. It is possible that I have o'ed on that day in the past if my temp spike didn't show for several days.

So if I was sticky all day that day (my BIP) I would be considered safe, right?

I think I'm going to consider myself ok and try to let it go. If I were to take the plan B, it would be to delay/prevent O, so I can't wait to see when I do end up Oing, then it would be too late...

Also, I wanted some clarification about what my CD 1 should be.

oy, I'll probably be nervous all month!
#26 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the best chart this month. I've had the flu for the last two days...

Toolip: When do you usually O?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#27 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Toolip: When do you usually O?
my ff stats say that my earliest O is cd 12 and my latest O is cd 15. If that's when I actually O, I think I'm cool with the risk, however, it's the fact that I could actually be Oing 3 days earlier than those dates (because of the delay in temp spike), that makes me nervous.
#28 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
I'm just saying that cd 10 would be the worst case scenario if I O'ed then, still a chance of living sperm.... ykwim. It is possible that I have o'ed on that day in the past if my temp spike didn't show for several days.
Oh, ok. I get what you mean now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
So if I was sticky all day that day (my BIP) I would be considered safe, right?

I think I'm going to consider myself ok and try to let it go. If I were to take the plan B, it would be to delay/prevent O, so I can't wait to see when I do end up Oing, then it would be too late...

Also, I wanted some clarification about what my CD 1 should be.

oy, I'll probably be nervous all month!
TCOYF says that having sticky as a BIP increases your chances of pg slightly. I didn't realize the plan B was to delay or prevent O. I thought it was used to prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. I guess now that you mention it and I think about it, delaying/preventing O makes more sense. I still can't in good conscious recommend that anyone take it because I think it's harmful to take synthetic hormones.

I guess when cd1 was depends on what you mean by overnight. If it started before midnight, I'd call that day CD1. If it started after midnight, the next day would be cd1. I'm not sure that it really makes that much difference. TCOYF says when recording BD you can choose whether to put overnight sex for the previous day or the next day. The important thing is to be consistent.

#29 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Mamas, may I join? I got my first pp af earlier this month. DS2 is 15 months. We want at least three and have two now, but we're not ready yet. DH is working on his Master's degree, and he has two more years. We're thinking of trying again next summer. But for now, we're tta with FF charting. If I were to get pregnant, I would be fine w/ it. DH would not be pleased. I might even be secretly happen.
But for now, I am going to do my best to avoid. I have a delayed ovulation. I'm at ILs right now and forget my thermometer. Oops.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#30 of 318 Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Oh yeah, here's my chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2047a5

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page