Charting to avoid with a mirena? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone.  I just had a mirena put in this week as a last resort for treating my extremely heavy periods.  I normally practice FAM for birthcontrol and my DH and I feel life begins at conception so I'm having a really hard time with this choice(no offense to others who feel differently, just my personal belief).  Up until now I've mostly been keeping track of my fertile periods by checking my CM since I'm up all hours breastfeeding my LO(temps would be off).  My DR told me I'd have a hard time tracking because the hormone in the IUD changes your CM.  I'm really hoping I can still avoid the times I'm ovulating, has anyone done this?  I'm assuming that if I no longer get AF that I won't be ovulating as happens with some women who have a mirena.  Thank you for any advice or experiences.

SAHM to Kaylynn 12, Alec 10, Gideon 5 and Silas my hba2c baby born 4/12/10! h20homebirth.gif  vbac.gif cd.gif bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 AM

Right, ideally, the primary way mirena is supposed to prevent pregnancy is by preventing ovulation.  So if it is working optimally, you wont have anything TO chart, you won't be ovulating.  And yes, a secondary way it works is to thicken your mucus such that even if you do accidentally toss out an egg, the mucus is so hostile the sperm cant get through/die.  

You could still probably do temping, and that would be enough to sort of "confirm" that you are not ovulating.  

CPST
#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 05:26 AM

I charted to avoid with my Mirena b/c I did NOT like learning that ovulation and conception can still occur.  I charted for about 2 months and did have a clear temp rise, so I then decided to take the darn thing out.  I just couldn't come to terms with the possibilities going on in there.

It could be different for you, OP, and it can't hurt to temp for a few weeks to see what's going on.  I could also feel ovulation pains and that's what tipped me off to do a little more research.

http://www.contracept.org/iud-mirena.php

"The hormone in the IUD may sometimes stop the release of an egg from the ovary, but this is not the way it usually works as ovulation still occurs in most women. The Mirena system may prevent sperm from reaching or fertilizing an egg. However, some sperm may reach the egg anyway, resulting in fertilization. "

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

I knew that most women do ovulate with the mirena.  It's a common misconception that you don't ovulate.  Mirena's own website says that it does not stop ovulation in most cases(it can but it's not a sure thing).  I'm glad you were able to see a clear shift in your chart, that is encouraging.  I also found another woman who can detect her ovulation by CM and O pains even with the mirena.  So I'm hopeful I'll be able to chart and see what's going on too to avoid my fertile times.  I really need some relief from my awful periods! 

SAHM to Kaylynn 12, Alec 10, Gideon 5 and Silas my hba2c baby born 4/12/10! h20homebirth.gif  vbac.gif cd.gif bftoddler.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
JMJ

You might check out http://www.fertilitycare.org/. NaPro Technology is a method of treating the causes of women's reproductive issues rather than just treating the symptoms with birth control. They also have a very pro-life philosophy for reproductive health care.

#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

You might check out http://www.fertilitycare.org/. NaPro Technology is a method of treating the causes of women's reproductive issues rather than just treating the symptoms with birth control. They also have a very pro-life philosophy for reproductive health care.

Thanks for the link!  There are actually no practitioners in my area which is surprising.  I would think it would be popular here.  My CPM actually recommended a treatment that matches the info I found on this site.  It did not help me though.  I also wanted to let anyone who is interested know that I was able to detect ovulation this month.  I had the mirena put in on day 6 of my cycle and my CM stayed the same.  I got EWCM right on schedule along with my normal sore nipples and cramps that I get at O time.  So I'm able to track and avoid it so far!

#7 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Very anecdotally, I don't think I ovulated the first four years I had my Mirena (no period, no sense of hormones waxing and waning throughout the month). Now I am in my fifth year, and I have had a regular period like clockwork for the past 8 months. I'm guessing it's possible that the hormone in the device starts to fade toward the end.

My guess would be that you would be less likely to conceive with a Mirena than with the non-hormonal IUD, but that if you wanted to be sure you could catch ovulation by temping and other signs, the Mirena would make that more difficult.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page