Pick Your Baby's Gender Naturally? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Guarantee-Sex-...3972916&sr=8-5

And am wondering if anyone knows about this/has tried it. Does it actually work? We are going to try to start having our 3rd (and hopefully 1st homebirth!) in a few months, and I really would love another little girl

Opinions, thoughts, personal experience?

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Here's the product description (the bolding is mine):

"For many people, having a large family isn’t a reasonable option. Fortunately, medical science has ushered in a new era of family balancing where couples can determine their baby's gender. The Revolutionary Science of Sex Selection guides prospective parents step-by-step through the maze of options currently available — from the unpredictable (and now outdated) timing method, to highly effective sperm sorting, to the preimplantation genetic diagnosis, which guarantees accuracy.

The author describes the most advanced methodologies in simple lay terms so that they are easily understood. But The Revolutionary Science of Sex Selection does more than explain how the technology works — it prepares the reader for the personal experience of fertility drugs, artificial insemination, and/or in vitro fertilization. A bonus chapter details the added medical benefits of genetic testing, including preimplantation screening for single gene defects like cystic fibrosis, B thalassemia, Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell disease, and Huntington's disease."

So basically, the only guaranteed way of gender selection is through a doctor testing your embryos and then implanting them and all the psychological trauma that goes with it.

AND, it's A LOT of money.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and there is a chapter in there about choosing the gender of your child. I think there is some validity in it, but of course, not foolproof. I would suggest getting this book (or another similar) from the library rather than buying a book so if you decide it is bunk you haven't lost your money.

Here's my experience with the TCOYF method. I've had two children since I read the book. During both, I wasn't trying for a certain gender but after I got pg I went back and looked and my chart and it was easy to conclude, according to this chart we'll have a girl. We DTD 4 days and 6 days before O and not again until after O. Both times, we had a girl.

So yes, I think there's some truth in it, even though they take some science and then extrapolate from it. There are often other things affecting your fertility, though. If you have only a day or 2 of fertile CF, you're less likely to have a girl. If your dh is subject to something that might compromise his sperm, you're less likely to have a boy. My dad is a radiologist and (no surprise) has only girls.

I think it would be worth reading that book, or another on the same subject.
#4 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've also read theories - I don't know how scientifically robust they are - about sex selection via diet in an attempt to make the pH of the vagina more acid or alkaline. IIRC "girl" sperm do better in an acid pH (or more accurately, it kills off more of the weaker "boy" sperm), so some people recommend douching with diluted vinegar after sex.

The boy-sperm-are-weaker thing has also led to a lot of advice for the husband do things that are bad for sperm, like wearing tight briefs, taking hot baths etc. That mentality kind of makes me twitchy, as I wonder whether it could result in a damaged sperm fertilising the egg (leading, maybe, to miscarriage or birth defects or whatever). Possibly damaged sperm wouldn't be able to do the job, so it may not be an issue, but... I dunno. Makes me cringe to think of deliberately killing off sperm, somehow.

If you decide to go any of the natural(ish) routes, you should know it might take a while to conceive. Timing sex to 3-4 days before ovulation is HARD; and that plus all the other things I've mentioned could well lead to killing all the sperm in a cycle and/or reducing your DH's fertility, leading to no conception at all. Trying to conceive a girl is just more tricky than trying for a boy.

Then there are the high-tech methods, but they're expensive and, for a lot of people, morally problematic. That book certainly doesn't advocate "natural" anything, judging by the product description.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I <3 TCOYF!

I forgot about that chapter, thanks! I read the book after checking it out from the library, now I need to buy it

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page