NFP and weight loss - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm having a weird cycle this month and it's really got me puzzled. We've been using NFP to avoid for over a year now (since my cycles came back at 17 months with my DS). That entire time, I've had really regular cycles. Textbook. Ovulation on day 14-16. LP of 12-14 days. EWCM corresponds with ovulation.

Just for some background, my method of avoiding is probably a bit different from the book methods. We start avoidance on day 6 (so last safe day is day 5) and avoid until 2 days after ovulation. I use a combination of mucous signs, ovulation predictor sticks and the ova-cue (vaginal wand) to determine ovulation. I generally start taking OPK on day 12 or whenever I start to get fertile mucous. My OPK always follow a pattern...no line...light line..+ for 1-2 days, then light line, then no line. I use the ovacue oral readings to predict ovulation and the ovacue vaginal wand to confirm ovulation. I correlate these with mucous signs. So, we avoid until at least 2 days after O and 2 days after drying up of mucous (no we don't wait the entire 4 days).

Up until this month, I've always been pretty confident of when I O'd.

This month, my fertile mucous occurred on days 11-14 (as usual)...but NO signs of ovulation with OPK or ova cue. Finally, yesterday on day 18..which is really late for me I got a + OPK and a "vaginal low". Then today. I also got a + OPK and a vaginal high. Which would signal that ovulation occurred today. Except I have NO fertile mucous. NONE. And, haven't for the last 4 days.

The only thing I could think of that is different is that I have been losing weight. Not super fast...like around 1 lb. a week. I'm right about average size right now (and have been all along)..not really big nor small. My BMI is probably around 25/26. I haven't increased my activity level at all. (I've always exercised on a regular basis). I have made dietary changes and been taking an algae/kelp supplement for thyroid support. I'm guessing the weight loss could have delayed ovulation??

(I am also nursing my 2 1/2 year old, but he hasn't been nursing more at all, and I haven't noticed his nursing affecting my cycles at all...even times when he did significantly increase his suckling (ie, times of illness).

Anyone have any suggestions for continuing to lose weight without interfering with my textbook perfect cycles. I suppose it could have been due to lack of fat consumption (which has increased a lot in the last 2 days, thanks to Halloween...oops...back on track tomorrow!). Any other ideas?

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page