Thinking about TTC #2 and weaning concerns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No one IRL would understand what I'm feeling, so I thought I'd reach out here. I"m looking for advice, personal experiences and support...

For the last year I've been thinking about TTC #2, but knew I wan't ready, knew DS needed to have me to himself, and DH and I have been working through some things in our marriage, setting boundaries with MIL, etc... A few weeks ago PPAF returned and I've been more excited about the idea of TTC #2 and things with DH are great. I've been reading tons about TTC while BF, tandem nursing, getting OPKs ready. But I still question if DS is ready for us to have another baby. And maybe I'm not ready yet!

How do you know when you're ready for another child? It makes me sad to think about the relationship I have with DS changing. I feel like I'm mentally cheating on him, LOL! It also makes me sad to think DS could wean during the pregnancy. I realize he's had a nice long ride, but BF is a huge part of our lives. It brings him so much comfort. And it's been incredible for me too... I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done. And it makes me sad to hear that 70% of babies wean during the mother's pregnancy. DH says that's a stupid reason to postponse TTC #2, and that DS will "wean mayway". But 2.5 is different from 4.5, so I feel like I need to give me what he needs and has depended on.

Any thoughts or support?

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08
#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

No one?  :)

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08
#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM

I got pg with my second when my first was 11 months and I did nurse through the pg and tandem for a few months before weaning my first.  When I got pg with my third, I did wind up weaning my then 26 month old b/c I wasn't thrilled at the idea of tandeming again with the older of the two being 2.5 (2-2.5 is kind of my personal bf comfort zone end, so ymmv) and I did have some pain that also contributed.

Your bf relationship most likely would change, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Your ds will become an older brother and that will be a whole new role for him.  There doesn't seem to be any way ot predict which children will wean during pg and which won't, but you can find some other activities to keep you close even if he does wean -- cuddling, story time, etc.

As far as how I knew it was time for another, we were kind of not trying/not avoiding for #2 and I think he came the first time I ovulated.  #3 was a bit of a surprise, though very much wanted.  So, we didn't have as much of the active trying and planning which might have been easier when I think about it.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I would throw it out there. 

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Well we didn't really plan our 3rd who I became pregnant with when our 2nd was 8 months old. We took a chance during our fertile and bam! we got pregnant! I did end up having to wean my baby when I was four months along with her sister. If I had to do it all over again, I would have loved to give her more bf-ing time but life happens! Literallly! :) 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page