Withdrawal method - who's gotten prego doing this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I don't mean "we used withdrawal forever, but this ONE TIME..." I mean, he pulled out and you still got pregnant.

I just got my "fertility" back. GREAT. lol We have always done withdrawal, and I've only ever gotten pregnant when we TRIED. But when you tell someone you use that method, the inevitable stories start. But I just want to know how many got pregnant when he really DID pull out.

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
#2 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 03:52 PM

my friend has a 12 y/o she told me was conceived this way....

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#3 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My ds I conceived while EBF my 3 mo daughter and used withdraw.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

thats how we were blessed with DD....
total surprise!!!!

however, we have used it for the past year because we were in the "oh no more just yet but if it happens it happens" mode and I must say I was disappointed it didn't fail once

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
#5 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM

I heard it was effective as long as the man hadn't finished earlier. As in if there's still sperm in there because he just had "sex" then it's not effective. So he must have obstained for awhile so nothings in the tube sotospeak
#6 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM

btw we though it was effective but turns out I'm infertile so I'm not a good test subject.
#7 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 PM

withdrawal has more rules than just withdrawing. We have used this method for 2 years and been fine. (sorry, i know your poll was for only those that got pg using it LOL) People that do adequate research on the method can use it very effectively.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#8 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
I heard it was effective as long as the man hadn't finished earlier
Yep! I have a 5 year old from that mistake. Otherwise, I personally don't know anyone who got pregnant using withdrawal and I know a few who use it solely for BC.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#9 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM

My DS was conceived on a withdraw, but it was a 2 in one day situation which reduces how effective it is. We have used w/d for many many years (and even had sex in my fertile time every month) with only that one "oops".

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#10 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post
Yep! I have a 5 year old from that mistake. Otherwise, I personally don't know anyone who got pregnant using withdrawal and I know a few who use it solely for BC.
As a former andrologist as well, I can guarantee you this is not the case. Only use w/d if you're accepting of the "consequences".

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
As a former andrologist as well, I can guarantee you this is not the case. Only use w/d if you're accepting of the "consequences".
please elaborate (with diagrams if possible! LOL) then for those of us that read up on the subject and feel confident in its effectiveness.
I've been using it 2 years - during fertile times and all. DH is very efficient at early withdrawal, and if we decide on any round 2's he will pee to "clear the pipes". When we were TTC it only took us 1 month the first time and 3 months the second, so it isn't like we have any fertility problems.
i thought the swimmers being in pre-ejaculent was now being proven inaccurate?

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#12 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM

i did. i was charting as well... i was outside of my "fertile" times, no fertile mucus, etc.

we dtd one time in a 6 mo period- he pulled out and i got pregnant....

ds is 1 months and there will be no dtd and pulling out for us ever again

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#13 of 36 Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 PM

I have a 10 yr old niece who was conceived this way - although, i do not know the real details on that one....I conceived when a condom slipped off - PRIOR to ejaculating...so YES semen exist in the pre-ejaculate!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#14 of 36 Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM

I'm curious too... That's at least 5 first-hand pgs. I'd be interested in links to research, if anyone has any!

#15 of 36 Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM

It totally depends on the man's control and getting out of the vagina before ANYTHING comes out at ALL!!! Meaning, a need to have additional stimulation to ejaculate once he pulls out. That is how my DH does it..uses his hand to finish once hes pulled it out. And, we have not gotten pg from many years of use during many fertile times. I have gotten pg twice with him, both times where he didnt pull out at all, on the first time both times. so i think we are both pretty fertile.

My friend is currently 5 1/2 months pg what she calls her 'pull n pray' baby. She has though told me that her DH did not use additional stimulation to 'finish' once he pulled out. it seems he would wait till the last second and pull out quickly once he started feeling it seep out, which IMO, is to risky, and how W/D fails many couples.

Just my 2 cents. I have wished it would fail me many times, but my DH is just that good with getting it out in time. Shoot, my DH would even pinch it off so to speak, BEFORE pulling it out, even if he got that close and couldnt hold it. Hes had to do that a handful of times in the past. And still no pregnancies from it.
#16 of 36 Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM

we... might have? I dunno, my DD was a surprise and there's a couple times that it could have happened... once was "outercourse" and once was a pull-out situation so either way it's weird.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#17 of 36 Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Oo! Me! My beautiful DD was conceived when we DTD FIVE days before I ovulated, with a pull out situation. This girl was determined to exist.
#18 of 36 Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Me, but we broke rule #1 of withdrawal, which is that you can't use it twice back to back. It only is effective for the first go-round.
Now I have an IUD. I feel a bit safer this way.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#19 of 36 Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyin2008 View Post
It totally depends on the man's control and getting out of the vagina before ANYTHING comes out at ALL!!! Meaning, a need to have additional stimulation to ejaculate once he pulls out. That is how my DH does it..uses his hand to finish once hes pulled it out. And, we have not gotten pg from many years of use during many fertile times. I have gotten pg twice with him, both times where he didnt pull out at all, on the first time both times. so i think we are both pretty fertile.

My friend is currently 5 1/2 months pg what she calls her 'pull n pray' baby. She has though told me that her DH did not use additional stimulation to 'finish' once he pulled out. it seems he would wait till the last second and pull out quickly once he started feeling it seep out, which IMO, is to risky, and how W/D fails many couples.

Just my 2 cents. I have wished it would fail me many times, but my DH is just that good with getting it out in time. Shoot, my DH would even pinch it off so to speak, BEFORE pulling it out, even if he got that close and couldnt hold it. Hes had to do that a handful of times in the past. And still no pregnancies from it.
I agree completely with this. The man should pull out long before he's going to finish. We've used pull out for 5 years and our kids are completely planned.

But I also think that whenever you have intercourse, you have to be accepting of the "consequences." No birth control is 100%.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#20 of 36 Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM

We did w/d for 4 years before deciding to get preggo, so it was pretty effective for us. We were open to the possibility of an oops though. Now that we are very sure we couldn't handle another one (or two) right now, we are using the mirena AND pull out.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#21 of 36 Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm pregnant with a baby conceived with the pull and pray. My DP has awesome self control but nothing is 100%.  

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#22 of 36 Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Not here.  This method along with charting to avoid has been adequate b.c

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#23 of 36 Old 11-13-2010, 10:47 PM

We have always used the pull-out method ( 10 years) and no accidents!

We've only had the one planned pregnancy and got pregnant the first round.

Like PPs we also don't have "second rounds" AND he pulls out early enough that he needs a stroke or two of external stimulation.

That being said, my DH has a child from a previous relationship that was conceived using withdraw - although he readily admits he was drunk that night and was pretty sure (even at the time) that he didn't get out early enough.

ETA:    Here's a question.

Do different men have different rates of pre-ejaculate. Do some have a lot and some have next to none? Is it even variable enough that pre-ejaculate quantities depend on excitement? And could that help explain the differing rates of conception with this method? I could google this answer, but I am feeling lazy right now smile.gif  just throwing it out there.

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#24 of 36 Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM

I just came to this board to pretty much ask the same question.  I want to have my iud removed, but we aren't sure if we want to do anything permanent yet.  I'm 98% sure that I don't want anymore.  I used withdrawl for probably 15 years and only got pregnant the 4 times we tried.  After seeing so many first hand pregnancies, I'm not sure what to do. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#25 of 36 Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessnet View Post

ETA:    Here's a question.

Do different men have different rates of pre-ejaculate. Do some have a lot and some have next to none? Is it even variable enough that pre-ejaculate quantities depend on excitement? And could that help explain the differing rates of conception with this method? I could google this answer, but I am feeling lazy right now smile.gif  just throwing it out there.

Yes, yes, yes and I don't think so - sperm play a fairly active role orngtongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyland View Post

I just came to this board to pretty much ask the same question.  I want to have my iud removed, but we aren't sure if we want to do anything permanent yet.  I'm 98% sure that I don't want anymore.  I used withdrawl for probably 15 years and only got pregnant the 4 times we tried.  After seeing so many first hand pregnancies, I'm not sure what to do. 

I would personally not rely on this method if I were 98%. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#26 of 36 Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 AM

Me

#27 of 36 Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 AM

that's how I got pregnant with our first.  Had worked for about 5 years without a problem before that tho.

#28 of 36 Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM

This method was effective for me and my now-husband for YEARS.  We eventually got pregnant the traditional, sort of newly-wed "if it happens, excellent, if not, no problem" way.  With that said, I would absolutely NOT use the pull-out method if getting pregnant would be a disaster...that's just me, though!  To each her own, as they say...  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#29 of 36 Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 AM

I'm pregnant with a baby conceived with the pull and pray too.

Angelika
Lena: 06/21/2010, Maria: 12/24/2011
Felix: 01/01/2013
EDD:09/12/2014
#30 of 36 Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenasmama View Post

I'm pregnant with a baby conceived with the pull and pray too.

My second was conceived this way.  Pre-ejaculate did it!!!  And... I was 4 days before ovulation.

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page