Mothering Forum banner

Is this method of bc effective enough?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JamieCatheryn 
#1 ·
I've debated and debated bc for months now since ds2 was born (actually years, since ds1 was born). I do not not not want to get pg again- probably ever, but *definitely* not before ds2 is 4yo or so. But hormonal bc freaks me out, and I'm sensitive to metal so can't do a copper iud.

My plan happens to be similar to what we were doing for a couple years before I got pg with ds2. The one time we deviated from our plan, I got pg with him.

Here's the plan:
Keep track of menstrual cycle days, and CM.
Withdrawal every time we dtd (and dp will/does stick to that)
Abstain 1 week before O is due, and until CM gets sticky. Also abstaining earlier if CM seems to be getting fertile.

I'm also debating using spermicide from AF until after I'm sure I O'ed and am no longer fertile. I don't like diaphragm like devices, so it would just be straight spermicide or films or the like. I'm confident that we will do the w/d "correctly", and I know what fertile/almost fertile CM is like. I'm also confident that we won't "accidentally" forget to abstain during fertile times.

Would you feel comfortable that this method, if done properly, would be efective? Is there anything I'm missing?

Dp and I talked, and as far as I can see, it seems like the chances of getting pg are super duper slim. We joke that if I do, then it's a baby that really wants to be here. lol

See less See more
#2 ·
have you thought about charting temps as well? That can pinpoint ovulation moreso than any CM. Of course the only problem with that is you don't know until after you o, but once you have a few charts under your belt, you get to know your pattern better. And as long as you know all the w/d rules (like DTD more than once requires a pee break to clear the tubes for DH!). Check out the charting to avoid thread for more resources and helpful tips. NFP/FAM can be a great method for birth control but a lot less forgiving with user error. Good Luck!

#3 ·
I charted for ttc a few years back, but I hated it. lol. I doubt I'd last a few days doing it for tta! I'll check out the cta thread to see if there's helpful info there
Thanks!

#4 ·
I used this method for many years with great success, only I used condoms during the fertile period. If you're dillegent it can work, but NOTHING is 100% foolproof.

#6 ·
We used w/d method and that's how I ended up with this pg. I had only a partial first period after giving birth 2 1/2 months before. Had to stop bf'ing due to a surgery. Got pregnant literally a couple of days before going under general ansethesia. Had no clue I was pregnant or even fertile. But taking temps and watching your cm is a huge indicator. Mine was just wacky because of everything. So baby #5, here he comes!

#8 ·
Depends... what do you mean by "a week before O is due"? If you're going by previous ovulation dates, as in "I never ovulate before CD22", then it's risky. There's always the chance that this time, your body will decide to O on CD13.

If you abstain as soon as you have CM that deviates from your BIP, you should be fine. Personally I'd feel MUCH safer temping (partly because my SIL got pregnant twice in rapid succession using Creighton's), but I don't hate temping - find it kind of fun, actually.

W/d alone, if done correctly (urinating between emissions, etc) is pretty effective on its own - so yeah, your plan as a whole seems pretty solid.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
That's basically what we've done since 2002.
I can't help but notice you've had two kids since then...

I looked up th Billings method- very similar! I'll adopt some of the ideas, but stiil w/d even during non-fertile times.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
I can't help but notice you've had two kids since then...

HA! Touche.

And, for full disclosure.....

Firstborn was a surprise, we were about a year into using it and my body went and apparently ovulated twice on me. I had been back to dry cervical mucus signs for several days, and we had an oopsie one time where we were in an awkward position (TMI!!!) and the next day blammo, egg white consistency the next morning again and I was
.....but MAN, what a great hornswaggle my body pulled on me!

After that we got way better at it and had no more "stuck" moments
and avoided until we planned DD's pregnancy 18 months later (I got my period back at 6 months despite nursing), and have been using it since for 4 years (with my period back at 7 months despite DD nursing a lot more than DS did
).

The only time we don't w/d is when we have sex the first time right after my period ends, which is like day 7 or whatever because the chances are so slim and we're OK with the odds....the rest of the month we do w/d every time.

#14 ·
that's what we do... but Ds1 was "planed" (threw caution to the wind and hoped for a baby, though I was only 9 months pp) and Ds2, we had planned to start "trying" the next month, but though I realized I was getting close to ovulation, I was not *that* close and since we were gonna "try" the next month anyway, I was kind of like "what's the worst that could happen?"
Anyway, I guess we're going back to that, if my cycle ever comes back (this is the longest it's been gone, so I don't know what to expect).

#15 ·
This has pretty much been our method since we had # 1 but we are even less diligent than that and just use w/d during fertile times. So far we have only gotten pg when we were trying to conceive. For religious reasons I'd prefer to abstain during fertile times but my dh isn't on the same page so our compromise is w/d. We both fully understand that there is a chance of conceiving and that would be just fine even though we aren't really planning anymore kids.

So if you guys are ok with the possibility of a surprise then I'd say it's good enough.

#16 ·
Essentially the Billings method, then? We did similar, no baby for 14 months, then stopped avoiding and conceived that very cycle. Honestly if you have no CM yet at the start of the cycle or have clearly O'd more than 3 days ago you're safe. no w/d needed. If it's important to be up to 96% safety or better go for an IUD or some such too or start temping, otherwise you're right any baby that gets through that must really want in your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.