Mothering Forum banner

Charting to Avoid / Fertility Awareness-March

3K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  justKate 
#1 ·
shamrocksmile.gif
March 2011
shamrocksmile.gif

Last Month's Thread

Welcome to the March 2011 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); some are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are "whatevering" or pregnant and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in February, you may have been deleted from the list. If you have joined recently, please double check I have your chart linked correctly. If you were mistakenly deleted, you would like to be added/removed, or you spot anything you would like me to change, please post or PM me to let me know. Remember, you must post in March if you want to be on the April list!

To those who are new, welcome!
Welcome.gif

Who We Are

Angelorum

badgerbaby

Barefoot Girl

Brighids Flame BFPChart2.gif

Carlyle

cecelia7

Devaya BFPChart2.gif

Eaglevoice

eirual

emma00

fnpmama BFPChart2.gif

goinggreengirl BFPChart2.gif (CTA 3 months)
HulaJenn BFPChart2.gif (CTA since May 2009)

jenmegc BFPChart2.gif

JMJ
justKate BFPChart2.gif (CTA since November 2010)

Juste Leblanc BFPChart2.gif
lactatinggirl

librarygirl BFPChart2.gif

mirpmama BFPChart2.gif

miss_honeyb BFPChart2.gif (CTA 25 cycles)

mommy2two babes

phathui5

Pumpkin_Pie BFPChart2.gif

RavaAvis BFPChart2.gif

SamiPolizzi

starsprouts

Stefibeth BFPChart2.gif
theboysmama BFPChart2.gif
Toolip BFPChart2.gif

TrishWSU BFPChart2.gif (CTA 27 months)

Graduates

Pregnant!
belly.gif

OSUvet (Feb. 2011)
echospiritwarrior (Feb. 2011)
lyterae (Feb. 2011)
dex_millie (Feb. 2011)
annie2186 (April 2011)
katiedidbug (May 2011)
BarefootScientist (June 2011)
Smokering (June 2011)

AnnieA (July 2011)

shells_n_cheese (July 2011)
Baby_Cakes
MovingMomma

capretta (October 2011)

No Longer TTA

jeninejessica BFPChart2.gif

LionessMom BFPChart2.gif

Mummoth BFPChart2.gif

Good luck to those now TTC!
fingersx.gif

Summary of FAM Rules

(sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry Day Rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak Day Rule: The last day of fertile mucus is called the peak day (the day before your mucus begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucus appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature Shift Rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2° F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1° F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer
Honoring Our Cycles (workbook) by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites

TCOYF (Ovusoft) charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Garden of Fertility author Katie Singer's website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations

AF: Aunt Flo, menses, your period
BBT: basal body temperature
BC: birth control
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: cycle day
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CHs: crosshairs (intersection of coverline and ovulation)
CL: coverline
CM: cervical mucus (same as CF)
CO: cervical opening
CP: cervical position
CTA: charting to avoid
CTW: charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: days past ovulation
DTD: do the dead (sex)
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucus/fluid
FAM: fertility awareness method
FF: Fertility Friend (website, see above)
HBC: hormonal birth control
HTL: high temp level (0.4°F above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)
LAM: lactational amenorrhea method (breastfeeding as birth control)
LP: luteal phase (between ovulation and menses, average 10-16 days)
LTL: low temp level (highest of the 6 temps immediately before temp rise)
NFP: natural family planning
O: ovulation
SHOW: soft, high, open, wet (characteristics of the cervix near ovulation)
SR: seminal residue
TCOYF: Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book and website, see above)
TTA: trying to avoid
TTW: trying to whatever
other common abbreviations

Happy Charting Everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

CD 1 again for me... a 3rd 8 day LP in a row. If anybody has any ideas on how to increase LP's while breastfeeding, I'd love to hear them... reading about night lighting.

I know Vitex and B6 are suppose to help with LP (they both have me). I don't know if Vitex is safe while breastfeeding, but taking a B complex should be fine.

#4 ·
A little help please.

FF says I o'ed on CD9, despite my "normal" being CD15-19. It says the same on Advanced or FAM.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/320676

Does that seem right, or really early? Also those temps are all really low for post-O. CD8 I woke up 45 min late and CD9 was after a really cold night's sleep (forgot to turn on the heater). I'd welcome an Oops but CD9 seems impossibly early.

ETA: If I discard the super low temp on CD9, FF takes away the crosshairs and puts expected O back around CD14-19. Is that a valid approach?

#5 ·
Hello, all! Happy March (it's almost spring!!)

I am on day 15 of my first cycle that I'm charting, and I'm starting to think my thermometer isn't very accurate. It keeps giving me 96.99. Is it possible that my temp is EXACTLY the same 98% of the time, or should I get a new thermometer?

#6 ·
I've been keeping track of the start/end of my periods for a few years now, but I've only been officially charting since January. We are currently charting to avoid/charting to look for any problems with my cycle before we switch to TTC in May/June. Last month my cycle was really wonky (for me)- 37 days long, but only an 11 day luteal phase. It looks to me like my body tried to ovulate twice, hence the really long cycle, but I'm anxious this month to see if my luteal phase is still 11 days. I've read that an 11 day LP is okay, but ideally it's 12 days or longer. Anyone know how true this is? I'll try to figure out how to get the link to my charts on tcoyf on here soon.

#8 ·
Well I started cycle 3.
Lf increased by one day to 9 days.
Length decreased from 41 to 30 days.
So glad things seem to be getting back to normal.
On the up side of things I normally have horrible cramps.
This cycle has been relatively painless.
The only thing I can I can attribute it to is the tons of cranberry juice. I have been drinking for a uti.
Anyone ever heard of this ?

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post

Hello, all! Happy March (it's almost spring!!)

I am on day 15 of my first cycle that I'm charting, and I'm starting to think my thermometer isn't very accurate. It keeps giving me 96.99. Is it possible that my temp is EXACTLY the same 98% of the time, or should I get a new thermometer?
Hmm, I would be questioning the thermometer too, but I probably wouldn't change thermometers mid-cycle. What type are you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighids Flame View Post

I've been keeping track of the start/end of my periods for a few years now, but I've only been officially charting since January. We are currently charting to avoid/charting to look for any problems with my cycle before we switch to TTC in May/June. Last month my cycle was really wonky (for me)- 37 days long, but only an 11 day luteal phase. It looks to me like my body tried to ovulate twice, hence the really long cycle, but I'm anxious this month to see if my luteal phase is still 11 days. I've read that an 11 day LP is okay, but ideally it's 12 days or longer. Anyone know how true this is? I'll try to figure out how to get the link to my charts on tcoyf on here soon.
My cycle did that too, once it came back PP. Steadily decreasing in length from 46 days, to 40, 30ish, 26!, then 28.... I think a 10 or 11 day LP is on the short side of normal, but still normal. So I wouldn't worry about it unless you are TTC for a couple of cycles w/o success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post

Well I started cycle 3.
Lf increased by one day to 9 days.
Length decreased from 41 to 30 days.
So glad things seem to be getting back to normal.
On the up side of things I normally have horrible cramps.
This cycle has been relatively painless.
The only thing I can I can attribute it to is the tons of cranberry juice. I have been drinking for a uti.
Anyone ever heard of this ?
It is good a feeling, when things start becoming normal again. Or at least consistent! Not sure about the cranberry juice, but hopefully the painless cycles will be come your new normal! And everybody is different, so if cranberry works for you, go with it!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Hmm, I would be questioning the thermometer too, but I probably wouldn't change thermometers mid-cycle. What type are you using?
It's just one I got at walgreens. It's the little white one with pink at the end. I also have the big pink one from walgreens (I lost one, bought another, and then found the first. doesn't it always work out that way?) I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to switch mid cycle. I'll try my other thermometer next cycle.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post

It's just one I got at walgreens. It's the little white one with pink at the end. I also have the big pink one from walgreens (I lost one, bought another, and then found the first. doesn't it always work out that way?) I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to switch mid cycle. I'll try my other thermometer next cycle.
That's funny, the same thing happened to me. I had the white and pink one before DD was conceieved, couldn't find it, bought the big pink one, and then found the white one. It was old though (DD is 2!) so i tossed it, thinking the battery was probably not good anymore. I'm pretty happy with Big Pink but when she dies I'll probably get the BD that everyone talks about just to try something new.

#12 ·
So my TCOYF chart isn't registering that I ovulated, even though I had 3 high temps in a row and no EWCM. I'm worried that it's because I missed a 2 days of temping (the day I O'ed and the day prior). I thought that putting in the CM for the days I missed would be enough, but maybe not? It also has my peak day listed as the day after I O'ed, so maybe it's confused? This is my first month using TCOYF's website to chart my cycle, so if anyone has anyone insight, please let me know what you think. Here's my chart:

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/Brighids-Flame/charts/2.aspx

#13 ·
I was wondering how seriously you all take FF's interpretations? Would you rely on them or do your own interpretation? Getting pregnant is not such a concern for me now as I'm away from my BF and the relat's not going so well, but I'm still wanting to keep charting until I am confident with it all and have a handle on how it all works for me - so I can pick it up again when I need to.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

nope! don't rely on FF! They are geared toward TTC, not TTA. I agree with their interpretation for me most of the time but I have seen them set some crazy O dates for others!!!
yeahthat.gif

This month they set my O date at CD9. I set it to "Research" so that it removed the O on CD9, but seriously, there's no way. If I could get TCOYF to work properly on my work computer I'd use that instead....

#17 ·
I used Fertility Flower last month and it was okay, but when you use the free version the features are really limited. I decided to give tcoyf a shot, and it's sooooo frustrating!!! At first it registered my ovulation correctly, but the more (clearly above the coverline) temperatures I'm putting in, the more confused it is getting. Now it thinks that I didn't ovulate at the end of February (though I clearly did), and instead says that today (a day when I am totally dry and have temps way above coverline) I'm fertile!! I thought my cycle was being fairly straightforward this month, I don't know how it managed to figure out my crazy cycle last month perfectly, but is totally off the mark this month
banghead.gif
I finally just went in and did an override on the settings, and now it's looking more accurate. I hope it's not this awful every month!!! </rant>

#19 ·
Hi ladies! I used temperature charting to avoid getting pregnant for years (having sex only post-ovulation, since we knew we weren't ready yet). But now that I've just had a baby, it's so much harder and I'm getting frustrated and could use some support.

First off, it's so danged hard to remember to take my temperature every morning (I'm out of the habit and dh isn't in bed with me to remind me now--he's off in a different room with our 4 year old...times have changed since we were last using this method 5 years ago!) And second, I'm not getting 4 hours of consecutive sleep reliably anyway (nursing baby waking me up and sitting up to pee myself/the baby, etc). I never relied much on cm, since I had really regular cycles, but looking at the directions in the first post maybe I need to be doing that? I've only had two periods since giving birth 5 months ago...one starting on January 14th, and the next starting on February 18th (5 weeks later--unusually long for me...I tend to have 28 day cycles. But I guess I should expect regularity this early on after birth!). I think I ovulated yesterday (cd15 and I felt cramping)...my temp is up today, but dh let me sleep in and I didn't remeber to take my temp until 2 hours after my usual time! Argh!

Does anyone have suggestions for how to make this work with two little kids and a nursing 5 month old in the bed with me????? I'm reluctant to set an alarm because I don't want to wake up the baby (or myself, frankly...I wake up enough at night as it is). But lately, by the time I remember to take my temperature in the morning, I've already sat up and changed a diaper in bed...which can't be good for keeping my temperature at "resting." I really hate condoms. And I don't trust my cervical cap and diaphragm to be effective enough (we're pretty clear we're done having kids at this point). But I'm scared of anything more permanent and/or IUD's. Blah.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

nope! don't rely on FF! They are geared toward TTC, not TTA. I agree with their interpretation for me most of the time but I have seen them set some crazy O dates for others!!!
Oh ok, thanks! I'm still really new to this - would you regard the coverline FF draw as the right one, and just do the rest of the interp's yourself then? TCOYF software doesn't sound v user friendly from what other ladies have said. Hhmm.

And Carlyle, I can really sympathise with the temperature taking problems - my son tends to wake up with every minute movement I make so I'm hardly ever able to get a true waking temperature, and as for three consecutive hours of sleep, ha!I also can't set an alarm bc it'd wake him up. I've got quite good at setting an internal alarm clock though, and seem to wake up within about 20 minutes of the same time every early morning now. I'm hoping in combination with CM that will do - have yet to figure out cervical position yet!

#21 ·
I am going to join you ladies. I've never charted before. I've had the TCOYF book for years and I've read it a couple of times. I normally just go by what my CM looks like, but after a wonky cycle last month and being utterly convinced I was pg for a very stressful week before AF finally showed up, I am realizing I need to become more aware of when I am fertile. I just signed up for the tcoyf website, is there another one you ladies would suggest that might work better? I've never taken my temp in the morning, is there a good, affordable thermometer that a lot of you suggest? Just looking for some guidance as I start this new journey. Thanks!!

#22 ·
Hey - I would like to join you guys - I posted a few questions last month - but am not really sure how to join -or how to link my chart?? Help!! Thanks!! :D

#23 ·
wave.gif

If you chart on Fertility Friend, go to "My Home Page" and then "Home Page Settings." Copy the link at the top of the page and paste it here. Then, if you'd like Trish will add it to the front page so that everyone can find it if/when you have questions.

#24 ·
Anyone ever lose your thermometer behind the bed? Grrr. I set my alarm, took my temp and when I went to set my thermometer back in its spot, I dropped it between the bed and the wall. Now I have to remember to get DH to move it so I can get it back, record my temp and temp again tomorrow.
eyesroll.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.