"older" mom w/clotting issues, crazy to want 1 more? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am new here...found this site while googling my clotting problem. Looks like a great place to come for advice and support, which you might have gotten from my post title! I am looking for anyone who has been in my shoes to tell me their story. I am so unsure. My backround is this- we have 2 kids (boy,14 and girl,10) I am 37, dh is 42. I have always wanted another one but he was on the fence until last year, when his mom passed away. We got pg and lost it right away. Got pg again and lost that baby at 10 weeks. Our first ones were so easy, no probs at all. My OB did some testing and discovered I have Factor 2 prothrombin mutation and that it could be the cause of these two losses. If we decide to try again, I will need Lovenox shots to keep the pregnancy.  This scares my dh, and I admit I'm a little scared too. But add this in with the whole "advanced age" thing, am I crazy to take the risk?

My mom keeps asking me why do I want to start over when we are older and so close to being done (able to go out without getting a sitter, take small trips alone, etc). And I can't explain it, I just get so sad when I think of being done with having kids. It's all I have ever wanted, to be a mom. Don't get me wrong, I know our kids will need us still as they get older. But I miss the "little" stage.

Am I tempting fate here? Has anyone gone on to have healthy babies with all this "stuff" to deal with? I know someone must have! I can't be alone in this!

#2 of 3 Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Welcome to MDC. I don't have any advice on the clotting issues- but as an older mom of a 6 mo (I'm 46) I can tell you it's wonderful. I say if your energy level is up to it and you are otherwise healthy, you may not have any other problems. DD2 (dh's DD1) is the joy of our lives and worth any and all trouble we went to to get her. We did IVF, so I know it can be daunting thinking about all those shots. Good luck with your decision mama!

Sara

ps  a lot of women on my IVF forum have clotting issues and don't let it stop them at all.

#3 of 3 Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM

I had 2 m/c, early losses at age 37 and 38. My doc had me do a bunch of testing for clotting disorders. Everything came back normal, however he said that if I did become pregnant again that he would immediately put me on heparin. From what I read back then it seems like tiny blood clots can cause problems even shortly after implantation and that blood thinners can reduce the risk of m/c if this is the cause. It can be normal to have normal healthy pregnancies, resulting in live births, and then later on have a problem like this, or have a clotting issue. I would not let that stop me from TTC if that is what I wanted to do. I think there may be some research related to taking a baby aspirin, low dose after getting a BFP too, and that may help if there is a "clotting issue". I would read up on sites that are related to infertility, there should be info about blood clotting issues on those type of sites. Good luck!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page