One and Done - Permanent BC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my DD is 18 months old. DH and I have talked about this extensively since she was born, and we both feel that one child is enough for us. I'm 27 and he's 28, btw.

Would it be considered premature to look into permanent BC options for me or him?

I feel like I really really don't want another child. One is perfect. I'm not sure an oops would be well received at all.

Thoughts?

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#2 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM

I had my first at 27 and thought I was done...! Sooooo glad I didn't make any drastic choices. You just don't know what your life is going to be like in 15 years. I never did anything permanent, and never had an oops. It can be done. 

If you go permanent I'd let him do it.

#3 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM

If it were me, I would look into other bc options (iud perhaps) before deciding to be done for good. I had my ds 7 years ago and thought for sure I was done. I was a single mama for years and really didn't want any more babies. Then I met dh and we decided that ds was good, we didn't need any more babies. But we didn't do anything permanent. Then last year (in 2010) I suddenly decided I wanted 1 more. DH was on board too, thankfully. We sure are glad we didn't do anything permanent!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Along with the PP, I would suggest looking into an IUD or at MOST a vasectomy.  I was permanantly sterilized when I thought I was done- I was so sure I was done, talking me out of a tubal was NOT an option.  And I was wrong- and it was costly, and time consuming.  Right now, only one child may be what you know you want, but in 5 years you may know you want something different.  If either party is going to b sterilized have it be him. Its a much smaller procedure and recovery is not enarly what it is with a tubal, plus its easier to reverse if you ever change your mind.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#5 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Personally I wouldn't look at permanent BC just yet...you never know what might happen down the track!

I have 2 beautiful children...but as far as I'm concerned I don't want any more (1 would have been enough I reckon, but number 2 was an accident redface.gif). However, because I don't want to do anything permanent just yet, I'm looking into a uterine implant called the Mirena. I have a few family members who have used it and they reckon it's great - it lasts 5 years. Just do a quick search on Google for it and the main website should come up.

#6 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Never say never , you don´t know , what will happen in 10 years or so .

And I would keep that option open for myself , just in case !

Even if you end up , never wanting anymore kids , if you cut that option altogether , you will not even have the chance if you change your mind .

So , at your age , I would definitely NOT do anything permanent quite yet

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmmommy79 View Post

Personally I wouldn't look at permanent BC just yet...you never know what might happen down the track!

I have 2 beautiful children...but as far as I'm concerned I don't want any more (1 would have been enough I reckon, but number 2 was an accident redface.gif). However, because I don't want to do anything permanent just yet, I'm looking into a uterine implant called the Mirena. I have a few family members who have used it and they reckon it's great - it lasts 5 years. Just do a quick search on Google for it and the main website should come up.

If you are at all sensitive to hormonal BC, don't do Mirena! I had an awful time on it. Extremely low sex drive, acne, weight I couldn't lose. I'm so happy I'm finally done with that thing!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page