Adiana for permanent birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to personal reasons my husband and I have been considering some form of long term/permanent birth prevention. But since I object to chemicals as well as other "temporary" forms of BC (such as IUDs) I have not really given it much thought, beyond NFP. I have just learned about this new form of BC called Adiana.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or had it? Anyone have any information beyond what I can google up on the internet?

Thanks in advance!
advice give likes this.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#2 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 AM

is it similar to essure?

mama to one '07 and one '09
#3 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Like Essure, but Essure uses metal (nickle) coils where Adiana uses a tiny "sponge" thing (I think medical grade, implant, silicone stuff).

I don't nickle well and would not want little metal springs in me, but a small spongy thing (the size of a grain of rice) does not sound too bad.

#4 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM

Bumping this thread since I came here to post for the very same reason! I want sterilization ideally but have been put off reading about tubal legation and essure. With tubals I understand that some women have hormonal issues afterward and *supposedly* that doesn't happen with adiana. I'd love to hear about some experiences as I haven't been able to find much. If both procedures block the tubes, wouldn't they have similar hormonal side effects? I'm just concerned because my hormones tend to have a very sensitive balance as it is!
To the op, have you discovered anything new in your research?

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#5 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

OP here.

Being so new to the market, I am having a real tough time finding anyone that has actually had it done. I have not found anything else new beyond what a basic search shows. One thing I have noticed is that I can't seem to find any "bad" experiences with it.

When I search, I can find many, many bad reactions, complaints, and painful storied that accompany the Essure procedure. But only one single one from Adiana, but I can't remember exatly what it was, but it was not a horrible one.

As for the hormonal issues following a tubal, I think (if I understand it correctly) the hormonal issues stem from damaged ovaries, thus sending your body into sudden "menopause".

Let me see if I remember right, just over 50% of women have two supplies of blood to the ovaries. That means that just under 50% have only one blood supply to each ovary. Meaning that if you are in the percentage that has only one blood supply to the ovary, and that supply is cut during your tubal, your ovary will die. Thus, you get "menopause" conditions.

At least that is how I understand it. And it could easily account for the percentage of those that have hormonal issues after a tubal.

IF that is the main reason for hormal issues stemming from a tubal, the Adiana procedure would not affect it since it does not cut any blood flow at all.

Anyways, that is just conjecture on my part, as I can't seem to find any evidence either way. I was hoping to get some responses from anyone that has had the procedure done. So far, nothing.

On another board, the only personal experiences I read about were "placement failures" (the devices could not be placed for one reason or another) or "prevention failures" (thus pregnancies happened). And nearly every one of those were due to the person not getting the follow up testing, or not preventing pgcy during the first few months.

But, even with this, most people are interchanging Essure and Adiana (and mostly talking about the Essure), so it is not clear as to which failed.

#6 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Kidzaplenty, You were in my ddc when I was pregnant with my son! How are you doing?

Yeah it looks like our research has led us to the same place. There's not much information out there. I've been surprised by the general lack of interest on the subject. It seems like a more promising option. I guess the word has just not gotten out yet considering, as you said, that women seem to post about adiana and essure interchangeably! Thank you for the explanation as to the hormonal reactions. I had not found anything about that. Interesting!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#7 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM

I decided againt Adiana because it has the highest failure rate among all methods of permanent sterilization. Technically, it still is a low failure rate but not low enough for me. Also, some of the failures have been deemed true method failure and not from failure on the doctor's end or the patient end.

The studies that have been done on tubals have shown that is does not cause menopause symptoms or post tubal ligation syndrome. I know some people still disagree.

Most of the good research I found was from the New England Journal of Medicine. Try searching for "Adiana and New England Journal of Medicine". There's a really good study comparing Adiana and Essure and there are studies on tubals. I'll look for it later but I need to go pick up my son from preschool right now.
#8 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Okay, here's the study regarding menstrual problems after a tubal ligation:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...00012073432303

and here's the study on Essure and Adiana. I thought it was also from the New England Journal of Medicine, but it isn't. It is from the National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine posted on the National Institute of Health government website.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709331/

I have decided to have a postpartum tubal after a vaginal birth. In all the research I did, I came to the conclusion that there really is no perfect answer. You just have to make the decison that's best for you based on the benefits and risks of each procedure.
#9 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythe #1 View Post
The studies that have been done on tubals have shown that is does not cause menopause symptoms or post tubal ligation syndrome. I know some people still disagree.
I know that many studies may show that there are no menopausal symptoms, but the very fact that there are so very many women that say they have menopausal symptoms post tubal, I tend to believe that there really are.

As for the failure rate. I don't have a problem with the .6% difference between the Essure and Adiana. Nor do I mind the 6% failure rate as compaired to the 100% failure rate of no BC at all.

#10 of 45 Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM

if you are in Tulsa OK, Dr Lofgren and Dr Baldwin do this procedure among many others.  I highly recommend this product to any women.

Sara Tinsley

#11 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM

i actually had the procedure done in december.  i had mine done at the hospital so i was put under for it. the worst part was waking up with a sore throat from the intubation tube. i also had some cramping, which they gave me percocet for it, but other than that everything went okay. i was sleepy from the anesthesia but by that evening, i felt like i hadnt even been in the hospital that day. i was scared about the hsg test because i read so many bad reviews about it, but it wasnt bad at all. well both my tubes are blocked and now i just got to hope and pray that i dont fall into that 2% category of people that get pregnant after the procedure. 

#12 of 45 Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM

I had the Adiana procedure in October 2010. Procedure was done in the doctor's office, everything went fine. Some minor cramping but the doc gave me some good stuff to take prior to going in. HSG went fine, I took a vicodin left from the procedure before I went in. Tubes "supposedly" were blocked. Having some issues called the doc, they told me to take home pregnancy test....positive....guess I fall in the 1.1%. I am freaking out. I go tomorrow for ultrasound..We will see if I am miscarrying or what. I am scared. This was not supposed to happen!!!

#13 of 45 Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Doesn't it take like 12 months for it to be completely blocked?  That is what I was thinking.  Maybe I am totally off.

#14 of 45 Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry if I come across as insensitive!  I didn't mean it that way.  I was just curious about your dates and the length of time you had the procedure until you actuall got pg.  (If you don't mind sharing.)  Sorry you are going though this.  It is one of the reasons I am looking for all the info I can get.  Since I can't afford an "oops".

#15 of 45 Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM

No, I don't mind you asking, and I did not think it sounded insensitive. I think the procedure is still too new and although the procedure itself went fine for me and "if it had worked" would have recommended to everyone, but now I just don't know. Procedure was done in October on last year, I had my 12 week follow up in January on this year. According to the doctor and everything that I have read, you only need to use "other methods" during the 12 weeks after the procedure, as long as the HSG comes back okay, you are "supposed" to be good to go. I just got back from the doctor, still inconclusive. Ultrasound was neg. but pregnancy test they did was pos. They done bloodwork today and I have to go back in 48 hours for more bloodwork. If numbers go up, then I am prego, if they go down, I miscarried. Either way, she said that I am or was pregnant, the procedure failed me. She said that it was possible that when they done the HSG, when they shot the dye it, it could have made my tubes "throb" and it could have made it look like they were closed. She spoke to a rep of the product and this is what they told her. Needless to say, my deductible is paid for this year so if I am not pregnant, I will be having the surgery this time. She said I could have this procedure redone as it may just be one tube that failed, but I don't want to chance it again.

#16 of 45 Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

OK.  Maybe this is where I missed it.  I thought the failure rate was like 4.6% the first six months (and even higher in the first 3 months), and then the 1.1% AFTER 12 months.  That is why I have been looking for 12 month options on BC.

#17 of 45 Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Honestly, who knows, I have seen many different things online. I am only going by what my doctor told me and gave me, we are supposed to be able to trust them...I am on the fence on that as well irked.gif So frustrating...I had the IUD for 8 years prior to this...LOVED IT!! No periods, it was great! I was on my second one as they are only good for 5 years. I had it removed at the request of my Thyroid doctor because we were having some trouble keeping it regulated, I have had hypothyroid since I was 15 years old, I am now 32. I told him I would only do it if I could get fixed and he said that was fine. So that is why I went this route, I too, thought it would be cheaper, turns out it has been more expensive than if I would have just had the surgery done because of insurance changes. I am very tempted to go back to the IUD, but don't know how the doc will feel about it. The procedure itself was cheap, then my insurance changed and the HSG cost me out the rear!

#18 of 45 Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 AM

Interesting articles, thanks Blythe #1 for posting! I'm 100% sure I want some form of permanent sterilization after #2 is born in Feb. Doing the research as to which type has my head spinning! I have been diagnosed with PMDD and was on Sarafem in the past. I've been able to correct almost all symptoms with cognitive therapy and meditation, but I'm very concerned about my hormone levels and my milk supply with the new baby. I don't want to take the risk of developing PTLS with a traditional tubal or clamp device. There's nothing concrete as to how often it occurs, I found anything from 5% - 35%. Does anyone know what the chances really are? So now I'm thinking that one of the implants (Adiana) would be a better option. The only thing is, I have a known allergy to contrast media and they use that during the confirmation test. I might be able to get away with it since it's not an anaphylactic reaction, and the dye isn't injected into my blood stream just my uterus (and maybe they can flush it out?) I have lots to discuss with my Dr, I can't wait for my first appointment next week!

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

#19 of 45 Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Good luck to you if you choose the Adiana. As in my previous post, mine failed even after my 12 week HSG test showed my tubes were blocked. Found out last week that I did indeed miscarry. So now I go back to the doctor Aug. 18th to schedule the tubal ligation surgery. As for the Adiana procedure and HSG procedure, I did not think they were bad. I had a doctor who made sure I had enough prescriptions that I felt no pain. It just failed for me in the long run.

#20 of 45 Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM

had my procedure April 2011. HSG two weeks ago still showed failure of blockage on both sides. I had tubal ligation surgery last week. We did ultrasound to prove to Adiana people that the inserts were placed correctly, but simply didn't work. My OB/GYN advised me another doctor he is friends with just delivered a post-Adiana procedure baby. Do this procedure at your own risk.....

#21 of 45 Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM

brand new to this website, and only stumbled upon it today after getting my HSG done. I had the Adiana done last November when my son was 7 weeks old.  We moved before the 90 day post insertion HSG was done, and the new OB I have here wouldn't run and HSG until I started my period again (BFing so it's been awhile).  Finally got AF back, and went in today for my HSG and found out only one tube is blocked.  I'm SUPER thankful we decided to stick with the pill until I got the test done!  Now I'm trying to figure out what course of action we're going to take since the first procedure didn't work

#22 of 45 Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Friends -

I am considering Adiana for reasons that some in this forum will find incredible.

After a second surgery in five years to remove fibroids, I had my tubes tied (cauterized, really). I had four months of regular periods then missed one but thought little of it except for "this is how menopause starts." My period did begin again with spotting... then bleeding... then a trip to the ER where I learned I'd been pregnant and was having a miscarriage. Yes, friends, even traditional sterilization via laparascope can fail for 5 of 1,000 people in the course of a year.

The Adiana website says tubal ligation contraindicates Adiana but my doc wants to check out my tubes to see if placement is possible. I fear its ineffectiveness. You can imagine that I am already frazzled by needing to address my fertility once again.

Thoughts?

#23 of 45 Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM

I too am new to this website,  I was searching the web on what to do after an Adiana procedure failed. I got my procedure done in July, I got my test done to check and see if it took in Dec. It didn't take, only one side is blocked. GRRR so now, I don't know what to do. I actually scheduled to get a tubal ligation, but unfortunately the cost of the procedure is way to high and we can not afford it. What is my Dr.'s responsibility now that we know that the Adiana procedure has failed?

#24 of 45 Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I am considering the Adiana along with having an ablation once the HSG completed.

Does anyone have anyone have any advice regarding the performace of these 2 procedures together?

#25 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I have done it, it's been almost 2 years & I loved it! It was painless, done in my doctors office! I was awake during procedure & watched the whole thing done in the monitor, it was the coolest thing! It only took about an hour & I never had to worry about getting pregnant again! The best part about it is no surgery! 

#26 of 45 Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM

I see you were considering this procedure a few months ago.  I had it done Nov. 30, 2010 and was very pleased with the outcome, virtually no pain after, took the prescribed pain meds through the day following my procedure and everything went off without a hitch. However,  I went to my doctor Feb 7, 2012 and discovered I am having a uterine pregnancy.  I have been with my OBGYN for over 10 years and he states that I am the 1st of his patients to have a permanent birth control done and it not have worked.  He did not perform the procedure himself, an outside group came into his office and did it.  I am about to turn 39 years old and did not anticipate this challenge at this point in my life.  I do not believe in abortion.  I guess I fall into the 1.6% chance of still getting pregnant.  I am not steering you against as it your decision, however after having this experience, a tubal litigation might be a more effective method. 

#27 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM

I had this done in 2011 when my baby was a few months old. I nursed him for 15 months in which I had no periods. When I got my periods back they were horrible. Then suddenly I'm experiencing all sorts of PTLS, including what looks like early menopause.

I am way too young for this. I am having night sweats, missing periods, mood swings, weight gain, hair loss, rapid heart rate, insomnia, etc.

I specifically did not do a tubal so I could avoid this.  Later my doctor told me that the scaring can go beyond the tube, into the vein and still cause PTLS.

It's horrible. Don't do it.

Now they want to give me the pill for the sypmptoms, but why get fixed if you're just going to get on the pill any way?

#28 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 PM

I had this procedure as well as the Nova Sure (endometrial ablation) done at the same time back in June 2010.  The procedure itself went fine. It was done in my doctor's office while I was under anesthesia. I had several hours of severe cramping afterwards, but once it went away, I was fine. I did not even feel like I had anything done.

The HSG test was way, way worse. It was extremely painful both during and afterwards. I was supposed to go right from the test to work, but was unable to do that. I had to lie down for a while first. And the end result was that only one tube was blocked. So, I was trying to get rid of painful periods and avoid having to take birth control until menopause and I have to still take them anyway. I was wondering if it was at all possible for the Adiana to still block my other tube, maybe it just took longer than 3 months to work? I'm not willing to go through that test again yet, though. 

Love, Love, Love the results of the Nova Sure procedure though. My periods are gone completely with the exception of once in a great while, I have a day or two of light spotting. 

Everyone reacts differently to things - I definitely recommend either procedure. With the Adiana, though, it seems like you just cross your fingers and hope for the best. 

#29 of 45 Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM

I had the Adiana procedure done back in early September 2011. The tubes "supposedly" block but my left tube never did. My OB doctor decides to re-do the left side since it didn't block. The procedure will perform on March 28th, 2012 at the doctor office. I should never have this done. Its totally messed up my hormones and everything else. I should have just do the old fashion way-taking the pills. I also notice, every times I go back in for follow-up, I am being charge with alot of things that's not even being done when I was there, $1390.40-every time. I am so tired of this and may God help me get through this!
#30 of 45 Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM

I had the Adiana done 9 months ago and have nothing but  horrible problems mine was inserted properly and formed the blockage I now suffer from a hormone in balances and am on a daily hormone I was bleeding for 15 days then stop for 10 then bleed for 15 again.  The hormone has controlled the bleeding but I still suffer from sever pain 10-15 days out of the month.  I am now on narcotic pain killers for my cramps.  I see my OB again on Monday I am having the Adiana cut out I have never suffered this much pain in my life.  Please proceed with caution all who are considering this procedure.

Tags
Health Healing , Health , Family Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page