Charting to Avoid / Fertility Awareness-February - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to a new month, new year, and new thread keeper (I hope I don't mess this up!)

blowkiss.gif February 2011 blowkiss.gif

Last Month's Thread 

Welcome to the February 2011 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in January, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in February if you want to be on the March list!

To those who are new, welcome! Welcome.gif

Who We Are

Angelorum

badgerbaby

Barefoot Girl

cecelia7

Devaya

eirual

emma00

fnpmama BFPChart2.gif

goinggreengirl BFPChart2.gif (CTA 3 months) 
HulaJenn BFPChart2.gif (CTA since May 2009)

jenmegc

JMJ
justKate BFPChart2.gif (CTA since November 2010)

Juste Leblanc BFPChart2.gif
lactatinggirl

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif  (CTA 25 cycles)

mommy2two babes

phathui5

RavaAvis BFPChart2.gif

SamiPolizzi

starsprouts
theboysmama BFPChart2.gif
Toolip BFPChart2.gif

TrishWSU BFPChart2.gif (CTA 27 months)

Graduates

Pregnant! belly.gif

OSUvet (Feb. 2011)
echospiritwarrior (Feb. 2011)
lyterae (Feb. 2011)
dex_millie (Feb. 2011)
annie2186 (April 2011)
katiedidbug (May 2011)
BarefootScientist (June 2011)
Smokering (June 2011)

AnnieA (July 2011)

shells_n_cheese (July 2011)
Baby_Cakes

MovingMomma

capretta (October 2011)

No Longer TTA

jeninejessica BFPChart2.gif

LionessMom BFPChart2.gif

Mummoth BFPChart2.gif

Good luck to those now TTC! fingersx.gif

Summary of FAM Rules

(sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry Day Rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak Day Rule: The last day of fertile mucus is called the peak day (the day before your mucus begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucus appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature Shift Rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2° F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1° F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility
 by Katie Singer
Honoring Our Cycles (workbook) by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites

TCOYF (Ovusoft) charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Garden of Fertility author Katie Singer's website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations

AF: Aunt Flo, menses, your period
BBT: basal body temperature
BC: birth control
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: cycle day
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CHs: crosshairs (intersection of coverline and ovulation)
CL: coverline
CM: cervical mucus (same as CF)
CO: cervical opening
CP: cervical position
CTA: charting to avoid
CTW: charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: days past ovulation
DTD: do the dead (sex)
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucus/fluid
FAM: fertility awareness method
FF: Fertility Friend (website, see above)
HBC: hormonal birth control
HTL: high temp level (0.4°F above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)
LAM: lactational amenorrhea method (breastfeeding as birth control)
LP: luteal phase (between ovulation and menses, average 10-16 days)
LTL: low temp level (highest of the 6 temps immediately before temp rise)
NFP: natural family planning
O: ovulation
SHOW: soft, high, open, wet (characteristics of the cervix near ovulation)
SR: seminal residue
TCOYF: Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book and website, see above)
TTA: trying to avoid
TTW: trying to whatever
other common abbreviations

Happy Charting Everyone!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#2 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

And now you have the February thread!! Welcome to a new month!

I've been totally lazy about charting this last cycle-no temps, just tracking cm/cp. I haven't even done that since like 4 DPO. Oh well, I have nothing to avoid right now so I'm just trying to keep track of my cycle more or less.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Does it make me hugely dorky to chart on FF and on paper?  At work?  geek.gif

022.JPG

#4 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Hey all! I started my period the day we moved to our new town. Thankfully I knew where the tampons were packed! Also, hormones on top of moving stress is not fun! Poor DH.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#5 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so WTF?! AF just decided to show up...4 days early! That means I only had a 24 day cycle, so not cool!

#6 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM

First full pp cycle done. Af came yesterday cd 41 and joined me on vacation in Florida. 8 day leuteal phase.
Same as my first few pp cycles after ds1

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#7 of 68 Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the new thread!! 

#8 of 68 Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post

First full pp cycle done. Af came yesterday cd 41 and joined me on vacation in Florida. 8 day leuteal phase.

For those of you who charted the return of fertility, how long did it take once you started your period to get normal, fertile cycles back?  I had an 8 day LP before my first PP period and another 8 day LP in my first full PP cycle.  How old was you baby when you went back to normal?  I was hoping to TTC pretty soon, but I'm CTA so I'm not worrying about miscarriages due to inadequate LP's.  How many days in your LP would you consider to be fertile?  I'm thinking that 10 is probably enough, but I'd rather have 12+.

#9 of 68 Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post

For those of you who charted the return of fertility, how long did it take once you started your period to get normal, fertile cycles back?  I had an 8 day LP before my first PP period and another 8 day LP in my first full PP cycle.  How old was you baby when you went back to normal?  I was hoping to TTC pretty soon, but I'm CTA so I'm not worrying about miscarriages due to inadequate LP's.  How many days in your LP would you consider to be fertile?  I'm thinking that 10 is probably enough, but I'd rather have 12+.

This is only my third cycle charting temps but the past two have had 10 and 11 day LPs. This is my 5th cycle since I got my first PP AF when baby was 4 months. (I was REALLY hoping for longer!)

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#10 of 68 Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Hiya. OK, Trish, you can move me. First month not CTA produced this chart!
#11 of 68 Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capretta View Post

Wow, congratulations!!  jumpers.gif

JMJ, I have had 5 PP cycles since DD's birth 2 years ago (almost exactly!) and only the last two have been clearly ovulatory.  Last cycle, 11 day LP; previous cycle, ~15 day LP.  Things are still trying to even out, it seems....

#12 of 68 Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Last time ds1 was 20 mos or so and it took me 4 pp ovulatory cycles with a short lf until I got a normal 12 day Lf. That is when my cycle shortened to a more normal for me 29 days.

Ds 2 is only 15 mos but af is back greensad.gif

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#13 of 68 Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Does it make me hugely dorky to chart on FF and on paper?  At work?  geek.gif

I love charting on paper. notes.gif  I like having something concrete in my hands... and I just enjoy paper and pens, lol. But I also use FF just for the "back up" and help detecting O. So if that's dorky, we can be dorky together. winky.gif

Quote:

I'm on my 4th PP cycle, my LP's have been 7 days, 9 days and 12 days, respectively. So I'm pretty sure I'm back to normal! Although my normal LP is 11 days or 13 days, so I tend to have shorter ones anyways and it hasn't affected my ability to get pregnant.

Quote:

joy.gif  Holy cow! That was easy. thumb.gif

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#14 of 68 Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With my DD I only had a 6 day LP, but still managed to get pregnant, and with one of my surrogate babies my LP was only 9 days. It's "better" to have at least a 10 day LP, but you can still get pregnant if it's shorter.

I need to look into increasing my LP again. Last cycle was 25 days with a 9 day LP, this one was 24 days with an 8 day LP. I don't like the way this is going (not to mention it sucks to AF show up that soon!) I'm going to see what happens this cycle before doing anything. I'm still thinking my hormones are a little off from the Mirena.

Quote:

AHiya. OK, Trish, you can move me. First month [I]not[/I] CTA produced [URL=http://www.tcoyf.com/members/capretta/charts/6.aspx]this chart[/URL]!

Yay, yay YAY!! Huge congrats!! So that makes an Ocotber baby?

#15 of 68 Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM

So my 4.5 year old DS was standing outside the bathroom door earlier while I was using the toilet and he saw me check my CM... he says, "Is that snot?!" and I said "Noooo" but decided not to go into more explanation unless he asked.  He stood there quietly thinking for a minute and then said, "Oh, are boys and girls different?" I said "yeah, they are." He just nodded and walked away, end of story! lol.gif  DD1 at 11 years old already has WAY more of a clear idea of how women's cycles work than I did at that age (or even into my 20's!), and I think the boys probably will be pretty knowledgeable too! Hopefully they'll be good at helping their wives chart someday.

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#16 of 68 Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Hello! Can I join in the fun?

I just started charting a few days ago. I started in the middle of my cycle, so I'm not taking it super seriously right now, I'm just sort of getting used to taking my temperature in the morning. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be! I have a toddler in my bed wiggling all over the place and wanting to nurse like crazy in the morning. 

I'm not even sure if I'm going to have any sort of "normal" cycles at this point. I had my first PP AF about 3 months ago. After that I had all sort of random bleeding and my midwife put me on provera for 10 days, the result of which was about a week straight of bleeding. That was about 2 weeks ago, so now I'm really hoping things will return to normal (whatever that is.) I feel very enlightened after reading TCOYF and I can't wait to have some insight into what my body is doing every month.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#17 of 68 Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 AM

Trish: Yup, beginning of October.

Happy charting to all!
#18 of 68 Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM

wondering if anyone can help - i am about to be a charter - charting to avoid now, and get familiar with it - will be ttc over the summer - anyway this is my question:

my nursling wakes up during the night, not a ton, he is almost 2, but a few times, then for sure usually around 6, but we go back to sleep, then up for the day around 8 - which time do i take my temp? 6 or 8? thanks! 

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#19 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM

Do you usually get a 3 hour stretch prior to the 6:00 waking?  If so, I'd use that one.   Just before my DD weaned, she would wake at 10-11 (when I went to sleep), then at 2 or 3, then again around 6:30.  If your pattern is anything like that, I'd go with the 6:00 waking. I end up setting an alarm because I've found that an hour  or so difference does make a big difference in my temps.  It doesn't for everyone though.

#20 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirpmama View Post

wondering if anyone can help - i am about to be a charter - charting to avoid now, and get familiar with it - will be ttc over the summer - anyway this is my question:

my nursling wakes up during the night, not a ton, he is almost 2, but a few times, then for sure usually around 6, but we go back to sleep, then up for the day around 8 - which time do i take my temp? 6 or 8? thanks! 

IMO it probably doesn't matter that much (as long as you don't get out of bed at 6am) which time you take your temp, as long as that's the time that you *always* take your temp. I set my alarm for 6:30am every day (even weekends when I don't have to get up at that time - I just take my temp and go back to sleep) and sometimes my nursling will have woken up to nurse around 6am. I still take my temp at 6:30 and it doesn't seem to throw anything off.

#21 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 AM

thanks for the advice! i think i will do the 6:00 time and she how that goes. is there a window on exact time? like 20 minutes or so, or does it need to be the exact, exact? thanks again!!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#22 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 AM
JMJ

Most people don't have a problem if it's within a 30 min window.  I take my temp at 7, +20 or -10 minutes.  Usually, it's pretty close to 7, though.

#23 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I don't think it has to be *exact*. +/- 20 minutes shouldn't make a difference. I think in TCOYF she says something about less than 30 minutes difference???

#24 of 68 Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks! We shall begin our charting adventure tomorrow!!! :D

#25 of 68 Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM

So as far as delayed ovulation goes...

How long would you expect travel to delay it?  I was expecting to O around CD15/16 (consistent w/last 2 cycles, watery CM, out of control sex drive), but temps continue to fall.  We were traveling CD12-16, but nothing stressful.  Now CM is getting less fertile.  Will my body have to gear up again, or will I just pop an egg out here shortly?  Obviously still considering myself fertile until I O. What do you all think?

2-9-11 chart.JPG

#26 of 68 Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Hey Ladies!  I am still here CTA!  We are thinking about TTC again in the Fall so I still have another seven months to go. 

JustKate - you will probably O soon!  Do you check your cervix?  Hopefully your temp goes up soon, delayed O is annoying (I had the same thing happen last month when traveling).  I had continuous EWCM and was delayed 3 days.   

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#27 of 68 Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Yep, you're right, this morning my temp popped up to 97.2.  I just needed to be patient!

For those that chart on paper--is there any where to get charts that go below 97*?  I use the TCOYF paper chart in addition to FF, but it only goes 97*--99*, and I really need something like 96.5--98.5.  Any suggestions?

#28 of 68 Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
JMJ

This one allows you to chart down to 96.6F and up to 99.  You could also just adjust the scale on any paper chart you like.  Just cross out the numbers and write in ones that work better for you.

#29 of 68 Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 AM

Speaking of wake-up times. . .

Lord --- here's a cautionary chart!   We decided to start getting up about 2 hours earlier around CD 14 (I usually O around CD 17).  now my chart is pretty wonky -- I didn't mark the times, thinking that my shift would be clear enough. . . but it's not really.  FF seems to be convinced, but what do you ladies think?  It seems inconclusive to me. . . http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28389c

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#30 of 68 Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
JMJ

The first dip and coming back up is your body adjusting to the new time.  Beyond that, it does look inconclusive to me as well.  You don't have very much CM information noted.  Did you just have CM the one day?  Are you completely dry now?  If so, I'd say since you've been dry for more than 4 days, you could probably consider yourself to be infertile, but don't ignore any fertility signs if they return.  A few more days, and things will likely be a little more clear... but I know, it's Valentine's Day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page