Adiana for permanent birth control? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did choose to have the Adiana done. It was nearly painless. No problems sense either. I am very glad I did. No extra cramping. No hormonal shifts. Just normal periods.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#32 of 45 Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM

I had my adiana done October 2010, and the HSG which showed them 100% blocked and i was good to go!  My Dr stressed to me that this was  irreversible, and to be sure i wanted it... I was positive being that i lost my last child to myotomic myopythy (can spell right now, freaking out) and there is a 75% chance it will happen again... Myy husband at the time got fixed, however we divorced therefore i had this procedure done.  Which by the way was painful, took him 45min more than he anticipated and i cried the whole time...

Anyway, i skipped my period this month, super tired so i took a test yesterday... i'm pregnant!  I have been with my boyfriend for a couple months (luckily we have known eachother for 20+ years and had dated in high school), however i told him i'm totally safe, can't have kids and now i am faced with this... i called my dr, he is panicing to say the least, i had blood work done yesterday and have an ultrasound tonight so that they can see where the baby is... My boyfriend is coming with me and THANK GOD has told me that what ever happens and what ever we decide he is with me the whole way! 

OMG i don't even know what i am writing or looking for now, i guess i saw the other posts of those 2%'ers (which i was unaware of) and it is making it even more real that i am pregnant!  I guess i was still praying that they will say there is no baby tonight! :(  Thank you all for posting, becuase i was feeling so alone and cofused and as sad as this is, it's nice that i'm not alone!  I'm not a baby, however i could never go through loosing another baby like i did with my 15 month old! Oh and to make matters better, my Dr is on vacation, therefore i'm going to a lab tonight and will probably not know anything until tomorrow or the next day... ugh... sorry to vent just freaking out!

#33 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM

You are in my prayers please keep posting

#34 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM

We were unable to just remove the Adiana since it was placed properly.....last Friday I had a partial hysterectomy, on the happier note my pain is gone but I had to loss my lady parts at only 28 to do it.

#35 of 45 Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Hi everyone!  I did the Adiana in Dec.  Had depo in mid november, did Adiana in mid december.  The pain of the procedure was pretty bad during.  Lots of pressure and I could feel when they did the cauterization.  I was breathing like I was in labor.  I was fine right afterwards though.

In January I bled for 3 weeks but haven't had a period since.  I have developed a large painful cyst on my right ovary which sent me in for an US to confirm I wasn't having a tubal pregnancy.  Today I went for my HSG which was a painful nightmare.  I cannot believe my doctor only said to take a couple of motrin before hand.  PLEASE look up the HSG before you decide to do any tubal blockage procedure because it was 200% worse then the procedure itself.  To top that off, only my right tube is blocked.  SO not only do I now have to go back on BC which is what I didn't want to do but now I am dealing with terrible pain from this cyst.  I have another friend that did the Esure and she ALSO got a cyst on one side.

I would not recommend this procedure just because of the uncertainty of it's placement/permanence.  I would do the other side but it doesn't matter because I CANNOT go through another HSG

#36 of 45 Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM

I had the Adiana in Dec 2009. I went for my hsg X-ray and had confirmed blockage. I also had a repeat hsg a year later and had confirmed blockage and I also had a ultrasound where they used sterile water to check the blockage and it too confirms blockage. I had confirmation three times. . Fast forward to December 2011, two years later and surprise! I am pregnant! It is a normal pregnancy and in ultrasound we could see the devices still in the tube. I would encourage anyone interested in permanent birth control to get the traditional tubal ligation. I am very excited about the baby and feel blessed. Clearly God has bigger and better plans for me. smile.gif
#37 of 45 Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM

I had a tubal ligation (cauterized) back in spring of 06, and ended up having a miscarriage last November(2011), never missed a period.sometimes even have 2 a month.  both sides are open. Doc wants me to do both the Adiana and novasure. trying to find info on both.

#38 of 45 Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 AM

I had the Adian aprocedure done and it didnt work! I do not recommend it.

#39 of 45 Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Interestingly, Adiana was taken off the market within the past couple of months - stated reason was for financial considerations - but in the end I think it was an inferior product to Essure in terms of effectiveness and didn't provide a whole lot of other benefit except to those with the metal sensitivities or needing Novasure at the same time (Novasure labeling may actually be getting changed to allow Essure at the same time). 

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#40 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 AM

I'm new, and was reading up this thread, thanks for posting.  I just had my HSG after Adiana in March, and the Doc that did it mentioned that it had been taken off the market.  What do you think this might mean for us who have it in? I imagine it will not change things as no follow-up is required, but it just makes me nervous! Thanks for all your great posting kidzaplenty, you got me beat by 5 kids winky.gif!!

#41 of 45 Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM

I was in the FDA trials. I have had Adiana for 9 years now with no problems.

#42 of 45 Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM

I had the Adiana procedure done in December 2011, They make you wait 3 months and then you need to get a HSG, which is basically dye inserted in your tubes to make sure they are closed, I went on the 3rd month to have the HSG done only to find out that 1 of of my tubes were still open. This is not common but however it did happen to me. I went back 3 months later (Dr.'s Orders) and had another HSG (August 2012) done, to find out again that only one of my tubes were blocked. I am now working with my Doctor to discuss other options. I do not recommend this procedure to anyone. Also my aunt works at an OBGYN in Chicago and the Doctor there completely pulled this product from their shelves. If you are looking for a permanent birth control I would recommend the old fashioned way. Get them tied!

#43 of 45 Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

I had the Adiana procedure done 2 years ago in my doctors office, it was great.. I was afraid to have a tubaligation so I opted for this. I had no issues at all, no cramping, no bleeding. I felt great. I waited about 4-5 months to go to make sure my tubes were blocked so all is good and 2 years later, no problems. I would totally recommend this to anyone. My hubby was thrilled when vascectemy was mentioned....

#44 of 45 Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my current story to add my experiences to that of others.

I received the Adiana procedure in late 2010 (Nov/Dec) right after my 4th child was born.  The doc gave me a Vicodin to take ahead of time which was NOTHING compared to the pain of having the cauterizing tool inserted at a wrong angle, then having that redone, and then having both of my fallopian tubes BRANDED.  I was in horrible pain during and after the procedure and did bleed quite a bit.  Oh and the pharmaceutical rep was in the room for the procedure and directed the doctor through the whole thing.  This made me extremely uncomfortable at the time, but I figured he needed the help since I was his first Adiana patient.

The "HSG" or 3-month follow up procedure was nearly as bad but the doctor did confirm that the tubes were both blocked.

Fast forward to this past week and I just learned that I am SIX MONTHS pregnant.  I am hoping I can get an ultrasound this week to find out the gender of the baby and make sure s/he is OK.  I am assuming that the baby is in my uterus because I am starting to show and I feel fetal movement, and feeling around, the baby does seem to be in the right spot.  Plus, I heard that ectopic pregnancies will normally burst the tube at 8 or 9 weeks and I haven't had any pain like that or medical emergencies.

I am looking into whether there is any legal recourse for me - not simply because the procedure failed (unless of course it wasn't done right) but also because pharmaceutical rep directed the whole thing.  And by that, I mean she literally told him every step and he did it, and she corrected him when he inserted the tool crooked in my tube and I cried out in pain and made him re-do it.  He asked her questions and followed all her directions.  Isn't that practicing medicine without a license?  I don't know for sure, but I'm certainly contacting an attorney who will look into it.

I'm glad Adiana has been discontinued, especially after reading about all the other families who have gotten pregnant after the procedure (and my heart goes out to those whose pregnancies resulted in the loss of their new baby).  I got the procedure because any more pregnancies could be a serious threat to MY health, and though the Lord has blessed me to have an easy and safe pregnancy thus far (well as far as I can tell, not having received ANY prenatal care) but there are some who could not afford the subsequent pregnancy - their lives literally ride upon being able to trust that a sterilization measure worked.

We are excited to welcome our new baby in just 3 months and we're dying to find out the gender (which will be at the first ultrasound, haha!).  We are scrambling to see if we can get ANY insurance... and all my pregnancies are high risk, so this could be tens of thousands on up if we cannot.  A previous baby had a heart condition and we have to be sure that this baby is healthy and safe - I'm going nuts not knowing!  Not to mention that we now have another soul to put through college... it is not right for anyone to take that decision away from me after my husband and I carefully and thoughtfully decided to stop after 4 kids.  Don't get me wrong - we are thrilled that the baby is coming - but that was for US to decide.  Nevertheless, God is good, he has a plan for us... and for our sneaky skydiving ninja angel baby, who will be loved to pieces forever.

#45 of 45 Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM

I don't recommend the procedure at all.  I had mine done in Oct 2011 and just learned this week that I am pregnant.  I very upset as I followed everything I was told I had to do and now I'm pregnant.  My boyfriend and I made the decision not to have additional kids and I was told by my doctor how great this procedure was.  Its really frustrating because I'm lost now and not sure where to turn...I had the procedure to prevent having to make a decision like this.  Waiting on an attorney to call me back...others told me there's nothing that can be done as there was a risk of becoming pregnant and unless something happens to the baby there is nothing they can do.  If any one has any advise please let me know.

Tags
Health Healing , Health , Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page