Did Mirena IUD case my PPH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After the birth of DD1, I had a Mirena IUD put in. I didn't have a cycle on it. When we decided to TTC, I had it out, and according to ultrasound dates, got pregnant four days later. It was a difficult pregnancy with lots of bleeding and spotting. After the birth of my daughter, I started bleeding badly as the placenta detached. I lost about three liters of blood and needed a transfusion. My MW thinks that the mirena caused a very thin uterine wall, therefore as the placenta formed it might have burrowed into the muscle rather than just into the lining, causing excessive bleeding (and great pain) when the placenta detached. Is this possible? Is PPH an issue for women who conceive shortly after having a hormonal IUD removed?

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#2 of 2 Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any personal experience but I think anytime you have artificial hormones being pumped into your womb, there is always a chance of complications, pregnant or not. I'm sorry you went through such a horrific experience!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page