Why Do So Many Only Insert Mirena instead of Pargard - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just gave birth to baby #4 a few weeks ago, and am hoping to get an IUD at my 6 weeks PP check (well it will probably be 8 weeks as they do some tests at 6 weeks).

I'm leaning towards the Paragard--because I haven't done well with hormones--but pretty much every OB and CNM I've contacted offers only the Mirena. Paragard is only available through Planned Parenthood. Unfortunately, if I go through PP, my insurance doesn't cover it--but will cover it (save $55) if I go through an in-network provider.

Is there a reason why? Is the Mirena easier to insert or does it give them more revenue or something?

Just curious.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM

For me, I had chosen Mirena over Paraguard because I knew I'd be having another baby in 5 years or less. When my midwife told me about both, she explained mostly older people who were done having babies chose Paraguard b/c it's good for (I think) 10 years or 12 years. I knew one way or another I'd be using the IUD for only a few years.

I only had mine in for 18 months. I hated the Mirena (b/c of the hormones, the strings, the "feeling", the spotting, the fact that I was still ovulating, etc). If I ever go the IUD route again (which I won't) I'd choose the Paraguard.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM

I have been trying to figure that out myself.

I have to go with PP if I want the para too....NO doctors here even want to stick one in a woman who has never birthed before, let alone a copper one.
In my area there is only like....a handful of docs here who will stick one in me but they only do the hormonal one.

I wish you many lucks in your hunt to find someone to do it for you.

I never got one....the PP nurse/doctors made me feel tense....quite tense. The ones at my nearby clinic were at least...that doesn't go to them all, I am sure there are great PP docs that are super kind and understanding and not cold.

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu
#4 of 14 Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 PM

I had a paragard for a couple years and loved it. I was not interested in a mirena at all - I didn't want the hormones. My OB offered both.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#5 of 14 Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM

I don't have an answer as to why providers would only offer Mirena. That seems kinda weird. I wasn't sure anyone would be willing to give me one since I've never had children but it wasn't an issue. I got mine from my family doctor, so maybe you could try calling some family practices and see if thats a service they offer.

Also maybe you could post in your local area tribe and see if anyone in your town has someone to recommend to you. Good luck! I had the copper one and I was pretty happy with it.

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
#6 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

So, I met with CNM yesterday for my PP check and IUD consultation.

We talked about the pros and cons...and for her, she's seen too many people have the Paragard removed due to the very heavy bleeding and cramping vs. removals she's had to do with the Mirena for problems/issues. She also says that with most post-partum women, she can insert the Mirena without needing a tenaculum--which makes it an easy, 30 second relatively comfortable procedure. If you need the tenaculum, it's much more uncomfortable.

I'm going to try the Mirena in 2 weeks. We'll see.

#7 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Maybe it cost more? i didn't want the mirena because I didn't want to chance having a neg reaction to the hormones. i got my last IUD in 2005 and I had to wait because they ordered the mirena when I wanted the paragard. iUDs are easily removed so to me getting the Paragard made sense because it did last longer in case i didn't want to TTC again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 PM

They should be able to order a Paragard for you, even if they don't normally have them on hand. I'm on my second Paragard and I love it. I'll go for a third one if we have another baby.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#9 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
We talked about the pros and cons...and for her, she's seen too many people have the Paragard removed due to the very heavy bleeding and cramping vs. removals she's had to do with the Mirena for problems/issues. She also says that with most post-partum women, she can insert the Mirena without needing a tenaculum--which makes it an easy, 30 second relatively comfortable procedure. If you need the tenaculum, it's much more uncomfortable.
Odd, that's exactly the opposite of what my doctor said. Mine told me that she takes out twice as many Mirena just a couple months after insertion because the side effects can be so bad.

I've never had a vaginal birth, contraction, or even dilated at all. She was actually worried that I was so tightly shut that she wouldn't even be able to insert an IUD. I had to have the tenaculum and it wasn't bad. I wouldn't say it was any more uncomfortable than having a Pap. My doc did make a comment about how well I took it, so maybe I was just really lucky.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#10 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
So, I met with CNM yesterday for my PP check and IUD consultation.

I'm going to try the Mirena in 2 weeks. We'll see.
Are you sure? If you don't do well with hormones, that's a pretty long-term dose of hormones.
Some women with paraguard get bad cramps and bleeding, others don't. I actually found that my cramps got lighter after I got my IUD. My GYN didn't have one on hand, but they were able to order one easily in time for my appointment.
But anyway, I would be really hesitant to get a mirena if you know your body doesn't do well with hormones.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#11 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM

With my Ob, I have to order the Paragard and have it delivered to my ObGyn, but my ObGyn will insert it.

Carma
#12 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Are you sure? If you don't do well with hormones, that's a pretty long-term dose of hormones.
Some women with paraguard get bad cramps and bleeding, others don't. I actually found that my cramps got lighter after I got my IUD. My GYN didn't have one on hand, but they were able to order one easily in time for my appointment.
But anyway, I would be really hesitant to get a mirena if you know your body doesn't do well with hormones.
I already have heavy periods, but I don't want hormones and we are not ready to have DH be snipped. Good to read that you have good experience with Paragard.

Quote:
I only had mine in for 18 months. I hated the Mirena (b/c of the hormones, the strings, the "feeling", the spotting, the fact that I was still ovulating, etc). If I ever go the IUD route again (which I won't) I'd choose the Paraguard.
Isn't it the case that you ovulate with paragard (no hormones). And the Mirena stops your ovulation?

Carma
#13 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had it inserted today. I was completely shocked at how quick and painless insertion was. I had read so many horror stories. I took 800 mg ibuprofin about an hour before and that was it. Longest part was inserting the speculum which was no different than any normal pap. Felt a small (barely noticeable) cramp once it was in... that's it. Wow.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the hormones don't bug me. Paraguard probably isn't a viable option for me even if this doesn't work due to the fact that it contains nickel. I have a nickel allergy.

#14 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 AM

I just took my Mirena out because of the side effects I was having; side effects that are apparently listed in the prescribers section of the info pamphlet that they don't bother to tell women but so many women experience them. Google "mirena iud side effects"...it's pretty suprising to read accounts from hundreds of women who starting experincing the same side effects after they had their Mirenas inserted, but no one (in the medical field) will own up to the fact that these side effects are being caused by mirena. It was literally making my life hell and I thought I was going crazy until I stumbled on one of those websites.

I'm not saying this to scare you, more to give you a heads up. Some women have absolutely no issues with Mirena and it's the perfect birth control for them. Some can have it for a few years before the side effects start showing up. Just please be aware of the side effects so if they start affecting you you can deal with the problem sooner rather than later.

Um, sorry that doesn't answer your original question. It seems odd to me that more drs. try to push the Mirena over the Paraguard. I think the Mirena is cheaper than the Paraguard so that might be a big factor.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page