Diaphram question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got fitted for a diaphram and have a question. Now that I am home I am wondering, am I getting it in there right??? When I put it in it just seems to pop in place. It feels the same as when I was in the OB office, but I really want to be sure it's in right. kwim. How do you know it's properly placed? Thanks!! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM

To me, it seems like if it feels right, it is right.  If I don't get it in as far back as it should go, or if I accidentally get it backwards, it is uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.  If I place it well, I don't feel it at all, no matter what position I am in.

I've experimented during my period, too.  I know diaphragms are not recommended for use during menstruation because of the risk of toxic shock syndrome if left in too long.  But I have inserted it on heavy flow days for a couple of hours at a time just to see what happens, and I have found it to have very minimal leakage.  The cervix can change position during your cycles, so how it fits during your menstrual period does not always correlate to how it fits during ovulation.  But I still found this reassuring for its effectiveness as a barrier. 

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

To me, it seems like if it feels right, it is right.  If I don't get it in as far back as it should go, or if I accidentally get it backwards, it is uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.  If I place it well, I don't feel it at all, no matter what position I am in.

Ditto...I assumed it was in wrong when I could feel it-it'd be uncomfortable or painful. When I didn't feel like it was there then I figured it was in the "right" way.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM

You should make sure that the dome of the D is covering you cervix. You should be able to feel your cervix through the dome-a hardish lump that feels a bit like your nose. You should also make sure the rim of the D is behind your pubic bone. Your diaphragm should stay in place even if bear down. You are right, you shouldn't even notice it once it is in.

Here is a link with some drawings

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/diaphragm-4244.htm

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

User Tag List