Charting to Avoid / Fertility Awareness - January - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to a new month, new year, and new thread keeper (I hope I don't mess this up!)

cold.gif JANUARY 2011 cold.gif

Last Month's Thread

Welcome to the January 2011 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in December, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in January if you want to be on the February list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

Angelorum

angelxxrose(CTA 13 months)

badgerbaby

Barefoot Girl

Braan

Eresh (currently LAM)  BFPChart2.gif

fnpmama BFPChart2.gif

goinggreengirl BFPChart2.gif (CTA 2 months) 
HulaJenn BFPChart2.gif (CTA since May 2009)
justKate BFPChart2.gif (CTA since November 2010) 
knittinanny BFPChart2.gif

lactatinggirl

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif  (CTA 24 cycles)

Mom2SammyJoe(CTA 8 months)

mommy2two babes

phathui5

RavaAvis BFPChart2.gif

starsprouts
theboysmama BFPChart2.gif
Toolip BFPChart2.gif

TrishWSU BFPChart2.gif (CTA 26 months)

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

wholewheatchick (Dec. 2010)
OSUvet (Feb. 2011)
echospiritwarrior (Feb. 2011)
lyterae (Feb. 2011)
dex_millie (Feb. 2011)
annie2186 (April 2011)
katiedidbug (May 2011)
BarefootScientist (June 2011)
Smokering (June 2011)

AnnieA (July 2011)

shells_n_cheese (July 2011)
Baby_Cakes

MovingMomma

No Longer TTA

capretta

jeninejessica BFPChart2.gif

LionessMom BFPChart2.gif

Mummoth BFPChart2.gif

Good luck to those now TTC! fingersx.gif

Summary of FAM Rules

(sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry Day Rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak Day Rule: The last day of fertile mucus is called the peak day (the day before your mucus begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucus appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature Shift Rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2° F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1° F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility
 by Katie Singer
Honoring Our Cycles (workbook) by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites

TCOYF (Ovusoft) charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Garden of Fertility author Katie Singer's website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations

AF: Aunt Flo, menses, your period
BBT: basal body temperature
BC: birth control
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: cycle day
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CHs: crosshairs (intersection of coverline and ovulation)
CL: coverline
CM: cervical mucus (same as CF)
CO: cervical opening
CP: cervical position
CTA: charting to avoid
CTW: charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: days past ovulation
DTD: do the dead (sex)
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucus/fluid
FAM: fertility awareness method
FF: Fertility Friend (website, see above)
HBC: hormonal birth control
HTL: high temp level (0.4°F above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)
LAM: lactational amenorrhea method (breastfeeding as birth control)
LP: luteal phase (between ovulation and menses, average 10-16 days)
LTL: low temp level (highest of the 6 temps immediately before temp rise)
NFP: natural family planning
O: ovulation
SHOW: soft, high, open, wet (characteristics of the cervix near ovulation)
SR: seminal residue
TCOYF: Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book and website, see above)
TTA: trying to avoid
TTW: trying to whatever
other common abbreviations

Happy Charting Everyone! 

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#2 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so this is my first time being the thread keeper-please make sure your chart links are correct. If there is anything you need changes or updated please pm me or post changes in bold so I don't miss them

Mummoth-you're listed under both CTA and No Longer TTA...which one is it?

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ooohhh!  Thank you for the new thread!  Happy New Year!

CD one, maybe 2, for me... terrible cramps. what a way to start 2011

The reason I'm not sure about the CD is that I definitely had spotting last night and maybe around 10:30 is was regular flo but it was so late I don't know if I should count it...

Anyway  champagne.gif  here's to a successful year of CTA in 2011!!!

#4 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for taking over! Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

Mummoth-you're listed under both CTA and No Longer TTA...which one is it?

Oops, that was my mistake. She is no longer TTA.

#5 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the new thread. Can't link my chart right now as I am on my I pad. Yesterday at 10dpo I had an obvious temp drop and am waiting for af. It spiked way up again this morning at 11 dpo. What does that mean? This is my first ppaf after an 8 wk mc. Typically my lp is9-10 days for my first ppaf.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Here's my chart link. And this is only our second month CTA. Before that we were using condoms.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#7 of 101 Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Here is my chart link.

Would love to know what's going on!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#8 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Nicole~did you drink any alcohol and/or stay up later than usual on NYE or was it warmer in your house than usual? Or was there anything different than usual on the morning of the 31st (was the house cold or you were already awake before you temped?) I've noticed that for me my temp will jump up and down depending on how alseep I am when my alarm goes off-most of the time I will already be mostly awake by the time it goes off and my temps are fairly stable, but sometime I'll be full on dead to the world and for some reason my temp jumps up .3-.4 degrees. I guess I sleep hot or something?!

Toolip~what a great start to the New Year, indeed! I'm kind of OCD enough that since it's so close I'd go with whatever CD would make it match the calendar date, lol! My AF has been starting like that too and it's really annoying.

capretta~Are you now actively TTC or just whatevering? Either way you have to let us know when you get a BFP!! Good luck and, um, have fun! :)

I switched over to night shift now, but luckily I'm like 5 DPO, so the time difference won't mess up my chart, lol! I ovulated on cd 15 which is really weird for me. Normally I O on cd 22, except the cycles I took this supplement that was a combination of vitex and B6, then I would O cd 14-16. I'm now completely vegetarian (no dairy or eggs in addition to no meat) and I make sure to drink an Emgeren-C packet every day to get plenty of B12, which veg*ns can be lacking. Between the Emergen-C and my multi-vit I end up taking 35 mg of B6 every day. So I guess it's actually the B6 that helped before, and not so much the vitex. I think I'm still a little funky post-mirena as I had no EWCM to speak of and my temp was slow to rise, so I'm definitley interested in what the next few cycles look like.

#9 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

capretta~Are you now actively TTC or just whatevering? Either way you have to let us know when you get a BFP!! Good luck and, um, have fun! :)

Heh. I'm not sure. headscratch.gif Since I've always been diligently avoiding pregnancy, any sort of not-TTA seems like TTC to me! Maybe that'll change after we've been at it for a while - I don't know, this is all uncharted BFPChart2.gif territory for me! lol.gif

#10 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Nicole~did you drink any alcohol and/or stay up later than usual on NYE or was it warmer in your house than usual? Or was there anything different than usual on the morning of the 31st (was the house cold or you were already awake before you temped?) I've noticed that for me my temp will jump up and down depending on how alseep I am when my alarm goes off-most of the time I will already be mostly awake by the time it goes off and my temps are fairly stable, but sometime I'll be full on dead to the world and for some reason my temp jumps up .3-.4 degrees. I guess I sleep hot or something?!

I was in a hotel on the night of the 30th and 31st. The temp was about the same time both nights and I was in my jammies. Didn't drink alcohol or anything. I temped after 3 hrs strait of sleep. I temp at random times and it doesn't typically affect my chart but I temped at the exact same time on the 31st and 1st. I did not get up before temping and temped right away before I was awake. My temp has stayed up, I took a hpt this morning and it is neg. My lp has not ever been this long for  a pp chart. (actually it has never been this long bcs I have a pp chart and then a pg chart then a pp chart...... etc.lol) Dh used condoms during my fertile phase (it is marked as an X on my chart) so I really think I am just waiting for af but that low temp thing was just weird.

#11 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I get some random temps some time that just leave me scratching my head. It'd be nice to have a little window to see exactly what's going on in there!

#12 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM

I was expecting af at about 10-11 dpo so when my temp dropped I was sure she was coming then nothing. Only time will tell, right. Those little windows would sure be handy for fertility, pregnancy, etc.

#13 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Is there any possible connection between having a cold and having lots of EWCM? As in...your body is making lots of other mucus, so it makes lots of CM too? Or is that just not possible? Last 2 cycles I've had crazy colds right around O time and have had TONS of EWCM...it felt like I just had mucus coming out of me everywhere! And sorry for the mental image. redface.gif

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#14 of 101 Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose it's possible. Are you taking anything for your cold? Some women take Mucinex or Robetussin to increase their CM.

#15 of 101 Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Happy new year, everyone! And guess who arrived with the new year? Yep, AF! About damn time, too. 48 day cycle, which is crazy-long for me. So definitely not pregnant. Never did get a clear O date last cycle, though. Too much going on, I guess. And I got frustrated so the week before Christmas, I didn't temp. I was a bit disappointed (because I do love babies) but it's good. Boyfriend and I had a long talk about it and we are definitely on the same page- the timing wouldn't be great but if I did get pregnant, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. :)

As for the bad timing- I got the job I was hoping to get! Which means a 45 min one-way commute until my lease is up in May. It is also my dream job- Head of the Children's Department in a public library. Big job, lots of responsibility. And moving. The job happens to be in my boyfriend's hometown and he is tired of where he lives now and is ready to go home. When I got the job, he said he was going with me. Now he's trying to buy a restaurant there. So, we have waaaay too much going on over the next few months!

Back to temping and charting and hopefully I'll have a prettier chart this month.

And Trish- a little window would be cool! :)

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#16 of 101 Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Wow, congrats on the job!!! I LOVE our library! We live 2 blocks away from it and there's nothing my kids love more than walking to the library and having a picnic lunch on the lawn outside afterwards while we peruse our books. What a cool job. I don't know how much authority you'll have... but I really wanted to make one big suggestion at our old (much bigger) library, and that was to remove all the computers from the kid's area! My kids ALWAYS wanted to just sit on the computers and play video games instead of looking at books. The library that's by our new house is tiny and has no computers in the kids area, but I love it because now the kids just curl up in a bean bag with some books and READ. Isn't that what the library is about??  Anyway, just my thoughts. =]

Sounds like you and your SO have lots of big changes and decisions coming up! I'm sure throwing a baby in there would be chaos, although maybe you could argue that one more piece of "chaos" wouldn't matter! =]  

We're back to our normal schedule now that DD has started school again, which means temping an hour earlier. I'm pretty close to O so I hope I can get a clear reading. Thought my temp had shifted yesterday but it was low again today. Do any of the rest of you have a certain temp that you're always below pre-O and above after O? Like I always know that before O I'll be under 97.7, but once I hit 97.7 I've usually O'd. Just wondering if you have that "magic number."

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#17 of 101 Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Opinions needed for obsessive reasons! LOL
Did I O on cd13 or 14? I had like zero EWCM this month so it was tough to tell. On advanced and FAM it has cd13 and it make my chart overlay look very similar to my preggo chart! Only on research does it give me cd14. I have also been having crazy pg symptoms - really sore boobs, Dh even commented on how different DTD feels - similar to awesome pregnancy sex! LOL A little nauseous today. I took a test figuring if it was early enough for these types of symptoms then should be for a potential BFP, but nothing. We only use withdrawal prior to O and while DH is very efficient and we follow the rules to a Tee, there is always a failure rate.
Thanks for weighing in with your opinions!
Here is on Advanced
chartgraph_module.php?d=2011-01-03&mode=a&ts=1294074390
with the chart overlay (the 2 greens being current and preggo 2008 chart)
?o=1&

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#18 of 101 Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

ok af showed up this morning at 13 dpo BUT my temp is still high. above 98.0 is post o temps for me typicall and definately the case this cycle. Shouldn't my temp drop BEFORE af arrives? This cycle has been so weird! http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/ttc3again

#19 of 101 Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Nicole~usually my temp drops right before AF but this cycle it stayed high until cd 3, although it dropped a little each day.

Jenn~Looking at your past charts it looks like that dip today could mean af is coming (although that looks like it's a bit early for you, no?) Or it could be an implantation dip. If it jumps up again tomorrow I'd test again in two days; you should have enough hcg in your urine for a hpt by then. I hope it works out whichever way you want it to.

librarygirl~YAY for the new job!! I hope everything works out well with moving and your boyfriend getting a new restaurant. It does dound like it will be a little crazy for a few months, but at least you have 9 before a baby comes, lol!

Um, so I guess the shift change did mess me up a bit...my temp today at 3 pm (vs 3 am) was 99.0! Of course it could be due to the fact that I had my heat turned up way higher than usual and I went to bed in sweat pants, a long sleeve shirt, AND socks (it was cold!) and usually I sleep in a sports bra and boy shorts. I'm just going to ignore that temp and see what it'slike tomorrow. At least I've already O'd.

#20 of 101 Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM

check out the temp rise today!!!huh.gif   EEP! BFN on a cheapie though.

chartgraph_module.php?d=2010-12-22

#21 of 101 Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's got to be nerve racking! Looking at some of your past charts it looks like there are a few cycles where your temp would drop, then jump up the day AF started. Hopefully that's the case this time.

#22 of 101 Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Hey ladies.  I'm back after a 3 week travel, holiday break. 

Trish  Here is a new link to my chart if you want update in the OP.

We are still CTA for another couple cycles at least -  but I am more in the wanting but waiting camp these days.

By the way I had absolutely no EWCM this cycle, I wonder if it was because I was pretty sick...

Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

#23 of 101 Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 AM

That's funny, fnpmama, because I had TONS of EWCM last cycle and I wondered if it was because I was sick.... orngtongue.gif

#24 of 101 Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post

That's funny, fnpmama, because I had TONS of EWCM last cycle and I wondered if it was because I was sick.... orngtongue.gif

Yeah,  no EWCM is pretty strange for me - maybe i haven't acutally ovulated yet, my temps are pretty erratic. I had to overide on TCOYF to get an ovulation date.

Also, did you take any Robitussin while sick? I heard it can increase EWCM.

Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

#25 of 101 Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM

No, I haven't taken any medication, only some immune support supplements. I think maybe I still haven't hit totally normal with my postpartum cycling. A day or two of EW would be great instead of the WEEK I've been having the last few cycles! Oh well.

#26 of 101 Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM

well AF has arrived. I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved. Either way, it was a very wonky cycle so glad it is over.

#27 of 101 Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnpmama View Post

Hey ladies.  I'm back after a 3 week travel, holiday break. 

Trish  Here is a new link to my chart if you want update in the OP.

We are still CTA for another couple cycles at least -  but I am more in the wanting but waiting camp these days.

By the way I had absolutely no EWCM this cycle, I wonder if it was because I was pretty sick...

We're technically CTA still, but every now and then Huz ignores the rules.  I mean he knows them, just intentionally disregards them.  Which is fine, since we're open to a new baby.  Well, I'm more open to it than he is, but its in his hands...literally. :wink

Add to that DD sleeping in her new big girl toddler bed for a portion of the night and we might be in trouble.  It is nice having a whole half of the bed to myself, but snuggling with a newborn is nice too.  Newborns can't kick you in the throat nearly as hard as 2 year olds. 

#28 of 101 Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Hello everyone.

It has been a while since I have visited this area. I was CTA 2 years ago  and found myself prego with DS2 through condom failure or user errorlove.gif

This time I am hoping to stick it out with you ladies a little longer lol

Just had my first PP AF and am ready to start charting again. I am also using a copper iud this time. That should not affect anything with my charting right?

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#29 of 101 Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello everyone! I asked some questions on the Nursing Mamas TTC thread and have decided to give CTA a try (for a while at least until we chart to TTC). I'm hating my IUD and have hated every other hormonal BC I've been on, so I'm really excited to get this thing out and start CTA! Yay for lack of hormones! 

So a couple of questions: How do I get my husband to actually trust the method? I'm reading TCOYF so I can figure it out and have trust in it, but my husband is put off by even using barrier instead of hormonal! I think he's afraid that we'll get pregnant before we mean to and at this point he's still wrapping his head around our planned TTC to begin with! 

Secondly, I've heard that everyone gets weird cycles for the first 3-ish months after taking out the IUD (part of the reason I'm getting it out so we can be good to go when starting TTC). Does this mean that I won't be able to predict things so I'll need to use a barrier method until things get back into sync? 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#30 of 101 Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Secondly, I've heard that everyone gets weird cycles for the first 3-ish months after taking out the IUD (part of the reason I'm getting it out so we can be good to go when starting TTC). Does this mean that I won't be able to predict things so I'll need to use a barrier method until things get back into sync? 

You would need to start charting right away but use a barrier method until ovulation is confirmed. If your cycles are weird or ovulation is hard to detect, you should continue to use condoms until you know what's going on!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page