Charting to Avoid / Fertility Awareness - November - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
November 2010
Last Month's Thread

Welcome to the November 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering", and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in October, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in November if you want to be on the December list!

To those who are new, welcome!

Who We Are

angelxxrose (CTA 11 months)
Blueone
capretta (CTA since August 2010; 4 cycles)
ekh

Eresh (currently LAM)

fnpmama 
Guthu
HulaJenn (CTA since May 2009; 21 cycles)
InMediasRes

justKate  (CTA since November 2010) 
K-Mom3
knittinanny

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif 

Maine Mama Doula
marinak1977
miss_honeyb (CTA 22 cycles)
MissE
Mom2SammyJoe

Mummoth 
RaraAvis
(CTA since 2007, except when whatevering)
Smylingeyz

southernmommie (currently LAM) 
Spero11  (Creighton method)
Toolip
TrishWSU BFPChart2.gif (CTA 24 months)

Xerxella (CTA for 3 months)
ZinniaGarden

Graduates

Pregnant!

wholewheatchick - Due in Dec. 2010
OSUvet - Due in Feb. 2011
echospiritwarrior - Due in Feb. 2011
lyterae - Due in Feb. 2011
dex_millie - Due in Feb. 2011
annie2186 - Due in April 2011
katiedidbug - Due in May 2011
BarefootScientist - Due in June 2011
Smokering - Due in June 2011
theboysmama

AnnieA  

shells_n_cheese 

No Longer TTA

Baby_Cakes
jeninejessica

LionessMom 
MovingMomma

Good luck to those now TTC!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry Day Rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak Day Rule: The last day of fertile mucus is called the peak day (the day before your mucus begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucus appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature Shift Rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2° F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1° F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer
Honoring Our Cycles (workbook) by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites

TCOYF (Ovusoft) charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Garden of Fertility author Katie Singer's website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations

AF: Aunt Flo, menses, your period
BBT: basal body temperature
BC: birth control
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: cycle day
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CHs: crosshairs (intersection of coverline and ovulation)
CL: coverline
CM: cervical mucus (same as CF)
CO: cervical opening
CP: cervical position
CTA: charting to avoid
CTW: charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: days past ovulation
DTD: do the dead (sex)
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucus/fluid
FAM: fertility awareness method
FF: Fertility Friend (website, see above)
HBC: hormonal birth control
HTL: high temp level (0.4°F above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)
LAM: lactational amenorrhea method (breastfeeding as birth control)
LP: luteal phase (between ovulation and menses, average 10-16 days)
LTL: low temp level (highest of the 6 temps immediately before temp rise)
NFP: natural family planning
O: ovulation
SHOW: soft, high, open, wet (characteristics of the cervix near ovulation)
SR: seminal residue
TCOYF: Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book and website, see above)
TTA: trying to avoid
TTW: trying to whatever
other common abbreviations

Happy Charting Everyone!
#2 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

So my thermometer finally got here and I'm back to charting again. What's up with everyone else?
#3 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 AM

I'm still waiting for something to happen-preferably AF starting. But a few of the more annoying side effects from the Mirena seem to have gone away, so yay for that. Hopefully my cycles will return to normal soon, too. I see my DH in 23 days so I hope I've got it figured out by then!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM

I'm on day 9 of my first cycle in....21 months?? Trying to get back into the swing of things!

Question for those who chart cervical position: I *just* started charting CP months ago before I got pregnant with DD2, so I'm not that great at it yet. I do know that when it's in the "high" position it's *very* high, so I'm realizing "low" isn't all that low. The "firm" and "soft" I pretty much have down, but it's the "open" and "closed" that are hard for me to figure out. I know after having 5 babies it won't ever be totally closed, but is there a way to distinguish better the openish/closed vs the actually open?? Right now it just always feels open so I'm feeling for firm/soft and high/low mostly. Any tips?? Thanks mamas!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#5 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 AM

miss honeyb- I have found that from right before af until 3 days after o my cervix is slightly open. my first pp af this time it wasn't any more open for o then the rest of phase 1 but this cycle it was slightly more open during ovulation. Just really watch it closely checking several times a day especially right after o. As far as cp i stopped checking that bcs it varied significantly depending on time of day, etc.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM

there must be something in the air... my DH told me last night he wants a boy.

not sure what to think. he had been adamant about not having any more. i told him i was happy about it butmaybe he should wait till tomorrow when he is sober (it was Halloween and he had had a few lol) and then think about it. so ummm, i am still CTA but i might move to whatevering in a couple of months.....

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#7 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I am still here!

been one hell of a last month, totally forgot temps and period should be coming soon. yay

Birthday is also this month

YAYYAYAYYAYYY!!!!!

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu
#8 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

miss_honeyb: Cervical openness is the hardest sign for me to gauge too. I've never been pregnant, so I imagine the landscape is significantly different, but for me it's all about how much resistance I meet when I put my finger on the "dimple".

LionessMom: Well how about that!
#9 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM

wierd cycle going on for me. Had EWCM early but no temp shift yet. my CM feels like post-O stuff (dry or sticky) so maybe I just haev no abundant EWCM this month. i am def not gonna presume I am safe yet!

And honeyb I have never been a fan of charting CP. Depending on the time of day the position can change and I think shoving fingers in and poking around pose a big infection risk. If you are okay with temps and CM I think CP isn't really necessary (just my opinion! LOL)

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#10 of 156 Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Hey everyone! Newbie here!

I am a SAHM of 2 kids (1 and 3 yrs old) and CTA for now. DH and I agreed to start thinking about TTC #3 this coming spring, depending on a few things like finances, school (I start in January *gulp*), possible relocation, etc etc.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
#11 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 04:15 AM

CP has been weird fir me too. Yesterday it was low and firm but felt like it was open so I'm just going off the low/firm part and not paying too much attention to the open part.

My CM yesterday has me a bit confused. There was a lot but it was watery-not sticky or creamy or anything close to EW, just really watery. Is that considered fertile?

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#12 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the CP help ladies. Seems like I'm not going to stress about charting it too much.

So...daylight savings is coming up....does anyone adjust the time the take their temps to ease into that? Just wondering. I don't think I've ever charted over DLS before.

Trish, I had one day right after AF stopped where I had watery too. Nothing creamy or EW, just *watery*. I think it certainly should be considered fertile if you're really TTA. But I've had several dry days since then so following the Dry Day Rule I've been safe the last few evenings.

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#13 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Lioness Mom - DH did the same thing to me a few weeks ago. Out of the blue, maybe we should start trying sooner... It feels good. We'll start trying in December.

Shells and Cheese - Welcome!!!

Me - Well if I could just O, than at least the cycles would pass faster and I could get to the cycle where we would start trying. if I don't O today (day 19) it will be the latest I'd ever O'd. In order to get my fertility back I started taking Folic Acid and a fertility blend. I wonder if it's having the opposite effect.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21b89c

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#14 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

miss_honeyb: We (Italy) just did the time change last weekend. Funny I didn't even think about it and my temp after "sleeping in" another hour was 3/10° lower. I think TCOYF corrects +1/10° for every 20 minutes later, so it should have been 3/10° higher. Maybe I got less sleep because of the Halloween party downstairs. At any rate, I think it's probably too small an effect to worry much about.

All: I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing... how old are you and how long have you been CTA? I'm 34 and charting my 4th cycle. I feel like I've come to this a bit late and am amazed at what I didn't know about my own body, especially since I'm generally very curious about all things health/medical! I think it's because HBC was always such a ready and easy option - until it wasn't.
#15 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post
All: I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing... how old are you and how long have you been CTA?
I'm 29 and have been charting since 2007 (except when I was "whatevering" got pregnant with our two dear babies )

I've been charting for 16 months since DS! It is so neat that it works if you work it!

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#16 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

I am 34 and have been cta for just under 2 years.

#17 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 PM

im 34. i just started CTA about 3 months ago, i think.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#18 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM

I am 28 and CTA for 9 months before TTC our daughter (conceived the first month trying). I started charting again once my cycle started 6 months postpartum. DD is 8 months old now and we will be CTA for several months before we TTC again.

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#19 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 PM

I am 30, and I started to chart back in 2007, but I was TTC at that time. I started CTA in Aug. 2009, so I've been CTA for about 15 months.

#20 of 156 Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Do any of you still take your temps every morning when CTA? I used to religiously take my temps when I was charting but TTC. I stopped when I started CTA. I just recently started taking temps again this cycle though, because I am finding charting CP and CM doesn't make it as clear to me as temping used to. This cycle I am on right now is confusing the heck out of me (may have something to do with the dental surgery I had right around my usual O time--which also has me a little nervous about our timing this cycle...).

#21 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 AM

I don't take my temp every day during my cycle. I temp once I have fertile cm through CD 1. I like seeing the temp shift for ovulation so I know when it is safe to have sex without protection.

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#22 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 AM

I'm 28 and I've CTA for about 2 years total (18 months then another 6 month stretch.) I used charting to conceive both of my surro kiddos, too. I'm in my first week post Mirena of charting and trying to figure out what's going on with me. I don't have to worry about the avoiding part right now though-I'm in Iraq and my DH is in the US. Hopefully I have AF and get things figured out by the 23rd when I go on R&R!

I'm not temping right now because I don't have a thermometer (I have 3 in my storage unit back home so I'm not buying another one!) For the 18 month stretch I CTA I only used CP/CM and it was really obvious when I was fertile.

#23 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:

All: I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing... how old are you and how long have you been CTA? I'm 34 and charting my 4th cycle. I feel like I've come to this a bit late and am amazed at what I didn't know about my own body, especially since I'm generally very curious about all things health/medical! I think it's because HBC was always such a ready and easy option - until it wasn't.
I am 31 and this is my first PP cycle since dd2 was born a year ago. However, I first started CTA in December 2003 when DH and I got married.

Out of curiosity I made a little "chart of my charts" to figure out how much I've charted since then. Here's the rundown, if you're really bored and care at all.

2003: 1 cycle charted (December)
2004: 11 cycles (Pregnant 11/04)
2005: 2 cycles (Pregnant again 10/05)
2006: no cycles
2007: 5 cycles (pregnant 5/07)
2008: 1 cycle
2009: 1 cycle (pregnant 1/10)
2010: first cycle in November, so probably will have 2 full cycles this year

So....I've been charting for about 7 years but really don't have that many charts to show for it!!

#24 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells_n_cheese View Post
Do any of you still take your temps every morning when CTA?
I mostly do, although I don't stress if I miss -- it's just habit. I have a Lady Comp so it stores all the temps and I just chart them when I'm looking for a temp shift. Sometimes I'm surprised to see days that I've temped, since I don't remember doing it!

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#25 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM

I think I am 5 DPO today--but due to this weird cycle, I am not really sure.

There is a small part of me that is wondering if I really O'd on CD18. I really thought I O'd on CD17 (a liitle earlier than usual), because I had the usual mittelschmerz and tons of EWCM... but then on CD18, my cervix was still SHOW, and had a little EWCM, but no mittel. I usually have mittelschmerz the day of O, not before. But it's weird for me to have my cervix SHOW until almost 48 hrs later, my cervix usually closes and lowers within 24 hrs after O. I also had oral surgery on CD18--so maybe there is a possibility I even O'd on CD19. Ugghh. So confusing. Hence why I am starting to chart my temps again.

Here is my chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c1d14

Also, we DTD without withdrawing (we use the pull-out method) on CD13, because I assumed that I would O the earliest on CD 18 (which I know would put me in a 5 day window, which still carries a slight possibility if pregnancy, but I rarely O on CD18 anyway). But then I think I may have O'd on CD17, so that would be a 4 day window... and that one day difference has me a little more worried. A pregnancy would always be a blessing and welcomed.... but if I could choose I would rather not be pregnant right now. But I guess it's my fault and I need to be more careful.

#26 of 156 Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post
I mostly do, although I don't stress if I miss -- it's just habit. I have a Lady Comp so it stores all the temps and I just chart them when I'm looking for a temp shift. Sometimes I'm surprised to see days that I've temped, since I don't remember doing it!

oooh where did you get that?

#27 of 156 Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

shells_n_cheese: I'm still pretty new to this, but I prefer to temp every day. I'm one that tends to forget things that don't happen regularly. Plus, it helps me wake up in the morning.

angelxxrose: Welcome [back]! (I’m kind of assuming that anyone who doesn't specifically say she's new got here sometime before me.)

All: Thanks for all the responses.

capretta - 4 cycles
RaraAvis - 3 years, except when whatevering
HulaJenn - just under 2 years
LionessMom - 3 months
angelxxrose - 11 months
shells_n_cheese - 15 months
TrishWSU - 24 months
miss_honeyb - 22 cycles (see, I do care - enough to count 'em up!)

I'm going to put this in the OP, because I think it's nice to know. Of course, if you'd rather not have that info up for any reason, just let me know and I'll remove it.
#28 of 156 Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I started temping agin when I got AF back after DD, so for the last 3 months (ish). Befire that I charted for 2 months while TTC her.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#29 of 156 Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
shells_n_cheese: I'm still pretty new to this, but I prefer to temp every day. I'm one that tends to forget things that don't happen regularly. Plus, it helps me wake up in the morning.

angelxxrose: Welcome [back]! (I’m kind of assuming that anyone who doesn't specifically say she's new got here sometime before me.)

All: Thanks for all the responses.

capretta - 4 cycles
RaraAvis - 3 years, except when whatevering
HulaJenn - just under 2 years
LionessMom - 3 months
angelxxrose - 11 months
shells_n_cheese - 15 months
TrishWSU - 24 months
miss_honeyb - 22 cycles (see, I do care - enough to count 'em up!)

I'm going to put this in the OP, because I think it's nice to know. Of course, if you'd rather not have that info up for any reason, just let me know and I'll remove it.
I think we used to have when we started CTA in the OP a few months ago, but they got lost somewhere along the way! LOL i think it's a great idea.
More accurately I've been CTA since May, 2009 (21 cycles)

#30 of 156 Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

So chalk me up to another having a wierd cycle. The latest I've ever O'd before is cd16. And I usually get pretty good EWCm or at least watery leading up to it. i sometimes get O pain, but don't count on that. Dry up is usually my best indicator as I usually have a slow rise. Anyway....so I had EWCM early this cycle (cd8 and 9) and thought I was gearing to O early (I have O'd cd11 a few times) but no temp shift, and no dry up but no EWCM either. Stayed pretty much creamy until today I have dry up. I had a .1 temp shift so I presuming O yesterday (but not presuming I am safe in teh CTA world of thigns! LOL). Temps should go up from here.
If you have been patient enough to follow all that, i do have an actual question! LOL I have started taking a weight smart multi vitamin (basic multi- with green tea leaves added). Now I thought some women drank green tea to INCREASE fertile CM...how is it that this cycle I have the least amount that I ever have after taking this supplement? Are there other vitamins that can decrease fertile CM?
Here is a link in case anyone wants to have a peek.
My Chart

Tags
Family Planning , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page