The September CTA/FAM Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
September 2010

Welcome to the September 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" , and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in August, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me or post and let me know. I cannot promise to make all the changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything. To those who are new, welcome!

Please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If I need to fix it, please link to your chart and ask in bold. Thanks!

You must post in September if you want to be on the October list!

Who We Are:

bbrandonsmom
Toolip
RaraAvis
lovebeingamomma
Smokering
HulaJenn
Smylingeyz
Guthu

LionessMom

knittinanny
katiedidbug
Got_Cloth
AnnieA
theboysmama
**mom2one**
Mom2SammyJoe
SomethingAnonymous
LisaN
mommyin2008
tellmemore

capretta
Xerxella

Graduates

Wholewheatchick - Due in Dec. 2010
OsUvet - Due in Feb. 2011
Echospiritwarrior - Due in Feb. 2011
Lyterae - Due in Feb. 2011
Dex_Millie - Due in Feb. 2011
annie2186

TTC/TTW/No Longer TTA

Baby_Cakes
jeninejessica
BarefootScientist
MovingMomma

Good luck to those of us who are now TTC!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:

Taking
Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila

Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:

Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:

AF: Aunt Flo, your period
AFM: as for me
BD: baby dancing; bed dancing (i.e. sex)
BFP: positive pregnancy test (big fat positive)
BFN: negative pregnancy test (big fat negative)
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CTA: Charting to Avoid
CTW: Charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

Happy Charting Everyone!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Me first!

katy ~ Have you tested again?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#3 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the new thread Baby_Cakes!

MW, WRT to your temping time, I say take your temp when you first wake up regardless if it's 4:30 AM and see how your temps are for a week or so. I don't always take my temp at 5 AM. Sometimes I wake up at 4 AM. I think it's more important to take your temp after prolonged sleep rather than at the exact same time every day.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Me first!

katy ~ Have you tested again?
Good question! I just looked at her chart... Katy, if you haven't I would suggest you test again. I was looking through my baby box last night and I looked at the pg tests I took 11 DPO. If I didn't know better, I would have thought they were negative. Better result 12 DPO on the dollar test but a nice clear line on the FRER.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Is it annoying to ask that my username in the original post be changed to katIEdidbug and not katydidbug? Sounds lame, I know, but I'm a Katie, lol.

MW: No, I haven't tested again...13 dpo and temps are still REALLY high. I will test on Friday or Saturday if no AF. The whole thing is so weird. Even if I do get AF, I never would've thought my first pp lp would be so long. It was only six days with DS1. So weird.
Also, I agree w/ Annie. Try taking your temps when you actually wake up for a while and see how it looks.

Annie, Phew! Glad you didn't O yet.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#6 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Ooops, subbing!

#7 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Hi. Can I play?

I’m 34 and new to charting. I read TCOYF last month and just finishing charting my first cycle. Super-nerdy, so I’m loving the new knowledge this gives me about my body.

I’ve never been pregnant. DH and I are discussing possibly TTC early next year, but we are definitely TTA until then.

My chart:
#8 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM

do you need the link to my chart for the op?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/300c9b

does this work?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

LOL. That was quick!
#10 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Updated to here!

Not annoying at all, Katie - so sorry for the typo!!
Welcome Capretta!
Thanks Lioness! Yep, it works!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#11 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Welcome, capretta! I must be super nerdy, too, because I love charting! Were you using backup bc when you had intercourse during your fertile time?

#12 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Katiedidbug: Thanks and yep. We're using barriers (condom or diaphragm) all cycle until we're more comfortable with charting and the rules. I think TCOYF recommended 2-3 cycles of charting first.
#13 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM

subbing!

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#14 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you for the new thread!

subbing!

a few missing temps but it seems that I'm on my way to O!
#15 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Welcome, capretta! You're in good company in regards to enthusiasm for charting here.

MW: Can you temp when your DH gets up?

katie: Temp up today, huh? I'm also waiting for you to test again...

Annie: I think the only constant in post mc cycles is weirdness.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#16 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
Annie: I think the only constant in post mc cycles is weirdness.
No kidding...I had spotting again today. Good grief!

#17 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM

Sorry about misspelling your name. I blame it all on Carrie. I thought it was Katie but saw that it was posted as Katy when I checked the front page. One thing I was thinking is that I wonder if it's possible you didn't O until 2 days after FF put your crosshairs. It seems that even with that really low temp, it's still above your CL but you did discard a couple of higher temps so...Of course, that doesn't really help with the not being pg thing because that would mean you dtd the day before O, which would make pg even more likely. It may explain the longer lp, though.

Welcome, capretta.

Shannon ~ If he were home consistently and I woke consistently when he did and he didn't get up so insanely early (4 am every morning, no thank you!) then yeah. I'm not willing to set my alarm for earlier than I usually wake because I have problems sleeping as it is. I don't want to add to that. KWIM? I'm probably waking early now because he's gone. Aaaaah, when will I ever get a consistent full nights sleep?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#18 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM

No prob, MW. And I've been thinking along the same lines re: my lp, too. I was puking the night before my temp rise, so that could've accounted for the rise, not necessarily O. I could've easily o'd the day after.

#19 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM

subbing - and may i add how coincidental it is to start a new month with cd1?? lol

i was gonna start a new thread but thought i'd ask you ladies too....I am trying out an instead cup for the first time and am looking for tips or advice? I know this is the disposable brand of the diva cup, but a lot of ladies have said I can just rinse and reuse a few times? Then if comfortable I may invest in a diva.

but should i sit down or stand up to take out? How long before I should "check it"? As long as I don't feel it can I presume it is in right? I have one in right now and although awkward to insert, seems to not be leaking and can't feel it.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#20 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM

I've never used that particular cup before, but I'm a big user of the Diva Cup. LOVE IT! I stand up when I put it in and like to put it in the shower, because it goes in pretty easy if it's wet. Again, I'm not sure about that particular product, but I change mine in the morning and evening, and it's never even close to being full. HTH.

#21 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post
I've never used that particular cup before, but I'm a big user of the Diva Cup. LOVE IT! I stand up when I put it in and like to put it in the shower, because it goes in pretty easy if it's wet. Again, I'm not sure about that particular product, but I change mine in the morning and evening, and it's never even close to being full. HTH.
thanks Katie! I think it is similar to the Diva but technically supposed to be disposable.

#22 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
subbing - and may i add how coincidental it is to start a new month with cd1?? lol

i was gonna start a new thread but thought i'd ask you ladies too....I am trying out an instead cup for the first time and am looking for tips or advice? I know this is the disposable brand of the diva cup, but a lot of ladies have said I can just rinse and reuse a few times? Then if comfortable I may invest in a diva.

but should i sit down or stand up to take out? How long before I should "check it"? As long as I don't feel it can I presume it is in right? I have one in right now and although awkward to insert, seems to not be leaking and can't feel it.
I have a diva cup and I want to love it. Mostly it's great but I do have some issues. I have tried "insteads" and they fit more like a diaphragm, iirc, which is much more comfortable to me. I can't use my diva on the first day of flow, it makes my cramps worse but that might be because I still have a hard time getting it in and all that poking around is jarring. I haven't figured out the magic position for getting it in easily, though I do agree with changing it in the shower
I guess I would say that I do like it, but I wouldn't want to rely on it w/o my cloth for the first day or so. I am always aware of it, and it does start to irritate me after awhile, so do pads though. I guess I like variety
I've had it about a year....
#23 of 187 Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey people! I haven't been around here very much - my charts have just been ticking along, no muss no fuss.

Anyway... in a shocking turn of events, it turns out we might be TTC as early as THIS cycle or the next one! (I'm on CD12 now; my average O date is CD22.) I'm kind of nervous but very excited - picking up folic acid from the supermarket today, as well as stocking up on some stuff for bulk cooking (to get us through the first trimester) and buying some folate-rich foods. What else should I be doing, nutrition-wise? We're TF, more or less, so I'm going to try to get lots of nutrient-dense foods in me before morning sickness hits. ...Amazingly, the thought of morning sickness doesn't totally put me off the idea of pregnancy. Life is weird.

Does anyone have any data on how much charting decreases the number of cycles required to conceive? On average I mean, obviously. Google says it takes the average couple 6 months to conceive, but that presumably includes couples with fixable fertility issues (of the boxers-vs-briefs type, say); and doesn't TCOYF recommend seeing a doctor if you haven't conceived within 6 months, for charting couples?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#24 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 AM

HulaJenn: Yea, like Toolip said, instead is kind of a different animal than the diva or other reusable cups.

Check out www.youtube.com/user/MenstrualCupInfo for some great videos including a demonstration of instead and diva (and just about every cup in existence, I think). This woman is awesome. She also runs a board (menstrualcups.friendhood.net) where you can find all sorts of info and troubleshooting.

I use a Fleurcup and love it. I check it about once every 3-12hrs depending on the flow. I sit on the toilet to take it out and put it back in.
#25 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Does anyone have any data on how much charting decreases the number of cycles required to conceive? On average I mean, obviously. Google says it takes the average couple 6 months to conceive, but that presumably includes couples with fixable fertility issues (of the boxers-vs-briefs type, say); and doesn't TCOYF recommend seeing a doctor if you haven't conceived within 6 months, for charting couples?
Hey, congrats! LMK if you want me to move you to a different category!

Is it 6 months or 3? I can't recall. But yeah - totally average and it could take longer, could be quicker. GOOD LUCK!

#26 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM

I think TCOYF says to seek medical help if you haven't conceived in 3 cycles with good BD timing. I can't be sure, though, since I don't have my book anymore. I really do need to get another one.

#27 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post
HulaJenn: Yea, like Toolip said, instead is kind of a different animal than the diva or other reusable cups.

Check out www.youtube.com/user/MenstrualCupInfo for some great videos including a demonstration of instead and diva (and just about every cup in existence, I think). This woman is awesome. She also runs a board (menstrualcups.friendhood.net) where you can find all sorts of info and troubleshooting.

I use a Fleurcup and love it. I check it about once every 3-12hrs depending on the flow. I sit on the toilet to take it out and put it back in.
thanks for the great resource! Will def check it out!

#28 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM

thanks for adding my chart! not that it really shows anything yet. lol. i am all over the place. i set my alasrm for 6 am. but i need to take my temp if i wake up sooner instead of falling back to sleep for 15 more minutes. if i wake at 3 or 4 after having slept 3 hours, is that good? Is 1 am too early? lol. sometimes i cant sleep 3 more hours straight after that. it depends on my baby. also, maybe i should do it vaginally. does the bbt have to touch the walls? where do i stick it? this is all practice till my af returns anyway. eventually i want to try for another boy.

i dont know what is going on but i have been some mean lately. to my family. snide, rude, sarcastic comments. i have gotten to the point where i dont want to talk to them bc i am afraid i am hurting them. it has been at least 2 weeks. since we got the salmonella poisoning. either i have issues cause of that or my hormones are preparing for af? the last time i was like this emotionally was before i started taking continous level bcp. one moment i am being rude to everyone (nasty stuff coming out of my mouth) and the next moment i am crying. someone needs to tape my mouth shut or something. i was told taking extra b12 could help. any suggestions? i am starting to hate myself, and i am being a bad mom.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#29 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM

jennifer: IME, the 3 hrs min of sleep is a little more flexible than it sounds. My temps come out fine when waking to nurse a baby, as long as I'm not getting out of bed a whole bunch. Even a trip to the bathroom is fine, as long as it's not immediately prior to temping. Others may have different experiences, but for me, temping close to the same time each day is much more important than temping after a certain number of hours of sleep. And for the being mean stuff. I deal w/that from time to time too, and I can't always blame it on hormones. Depression can also manifest as irritability/anger.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#30 of 187 Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i dont know what is going on but i have been some mean lately. to my family. snide, rude, sarcastic comments. i have gotten to the point where i dont want to talk to them bc i am afraid i am hurting them. it has been at least 2 weeks. since we got the salmonella poisoning. either i have issues cause of that or my hormones are preparing for af? the last time i was like this emotionally was before i started taking continous level bcp. one moment i am being rude to everyone (nasty stuff coming out of my mouth) and the next moment i am crying. someone needs to tape my mouth shut or something. i was told taking extra b12 could help. any suggestions? i am starting to hate myself, and i am being a bad mom.
For me the anger/crazy mood swings happens right before I ovulate, knowing that it happens makes it a little bit easier but I still have a difficult time not snapping back at DH and DD at that time.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page