Moms of 3 or more -- how do you do it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two children -- a 3 yr old DS and 1 yr old DD. They drive me nuts some days. I found parenting one child was enjoyable, and was fairly easy compared to now. Now I feel spent. They are both very spirited/high needs (especially DS), and I am physically amd mentally exhausted by the end of the day.

That being said... I want one more. Always have. 3 just "feels" right. I have such conflicted feelings about it though. I can barely handle 2 sometimes. I see others with 3+ kids and they seem to handle it fine, but I am struggling with 2. If we do TTC for #3 (which would be our last child), we wouldn't start until DD was at least 2 or 2.5. Maybe even 3. I am hoping the bigger spacing would help (DS and DD are 27 months apart--that was ROUGH in the beginning). I have always heard that with high spirited kids, you should space them at least 3 years apart anyway, so I am hoping that would help a bit.

My friend also has 2 kids, but always wanted 3. She just had her 4 year old niece stay over her house for the week. She said she had a taste of what 3 kids felt like -- and is not sure anymore if she even wants a 3rd!! She REALLY wanted another too! That had me thinking as well. I went over her place for a playdate, and it was just a lot of stress handling 3 kids -- and the 2 older ones were 4 and 5! I thought the kids being older would make it a little easier... or that could be just wishful thinking. I also wonder if it would be different if the 3rd child was hers, and not one she rarely sees, KWIM?

Anyway, those with 3+ kids, how do you do it? Do you find it really stressful? I hear some say going from 2-3 kids was easier than going from 1-2, did you find any truth to that? How far apart did you space them? Tips?

TIA!

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 AM

For us, our first two are 22 months apart. They are now 9 & 7.

Five year "break" due to secondary infertility...

Next two are 23 months apart. They are now 2.5 & 8 months. This is working out pretty well for us but we have our moments of insanity

Having a 2 or 3 year old is the absolutely hardest age for me to handle mentally Once you get past age three it gets easier and they start to really be able to play together which gives you a break from time to time.

I think it can be hard to think past what life is like *right now* but you also have to think about how your family will be in the future. Can you handle having three teens in the house ?

It's a hard decision, that's for sure. Good luck!

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
mine are 4.5+ years apart, that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells_n_cheese View Post
Now I feel spent. They are both very spirited/high needs (especially DS), and I am physically amd mentally exhausted by the end of the day.

I see others with 3+ kids and they seem to handle it fine, but I am struggling with 2.

I only have 2 so far, but I still plan on having 4.

First thing is, you feel physically and mentally spent now and that's the same as you will feel with another child, KWIM? Kind of like the whole, 'how do you have enough love for each child' thing, you are going to be worn out, whether it's one kid or ten. Just like you are going to love all your kids, whether it's one or ten. I guess I mean you will have 'just enough' energy for however many kids you have IMO anyway.

Also, I'm sure the parents of 3+ just look like they are handling it just fine! Every parent has lots and lots of really hard/stressful times where they just want to get through it.

I know I still want more because I cannot imagine never being pregnant and never giving birth and never holding my own little newborn again. I cannot even fathom being ready to be done having kids. I'm hoping since I've always wanted 4, once I reach that point I will feel 'done'.

Mama to three

#5 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 AM

For me, the 4h child has always been the breaking point. It doesn't matter which one it is but if one of the kids is gone for some reason i.e. at a friend's house or school event, then it's infinitely easier. Conversely, adding a 5th or 6th child does not increase the work or stress.

Things that help lessen the stress of four kids for me:

-plan, plan, plan...keep easy to prepare meals in the house, make sure you have always done at least one load of laundry per day and always have an redirection activity in your back-pocket for when they start losing their minds.

-do whatever it takes to avoid going to the grocery store with all four kids...I have been seen at the grocery store at 1 AM.

-always take snacks and water bottles with you when you go out.

-set clear expectations before going in to an event i.e. please stay with me, please use indoor voices, please do not run, etc.

-keep quiet activities in a bag in the car to use while waiting at dr appts, sporting events for a sibling or any other unexpected time when you have to wait patiently.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#6 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM

a bigger age gap makes all the difference. Adding another one to a 3 and 1 year old will not make you less tired!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#7 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Funny, someone just asked me the same question at the park the other day. She had 2 boys & wondered how I "survived" having 5 kids (4 boys, 1 girl). She said she could "barely handle her 2". I was caught off guard & had no idea how to answer! lol!

I rarely feel "stressed out", especially by my kids. I love having a whole pile of kids. I hope to have more. If only I'd met my now-husband sooner than when I was 30, maybe we could have had 10.

These are just a few of my own thoughts. Everyone's ideas & needs are different of course, but this is how it goes in my brain. I've really embraced having kids in such a way that I don't have high expectations to do much else these years than raise them. I'm fine without any "me time", I'm never (ever) alone, I expect to be interrupted constantly no matter how much I enjoy what I'm doing, I am the most sleep deprived person I know (my memory is embarassingly gone from yrs & yrs of little sleep) but I just march through the best I can with as little complaining as I can, & never, ever expect to actually focus & complete a conversation with another adult. My mind is always on "where are the kids, what are ther kids doing, who needs my help". I frequently have to walk away mid-sentence to rescue a kid. And the big thing for me is, I don't let myself feel bothered or annoyed at my kids for any of that. I've truly just gotten to a spot where I have come to terms with this is my life, raising these kids with my husband is all I'm doing right now.

And my biggest "sanity saver" (if I'd call it that), is this: I can do it all when I'm older. Seriously, I have firmly embraced the fact in my mind that this is all temporary, I will miss my babies so much someday, & I will have decades&decades of "me time". Time for sleeping, dates with my wonderful husband, hobbies, sitting down & chatting with folks, focusing on the present happenings instead of what the kids are doing, not being exhausted..... But for these fleeting years, I'm selfless. And I'm really, genuinly happy about it.

Also, here are some other things that happen to work for me. YMMV. I am not Christian but I puffy heart love Christian blogs written by mamas with tons of kids. They view every one of their kids as blessings, gifts sent directly from God, entrusted to these mamas to raise for Him. It's a powerful message, and so, so sweet to be reminded of. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to such places here, but I could PM some of my favorites. Or you could find my blog linked in my profile & scroll way down near the bottom to find some. I even receive Above Rubies magazines (a Christian quiverfull mag). My heart gushes with joy with every one. Their entire message is that we mamas have the most important job on earth, & each mag oozes with love for our babies. And many of those women have LOTS of babies! I also big puffy heart love babies.

Man, I'm one gushy chick.

Besides all that, there's just the practical stuff that makes it all easier. I homeschool so there's no stress of getting to/from schools, no bad attitudes being learned by my kids at school, & my dh & I are the sole "trainers" (ok that's not quite the right word but I'm too tired to think of the perfect word, lol) of our kids. They're not getting influenced by others at at school. Also, major life decluttering. Fewer belongings equals fewer messes, fewer friends & outings equals lesss stress & more regular home rhythm. Routine, so the kids know what to expect & don't freak out. Child locks on everything.

Well, now that I've written a novel (& was interrupted by my 2 yr old who wanted me to "watch mama, watch!!" 452 times), I hope I've been even slightly helpful & I hope I haven't offended.

OMg, I actually just thought of 1 more thing I wanted to share. Another thing that has made a huge difference for me, compared to when I had my 1st two kids, is that I don't allow myself to feel annoyed when I have to get up with them at night. What I mean is, I've managed to switch my my brain from thinking negative things when I'm up alone with a grumpy/sick/awake baby in the night, to positive thoughts. I focus on how sweet it is to be in the cozy dark getting this all alone time with my baby. And I pet him & focus on how sweet, soft & squishy babies are. And smell him, hum sweet songs to him (THIS ONE, "Lullaby" by Dixie Chicks is the KING of the sweetest songs to sing to a baby or hum to yourself. I think I cried the first 15 times I heard this song. My favorite line for middle of the night with baby moments is "tomorrow there'll be so much to do.. tonight I'll drift in a dream with you" whilst rocking the little sleepy head back to sleep), & also think about how much I love my husband & am grateful that he works so hard for us all day & that he's getting good, uninterrupted sleep in preparation for another long day at work for us.

So yeah. That's what works for me.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#8 of 40 Old 08-29-2010, 03:19 PM

There's a big age gap between the first and the second and third- that helps a lot- but it also complicates things at times. :P

I really don't think three is hard as long as you work together, and you do learn to be more proactive- always having things ready and waiting. If anything, having more has forced me to be a better mom because I can't get away with flying byt he seat of my pants in the same way.
#9 of 40 Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 PM

I don't know but I'm right there with you. I have 3 but the oldest is an adult now so he doesn't count toward my taking care of LOs (although, I still have to do a lot for him). I am always exhausted. My house is always a wreck. I never have any time to/for myself. I still want just one more. Some days I think I must be crazy. I can't possibly take care of another child. It would be selfish and unfair to all my children if I had another. But I also know that if I really want it, I can make it work. I think my main problem is that I have an expectation that as my children get older they won't need me as much. The reality is that they do, just in different ways. When I can get to the place in my mind that zjande mentioned where I accept that the kids are my life right now, I'm much less stressed and things go much smoother.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#10 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, I have 3 kids and have been trying to reply to this thread for 2 days now. Some days I have no idea how we all survived, especially right now, part time job, non-profit I run on the side, school started for the bigger two, we have a family member that has had a medical crisis and is requiring massive amounts of my time, I am barely hanging on.

Most of the time I have it under control, I am quite an organized person which helps so much. Everything for the next day is laid out the night before, lunches packed, I pack sports clothes into the backpack with a snack for after school so I don't have to worry about it later. The car is always packed ready to go with snacks and gear. Dinner is made up in advance, I rarely cook at night. We are on the go all the time. 2 of my 3 have some special needs which can make life even more interesting.

Back to the questions, going from 2-3 was no big deal, BUT my oldest was 6 which was a huge, huge help. She would hold the baby while I showered or put the 2 year to bed. Not to say it wasn't rough, adding a baby into the mix was but it wasn't the hellish nightmare that I had the previous two times I had a baby. I think about a 4th sometimes, my requirement though is that my DD2 who is 3, needs to be 5 before another baby, if another one ever happens. I am not parenting 3 very small children at once, one has to be old enough to at least wipe her own butt and fetch food for herself! It is stressful, there are so many times still, and my kids are 7.5, almost 4, and 1, where all 3 of them are screaming and screaming about 3 different things. I don't want to even mention the car where more often then not, someone is crying about something at the tops of their lungs.

ETA: I agree with the posters who said their older children still require so much. My 7 year is not any easier then the 3y or 1y for that manner. Sure she can do things for herself but she is also very likely to end up in a puddle of tears because so and so called her a name or didn't eat lunch with her. Or the 3y breathed her air. Like they said, it is just different.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I found having one child to be the most stressful. I'm very introverted, and she demanded my constant attention. Having siblings has made my life easier. Of course, I come from a huge family, so having tons of kids to me, is normal. I'm good at blocking out noises and fighting. Dh is still working on that. I like the bustle and life of a big family.

That doesn't mean I don't want to pull my hair out most days or sit in the closet eating chocolate and crying. But those were things I felt pre-kids and with just one kid, so it's all about perspective. It's not super easy, but you build up to it kid by kid and get in your groove. Having a super-helpful oldest daughter who is extremely responsible and good natured can't hurt, either. My youngest is very spirited and high needs. Just her alone is like 300 other children. I don't think I could handle her without the other kids around to preoccupy her once in awhile.

I will say that watching other peoples kids is no good indication as to how your family or life will be with that many children. At all. Every family has a different dynamic and it's worked up to, not usually a "hey, here's a sibling!" thing.

My kids are 13 months, 32 months, 28 months and (soon to be)34 months apart. I have found that either short spacing (like my 13 month apart older kids) or longer spacing (my oldest and youngest are ~7 years apart) to be easiest.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Call me crazy, but I love having and raising multiple kids. Unlike most, mine are very close in age: 4, 3, and 19 months. They are 15 months and 17 months apart. And I want more. My 4-year-old is pretty self-sufficient and helpful. She pours drinks for her and her brother, in sippy cups. I have no problem getting them in and out of the car. I tell them what order to get in (You get in first because your seat is all the way over, then you get in, and then I'll put in your sister) and when we go places, I hold my youngest on my hip, hold my son's hand, and my oldest holds his other hand until we get in the store. My car has a little TV so we get to watch special shows whenever we need to travel for a half hour or so. People seem shocked to see so many little kids with me and I think it's kind of funny. DH is very helpful and supportive and that helps. And they are very good at amusing themselves and playing with each other. You just learn what works and what doesn't. The road can be bumpy and emotional, but that's life!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#13 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I have three an almost 7 yr old a 4.5 yr old and a 15m old. there age spacing in 2.5 yrs and almost 3 yr apart. There will probably be a 4th in the near future for us too.

I think a lot of it is the parents personality and expectations of yourself, your kids, your life. I am laid back, my husband is laid back, I imagine that helps us a lot. But I am not the most organized person, though with homeschooling this year I am learning/teaching myself how to be a bit more so.

I think it's hard to tell people how I do it. I don't have any standard book I go by. I just parent and love and do it the way it feels natural to me.

My two oldest are pretty self sufficient, especially the oldest, he's "reliable" and willing to help watch, play with the two younger ones. I am lucky for that.

But we have our moments.. our crazy, two oldest fighting-one baby not sleeping- two dogs barking to go our to go to the bathroom right now- I have to pee-and we are all starving with no dinner to speak of- moments!

But then we settle the fight, send the dogs outside to pee, calm the baby, I pee and call the local pizza joint for dinner. The kids settle down for bed in our bed and are soon asleep in our bed, and when we later go and tuck in with them between us we snuggle their warm bodies and remember why we have three and why we want more and soon forget the chaos that ensued earlier...sorry go a little sappy there.

Honestly a lot of it is just letting go...and seeing beyond the chaos and fights and craziness. I guess that my answer I see beyond the chaos that can be apart of our days. I remember just having one and how exhausting and tiring he was, and how I struggled so much with him...it hasn't changed much it's just different.
#14 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Well, we have four and may have more. I do feel like I'm going nuts some days---this was especially so when my younger two were smaller (they are 16 months apart). It seems like we turned a corner when my youngest turns 3.5 years old. I could actually be on a different floor of the house and not worry about someone dying or breaking things....as much! Also, the older two (and now even my 5yo) are more helpful around the house so it's not all falling on my lap.

I love the 16 months part age-spacing but I would have preferred that for the spacing between 1 & 2. It was a bit nutty to have 4 under 7 at one time but now that they are older, I love it! So, I would say 3.5-4 years apart would be my ideal spacing but hindsight is always 20/20, ykwim!

We definitely have a good routine going (including quiet time every afternoon). We limit extra-curricular activities (like 1 for each kid at a time). So far, my kids aren't really interested in classes until this year (and just the older two now)! So that keeps us out of the rat race as much as possible. At times, I have had hired mother's helper too.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#15 of 40 Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 PM

I have 3 and am due any day with my 4th. Mine are 4 1/2, 3, and 1 1/2. For me going from 1 to 2 was way harder then going from 2 to 3.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#16 of 40 Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
zjande - your response almost made me cry. It was beautiful and a perfect reminder of what blessings children are. I just love your attitude.
#17 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post
zjande - your response almost made me cry. It was beautiful and a perfect reminder of what blessings children are. I just love your attitude.

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#18 of 40 Old 09-13-2010, 01:15 AM

I have three, and it can be really crazy. We went out to dinner the other night and after we were all high-fiving each other because we didn't cause a scene at dinner. My three are VERY inquisitive and energetic, so it makes us a traveling circus! I sometimes worry that I just don't have time to be as organized as I want to be and can't get everything done or remember everything I need to do. I also own my own business. I'm always taking something on so it's my fault, I never just let it be. I rescue a dog, remodel my kitchen myself, learn to ride a scooter, travel frequently, always something. It can be crazy and exhausting, but I would not be satisfied if I had not had number three, he is sooooo cute and it is so much fun to see him with his older brother and sister. I wish I had a desire for # 4 because I would like a little more craziness before all is said and done, but I'm done. I don't want anymore. It's a strange feeling to be done, and I didn't think I would ever feel done, but I have zero desire for a baby or another child, so I'm seeing that as a good thing, but even with the craziness it's all worth it!
#19 of 40 Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Things that help lessen the stress of four kids for me:

-plan, plan, plan...keep easy to prepare meals in the house, make sure you have always done at least one load of laundry per day and always have an redirection activity in your back-pocket for when they start losing their minds.

-do whatever it takes to avoid going to the grocery store with all four kids...I have been seen at the grocery store at 1 AM.

-always take snacks and water bottles with you when you go out.

-set clear expectations before going in to an event i.e. please stay with me, please use indoor voices, please do not run, etc.

-keep quiet activities in a bag in the car to use while waiting at dr appts, sporting events for a sibling or any other unexpected time when you have to wait patiently.

I second all these things!! I couldn't agree more. Snacks, water, activities, clear expectations, planning.... these things are what keep you [halfway] sane with 3+ kids.

Our last 3 came at 20 month intervals. Right now my 2.5 year old is giving me fits, but so did my 4 year old at that age and he's wonderful now. There are certain stages/ages where it seems like insanity to have more than one child, but then you get past that stage and it's *such* a joy. I have found that to be true with my oldest daughter who's 11.

Three kids was the hardest adjustment for us, after that it was like, "What's one more at this point??"

I don't feel "done" at this point but would like to wait 2-3 years before having one more. The preschooler/toddler/baby thing is challenging!! (But at least they'll all be close enough to play and be good friends. Our oldest is so much older than the other kids that she doesn't really connect to them as playmates, more as babysitter. )

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#20 of 40 Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post

Although it did make me cry!!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#21 of 40 Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm so glad I saw this thread. The op could have been describing my life, except my girls are 6 & 3. We *want* another one, but I'm having trouble envisioning the day-to-day reality of it. Life with the 2 we have is INSANE most days. I have a girlfriend with 4, and her house always seems so much calmer (and neater and CLEANER) than mine. Seems like organization helps. I should learn some of that.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#22 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 AM

I have 4 boys...ages 8 and under. Some days are absolutely crazy...getting out the door can be a real fiasco too but mostly it's just fun and nutty around here. We laugh a lot....laugh at ourselves and each other....the craziness that is our crew. Some days I even dream of another little one running around. Hubby just looks at me like I've grown another head, he says no way, 4 is enough for him!
I think for me, focusing on the fact that my days with them are so numbered. I don't do much outside of my crew....I just don't like being without them. Realizing that I don't have to be perfect all the time and my kids/house/car/ don't have to be clean and perfect constantly takes a big load off as well. I feel like I've been given one shot at raising the best boys I can....I want to love them like there's no tomorrow....who cares if the laundry is folded and put away every day?? Good luck with your decision...no matter what you do it will change your life forever!!!
#23 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM

I have three kids, which is why I haven't been on here in ages. But in our case the spacing is different -- the first two are 3 years apart and the last one came 7 years after that. (There's exactly a 10-year gap between no. 1 and no. 3!) I found adjusting to two very difficult (high-needs first child, tandem nursing for over a year, etc.). But adjusting to the third has been just wonderful for all of us. The older two are self-sufficient and helpful and dote on the little one; she's entirely serene and cuddly and has softened all of us up in a way. I even think that adolescence (looming just beyond the horizon) will be easier for the oldest one with the "baby" around, just because we've all sort of reconnected with the beauty of being a family and having littles to love and protect. I am reminded daily of the babies my other two were not so long ago, and this helps me treat them with the gentleness and kindness they still deserve, even if they're almost as tall as I am and they want to borrow my shoes.

At this point I'd love to have just one more, but given our age and other limitations I think we probably won't.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#24 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

I technically have four...one is a foster daughter.
My oldest dd is almost five, then I have two 2.5 yo dd, and another dd that just turned one.

Insane? Sometimes I think so. But I love it. I really really loved the spacing between oldest dd and second dd (2yrs 4months) They are close enough to be the best of friends but far enough apart to be a bit easier on me. The 2nd and 3rd dd are a bit harder (only the first nine months or so though) They are 17months apart. Which was NOT supposed to happen! It took over a year to get pg with #2, and almost a year for #1, so we were shocked when the meds worked right away for #3! Plus, she came five weeks early.

So I have four girls under five,and three under three. It's crazy sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it. They all LOVE to play together, are each other's best friends.

Cons: getting them out and in the car, getting them ready to go (but then again, our nearest gas station is a 1/2 hour away, so can't just leave them with dad!) and when they are sick. Really, those are the only things I can think of. As for having enough time for all of them, both dh and I make it a point to have a "special day" with each child every week-2 weeks. It has helped tremendously. We are also very firm about snuggle time, and each girl gets her fair share without interupption (we're on the couch a lot lol!)
Honestly, I was kind of upset when I thought I was pg and wasn't recently.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#25 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM

For me, I've found that parenting becomes easier with more kids. I never expected it to be that way... but it has. I grew up with one sibling, and always assumed that if I had kids, I'd stop at two. But after I had my first two boys, I didn't feel that our family was done. So, we had another baby...and just had another little guy a month ago. It still doesn't feel done, but at 42, I'm beginning to wonder if I just need to accept that I'm super duper blessed to have four kids (and one would be a giant blessing) and just stop.

Anyways... for me... our kids are all two years apart except for #4 who is 3. So, I have a 7 year old, 5 year old, 3 year old, and newborn. That spacing has worked really well for me because I never really got much out of diapers and waking in the night before the next little one showed up. It would have been much harder IMHO to have gotten used to sleep and then gone back to no sleep. Also like zjande, my expectations/outlook has changed--especially as I realize how quickly they grow up...and how fleeting this time with them as little ones is. I don't get as annoyed by a crying/colicky baby. I find discipline is easier as well--because I know it's a phase... or I know other coping techniques... or know to focus on my goal in the end. Granted, I'm nowhere near perfect... but it is definitely easier.

I've also gotten better at routines and simplifying which helps. DH and I had DS1 about 10 months after we got married. We both married in our mid-30s... so were both pretty set in our ways. I went from having a large disposable income to being a SAHM on a small salary. There were lots of adjustments that I need to make... including learning how to cook dinner (and breakfast and lunch) every day... vs. eating out 99% of the time. Having those adjustments plus a newborn were tough.

Simplifying our possessions...toys....clothes...etc. helps a lot. I am not a naturally neat or organized individual. Yet amazingly enough, with four kids our house is now the cleanest and most organized it's ever been. I'm more apt to buy toys that are more multipurpose/creative. I try and limit clothing. For shoes/socks, we have a shoe rack by the front door with two small boxes for the boys (and another set for my daughter)... one for clean socks, one for dirty. I buy all the same socks (Hanes white ones)...and the boys wear the same size....so it's really easy. When they come in, they put their dirty socks right in the dirty sock box. In the a.m, they know where to find clean socks. I wash them all once per week. Sorting isn't a problem because they're all the same size/style/color.

One thing that's great about more than one kid is that they do all play together pretty well. With four (although only three are able to play right now)... they seem to be able to entertain themselves much better. We just got rid of TV completely for the kids--and I've been surprised at how easy it's been. They accepted it pretty well--and are playing together even better than ever.

You know yourself and your limits--but honestly, I never ever would have thought that I would have four kids or how easy it would be. Don't underestimate yourself.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#26 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 04:29 PM

zjande~ I big puffy heart YOU

I have 4 children and am currently pg w/ #5 (secretly praying it's 5 & 6 actually). My oldest is 6.5yo, my youngest is 21mo.

I strive to be the mother zjande described. I love my big family, each of my children, though 2 were surprises, are each a blessing to DH and I. I am a Christian, and just as zjande explained, I am so thankful for the gifts my God has entrusted to DH and I.

We do a lot that zjande described. We just started our 2nd year of homeschooling. We strive for a home rhythm to make our days easier. Yes, a lot of my life is hectic and crazy having 4 young children, but there are times that the blessings overflow so much it brings me to tears. This morning my 4 sat and played "Go Fish" together with my 6.5yo and 5yo being on "teams" w/ the 2 littles so they could play, too. Made my heart swell.

And as zjande pointed out, I realize this is my life for a passing time. I will reach a point where there won't be young children in my everyday life and I can focus on my interests.

I guess it also helps that I know quite a few large families. The woman who introduced me to my homebirth MW has 7 children, ranging from 2 to 13. I know another family that just yesterday had their 13th child, their oldest is 23 I think. Their life can be hectic at times, and I've seen their families at some of their worst moments, but in the end, the kids all LOVE each other, the parents LOVE the kids, and life works its way out.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#27 of 40 Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 AM

Great advice, thank you...

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#28 of 40 Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
zjande~ I big puffy heart YOU

I have 4 children and am currently pg w/ #5 (secretly praying it's 5 & 6 actually). My oldest is 6.5yo, my youngest is 21mo.

I strive to be the mother zjande described. I love my big family, each of my children, though 2 were surprises, are each a blessing to DH and I. I am a Christian, and just as zjande explained, I am so thankful for the gifts my God has entrusted to DH and I.

We do a lot that zjande described. We just started our 2nd year of homeschooling. We strive for a home rhythm to make our days easier. Yes, a lot of my life is hectic and crazy having 4 young children, but there are times that the blessings overflow so much it brings me to tears. This morning my 4 sat and played "Go Fish" together with my 6.5yo and 5yo being on "teams" w/ the 2 littles so they could play, too. Made my heart swell.

And as zjande pointed out, I realize this is my life for a passing time. I will reach a point where there won't be young children in my everyday life and I can focus on my interests.

I guess it also helps that I know quite a few large families. The woman who introduced me to my homebirth MW has 7 children, ranging from 2 to 13. I know another family that just yesterday had their 13th child, their oldest is 23 I think. Their life can be hectic at times, and I've seen their families at some of their worst moments, but in the end, the kids all LOVE each other, the parents LOVE the kids, and life works its way out.

#29 of 40 Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Just another mama of 3 (soon to be 4) to reassure you that adding another doesn't seem to be such a big deal... I found being a mama of 1 (very high needs) DD very exhausting and overwhelming, then 2 was a challenge, now that I have 3, I feel like I finally have my groove. I am more organized because I have to be, I don't stress over small stuff because I don't have the time or energy, I can deal better with sleep deprivation because... I have more practice...?! My parenting has adjusted to being more focused on the needs of the whole family, which actually seems to me to work better for my kids as individuals as well!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#30 of 40 Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutmolly View Post
Just another mama of 3 (soon to be 4) to reassure you that adding another doesn't seem to be such a big deal... I found being a mama of 1 (very high needs) DD very exhausting and overwhelming, then 2 was a challenge, now that I have 3, I feel like I finally have my groove. I am more organized because I have to be, I don't stress over small stuff because I don't have the time or energy, I can deal better with sleep deprivation because... I have more practice...?! My parenting has adjusted to being more focused on the needs of the whole family, which actually seems to me to work better for my kids as individuals as well!
All of this.

With three, my house is cleaner than it was with one. I don't worry too much, and the balance for the family works. The sleep deprivation still gets to me at times, but not as badly as it once did. I haven't slept more than 90 minutes at a stretch for about 3 years now... I sort of accept it as the norm.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page