?? for nuvaring users - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO I decided to give hormonal bc a try and went for the nuvaring. THe day of my gyno appt coincided with my first pp AF. This was Tuesday Oct 12th. I put the ring in that day. Today is Oct 23 and I STILL have AF. I called the gyno but she is out until Nov 1.

Is this normal or should I be really worried? The ring is still in. I didn't know if I should tak it out or not.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 PM

I don't know if it's normal, but the same thing happened to me. It put it in with my 3rd PP AF (which was about 6 month PP) and I bled for the full three weeks I had it in and almost the full week after I took it out. I got a Mirena IUD after that.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

At least I know it happened to someone else. Did your gvno or midwife say anything about it?

#4 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM

My best friend and I both had this happen. The first two months I used Nuvaring, AF lasted twelve days(my usual is 5). After that though, it dropped to 3-4 days of very, very light flow and spotting. I never had to use more than a panty liner. So, I think it is probably normal.
#5 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM

That happend to me when I was on it, but then after a couple cycles I stopped having periods at all

I have/had endo so my gyno told me to just leave it in that fourth week (instead of taking it out to bleed and then put in a new one) and after a couple cycles I stopped having a period which was great because they were so painful for me.

I loved the nuva ring and after this baby is born I will def go back on it for a while unless DH gets the big V but we won't be ready for that discussion until after this baby is born.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I continued to bleed for the entire three weeks I had the ring in and it didn't really taper off much until this past weekend. I took it out so now waiting for AF to return ::eyerool::

I still haven't gotten a hold of my doc but I am much less worried knowing that this isn't some freak side effect that no one has ever heard of =). It would be great if in the end it makes AF less heavy and shorter because they are on avg 7 days, with 3 heavy days. (sorry if tmi)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page