'It's irresponsible for you to have more than two children' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you say to people who have this view? And how do you get past it, inside yourself? Ever since I was pregnant with my DD, who is now 18 months old, I've felt like we're supposed to have a least one or two more children. We are hoping to start ttc next summer, after I've had my silver (mercury!) fillings removed for a few months and the mercury has had a chance to leave my body.

I know that some people I know, especially my MIL believe that people 'these days' shouldn't have more than one child, due to the 'fact' that there are too many humans to support already.

While it is not true that we cannot support the people currently living; it's that we choose not to (additionally, if people lived in a responsible manner, we could potentially support many more humans) however, I really don't feel like getting into a debate about society and it's ills with everyone who is likely to bring it up banghead.gif

To make matter worse (in other people's opinion, not ours!) we are poor. We are poor by choice, because DH and I are unwilling to spend more time apart than we do already. We also don't feel like being poor is a bad thing - we always have more than we need, and being rich in money doesn't compare (for us) to being rich in health and love, which we are bouncy.gif  However, to some people, it's just one more reason why we shouldn't have more kids, at least not right now confused.gif

So... what do you/have you said when people remark on your choice to have more than 1 or 2 kids for reason such as the ones I've listed? Any good, short comments I can say when people start bringing it up to me? 

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM

To be honest, I actually have my own doubts about having such a large family. The global warming/over-population movement really got us all good! The worst comments are from family members. They are the only ones that probably have the guts to say something to us! We usually just get stares and "wow!, FOUR!, wow!" and I say "Yep, we're busy!" and move on! Now that we are open to a fifth child, I can't even imagine how this will all change. I will probably just rely on my faith to get me through the comments. I believe children are blessings. I believe in raising my children to be blessings to others and, in my mind, I'm doing my part!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#3 of 40 Old 11-28-2010, 07:21 PM

as a geographer, who teaches about Population distribution, you can quote me:  the problem is not that we have too many people. the problem is that the resources are not distributed equally.  also, birth rates are close to zero here in the U.S, they would be zero if we didn't have an influx of immigrants who generally have more than 2 kids in the first generation.  countries like Italy, France, Germany and Japan, are having serious problems because they are below zero and they can't take care of the older retired generations.  less and less people are having children, even 1 child is too many for some.  do you know someone who will never have kids? then have a third for them! 

i really really really want a third.  my husband is totally waffling.  tonight we got on the topic of a third and he pulled that responsibilty line on me.  i told him we needed a third to lessen the burden of having only 2 to care for us in our old age.  i don't want more than three (just for my sanity).  i'm not sure what to say to people except to tell them that it Malthus (the economist who predicted overpopulation) was wrong.  Not that we should all go out and have 8 babies, but he was wrong and that zero population growth isn't a factor.  And that most people are either not having children or only having 1, so...your third isn't a big deal.  really - it may prove necessary in the future to encourage people to have children - tell them you are just a trendsetter.  One of the reasons they have great maternity leave in France is to encourage people to have more than 1 child. 

#4 of 40 Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Eh, my MIL said this to me. I just brushed it off. DH and I are only planning on two- maybe three- but it has nothing to do with population or what anyone says. I don't think anyone else should dictate how many children you have.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#5 of 40 Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post

as a geographer, who teaches about Population distribution, you can quote me:  the problem is not that we have too many people. the problem is that the resources are not distributed equally.  also, birth rates are close to zero here in the U.S, they would be zero if we didn't have an influx of immigrants who generally have more than 2 kids in the first generation.  countries like Italy, France, Germany and Japan, are having serious problems because they are below zero and they can't take care of the older retired generations.  less and less people are having children, even 1 child is too many for some.  do you know someone who will never have kids? then have a third for them! 

i really really really want a third.  my husband is totally waffling.  tonight we got on the topic of a third and he pulled that responsibilty line on me.  i told him we needed a third to lessen the burden of having only 2 to care for us in our old age.  i don't want more than three (just for my sanity).  i'm not sure what to say to people except to tell them that it Malthus (the economist who predicted overpopulation) was wrong.  Not that we should all go out and have 8 babies, but he was wrong and that zero population growth isn't a factor.  And that most people are either not having children or only having 1, so...your third isn't a big deal.  really - it may prove necessary in the future to encourage people to have children - tell them you are just a trendsetter.  One of the reasons they have great maternity leave in France is to encourage people to have more than 1 child. 

In regards to population growth/overpopulation, etc...This.  I am not a geographer, but I have read several articles that say basicaly the same thing.  And really, the countries that do have a population problem, they are the ones causing any sort of strain on the earth and having one more child in the US isn't going to change that, neither is having no kids.

But, in regards to this:

Quote:
 To make matter worse (in other people's opinion, not ours!) we are poor. We are poor by choice, because DH and I are unwilling to spend more time apart than we do already. We also don't feel like being poor is a bad thing - we always have more than we need, and being rich in money doesn't compare (for us) to being rich in health and love, which we are bouncy.gif   

I hope this is not implying that you aren't able to support your kids without taxpayer assistance.  If that IS what you are implying, then I don't have a suggestion because I think that would be wrong.  However, assuming that's not what you mean then I would just say that you pay your bills and support your kids so it's not their business how much money you may or may not have.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

#6 of 40 Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM

These answers are so academic. On a bad day I would probably say something like, "Which child should I have aborted?" or "You won't be bitching about them when they are paying your social security."

#7 of 40 Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, echo what raelize said.

Also, the solution to global problems is not verbally encouraging people to make individual decisions based on the good of the world rather than on their own individual needs.  That's ridiculous, it never works.

Macro-level problems require macro-level incentives.

When women have educational and employment opportunities, their reproductive rates drop.  Sure some educated women will still choose to have eight kids, but so many more will choose to have one or none that it more than balances out.  Most developed nations are below replacement rates right now - it's a significant problem in many European nations and in Japan.

So the way to get population control on a global scale is to introduce educational and employment opportunities for women on a global scale.  Not to berate individuals about their personal, drop-in-the-ocean reproductive choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post

"You won't be bitching about them when they are paying your social security."

I like that one a lot actually. :) 

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#8 of 40 Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Quote:

In regards to population growth/overpopulation, etc...This.  I am not a geographer, but I have read several articles that say basicaly the same thing.  And really, the countries that do have a population problem, they are the ones causing any sort of strain on the earth and having one more child in the US isn't going to change that, neither is having no kids.

But, in regards to this:

Quote:
 To make matter worse (in other people's opinion, not ours!) we are poor. We are poor by choice, because DH and I are unwilling to spend more time apart than we do already. We also don't feel like being poor is a bad thing - we always have more than we need, and being rich in money doesn't compare (for us) to being rich in health and love, which we are bouncy.gif   

I hope this is not implying that you aren't able to support your kids without taxpayer assistance.  If that IS what you are implying, then I don't have a suggestion because I think that would be wrong.  However, assuming that's not what you mean then I would just say that you pay your bills and support your kids so it's not their business how much money you may or may not have.

When XP and i split i had a 2month old baby and nowhere to go.  During pregnancy we had decided we really wanted our kid to have a parent care for them until they were at least 3, we have flaky/dead relatives so it was going to fall on one of us.  And since she was breastfed (and also since it took a number of years for XP to get the hang og parenting) it was going to be ME.  The taxpayer supported me, and her, until i was able to come off assistance over 2 years later.  It irks me that the attitude is that if you need benefits ever then you made terrible wrong choices.  Does every baby deserve breastmilk?  Or only those whose parents are successful and lucky (i earned plenty before i had DD) enough to be able to get by without government assistance?  I am incredibly grateful that the social security system exists in this country (UK) and i am very happy to pay taxes to continue to support it.  Sure there are some people who take advantage and are lazy, but scratch the surface and they usually have their own issues (of 3 women i know who had multiple kids and were on benefits long-term 2 had never learned to read due to being at home as a child caring for a sick parent!), and many many people use the system because they fell on hard times.  I had all kinds of very concrete preconceptions about what single mothers on benefits were like, until i became one.

#9 of 40 Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM

I've been having lots of similar conversations inside my head recently, and imagining conversations with others if I become pg with #3 soon. It certainly is weird how people see two children as the magic number. No kids, one kid, and they all have to comment (we had an "only" for 6 years and people had a lot to say about that). Since we've had 2 kids, it's like we have the perfect situation for the commenters.... unless they want to say something about how we have 2 girls, no boy...

I am imagining the surprised reactions we will probably get from others we know. Because we're in a really crunchy area, there could be some feelings about resources and wastefulness - this is always a bit of a question, being in the resource-hogging U.S. Also we are... somewhat stretched financially. Dh's salary does pay the bills, but if I stop working again for a baby, things like reducing our debt will be farther away.

My worries are more close to home - one of my sisters has decided not to TTC #3 and to stop at 2, even though she would have loved a third, and I think she might feel envious. Then another sis is currently planning for #1 but it hasn't happened yet. So I'm worried about triggering their feelings if we find ourselves expecting #3.

And yet... DH keeps mentioning that one other awesome little person we feel like should be in the family, and I don't feel like I can close the door to that. We think of the scenario of many years from now, those three siblings having each other, etc etc. So yeah, I feel like I can just smile my way through some of those comments. Also I'm in a great circle of birth junkies where just the pregnancy & birth talk get most of the airtime! :)

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#10 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM
TLK

IMO, what a great gift if you can give your child(ren) a sibling.  There are so many lonely people in the world.  I am so thannkful to be one of 4 and to be able to raise my kids with my siblings kids - family is the most important thing!

I often hear of older women wishing they had had more children and didn't worry so much about the logistics.  I understand that we need to be smart and take care of ours, the best we can. However, many in our society feel they need way more than they actually do to raise their children.  What we are raising are ego-centric people who think the world revolves around them.  The easiest way to raise a person aware of sacrifice is in a larger family.  (I hope nobody finds this offensive, only my own opinion here.)

Oh, and I can't believe these MILs basically saying they don't want any more grandkids!

#11 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree with raelize. As for "taxpayer assistance", almost everyone does in some way. Who cares? Maybe if our society had a decent living wage system or social support it would be better, but as a taxpayer I have no problem with it.

As for people who say it to me-I couldn't give a rat's patoot what they think. I don't need to get over it because I see it as just another extreme POV by someone who should mind their own beeswax and if they were really worried, would be helping women get access to birth control and increase world breastfeeding rates and the rights of women. I can guarantee you 99.999% of people who say this to you don't do a darn thing in that regard, so who cares what they think?

I wish I could help you with what to say IRL to them. I've never had someone make that comment to my face but I would probably laugh hysterically at them in a not so friendly manner and tell them to mind their own business. But that's just how I am. wink1.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

As for people who say it to me-I couldn't give a rat's patoot what they think.

ROTFLMAO.gif

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#13 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM

I don't have any canned answers or retorts for your MIL. But just some words of support. Your loved, wanted, cared for children are not a problem for the world, only a benefit. People, I am telling you, I WANT you to have all the loved and cared for children you want. Not just "it doesn't bother me" but I want it, for our world.

I've chosen to have one child for my own reasons. Someone can feel free to borrow the extra space from my family.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#14 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM

I get alot of this and have developed a thick skin.  We have 9 children and are hoping to have more.  My SIL has zero.  My BIL has 2.  To each his own.  I don't give people a hard time for having none, 1, 2, etc so whatever.  I don't care what people think about me or say.  Our neighbors have 1 or 2 kids (or none) and live in houses bigger than ours and drive hummers.  We have maybe one garbage can out on garbage day and four recycling containers.  Our neighbors have at least 2 or 3 garbages and usually no recycling.  We use cloth and always have for diapers.  We are very earth friendly and our (grown) children are as well (our younger kids are too, of course, but they live here so it's different).  Listen to your heart.  That's all that really matters.  My MIL hasn't spoken to us in two years b/c we have chosen to have a large family.  Really?  How is *that* accepting of everyone or loving?  It's not.  It's just ridiculous.  We have tried to be kind and do kind things for her.  She hates us b/c of our family size.  That's a shame but we pray for her daily.  I hope her heart changes one day.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#15 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 PM

I think there is a real difference in gobal population issues and local population issues.

I agree that you should be able to care for any children you chose to bring into this world, and if you can't and need help getting there that is OK (really not a problem there is help), but that choosing to not provide when capable is an entirely different issue IMO.

There is nothing wrong with having less. Dh and I are choosing to live simpler so we can raise our children together, rather than 'bigger/ better' moneywise.

Dh and I want a large family, I think my kids are going to be able to make a positive difference in the world. That is our focus.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#16 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

Quote:

Quote:

But, in regards to this:

Quote:

When XP and i split i had a 2month old baby and nowhere to go.  During pregnancy we had decided we really wanted our kid to have a parent care for them until they were at least 3, we have flaky/dead relatives so it was going to fall on one of us.  And since she was breastfed (and also since it took a number of years for XP to get the hang og parenting) it was going to be ME.  The taxpayer supported me, and her, until i was able to come off assistance over 2 years later.  It irks me that the attitude is that if you need benefits ever then you made terrible wrong choices.  Does every baby deserve breastmilk?  Or only those whose parents are successful and lucky (i earned plenty before i had DD) enough to be able to get by without government assistance?  I am incredibly grateful that the social security system exists in this country (UK) and i am very happy to pay taxes to continue to support it.  Sure there are some people who take advantage and are lazy, but scratch the surface and they usually have their own issues (of 3 women i know who had multiple kids and were on benefits long-term 2 had never learned to read due to being at home as a child caring for a sick parent!), and many many people use the system because they fell on hard times.  I had all kinds of very concrete preconceptions about what single mothers on benefits were like, until i became one.

#17 of 40 Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Crap, I typed a whole post under what I quoted and it's gone. Bascially what I was saying is that I was being totally and completely misunderstood. Having been a single teen mom myself, I certainly have no "very concrete preconceptions" about anyone. Sometimes, people need a helping hand, and that's fine, I don't really care how they got to that point. BUT, if you (anyone) are AT that point where you need the help of others to just take care of the basic responsibilities that you already have, I don't think you need to be trying to add MORE responsibilities to the situation, at least not at that point.

#18 of 40 Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Yeah it keeps happening to people (the lost post thing!).  I dunno.  I didn't have any more when i was on benefits, but i see a lot of posts on here and elsewhere from agonised, sensible people who used good contraception but wound up pregnant at a bad time anyway, desperately trying to come to terms with their options and i guess, i just, i can't feel resentful about them deciding not to have an abortion.  DD1 was conceived with 2 of us in work, but she was born with me on what turned out to be permanent maternity leave and her daddy lost his job when she was a week old.  I really support a woman's right to choose, but i feel so sad that a woman might be expected to make a choice she is unhappy with for economic reasons, or for that matter be resented by others for having not-enough-money to go it alone but still not wanting to end a pregnancy of a wanted child.  As a demographic, sure, i see that is maybe an issue, but as individuals i find so much to understand and so little to dislike.  It's a hard one.  I didn't mean to offend you with my concrete preconceptions remark, i really just meant once i was judgemental of that situation, and it was a huge shock to find myself in it, and i can really imagine easily now how other people who are in it got there.  I wasn't being snarky, i'm sorry if you felt snarked at! (there's no hug icon i can make work, but hugs!).  One family i know have 3 under 4 and their Church keeps encouraging them, despite their situation, to go on having more.  They really feel caught, it's a hard one.  They try NFP, but it doesn't work well for them (and she's done the classes 3 times, so it's not for lack of trying).  Others like me ended up single unexpectedly, or have a disabled child which means mama cannot work as there isn't nursing provision.  There are a lot of sad stories out there.  I like the idea of a society that looks after its poor.  In a lot of ways the ones who are on long-term benefits have been failed by society.  I only know a few who choose to refuse to work and as i mentioned about, there are past abuse, literacy and addiction issues there.  I read this back and sound like a bleeding heart liberal i know!

Quote:

Crap, I typed a whole post under what I quoted and it's gone. Bascially what I was saying is that I was being totally and completely misunderstood. Having been a single teen mom myself, I certainly have no "very concrete preconceptions" about anyone. Sometimes, people need a helping hand, and that's fine, I don't really care how they got to that point. BUT, if you (anyone) are AT that point where you need the help of others to just take care of the basic responsibilities that you already have, I don't think you need to be trying to add MORE responsibilities to the situation, at least not at that point.

#19 of 40 Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Happy to find this post today.

After the birth of my most recent child (14 months ago) I had sworn off having another child.  I even gave away the infant clothes because I was d.o.n.e.  Money woes and managing my bipolar is what really made me want to stop even though my husband wants a large family.  We aren't on assistance, but we struggle.  We're behind on bills, have debt, rely on my parents who usually kick in for the kid's clothes.  (Though I think we could do better and spend less money.)  But I really didn't think I wanted another child.

I weaned my daughter at 12 months and got my first pp period in late October.  I had already scheduled an appointment with an OB to talk about birth control but, you know...it's hard to get in to see them  unless you are actually pregnant.  So my plan was to use NFP until I had my appointment a little over a month later.  Well.  I guess I failed.  Today, 1 week past the due date for my next period here I am sitting with a BFP.  Scared to tell my husband even though I know he would probably be excited. 

But mostly, scared of other people who will think I am irresponsible for letting myself become pregnant with a 3rd child when our finances are so tight.  Part of my is excited though.  Even though I never imagined myself with more than 2 children.  But mostly, I'm really scared.  Scared that I will hear all those comments from our family. 

Not exactly sure if this was appropriate to post here, but just needed to get that out redface.gif

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#20 of 40 Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations!

I'm so excited for you :)

In regards to other PP's... what we really need is a return to the tribal way of living; but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon, at least, not in a very broad sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsommer View Post

Happy to find this post today.

After the birth of my most recent child (14 months ago) I had sworn off having another child.  I even gave away the infant clothes because I was d.o.n.e.  Money woes and managing my bipolar is what really made me want to stop even though my husband wants a large family.  We aren't on assistance, but we struggle.  We're behind on bills, have debt, rely on my parents who usually kick in for the kid's clothes.  (Though I think we could do better and spend less money.)  But I really didn't think I wanted another child.

I weaned my daughter at 12 months and got my first pp period in late October.  I had already scheduled an appointment with an OB to talk about birth control but, you know...it's hard to get in to see them  unless you are actually pregnant.  So my plan was to use NFP until I had my appointment a little over a month later.  Well.  I guess I failed.  Today, 1 week past the due date for my next period here I am sitting with a BFP.  Scared to tell my husband even though I know he would probably be excited. 

But mostly, scared of other people who will think I am irresponsible for letting myself become pregnant with a 3rd child when our finances are so tight.  Part of my is excited though.  Even though I never imagined myself with more than 2 children.  But mostly, I'm really scared.  Scared that I will hear all those comments from our family. 

Not exactly sure if this was appropriate to post here, but just needed to get that out redface.gif

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#21 of 40 Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post

I get alot of this and have developed a thick skin.  We have 9 children and are hoping to have more.  My SIL has zero.  My BIL has 2.  To each his own.  I don't give people a hard time for having none, 1, 2, etc so whatever.  I don't care what people think about me or say.  Our neighbors have 1 or 2 kids (or none) and live in houses bigger than ours and drive hummers.  We have maybe one garbage can out on garbage day and four recycling containers.  Our neighbors have at least 2 or 3 garbages and usually no recycling.  We use cloth and always have for diapers.  We are very earth friendly and our (grown) children are as well (our younger kids are too, of course, but they live here so it's different).  Listen to your heart.  That's all that really matters.  My MIL hasn't spoken to us in two years b/c we have chosen to have a large family.  Really?  How is *that* accepting of everyone or loving?  It's not.  It's just ridiculous.  We have tried to be kind and do kind things for her.  She hates us b/c of our family size.  That's a shame but we pray for her daily.  I hope her heart changes one day.

We only have one child right now and don't want quite that many kids, but I know what you mean about the garbage situation. We use cloth and reusable whenever possible. Our neighbors have a FULL and overflowing garbage bin days before trash day (and they never have any recycling) and they don't have any kids. Ours is usually only half full and our recycling is full. Your ecological footprint is not based on how many kids you have- it's the choices you make and the choices you teach your children to make that make a difference.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#22 of 40 Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM

madsommer, I'm very excited for you too! I'm sure this new little one will be a gift to your family.

I hope people have good reactions for you... maybe wait a little for the news to settle w/you & dh, if you aren't ready to field commentary from the peanut gallery yet.

Amy, it's nice to see you - I believe I remember when you became ekblad5. ;)

I've been sitting with this conversation for several days (in my own head) and have gently tested the waters with a few people I care about - and have gotten very sweet responses encouraging about our thoughts of trying for #3.

I also think it matters a lot how you raise them to live consciously in the world, as others have said.

#23 of 40 Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Thank you ladies.  After talking with my husband, I am feeling much better and a lot more excited.  Though I am going to take your advice, mamabutterfly, and wait a little while longer until we tell our family.  I have faith that things will work themselves out :)

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#24 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM

I love these answers and they are the reasons I myself have 4 lovely angels. But my quick retort to such out of line comments is

"The world needs my children" 

I don't know for a fact that my kids will be leaders or problem solvers but that's how I'm raising them -- to be ecological, empathetic, progressive minded... They will be the kind of people the world needs to solve the next generation's problems.

I heard Dr. Sears' wife (Martha?) say something very close to this at a LLL conference.

#25 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 AM

In response to OP, when I hear, "Yes, but children are so expensive" as a reason why it is irresponsible to have many children, I now have line (that I think I may have originally gotten from MDC some time ago) -

"Children are not expensive, lifestyles are."

And this line is really along the lines of what others have said. The worlds ills are not caused by your children, or my children, or children in general. It really is an issue of lifestyles and choices, IMO.

We aren't even considered poor by anyone - DH is a SAHD and I make decent money. We have a roof over our heads (a home we own), we eat healthy food, we have appropriate clothing to wear, and my kids do not go without the necessities or even some small luxuries. Yet, we still get comments. Actually, I think people *think* we are poor just because we have 4 kids, LOL :-) Like, you can't have 4 kids and not be poor, unless of course you are wealthy or something. 

Whatever.

You have to do what is right for your family. And, if you and / or your children can actually work to solve some or the world's problems, or even help a little bit, then all the better :-)

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#26 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

Quote:
We use cloth and reusable whenever possible. Our neighbors have a FULL and overflowing garbage bin days before trash day (and they never have any recycling) and they don't have any kids. Ours is usually only half full and our recycling is full. Your ecological footprint is not based on how many kids you have- it's the choices you make and the choices you teach your children to make that make a difference.
Amen. We used to live in a duplex next to two college girls. They had the biggest trash bin I've ever seen for a residential home overflowing each week with no recycling. Plus each had one of those huge monster SUVs. We have a gas efficient van and one small trash bin with two recycling bins. It was really weird.

OP-You have every right to be happy. Congrats!

Trying to figure out this quote deal, bear with me. lol

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#27 of 40 Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How do you quote just a sentence from a post??

Kindermama- I love how you said you believe in raising your children to be blessings to others. I believe children are blessing too.

I think at this time on our earth, loved and wanted children are really important. If all the men who lead our country, and others, into mindless wars and irresponsible debts had been well-loved and truly wanted they would be leading us to peace and wholesome prosperity. Hopefully our children can do that for the future. Sorry if this sounds super hokey, just MPO.

#28 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM

I have three kids right now and hear this occasionally. My standard reply is "which one shouldn't I have had?"

But I don't tend to be very polite when people think they get a vote about my family size.  The only people who get a vote in my family size are my husband and me. I've never understood why other people feel that it's up to them how many children a couple has. As has already been pointed out, the USA is pretty darn close to zero population growth. Don't we hear every day about how there aren't enough young adults now to support the baby boomers wanting to retire? We try to live as green as we can, and that's a lot more than many people can say, including lots of people who have NO children.

FWIW we are planning to TTC a #4 later this year. I don't know if we will have more after that, but it definitely won't be decided by jerks who think they get to dictate my family size for me.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#29 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

When did 1 or 2 become the "norm"?  If you look back just a few generations ago 4, 5, or even 6 kids was typical.  How are the same people, from these larger family generations (MIL's, gradparents) saying its irresponsible to have more than 1 or 2?  There's always a shift with every new generation, and I see many more large families now than years ago.

And I LOVE it!  We just spent $10,000 to be able to conceive #3, despite the opinions of my MIL and various other family members.  We are very self sufficient people, we raise as much of our own food as we can- we are conscious of the world and what the world needs, and we are COMPLETELY financially responsible for ourselves. I am also a SAHM.  I love the comment about children not being expensive, lifestyles being expensive- its very true!

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#30 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM

My DH is the youngest of 8, I'm the oldest of 3, and my mom is the oldest of 6 (and one of 16 cousins from the 6 kids of her grandmother's-- 3 of the aunts never had kids), and my own family will be complete with 4 kids. I totally agree with the PPs who had pointed out that it is totally possible to sustainably raise a "large" family by making ecologically-responsible lifestyle choices. We do have a van instead of the tiny cars we used to have, but we're a one-car family now, and I've used most of the same diapers and baby clothes for all 3, and will stretch them to #4, pass on what's usable, then use the rest for cleaning cloths and the scrap basket. We grow much of our food, and are conscientiously get most of the rest from local farmers and local shops, etc.

I think smaller families became the norm as kids became an economic liability rather than a benefit-- mountains of new "gear", day care, other entertainment, and all of the expenses of many modern families, while in agrarian times, big families were free a labor force. And let's not forget the decrease in infant and child mortality-- my paternal great-grandmother was one of 13 kids, but illness, accidents, and war meant that only 5 of them survived to adulthood and reproduction...

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page