tell me about instead cups - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying out an instead cup for the first time and am looking for tips or advice? I know this is the disposable brand of the diva cup, but a lot of ladies have said I can just rinse and reuse a few times? then if comfortable I may invest in a diva.

But should i sit down or stand up to take out? How long before I should "check it"? As long as I don't feel it can I presume it is in right?

I have one in right now and so far, can't feel it and it isn't leaking.
Any tips or things you found made it easier to use cleanly? lol
Thanks in advance!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM

I've used instead for years. When I had an IUD I briefly used the Diva cup. I am way more comfortable with the Insteads. One of the nice things is that you can still have sex with an Instead, but not a Diva.

Yes, you can rinse and reuse them even though the instructions say not to. Don't save them for the next cycle though. I bought the Diva cup wash and use that to clean them.

I always sit over the toilet to take them out. Especially on my heaviest days once I pull it out I can kind of dump most of the blood in the toilet in one motion. In public toilets it helps to have a small squirt bottle to rinse in out if you're going to reuse it. Then wipe as usual.

On heavy days I usually check it every 2-4 hours or so. On light days I kind of forget its even there and go 12 hours without changing it. Once at the end of my cycle I forgot it was in there and left it in for more than 24 hours. No ill effects or anything, but I guess you're not supposed to do that.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#3 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM

I tried those... they are HUGE! I don't understand how to even put them in. I can't turn it so its a cup over my cervix... I can only get it in sideways... which doesn't help at all! It catches most of the stuff but when I pull out, a ton comes pouring all over. Maybe I'm missing something???
#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
I tried those... they are HUGE! I don't understand how to even put them in. I can't turn it so its a cup over my cervix... I can only get it in sideways... which doesn't help at all! It catches most of the stuff but when I pull out, a ton comes pouring all over. Maybe I'm missing something???
Its easiest to insert when you're sitting down. That way when you put it in level it fits right over your cervix. It is really important that when it is completely in it rests just behind your pubic bone.

When I remove it I'm sitting over the toilet and pull it straight out. Then as soon as its out I tilt it back and most of the blood goes in the toilet.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#5 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Instead made a video that helps. Its got a lot of sappy music and testimonials but it has really good information.

http://www.softcup.com/video.html

#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the great info! I found it was a little messy on my heaviest days but with more practice it may get easier.
will check out the video later when I get a chance!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page