Tell me about IUD's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After I have this baby, I'll need birthcontrol STAT. Obviously, no pill since I'll be breastfeeding.......I'm wary of the mini pill mainly because I STINK at remember to take pills.

So my options I'm seriously looking at right now are IUD or Diaphragm.

Does anyone have an IUD or have info on them? Today is my research day!!!!!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 01:40 PM

I just received all my brochures. Do google searches on Mirena and ParaGuard, the two kinds. I think I am getting the Paraguard -- it is copper without any hormones. It seems like the perfect BC for me (I tried to get fitted for a diaphragm but something about the way my pelvic bone is situated means i can't get one in).

The only thing about IUDs -- and I mean ONLY -- is that even the people who make them can't seme to figure out exactly WHY they work. SHouldn't THEY know?
#3 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 01:47 PM

I have the mirena IUD and it : have bled a little for a month, but now it's gone. There are a few threads on IUD's over the family planning forum, you should check them out, there's a ton of info over there.
#4 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 03:13 PM

Please be careful!!

I have posted my story once before about my horrible experience with the Mirena...

Heres the Cliffs notes version....

I had one inserted at 8 weeks postpartum..

Had the usual cramping...but it kept getting worse.

3 days later my doc wanted to take it out and it had been sucked up inside of me....

She scheduled me for surgery in 2 days...they were just going to sedate me and open my cervix and slide it out...

When I woke up I had stiches in two places in my abdomen...

The IUD travelled through the wall of my uterus and they had to cut me open and take it out of my side...

There is a disclaimer on the Mirena info sheet that states that this CAN happen allthough it is rare...I found out it happened to some one else I know as well...

Just be aware...is all I'm saying.

I know several others who have had great success!
#5 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 03:32 PM

I have experience with both IUD and diaphram. The diaphram was uncomfortable. Apparently the smallest size was still too big for me. I found it to be a pain to use because it required calculating when I might have intercourse and that ruined the spontanaity, pluss you have to clean it and store it. I found that my sensitivity was effected.

The IUD was a worse experience. I went in to get it and it was so uncomfortable that I almost passed out from the pain. I would not let the OB finish the insertion. It was an awful experience. I do not reccomend it.

Since you are bf'ng you can use LAM.
#6 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 PM

I got an iud last month. Insertion wasn't all that bad for me. It wasn't pleasant or anything just uncomfortable. The cramping aftrewards was pretty bad for a few days. I still get cramps every now and then, and I have more dicharge than usual. (TMI?) :LOL

If you do decide to get one, make sure you go to an experienced OB who has inserted a lot of iud's and know what they are doing. I think a lot of times the pain and other problems that come from them happen when less experienced dr's try and put them in.

Beatgirl posted on my iud thread, and it sounds like her ob perforated her uterus.

If you want the play-by-play of my appointment, I'll give it to ya! Let me know! Good luck!
G

Oh, I have the copper T
#7 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 PM

I had a copper IUD inserted in January. Had light cramps afterwards, but everything seems to be fine. I am bleeding twice a month though since the insertion.
Godd luck with your decision!
#8 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 07:21 PM

G-Dawg, can you give us the play by play? I'm getting on in a few weeks and would love to know exactly what to expect. TIA
#9 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 PM

I have the Paraguard and really like it. I chose that one since it is non-hormonal. The insertion was quick and painless, but I did get some cramping the next day, I think. My cycles have now returned and are very regular. I do have 2 days of very heavy bleeding, and then the rest is fairly "normal." I can't say I like the heavy bleeding all that much, but I'd rather have that than added hormones in my body (the Mirena). I love the freedom on the IUD though since I doubt I would remember to take a pill or change a patch or anything else.
#10 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 01:03 PM

I had the Paraguard IUD inserted about a year ago. The insertion was VERY uncomfortable. In fact, I passed out on the drive home (and I was driving! Luckily, I pulled over and put the car in park moments before I lost consciousness). So make sure to bring someone with you to the insertion, it is not just a simple painless procedure. I had really strong cramping that day and it tapered off by a couple days. Now I have 7-10 day long periods with 2 days af REALLY heavy flow. And like a previous post said - a lot more discharge.

BUT, I don't have to worry about taking a pill and I'm not putting drugs into my body - so I think ultimately this is the best solution for me. And hey - it lasts 10 years!
#11 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 PM

I have the Mirena and I didn't even feel the insertion (I believe it was like the second one my doctor had every inserted too!). I think the secret is to get it inserted at your 6 week postpartum. In my case, at least, my cervix was still a little dilated, so the insertion was no problem at all. The thing I didn't like was that I spotted for months and months. Basically, I spotted until my ds weaned (at a year old). But I haven't had a period since, which is pretty nice.

Good luck with your decision. I love that I don't even have to think about birth control until Isaac is 5.
#12 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mama_kass

Since you are bf'ng you can use LAM.
That doesn't work for everyone!!

I was very nervous about getting an IUD, and the smallest available diaphragm was too big for me even after childbirth; I used FA which requires almost no work once you know what you're doing. It's best to spend at least one cycle learning what's up, but once you do it's excellent.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#13 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 04:25 PM

Moving this to Family Planning...
#14 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 04:29 PM

What does FA stand for?

I can't thank you all enough for all your reponses (I'm not the OP but I am following this thread) -- I had no idea that anything could suck/go wrong. I believed the propaganda!!! More to consider before signing up for Paraguard...thanks
#15 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 04:33 PM

FA stands for fertility awareness; some people call it natural family planning, but they're really two different things. you can find lots and lots of information on it in this forum!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#16 of 30 Old 03-30-2004, 09:23 PM

I had an IUD for about 10 months. I used the one that was non-hormonal and felt good about my decision to go with the IUD (good for years, don't have to think about it, effective, etc). My GYN was great at putting it in. It felt like a pap smear almost. Nothing painful at all, just a little mildly discomfortable. i was about 8-9 months post-prtum. (Emys_Mama -- sorry yuors was so painful!) Removal was just as easy. I blinked and it was over. I did have some bleeding after both insertion and removal.

So, why did I have it removed? Despite my GYN saying they were totally unrelated, I was having some problems. After about 5 months with the IUD I started getting sick every 7-10 days with colds, flu, you name it I picked it up. Which was odd, because I'm not one to get sick that often, especially during the summer! I had trouble thinking clearly, too. within 2 weeks of having the IUD taken out my thinking came back and I wasn't sick again. Interesting, huh? Apparently it just didn't work for my body.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#17 of 30 Old 03-30-2004, 09:43 PM

I had the ParaGuard inserted 6 weeks ppd and it was very uncomfortable.

I had light spotting for months afterwards, but it was tolerable.

I thought the IUD was great. It was so freeing to be able to have sex skin to skin and not worry about pregnancy and not have to do anything daily or even in the moment to prevent it.

Once I got my periods back though it was awful. They were so heavy. I would go through a super tampon and a pad in a little over an hour. Normally I have a very light flow - so this was just crazy for me.

The other thing that really made me uncomfortable is that although my midwife claimed the IUD prevents conception there are others that would disagree with that and say that it is causing an early termination. I believed my midwife until twice I was a day or two late and would start to feel pregnant - sore breasts, feeling sick, food aversions, etc. . . then I'd get my period and it would be so heavy. I really started to be concerned that I was getting pregnant and then the IUD was causing it to terminate - hence the crazy heavy flow. I was personally not comfortable with this possibility.

Anyway, I took it out and thought I'd try my hand at NFP and got pregnant two months later
#18 of 30 Old 04-06-2004, 05:07 PM

Alrighty, here are the gory details! jk!

First my OB inserted the speculum (sp?) and he used a long thin plastic wand with a slider on it to check the depth of my uterus, to avoid inserting the Iud too far. (Perforation - BAD) At one point he said my cervix wouldn't stay open, so he put some sort of clamp thingy on it to keep it open. That didn't feel good. Then he inserted the IUD. There was some cramping and discomfort. I cramped quite a bit for a few days. I think thats about it.

If you have any other questions, let me know! I did wish I had someone to drive me home tho. I had to go and pick up my kids and run an errand afterwards. That wasn't really smart. :

Good Luck!
G
#19 of 30 Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 PM

My insertion wasn't that bad. Dd was in my arms the whole time (I like playing wonderwoman : ) and I wore her in the sling back to my house ( a 2 kilometers walk). It felt like a really uncomfortable and long pap test.
#20 of 30 Old 04-14-2004, 10:04 PM

Speaking of IUDs, I asked my doctor about them the other day and if I get one I'd have to pay $500 up front even though my insurance co. says I only have to pay a $15 co-pay. My doc won't take insurance for IUDs because she said the insurance doesn't even pay enough to cover the actual cost of the IUD. That's insane! I never thought I'd use an IUD, but I'm left with few choices now so I wanted one. Now I'll have to see if I can find someone that will take insurance for it.

Has anyone else had trouble getting a doc to take insurance for an IUD?
#21 of 30 Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 PM

So I finally got my IUD inserted two weeks ago, at six weeks post partum. I just thought I'd come on here and post my experience for anyone who may be interested. I got it on a wednesday, and the insertion was no trouble at all. I barely even felt the sound (the instrument they use to measure your uterus to make sure your uterus is the right size....or something!) since my cervix was still open.

After it was inserted I felt fine and went with the kids and my mom to the grocery store, and I could tell I had started to spot a little. By the time we left the store, I felt a weird discomfort in my cervix. Like getting a check in the end of pregnancy.

That night I felt a little nauseated and I started cramping bleeding really heavily-like post partum. The cramping and bleeding continued until Sunday night, and the nausea was off and on.

Called my midwife monday and tuesday (She was at TWO births during that time! busy midwife..) and finally got in to see her on wednesday. She figured out it was expeling. it was only partially coming out and she said if I had not come in it would have eventually come all the way out.

In the end I'm glad it came out because I wasn't too excited about havinga big plastic T thingy in my poor uterus anyways. I guess my uterus didn't like it much either! :LOL

not sure what i'mgoing to do for bc now though....
#22 of 30 Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 PM

So G-dawg, how was (is) your experience?? Anyone else with stories can pipe up if they wish.
#23 of 30 Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted my story awhile ago about the Mirena. Pretty much like it. Lots of spotting for the first month, then leg cramps during period time for the first year or so. Now, 3 years later, nothing much. Very scant periods every 2-3 weeks. I want to take it out because I miss my period and cycling normally. A bit afraid of taking it out because I worry it will hurt. Felt a little woozy getting it in, but not too bad.

Carolynn
#24 of 30 Old 02-08-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn
I posted my story awhile ago about the Mirena. Pretty much like it. Lots of spotting for the first month, then leg cramps during period time for the first year or so. Now, 3 years later, nothing much. Very scant periods every 2-3 weeks. I want to take it out because I miss my period and cycling normally. A bit afraid of taking it out because I worry it will hurt. Felt a little woozy getting it in, but not too bad.

Carolynn
Having it removed is a lot easier then having it put in. It doesn't hurt at all.
#25 of 30 Old 02-08-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Having it removed is a lot easier then having it put in. It doesn't hurt at all.

Um, yeah. Like in my case where it just fell out. For real.

I posted in Fertility about it. I realize that everyone has a different experience with IUDs but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My experience, from the long&hard menses to it becoming dislodged, have been bad. I have an gyn appt on Wed to be checked out. I am done with bc! I've had it all, bc pills, depo, norplant, & iud...*for me* I think i'm going to make a go of the FAM. Or leave it up to my dh, who *insists* he's gonna have a vasectomy.mhmm, sure.

I sincerely hope no one has the same problems I have had.
And I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner. beatgirl's story scared the hell outta me.
#26 of 30 Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM

hi all-
i'm new on here and distressed
ive tried three kinds of oral contraceptives: loestrin, yasmin and now junel FE .. they just dont work for me! ive gained weight and they make me on edge..ive never been a high stress person but i feel like i am going to snap..i have no sex drive, no motivation, almost depression, tired all the time.. the weight gain is i think mostly water weight..i NEVER sweat when working out (~5 times/week) but since ive started yasmin..(now im on junel) ive been sweating like crazy.. in weird places like the front of my lower leg..shin area.. weird?

anyway, ive been looking for a new method..getting married in september and the last thing i want is to be moody and feel fat on the wedding day..im considering the paragard, copper T IUD because it has no hormones..ive never had any kids..cant afford them yet
if anyone has any advice or other suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

thanks much!
#27 of 30 Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM

The Copper IUD works great and is easy to have put in place and remove, just keep in mind you may have very, very heavy period with it.
#28 of 30 Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Seems like everyone has a different experience with these...
I have met 2 people who had gotten pregnant with an IUD.
I had one for a year (Mirena) and had it taken out. I didn't have my period for a year, but still had PMS for at least 2 weeks of every month. I hated it. I can't count the number of pregnancy tests I bought because I wasn't menstruating and was always paranoid.
#29 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkistgirlee View Post

anyway, ive been looking for a new method..getting married in september and the last thing i want is to be moody and feel fat on the wedding day..im considering the paragard, copper T IUD because it has no hormones..ive never had any kids..cant afford them yet
if anyone has any advice or other suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

thanks much!
i might be too late chiming in but i wouldn't recommend getting the IUD until after the wedding. i got married last september (yay for september brides!) and had a paraguard inserted the previous march. the cramping and spotting got increasingly bad the longer i had it in and my body ended up expelling it in august so i was back on the pill and trying to re-adjust to the hormones right before my wedding.

i've never been pregnant either and suspect the bodies of us "non-moms" have a more difficult time getting used to something being up there i'm not trying to dissuade you (i've even gotten another paraguard inserted and am working through the cramps again), i just think you might save yourself a bit of unneeded stress leading up to your big day
#30 of 30 Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 AM

I, too, have the copper Paragard and my cycle is longer than it used to be, but I am not sure if it is because of the change-over after birth or from the IUD. I do notice that my flow is heavier than it was before dd's birth.

My insertion was easy at 6 weeks pp. So easy in fact that I went shopping at Target afterward. : Anyhow, I do not, however feel confortable with the concept of leaving it in my uterus for 10 years. I will probably have it taken out sometime this year or the next just for a break. But that is just me. I'm nervous like that.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page