Microscope to Check Saliva/CM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About 8 or so years ago, I purchased this little hand held microscope type thing that allowed you to check your salive (or CM) to see if you were fertile. Basically, you put a sample on one end, and then you held it up to the light or there may have even been a little battery powered light. From what I remember, the key was looking for "fern" shapes. I got pregnant the first month after I bought it... and then it got lost in moving. I never really used it long enough to see if it worked... but I'm interested in getting another one. I think I bought it through Gaiam (although they had a different name back then) or some other such catalog. I want to say it was in the $40-60 range.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? What are the Brand names?

Do they work or has this theory been debunked?

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey!
Ok - so I have done a crazy amount of research on all things fertility related (I'm Catholic, so unless I want to have 20 kids, I might want to figure out how to do these things )

I do believe that they would work - however - there is of course a lot of room for user error/ user interpretation.

The three things I would suggest doing is
1. just google it! You would be surprised at the amount of information you find
2. If you can find a REAL microscope for about the same price (I think for 40-60 bucks you could get a pretty good one) it would work better. PLUS you could keep a slide of the last 5-7 days so you have something to compare it to and see the progression of ferns.
3. If you can stomach it - use your cervical mucus instead! It will be a much better indicator AND I have heard that it ferns so much easier and is easier to test (once again, just research, never done it myself).

HTH!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page