EBF and..was that my PERIOD?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, help me out here, because I'm deeply confused. My son is almost 8 weeks old. I've been breastfeeding him on cue, day and night (and he eats A LOT). My lochia totally stopped at around 5 weeks postpartum. Then, last week, I had some mild pain/soreness in my vaginal regions and spotting for four days. Now I have some sticky CM going on, and I'm starting to wonder if that spotting was a "warning period." I often get vaginal soreness with my period, just like what I had last week.

It just seems really soon! I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this already! Thoughts?

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 05:08 AM

could be.  Starting with my third baby, I have experienced a quick ( two to three weeks) end to the lochia, and then a single "period" at about 6 weeks postpartum.  As an EBF mama, it is freaky.  The good news is that I then enjoyed a 10 to 12 month holiday with no periods until the return of fertility at about a year postpartum.

I do know several other mamas who had one period like episode at the 6 to 8 weeks postpartum window, and then no more.  Two mama friends of mine did have a return to normal cycles despite true EBF, which seems very unfair to me, but what can you do?

Milo

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm relieved to hear this! I'm glad toknow this happens to other people, and I sure hope I'm like you and not like those friends you mentioned...I am SO not ready to be dealing with fertility again....

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM

I'm another one who has had this. With both kids I stopped bleeding around 5 weeks pp, then had another period-like bleed around 6-7 weeks. I went on to have 12 and 10months of amenorrhea. Don't give up hope!

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Me three--lochia stopped after a few weeks, then I remember some bleeding at 6 weeks postpartum. My cycles returned when my breastfed baby was around 11 months old. I think it's pretty normal! You could be getting your period back, but not necessarily.

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

User Tag List