Natural spermicide? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering if anyone has made/used any and if they liked it? Right now ds is 6 months and I am so not ready for another, we have 4. We have always used condoms buts lets face it they SUCK! I do have a diaphragm but don't like the nasty chemicals they recommend to use. Thanks much!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM

I have heard of women using lemon juice. But I have never tried it!

I use VCF which is a spermicide film, it is much less gooey than the gel or cream that a diaphragm uses, although still has the nonoxonyl spermicide chemical. And, I think using just spermicide is comparably effective to using the diaphragm plus spermicide.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM

I'm interested as well.  I loved using my diaphragm, but had to stop because I found out I was allergic to latex.  HOWEVER, I've discovered that they now make diaphragms in silicone!  So I plan to make an appointment w/the GYN to get fitted again!  :)

Some previous posts on MDC regarding natural spermicide can be found here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/42295/natural-contraceptives-preferred

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1143258/i-need-a-natural-spermicide-w-o-milk-in-it

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1034470/anyone-use-a-fem-cap

That last one also has a link to a yahoo community that has a bunch of info on natural & homemade spermicides.  Also, a google search for "natural spermicide" will bring up a number of informative pages (though most are just a rehash of the yahoo link).

Some of the women who replied in the above posts seem to have had success using homemade spermicides!  Maybe you could msg them directly (though I'd rather they came here & shared!).  I hope some more people post about their experiences using natural spermicide or homemade spermicide!

While my cycle's not exactly regular, it *IS* pretty, um, obvious?  Heh, my partner now tells me when I'm PMSing - he notices before I do these days!  My cervical mucus also changes a lot and makes itself pretty well-known.  So, I plan to pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOFY - took me FOREVER to figure out what that acronym was!) to make certain I'm reading my body's signs right.  I think between that & using a diaphragm, I should be good at avoiding pregnancy.  I have HORRIBLE reactions to nonoxonyl-9 (or however you spell it), so we used to just use the plain diaphragm with P&P. ;)  I'd like to try it with honey & lemon, or aloe & lemon this time around.

Anyone have thoughts on using coconut oil as the carrier for the lemon juice?  Since the diaphragm I plan to get is silicone, I don't have to worry about the oil breaking it down.  CO is supposed to help with yeast & such, and is supposed to also work well as a lube.  I was curious if it could do double duty in this instance, helping me from getting an infection from my levels being off from having sex at all AND help prevent pregnancy by being a "holder" for the lemon juice?  Maybe it wouldn't even mix together anyway...

In my reading, apparently some women just stick a slice of lemon up there prior to intercourse!  Yikes!

Good luck!!

User Tag List