question for those w/ a Paragard IUD... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had one inserted on 7/28, CD 3. It really wasn't so bad & my period didn't get worse, just light spotting for 2-3 days longer than usual. I was so excited & thought I was very fortunate. I couldn't feel the strings at all. I tried everyday. About a week later, I started spotting again, but it was only noticeable when I wiped after urinating (sorry if TMI).On CD19 I felt the strings for the first time & they were long! I didn't feel anything else though. Today, I'm on CD 21 & I can barely feel the strings & I am bleeding more, almost like I have AF. AF is due in a week. I feel like I'm going to bleed forever. I was told this IUD wouldn't alter my natural cycle...I'm just so confused. I know it may take some time for my body to adjust, but I'm impatient Also, we're going away for the 1st time alone in 6 years on 9/10 & I will be on pissed off woman if I'm bleeding that weekend...sigh

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Whoever told you that Paraguard wouldn't alter your cycle was blowing smoke or didn't have a clue! Before I had mine inserted I had very regular periods (every 26 days) with light bleeding for three days. After I got the Paraguard my cycles were pretty irregular (23-31 days) and bleeding was heavy for a week. That slowed down after about a year and I finally had some regularity and slightly lighter bleeding (but still heavy for me) for five days. I had it removed so we could get pregnant, and my first period afterwards was practically heavenly it was so light. I felt like myself again. I really liked not having to worry about bc, but I hated those damn periods.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#3 of 6 Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

og geez, really??? My doc told me that AF would arrive like it always has.I'm prepared for the longer, heavier cycles, but I am not prepared to guess when I'm getting AF...ugh...

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM

My periods were so heavy with my Paragard that if I forgot to take my daily iron supplement (Floradix) during AF I felt dizzy and faint. I had it put in after Dd2 was born and AF started 18 months PP. I had AF for about 6 months before I got tired of being anemic all the time and had it removed.

ETA: I forgot to add that during my 5 heaviest days I was losing .5oz of blood every hour and a half and AF lasted for around 13-16 days.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#5 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

I also bled really heavily and frequently with the Paragard. I won't use it again. I think I was bleeding about 50% of the time (I believe with both AF and with ovulation although I wasn't temping) and the heaviest times (start of AF) I would overflow a Diva cup every hour and a half for about 48 hours, including at night.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM

The paragard started making my cycles come closer together... which was weird. It also caused a ton of low back pain for me. I had it removed a few weeks ago, and haven't had pain ever since. I guess we'll see how this next cycle is, but I can say that once it was taken out (on day 2 of my period) my period immediately got lighter and barely lasted any time at all, it was pretty cool.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page