November Whatever Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shannon ~ I haven't heard that she is working again. We could certainly ask, though. You're only about a week behind me. I have gone a day or two past my EDD every time so things might get tricky. I have been considering a UC, though.

May I suggest New Choice ($ Tree)? You can get them at the commissary for only 99 cents. That's the one I got the BFP on the day before the others. It was so light, though, that I did think it was an evap and threw it out. However, if I had had other tests to back it up, I would have believed it more. Of course, once you pay the commissary service fee and the extra gas to drive on the base, you might as well have stopped at the $ Tree instead. The commissary does have the ept digis for a lot less than in town. I got a BFP with one of those with less than 10 mIU hCG so they can be extremely sensitive.

My ICs are very dark now, almost as dark as the control lines. I wish there were a way to know hCG levels to get a test line the same as the control.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#302 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 AM

JJ -  I was an english major.  Don't worry about your intro right now.  Put your facts together and see where it goes -- what trends you come up with, etc -- and write your thesis last.  Works every single time.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#303 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:15 AM

MW: Thanks for the recommendations!  I'm going to be headed over to Western today so I'll probably hit up $ Tree.  My other friend was having a similar problem with the same IC I'm using, and she said the Walgreen's ept knockoff gave her clearer results at the same time so I might get those, too.  AND she talked w/the MWs already (yesterday) and they told her she was the first Aug. due date and their official policy is 4/month, but they've taken up to 7 and they've never turned anyone down.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#304 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 AM

Shannon - yay! I love digi's but you don't see lines getting darker on those unless you take them apart.

Yay on seeing the heartbeat, that is grand news, that!

all this really makes me want to have a baby, like, now! though if I go by FF, I still have 2 weeks until I O. ugh. I haven't temped the last couple days, I may pick up back again when I start feeling like I am getting ready to O, my CF is still the same, no changes there. I hate waiting.

Good luck with the paper. If you did the US, I would think it might work if you broke it up into regional cultures, we are too much of a melting pot to do a whole. I actually miss writing papers. go figure.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#305 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 AM

?i=4096062&

As much as it sucks not having 100% positive proof that I o'd, I'm feeling fairly confident that I did.  I have my chart set on opk which gives me that line and dpo count.  I figure if I still have VIP, I might as well use it and get my money's worth! LOL!

I'm starting to get teary at little things, and a bit moody/irritable.  Could be the stress of the holidays as well as just being in my lp.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#306 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 07:43 AM

Yay for O Baby_Cakes!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#307 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ Woot! Woot!

Shannon ~ That's good to know about the monthly limits. I kind of figured they probably wouldn't turn anyone away since they are the only game in town. I assume she has a backup for emergencies, too. I'm not sure which month I should go in, July or August. My 40w EDD based on O is July 30 but since I've always gone a day or two past my EDD, I'm expecting this baby in August. By my lmp (which I know is not correct), my EDD would be a week earlier. I don't know which the MW is more likely to use. She whipped out her pregnancy wheel when I saw her in August. She'll probably put me in July for now.

I think at this point any test is worth trying. All of them that I have seen say they can be used at least 5 days before missed AF. The Walgreen's digis say, "compare to ept." Probably the same test in a different box.

katrina ~ I don't know about the melting pot of the US. There is still a patriarchical attitude toward childbirth and recovery. The community at large doesn't lend much support to women who have just had babies. Once you are sent home from the hospital you are pretty much on your own. We give women only the minimum time required to physically recover from childbirth before expecting them to get back to work, which means leaving their babies and disrupting breastfeeding. We support separation of babies and children from their parents as early as possible rather than supporting the need for babies and children to be physically with their parents, especially Mom. I think all of that contributes to PPD. Then when a woman complains of PPD we just throw meds at her, again completely ignoring the dynamics of the mother/child relationship. I can't really think of anything in our culture that works to prevent PPD.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#308 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM

I was also just reading something, I can't recall where (was it in mothering??) that one of the first things doctors say to women with ppd is to wean.  Unfortunately, most of the time the nursing mother who has ppd feels like the only thing she is "good for" is nursing, and when this is taken from her she really feels worthless.  It's so horrible that drs don't understand this dynamic and work with the mom to help her get better.

#309 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, Carrie! I had not heard that. That is really messed up. I wish more women would learn more about themselves and how pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding work so they wouldn't be so easily influenced by such advice.

#310 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 PM

MW- you hit the nail on the head with there not being much in the US (or canada) that really prevents ppd. There isn't really any siginificant difference in the postpartum treatment within the two countries.  All of our practices contribute to it. That's basically what my essay is saying. Then I'm using cultural norms in Chinese culture and Guatelmalan to talk about how other societies without even purposefully doing it, have practices in place which decrease the risk factors the mom experiences. I just I just got all jumbled up because some of the research actually says the other way-- that the cultural practices in these groups might -lead- to ppd, because of the seclusion etc. I'm choosing to ignore that for now. lol

I finally somewhat got my act together last night, and as of right now, this is the starting of my essay, I'm just trying to decide if it's not "introduction" enough. My actual thesis won't be until the third paragraph.

Quote:

Upon diagnosis of postpartum depression the American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists suggests several changes to daily life; get plenty of rest, ask for help from family and friends, take special care of yourself, and tell someone how you feel. These simple changes are achievable, often cost free, and would seem common place. Unfortunately this experience is not the norm for the average woman in Canada.

Regardless of a joyous or traumatic childbirth experience, new mothers in Canada are sent home forty eight to seventy two hours following the birth of their child. Within a few hours, relatives and friends flood the house, an occasion which the new exhausted mother is often expected to ‘host’, clean up after, and appear alert and recovered for. In the next few days her partner returns to work, family returns home, and a sleep deprived, weak and hormonally imbalanced woman is left to fend for herself in uncharted territory. Welcome to motherhood.

It's funny that you mention breastfeeding too, because it seems to be one of the ONLY concrete practices that leads to decreased rates of ppd... yet we live in a society where you can't say that for fear of someone getting upset and feeling guilty. I haven't written the paragraph on it yet, I'm kind of putting it off.  

Ps. MW- I'm having a heck of a time trying to type underneath the quote box as well. Everytime I hit enter, it throws me back up to the top. Jerks. The only thing I've found that fixes it, is clicking ctrl enter, instead of just enter.

As for actual thread related news: Man it seems liek you guys are hopping this month. We could have no thread left at the end. Carrie- nice looking chart! I started getting super grouchy yesterday too. I had this whole day of exciting shopping planned, and DH came with me, and then he was in such a bad mood that he ruined it all, I ended up asking him to take me home and now I have to go again today. I'm still quite angry that he ruined my evening, especially when I don't have a ton of free time this week!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#311 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM

JJ - I'm not going to bother with the quotes.

I think your intro is sufficient to lead in, and I've often found with papers that once I get that first paragraph down and write the rest of the paper that I can go back and make it more direct if needed. I would be interested to read once you've finished if you're sharing, I suffered PPD with my daughter, this time I am planning on doing placenta encapsulation to help with the hormonal imbalances and hopefully make it through without going crazy.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#312 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Babycakes- we are on the same exact cycle (again, I think). I'm 2 dpo too! :) 

JJ- looks good to me. There are some punctuation and grammar mishaps. I wouldn't mind helping you edit them if you want help. 

Annie- YAY!!!!!! heartbeat.gif So happy your baby is growing as expected!!! 

MW- Yay for dark lines!!!! thumb.gif

Do you guys ever have months where you are so grumpy with DH that you almost wish you wouldn't be pregnant. That's how I feel today! Arrrgh! I feel guilty for feeling that way but I'm irked!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#313 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ That looks really good so far. American women are treated essentially the same way as Canadian women. I've never understood the whole idea of having to be a host when people come over. I think I missed the whole class on etiquette because I fully expect to lay on the couch while everyone else waits on me and the baby. I have been told by most other women, though, that they feel like they should be the host at such times. A good example is a homebirth. A lot of women want very few people at their homebirths because they'd be too worried about making sure those other people are comfortable. I never would have thought of that.

I was wondering about other cultures that isolate new mothers. They don't completely isolate them, though, do they? They are just isolated from men, right? They still have other women, sisters, mothers, grandmothers, around to help them.

Kinder ~ I get annoyed with my dh like that sometimes. I'll wonder what I was ever thinking wanting another baby with him. It passes eventually.

#314 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM

It happened just this cycle with dh. I was at a point where I didn't even want to be in the same room with him, and was really questioning if we could parent two children together. He is very distracted by the computer. He is always on his phone. I do all of the work around the house and with dd, and often have to ask him to get off and hang out with us. I find him shouting at dd and it's usually bc he's on his phone not paying attn to her and so she did something to get his attn. His only job with her is bath time, amd I try to be hands off and let him figure it out. But he sits in his phone and wonders why she splashes water out of the tub or freaks out!

Anyway the point is that these are issues we need to work on, period. It isnt going to change right now or in two weeks, so might as well enjoy what we can and address these things in the meantime. Not dtd bc of being po'd about bath time is silly, imo.

Idk if any of this makes sense but I guess I'm just trying to say I hear you!

#315 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM

The ones I'm looking at only isolate them from visitors- so like whoever already lives in the home, plus likely her mother or mil are the only people she sees for the first little bit. As the month progresses, visitors are allowed, but in small amounts- now what we get here where every distant relative wants to stop by and hold the baby.

The essay definately needs editing. I was reading through and theres places where I realize I didn't even use the right word. But for now, I'm just going through and getting the word vomit onto page, and then I'll edit and formalize it a bit more later.

I told DH that when we have our homebirth (fingers crossed) we're putting one of those notices on the door about no visitors until we say so. I'll takes zillions of pictures, but I'd rather just be -alone- for the first few days/weeks.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#316 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the same way. I don't want visitors those first few days, either. I have my mom to help me out and that's it, oh, and dh if he's around. I don't have a problem being rude, though. Hehe Another thing that drives me nuts is the notion that people need to get out with their new baby asap. I am always surprised to see a mom or couple out with a tiny, newborn just hanging out at the mall. Those first two weeks, at least, with my new baby I don't want to go anywhere.

Carrie ~ Those little things can be so infuriating. The other day my dh had the day off on a TKD class night. I asked him to take the boys by himself since I have to take them every night because dh is usually not available. He doesn't even usually get out of work before we're done at class. I thought I could climb in bed and relax while dh got them ready and on the way. OMG! DH trying to get them ready was insane. I had to do everything for him. He was getting mad because 3yo ds wasn't dressed. Well, you can't just stand in the middle of the room and tell a 3yo to get dressed, especially when you're interrupting his play. You need to actually help him. Oh, and what about snacks and water? They're going to be there for 2 hours. They need supplies.

#317 of 429 Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Worst was the day of my last homebirth. My SIL shows up and starts going through all the bins of clothing in our storage and separated it all out. She called me downstairs to overlook was she was planning on taking and I had a nursing baby in arms and was bleeding like crazy. To her credit, she did make dinner later on! ;) Oh! This was after my in-laws showed up and conveniently got lost with my DSS (even though they were "following" behind our babysitter who was helping out during the homebirth---they had taken the kids out for a bit because my labor stalled). MIL didn't agree with my (at the time) 3yo DSS witnessing his sister's birth so she "got lost". I still kinda have a grudge about it--she was always very over-protective of him back then! Next day, life was back to normal. I was at the dentist with massive gum bleeding and severe pain and then came home and started cooking and tidying. DH said last week we're getting us full-time help in the beginning this time around! I'm all for it!

Glad I'm not alone about my feelings towards DH while we're "whatevering"!! 

#318 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, kinder! That's messed up. I would have told my SIL to get out of my stuff. Now is not the time. I would be fuming at my MIL if she had done something like that. Sneaky deception, not her place to make that kind of decision. I don't have to deal with family like that, though. My family doesn't get into each other's business like that and my ILs are distant.

#319 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM

My lines are ever so gradually getting darker and darker.  They're still super light.  DH sees them too, but he's not convinced that I'm pregnant?  The lines are still super hard to see on camera, and the last IC has an error before the line, but it showed a line at 10 mins and developed the error later.

hpt progression through 11 dpo

Oh, and here's my chart...I suppose I could only be 10 dpo.  I do have a nice little temp upswing yesterday and today.  Oh, and they need a question mark for the hpt field!

FF 11 dpo

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#320 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Shannon ~ Congratulations! I can definitely see the lines on both DTs and on the first 9dpo and the 10-11dpo ICs. I would say you are pg! Men are so silly about that sort of thing. That's something my dh would do, see a very faint line and say he's not convinced. Even with a test that says, "pregnant," he's not convinced until I get confirmation from a doc. eyesroll.gif

#321 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM

Shannon! I definitely see those lines and your chart looks right on! Take an EPT digi because apparently they are super sensitive!

#322 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM

I see lines on most if not all of those!  You are indeed pregnant my dear!! Congratulations and I sure hope to be joining you sooooooon!! banana.gif

#323 of 429 Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Shannon, those DT test lines are plenty dark! I'd go ahead and call it on FF if I were you. 

CONGRATS!love.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#324 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Omg. I'm still a huge antsy mess! I guess temping wasn't the problem, it's just everything! The wondering, the hoping.

I do feel a little less stressed, but I guess it's just going to be that way until I know either way if I'm pg or not. How am I going to turn my mind off for the next week and a half??

#325 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 AM

Baby_Cakes: Sorry you're so stressed out. I do remember thinking during a couple of cycles that it was so easy the first time I got pg. I had NO CLUE that there was even a chance that I could have gotten pg so all of a sudden, I was 12 DPO and able to test! These cycles where there was a chance, the days dragged on forever.

#326 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 AM

I know, i'll live!! I just want to know.

I was also confused a bit bc my cp wasn't as low and firm as I'd like, and I had some cm that was questionable after I was pretty sure o was done. Kind of annoyed I didn't temp. I'm definitely going to next month!

#327 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm 4-maybe 5dpo today and I'm feel feverish. Anyone know how the basal thermometer compares to a regular one? I can't seem to find a way to convert the temp I get from my BBT. Our regular thermometer's battery is dead. Could this be related to implantation? My temp spiked this morning from 97.7 to 98.4 (after 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep---dd peed our bed last night so I was up around 4 am). I didn't believe it so I went back to sleep and took my temp again after tossing and turning for over an hour and it was 97.99. I don't know which one to record. Either way I feel feverish. Too early for anything but a sign of an impending flu?

#328 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Id go with the first temp, bc of that block of sleep, short as it was. Besides, if you're post o it won't really affect anything. I'm so sorry you're feeling flu like though! That's not cool.

We are cycle buddies though, definitely!

#329 of 429 Old 11-26-2010, 04:01 PM

So, a 5 hour long low-grade fever of 99.2-.99.3....so weird. It could have something to do with TTC but I also worry about Lyme. Ugh! I hope I don't have Lyme. I haven't had a fever of any sort since 2004 so this is not typical for me. I rarely get sick. 

Shannon, any updates? darker hpts?

#330 of 429 Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Shannon, yay!

what I meant about the melting pot is that certain cultures within the US are more likely to do things to stave off PPD, and generally those populations are the ones most like to breastfeed and have good support. We are a very big country with a variety of experiences within. When I had Gabe I was expecting lots of visitors, but everyone was sick and stayed away. I was bored! I really wanted some company. It was just DH, I and the baby for the most part until after the new year, with the exception of visiting for holidays. The bonding time was great, but I was a little lonely. I think everyone is different, and my experience with the next baby may change what I feel I need after the birth. I think education about breastfeeding and the realities of new babies is really important - in some areas this is done far better than others.

KInder and Carrie: yay on O! here is to a speedy TWW with a positive ending!

it would be great if we had everyone pregnant by Christmas!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page