Can anyone tell me about the Creighton Model? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 29 Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I quite NFP after my second daughter because it was too much hassle to temp every day with breastfeeding and babies up all night.  When my daughter started to wean, I began using cycle beads because I thought I was regular enough to rely on them.  After 6 months, I was pregnant.  Unfortunately, we miscarried, and now I'm returning to my normal AF.  My really awesome doctor recommended I try the Creighton model because it's very accurate and more convenient than temping.  However I have to take a class, which seems like a big hassle to me, when I'd much rather read a book and figure it out on my own.  That's what I did with NFP and I felt pretty comfortable with it.

 

Anyway, can anyone point me to online or book sources that explain the creighton model so I don't have to take the class?

 

Or does anyone use it and recommend that I DO take the class?

 

Thanks!

Laura

 

 


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#2 of 29 Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
 
lactatinggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Roy, Utah
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What is the Creighton Model? I'm planning on starting charting and am curious.


Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 
 
 
 
    

lactatinggirl is offline  
#3 of 29 Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's the website:  http://www.creightonmodel.com/ 

 

From what I can tell it is a mucus only method in which the woman checks the mucus every time she urinates, and determines each day her fertility.  Unlike the sympto-thermal method, you know when you are fertile, instead of finding out after you ovulate. 

 

That's all I know though, and the website doesn't give any details, only links to teachers.

 

 

 

 


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#4 of 29 Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
 
capretta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post

Here's the website:  http://www.creightonmodel.com/ 

 

From what I can tell it is a mucus only method in which the woman checks the mucus every time she urinates, and determines each day her fertility.  Unlike the sympto-thermal method, you know when you are fertile, instead of finding out after you ovulate. 

 

That's all I know though, and the website doesn't give any details, only links to teachers.



Uh, I thought sympto-thermal meant FAM using temp AND symptoms (cervical position and cervical mucus). There are a bunch of links in (incl. the one above to creighton and others for billings, NFP, and FAM) in at the top of the Charting to Avoid thread. HTH

capretta is offline  
#5 of 29 Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
 
fnpmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have used the sympto-thermal method and have looked into the creighton method, but have decided against it for now. 

Here is why -

From my research it seems there is no book on the creighton method, you have to take classes from a certified instructor.  Now they may give you materials at classes, but it seems pretty hard to come by those materials without paying for the classes.  It like they just don't want to give out information. I am sure there are good resons for it, but I would rather buy a book and compare Crieghton to what I am doing and then decide what method works for me.  BUt the classes do not work time and financially for our family at the moment.  Also my CM just isn't reliable and my temperature is.  I have EWCM frequently after ovulation through out my LP, and so with a CM only method, I am not sure how I would know I ovulated.

 

That being said I have 2 friends who have done the classes and prefer the Crieghton method because temping just didn't work for them.


Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

fnpmama is offline  
#6 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM
 
columbusmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Running
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use it! I got a book out from the library and copied the charts from it when I was trying to conceive DD. I would just check out a book or read the website, I don't see a need for the class....everything I read was easy to understand. From what I've always read, CM is the best way to determine ovulation, vs. temping and so forth.


Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
columbusmomma is offline  
#7 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
 
fnpmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post

I use it! I got a book out from the library and copied the charts from it when I was trying to conceive DD. I would just check out a book or read the website, I don't see a need for the class....everything I read was easy to understand. From what I've always read, CM is the best way to determine ovulation, vs. temping and so forth.



 

 What book??? I would love to know.  I had been looking into it but couldn't find one, and figured that they just didn't want people using the method without taking the classes.  But if there is a book for me learn more, that would be great!

 


Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

fnpmama is offline  
#8 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

Uh, I thought sympto-thermal meant FAM using temp AND symptoms (cervical position and cervical mucus). There are a bunch of links in (incl. the one above to creighton and others for billings, NFP, and FAM) in at the top of the Charting to Avoid thread. HTH


Sorry if I wasn't clear.  NFP/FAM/sympto-thermal methods use temp and symptoms (temping is not an option for me right now), but the Creighton model only relies on mucus (I think?).  The link above talks about the basics but doesn't give any charts/instruction, etc.  I was hoping there was a website somewhere that did, I'll check that thread to see if there are any others. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnpmama View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post

I use it! I got a book out from the library and copied the charts from it when I was trying to conceive DD. I would just check out a book or read the website, I don't see a need for the class....everything I read was easy to understand. From what I've always read, CM is the best way to determine ovulation, vs. temping and so forth.



 

 What book??? I would love to know.  I had been looking into it but couldn't find one, and figured that they just didn't want people using the method without taking the classes.  But if there is a book for me learn more, that would be great!

 

 

yes, this is my experience.  The book is nowhere to be found.  And the website doesn't give charts or information. 

 

I decided to sign up for the class.  I have two small kids and rarely a regular night sleep, so temping just isn't an option for me.  The materials are $40, and classes are additional.  Also, if you drop the class, you're supposed to return the materials.  Not sure why it's so secretive - seems like they'd want to get the word out?  I'll update here when I get the materials and have my class.  I'm having my introductory session on monday via skype - at least I can do it at home, and the lady seems really nice. 
 


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#9 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
 
capretta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  NFP/FAM/sympto-thermal methods use temp and symptoms (temping is not an option for me right now), but the Creighton model only relies on mucus (I think?).  The link above talks about the basics but doesn't give any charts/instruction, etc.  I was hoping there was a website somewhere that did, I'll check that thread to see if there are any others. 


OK. Just to clarify, I was trying to say that since FAM also pays attention to cervical mucus and position, it is possible to use them to predict ovulation, in addition to confirming it after the fact. I don't really know anything about Creighton or Billings except that I think they are both cervical mucus only (no temping). 

 

I know this is not what you asked for, but personally, I would read TCOYF if you haven't already - because it's an awesome, truly informative book - and then just use what ever subset of the methods she describes (cervical mucus, cervical position, temping, ovulation pain, OPK, etc.) you can or have interest in. My guess, having not studied Creighton or Billings, is that the basic idea behind all cervical mucus monitoring methods is pretty much the same.

capretta is offline  
#10 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
 
fnpmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post

 

I decided to sign up for the class.  I have two small kids and rarely a regular night sleep, so temping just isn't an option for me.  The materials are $40, and classes are additional.  Also, if you drop the class, you're supposed to return the materials.  Not sure why it's so secretive - seems like they'd want to get the word out?  I'll update here when I get the materials and have my class.  I'm having my introductory session on monday via skype - at least I can do it at home, and the lady seems really nice. 
 


Thanks so much, I would love to know just a little more about it. I had read "taking charge of your fertility" and "the art of natural family planning" prior to getting married just for my own knowledge so I thought Sympto thermal was the only method.  I didn't even know that there was a Crieghton model until it came up in a women's group I was in at my church, and a woman there was becoming a certified instructor.  Infact, she has offered to do classes with DH and I, but we now live pretty far away and it would be a tough commute. Skype is a great idea!

 

On the temping thing.  I have a 2.5 y/o and 1.5 y/o and get up fairly frequently through the night and have found that as long as I get 3 hrs sleep before I wake up for the day at 6am my temps seem to be just fine ( I mean - I see a clear temp shift almost every cycle).  I am over in the CTA thread and have gotten a lot of helpful advice and support here on MDC.

 

Oh and one more thing the basics of mucus monitoring are the same, I think.  But from how a friend who uses Creighton explained it to me there is a different type of scale for measuring/rating CM with Creighton - which possibly makes it more reliable.  Anyway...

 

Laura - thanks for this thread and keep me updated.

 

 

Kristen


Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

fnpmama is offline  
#11 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used it for two years and will start using it again soon. You can order the materials directly here: http://www.popepaulvi.com/estore.htm . At the library look up naprotechnology. I took classes with a teacher, I recommend it. The one I went to has a suggested donation of $20 per one hour private class. She gives classes to those that can't afford it for free. She actually does it all free and the money goes to the church to support their charitable work. I went with it because I have wacky sleep patterns and I know temping would never work for me. I worked wonderfully until I decided to take a vacation from my observations while on vacation away from my husband, I became pregnant a few days after I came back. I used a clearblue fertility monitor the first several months to be sure I was doing it correctly and it matched up every time. I used it on and off after that to make sure things were still on track. 

elus0814 is offline  
#12 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:

On the temping thing.  I have a 2.5 y/o and 1.5 y/o and get up fairly frequently through the night and have found that as long as I get 3 hrs sleep before I wake up for the day at 6am my temps seem to be just fine ( I mean - I see a clear temp shift almost every cycle).  I am over in the CTA thread and have gotten a lot of helpful advice and support here on MDC.

 

Oh and one more thing the basics of mucus monitoring are the same, I think.  But from how a friend who uses Creighton explained it to me there is a different type of scale for measuring/rating CM with Creighton - which possibly makes it more reliable.  Anyway...

 

Laura - thanks for this thread and keep me updated.

 

 

Kristen

No problem, Kristen.  I had read about the mucus only method, in one of those books, but my mucus seemed too weird to rely on.  My doctor also said that the Creighton method measures the mucus in a different way that makes it more reliable - so that sounds good to me.  And I guess makes it seem worth taking the class. 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

 I used a clearblue fertility monitor the first several months to be sure I was doing it correctly and it matched up every time. I used it on and off after that to make sure things were still on track. 


Thanks for the link, and the clear blue monitor sounds like a good idea.  I might try that after I get started. 


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#13 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM
 
ccknox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northeast IL
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I just came on this thread looking for NFP and breastfeeding info. I friend reccomnded the Creighton method. I emailed the closest teaching place to me but got no reply. Then I was searching again today and found The NaPro Technology Revolution book on amazon. Is this the right one? 

 

I will have no luck with temps as I've up nursing two kids all night long! I've read TCYF and had great luck with it to date pregnancy and such but I really need a break and don't just want a date right now and now feel the need to take a pg test every cycle like the last two! Three days of spotting now on day 2 of fertial mucus and tonight I've added uncomfortable nursing to the mix...I'm so not in love with my body right now!


Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

I took classes with a teacher, I recommend it.

 

How do I find a teacher?
 


Colleen, momma to Martha 5/23/06 :Ruth 11/1/08
ccknox is offline  
#14 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccknox View Post

How do I find a teacher?
 

 You can find a teacher here:  http://www.fertilitycare.org/  Look at the list on the left hand side.  They don't have to be in your town - mine is doing the classes over the phone and via skype. 
 


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#15 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have trouble finding a teacher you can call around to Catholic churches. We found out about it during our marriage prep classes. 

elus0814 is offline  
#16 of 29 Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 AM
 
columbusmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Running
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

darn I wish I could remember the name of that book! That was years ago when I read it!

Anyway, have you checked the website? They have the same charts online that the book did. You can learn from reading online.....lots of great info too!

www.woomb.org


Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
columbusmomma is offline  
#17 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
 
fnpmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post

darn I wish I could remember the name of that book! That was years ago when I read it!

Anyway, have you checked the website? They have the same charts online that the book did. You can learn from reading online.....lots of great info too!

www.woomb.org



I think this is the Billings method.  I am not sure it is the same as the Creighton model.  Does anyone know?

 


Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

fnpmama is offline  
#18 of 29 Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
JMJ
 
JMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Billings and Creighton are slightly different, but I couldn't tell you how.  I took an introductory class on Creighton.  The charts are stickers, red for bleeding, green for infertile, yellow for basic infertility pattern (all the time mucus), white for potentially fertile.  Count bleeding as potentially fertile.  Count any mucus as potentially fertile (unless you have all the time mucus).  Mark peak day as the last day of fertile mucus in a patch of mucus, and consider yourself potentially fertile for the next 4 days of drying up or dry.  Count any days with known seminal residue as potentially fertile, and wait for a dry day to consider yourself infertile again.  That's basically the simple version, but you could get a lot more information if you took a class.  They encourage you to abstain for an entire cycle before you start so that you can observe your cycle with no confounding factors.

 

It's basically all you've got to do NFP before your first PP period, but it's hard to confirm ovulation.  You can't really be sure you ovulated until you have a period.  With the sympto-thermal method, you can confirm ovulation by charting temperature as well.  If you dry up, and your temperature stays low, you know you haven't ovulated yet.  If you dry up with a temperature rise, you know you ovulated.  While bfing my DD, I did not chart until around 18 months when I had very fertile mucus for the first time since she was born.  I took my temperature at the same time every morning as best I could.  She still nurses 15-20 times most nights or just sleeps on the breast if I let her.  There were times the temping didn't work out so well, but I was able to tell when I was potentially fertile (most of 3 months straight) based on the above rules.  When I did actually ovulate, I had sore nipples when nursing, fertile mucus, and I had a clear temp shift coinciding with my dry-up.  If I had been charting mucus only, I would not ave known for sure whether I actually ovulated or was just back into breastfeeding infertility until I actually had a period.  By charting temp as well, I knew I had ovulated for sure.  I knew I hadn't ovulated and gotten pregnant before without knowing.  I knew my period might be starting or when I could take a pregnancy test.  Those don't really matter so much as far as when I would consider myself to be fertile, but they gave me just a little more information to give me peace of mind and save me money on pregnancy tests.

 

The most research has been done on CM, and if you want to count on that one symptom alone, the Creighton folks know more about it than anyone.  The Pope Paul VI Institute (Creigton) also came up with NaPro technology to naturally treat infertility.  They have several physicians trained to look at your Creigton charts to determine what health problems you may be facing and to fix those health problems so that you can conceive naturally.  They are highly successful, more successful than IVF for a fraction of the cost usually.  I would guess that the book listed above is about NaPro technology more than the Creigton method, though they are connected.  In any case, if temping isn't working out for you, Creighton is a great alternative that has also proven to be highly effective.  Personally, I'd rather have whatever imperfect information I get from temping after nursing throughout the night, and I was surprised how clear my temping information was wen I actually got down to ovulating.  I've had some temperature spikes without ovulating, but then the temp slowly goes back down instead of continuing up, and there's no dry up.  Just wait an extra day if it looks confusing.... or post your chart for the chart stalkers to pick apart.

augustashley and capretta like this.
JMJ is offline  
#19 of 29 Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM
 
fnpmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Billings and Creighton are slightly different, but I couldn't tell you how.  I took an introductory class on Creighton.  The charts are stickers, red for bleeding, green for infertile, yellow for basic infertility pattern (all the time mucus), white for potentially fertile.  Count bleeding as potentially fertile.  Count any mucus as potentially fertile (unless you have all the time mucus).  Mark peak day as the last day of fertile mucus in a patch of mucus, and consider yourself potentially fertile for the next 4 days of drying up or dry.  Count any days with known seminal residue as potentially fertile, and wait for a dry day to consider yourself infertile again.  That's basically the simple version, but you could get a lot more information if you took a class.  They encourage you to abstain for an entire cycle before you start so that you can observe your cycle with no confounding factors.

 

It's basically all you've got to do NFP before your first PP period, but it's hard to confirm ovulation.  You can't really be sure you ovulated until you have a period.  With the sympto-thermal method, you can confirm ovulation by charting temperature as well.  If you dry up, and your temperature stays low, you know you haven't ovulated yet.  If you dry up with a temperature rise, you know you ovulated.  While bfing my DD, I did not chart until around 18 months when I had very fertile mucus for the first time since she was born.  I took my temperature at the same time every morning as best I could.  She still nurses 15-20 times most nights or just sleeps on the breast if I let her.  There were times the temping didn't work out so well, but I was able to tell when I was potentially fertile (most of 3 months straight) based on the above rules.  When I did actually ovulate, I had sore nipples when nursing, fertile mucus, and I had a clear temp shift coinciding with my dry-up.  If I had been charting mucus only, I would not ave known for sure whether I actually ovulated or was just back into breastfeeding infertility until I actually had a period.  By charting temp as well, I knew I had ovulated for sure.  I knew I hadn't ovulated and gotten pregnant before without knowing.  I knew my period might be starting or when I could take a pregnancy test.  Those don't really matter so much as far as when I would consider myself to be fertile, but they gave me just a little more information to give me peace of mind and save me money on pregnancy tests.

 

The most research has been done on CM, and if you want to count on that one symptom alone, the Creighton folks know more about it than anyone.  The Pope Paul VI Institute (Creigton) also came up with NaPro technology to naturally treat infertility.  They have several physicians trained to look at your Creigton charts to determine what health problems you may be facing and to fix those health problems so that you can conceive naturally.  They are highly successful, more successful than IVF for a fraction of the cost usually.  I would guess that the book listed above is about NaPro technology more than the Creigton method, though they are connected.  In any case, if temping isn't working out for you, Creighton is a great alternative that has also proven to be highly effective.  Personally, I'd rather have whatever imperfect information I get from temping after nursing throughout the night, and I was surprised how clear my temping information was wen I actually got down to ovulating.  I've had some temperature spikes without ovulating, but then the temp slowly goes back down instead of continuing up, and there's no dry up.  Just wait an extra day if it looks confusing.... or post your chart for the chart stalkers to pick apart.


Thanks so much that was incredibly helpful :-)


Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

fnpmama is offline  
#20 of 29 Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
 
sienamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this question was from two years ago, but I'm just seeing it now! Anyway, my hubby and I have been using the Creighton Method for two years now, but we began charting about six months before our wedding (we saved making love for marriage).

 

We LOVE this method of charting and it helped us conceive our baby when we wanted to. As to why you can't find much information online to teach the method to yourself--this is to basically protect the effectiveness rate of NFP. When taught by an instructor, the effectiveness rate for NFP (and Creighton specifically) is something like 99.5%--it's an amazingly strong method for either preventing or achieving pregnancy. The founders of the method are passionate about ensuring that those who learn the method learn it correctly from an instructor--and learn it right, so that it can be that effective for you too.

 

By going to an instructor, we were able to ask questions while we were charting--and there were so many questions. But our instructor was so patient with us, looking at our chart and helping us determine what my patterns of irregular mucus meant, what we should do in times of stress (and possible "double peak" ovulation), and what to do once seminal fluid was introduced. I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in NFP find a certified instructor. It will ensure that you use the Creighton method correctly. I just moved to a new city and have found a few instructors through local Catholic churches who often have introductory classes on Creighton. 

 

It's totally worth the money, which is very little when compared to the ongoing costs of artificial hormonal contraception or barrier contraception. And, it's so healthy for your marriage. Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox. smile.gif  

texasfarmom likes this.
sienamom is offline  
#21 of 29 Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
lollie2357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienamom View Post

I know this question was from two years ago, but I'm just seeing it now! Anyway, my hubby and I have been using the Creighton Method for two years now, but we began charting about six months before our wedding (we saved making love for marriage).

 

No, it's okay - the question was just asked last month.   Thanks for the information from all of you.  I took my introductory class last week.  It does seem very similar to Billings, but she said it's standardized (not sure exactly what that entails), and you can show your chart to your doctor to help with other  gyn health concerns.  I'm beginning to feel that have a teacher ensure that I am understanding it all correctly is really worth it. 

 

JMJ - I'm a little confused by what you're saying about the temping being more precise.  The way my teacher explained it, it is less precise.  Hmmm...  Looks like I'm still figuring it out. 

 

But, whatever. it seems like it will work best for me.  Thanks, all.


Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

lollie2357 is offline  
#22 of 29 Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
JMJ
 
JMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:

JMJ - I'm a little confused by what you're saying about the temping being more precise.  The way my teacher explained it, it is less precise.  Hmmm...  Looks like I'm still figuring it out.



Your teacher is correct that CM is more precise than temperature to tell the fertile times.  However, it is even more precise to use a combination of temperature and CM.  CM alone is quite effective, though.  In certain circumstances (breastfeeding, menopause, etc), when there may be patches of mucus and then dry without ovulating, CM alone will not be able to tell you that you have ovulated until you actually have a period.  CM + temperature can tell you that you have ovulated within a few days.  For people who are very seriously avoiding pregnancy, knowing for sure that you did actually ovulate and that you are in post-ovulation fertility is very comforting.  For people who are seeking pregnancy and are having irregular cycles with mucus patches, it is helpful to know which mucus patch resulted in conception in order to have an accurate due date.  That said, with very precise Creighton charting, there is a lot you can know just from mucus, and with proper training in charting and interpreting, you could probably figure it out.

JMJ is offline  
#23 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
 
ceibastudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FYI- Right now the University of Utah is conducting an international study to assess the effectiveness of the Creighton Model. They are enrolling participants who are new or return-users of the Creighton Model until October 2011. Not only will you be learning about your own fertility, but you will also be contributing to important research that will help future users of Creighton Model.

 

Here is the link if you are interested: http://medicine.utah.edu/dfpm/Research/CEIBA/interested.htm

You can also find the study on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ceibastudy

ceibastudy is offline  
#24 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
 
lactatinggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Roy, Utah
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh that sounds interesting! I even live in Utah! Sadly though, I plan on TTC in a few months. :-/


Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 
 
 
 
    

lactatinggirl is offline  
#25 of 29 Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
 
ceibastudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spread the word to any friends who might be interested!

 

However, you might still qualify. To be join the study your intention must be to avoid for at least one month. After that, your intention can change. If you want more information feel free to contact us at ceibastudy@gmail.com. We would love to answer any questions. Thanks for taking a look!

ceibastudy is offline  
#26 of 29 Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 PM
 
lilacvioletiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 3,042
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Interesting information.  A research project is encouraging for new information as well.

 

 


Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
lilacvioletiris is offline  
#27 of 29 Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Amanda Shoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We use the Creighton Method and LOVE it.  I tried Sympto-thermal back in college before we got married/were "intimate" and even then it wasn't working out.  5am soccer practice vs. late classes meant that I never got up at the same time, so my temps were all screwy!

Fast-forward about two years and a friend of mine introduced us to Creighton.  SSssssoooooo much better!  The reason a class is necessary is because it's "standardized."  That means that they back up their 99.9999999% success rate to users being super knowledgeable because they are guided by an instructor who can answer questions, thus pretty much eliminating user error/misinterpretation of instructions.  The class is not bad in my opinion time-wise.  It's on an individual couple basis and as you learn,  your meetings get spaced out until you only meet maybe once a year for a follow-up IF you need it (it's helpful after 9 months of not charting due to being pregnant!)  It's also helpful after birth in regard to breast-feeding (or not) and how to ensure that you won't get pregnant again right away (if your desire is to avoid pregnancy).

Long story short, I would totally go Creighton Method!  It involves checking cervical mucus before and after you pee (on a piece of toilet paper NOT via internal exam with finger!)  There are more types of mucus that you ever though possible, but the method breaks them down into fertile vs. non-fertile and once you learn the initial pieces, it's very easy!  This method is also awesome if you don't have the average person's sleep schedule or if your sleeping varies (from working some night shifts or something).  Sympto-thermal wouldn't work for those people, but Creighton Method counts your "end of day" as whenever you lay down to take the most hours of sleep for that 24 hour period.  (no pun intended)...... Hope that helps and HAPPY CHARTING!

 

 

 

Amanda Shoe is offline  
#28 of 29 Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Jillio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sienamom View Post

I know this question was from two years ago, but I'm just seeing it now! Anyway, my hubby and I have been using the Creighton Method for two years now, but we began charting about six months before our wedding (we saved making love for marriage).

 

We LOVE this method of charting and it helped us conceive our baby when we wanted to. As to why you can't find much information online to teach the method to yourself--this is to basically protect the effectiveness rate of NFP. When taught by an instructor, the effectiveness rate for NFP (and Creighton specifically) is something like 99.5%--it's an amazingly strong method for either preventing or achieving pregnancy. The founders of the method are passionate about ensuring that those who learn the method learn it correctly from an instructor--and learn it right, so that it can be that effective for you too.

 

By going to an instructor, we were able to ask questions while we were charting--and there were so many questions. But our instructor was so patient with us, looking at our chart and helping us determine what my patterns of irregular mucus meant, what we should do in times of stress (and possible "double peak" ovulation), and what to do once seminal fluid was introduced. I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in NFP find a certified instructor. It will ensure that you use the Creighton method correctly. I just moved to a new city and have found a few instructors through local Catholic churches who often have introductory classes on Creighton. 

 

It's totally worth the money, which is very little when compared to the ongoing costs of artificial hormonal contraception or barrier contraception. And, it's so healthy for your marriage. Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox. smile.gif  

I LOVE your "soapbox" I am a new Creighton Model Fertility Care Practitoner in California and you hit the nail on the head explaining the system as well as the value of the instructor. I initially learned the Sympto-thermal method which is great but I have fallen in love with the Creighton Model System.  If someone is debating the idea I strongly recommend checking it out. 

Jillio is offline  
#29 of 29 Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
 
inthemeadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me and my DH started out with the Billings method but found it difficult to learn. Part of this was certainly due to communication problems between myself and the instructor. After a few frustrating months, we switched to Creighton. The main difference was that Creighton method provided very clear, specific things to watch for with the CM, and a very specific way to check for CM. Billings requires the woman to interpret it based on general guidelines, and I found it was too difficult for the instructor (and me) to interpret my fertility, even after 3 months of charting. After switching to CrMS, I was immediately more confident with my charting.

 

The main drawback with CrMS versus Billings is how strict you need to be in the manner you take the CM observations. It does take some getting used to, to build the habit. I could see a woman preferring Billings if she was more comfortable using her own interpretations and observation method. But my confidence level in CrMS is way, way higher. We did have to pay again for the materials and go through the training again, but our CrMS instructor is fantastic, and got us through the material as quick as possible. Oh, also, I've been told that Billings has better smartphone aps than CrMS!

 

The main drawback with CrMS overall is the abstinence during fertile times eyesroll.gif Of course you can choose to use a barrier method, but there are strong cautions about higher pregnancy rates when using condoms (etc) instead of abstaining during fertile days. I personally haven't used condoms during my fertile days while charting, yet. But for the past few years my DH and I used condoms exclusively, without charting, and certainly during my fertile times, and we never had any issues.

 

Another thing to be aware of is that both Billings and CrMS come from a Christian background. If you're not Christian, you can certainly still learn the techniques for either method and use it for effective fertility planning. If you are, you may find the extra dimension of religion a welcome source of support as you learn the process with your partner.

 

That's my 2 cents wink1.gif End of the day, I've been charting CrMS for the last 2 cycles and I can see myself using it for years.

inthemeadow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off