Copper IUD...Can i be pregnant? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi im very much goin throught what you are going throught I have done a test it come up negative but im having all the symptons you have got should I go dr and do a test with them or just try different test I even feel like there is movement sometimes in my stomach I  just need some advice if you can get back to me that would really be appreatiated thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM

It makes you wonder if the iud aborts the baby without you knowing because it would just feel like a cramping heavy period. I know what the copper iud does is makes the egg unable to implant into the uterus and kills or damages the sperm when they pass through the top of the cervix. Therefore, it is a possibility for the egg to be fertilized but is unable to implant into uterus due to the iud device and the copper toxic environment. This makes me really think bc isn't a life born the minute an egg is fertilized?....
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post

Just thought I would share my story since I can't share it with anyone else at this point:)

Just found out last night that I am pregnant.  I have had a copper iud in place for about a year now.  I was very happy with it.  This months period was different from all of the rest.  Had slight nausea and was late about 3 days.  Started with a light flow (instead of heavy which was the norm), and then it would go away for a day and then return. 

I was shopping with my girls (5, and 2) and thought if I could find a cheap pregnancy test I might just buy it......$4 later and in the bathroom with the girls I got a positive result.  Went and bought a $12 one, and that was positive too.  Told my husband and figured I would go in to the Dr. in the morning. 

At this point I am really confused because I still have bleeding and cramping.  Since I had an extra test(it came with 2) I took it with my first morning void.....it was negative.  Now even more confused I decide to go in to see the Dr.  Of course they had me pee in a cup and it this one was positive. (My how pregnancy tests can vary)

Saw the Dr. and he drew for my hCG level which should rise each day.  He said that I could be having a miscarriage so he scheduled an ultrasound and more blood work for Monday.  I am having even more cramping and bleeding tonight. 

What a rollercoaster.  We were not going to have more kids for a good 3yrs. I am a full time nursing student and don't currently have OB coverage.  I love kids and actually have baby fever.  I am ready for another one, but my husband isn't and it would be tough with school.

Right now I am looking to the Lord to handle this and do what is best for us.  I am not concerned about not having coverage or that I am in school.  I think it is a gift from God and I will take a gift  anytime he wants to give us one.  Now I just pray that if it is a viable pregnancy things go well and we can have a healthy pregnancy/delivery.  Boy, would my family/friends be shocked! 

It is hard right now to get excited.  I have read some stories and it sounds like miscarrying is 50%?....even until delivery? with an iud.  Since I am having cramping and bleeding I just feel like I am probably miscarrying but I guess we will find out more on Monday.

I would love to hear if anyone else has any information on iud's and pregnancy!  Thanks
What ever came about from all this?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM

I'm experiencing something similar. I got my Copper IUD put in July 1st 2013, normal 30 day average periods and now I'm 10 days late. Going to do a pregnancy test today. I'll post the results.
It's been very worrying to read some of the posts here. I was told that this was one of the most effective forms of BC. Now I'm starting to feel like a guinea pig being tested.

And fyi, when my doctor put it in, he said it's that effective in killing sperm that it's used as an emergency contraception (within 24 hours of unprotected sex).

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM

So a pregnancy test says I'm not pregnant. But still no period! Must be something to do with my diet or something. I don't know. I'm stumped.

But I will be reconsidering my birth control after reading thorugh this...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Hi ladies, 

I, too, am here because I'm concerned I could be pregnant... Usually with the pargard, I can feel the cramping start up to a week before my period.  This will only be my 4th period with the paragard, but I'm a couple days late and have no cramping, and instead I had a lot of clear discharge about a week ago, a couple days after having a weekend of unprotected sex with my partner.  Yikes.  I'll be grabbing a pregnancy test soon...

Regarding everyone's concerns about the Copper IUD's effectiveness: This thread makes it look like the copper IUD is awfully ineffective, because we're all gathering in one place online from all over the country (or perhaps world) probably due to the same google search.  When you hear stories about stuff like this, it's easy to assume that those stories represent a larger percentage of the possible outcome than they really do.  

For those of you that are thinking of getting the copper IUD, don't read biased anecdotes to help you make your decision.  Visit this site: http://www.paragard.com/images/ParaGard_info.pdf.  It contains detailed information on the clinical trials that were run to test paragard.  Notice, only 0.8% of women experienced accidental pregnancy in the first year, compared to a whopping 2.0% of those that used the progesterone T (Mirena).  This first year had the highest pregnancy rate for women using the paragard.  They followed women for 10 years, and in the second year the accidental pregnancy rate was 0.3%, then 0.6, 0.2, 0.3, 0.2, 0.0, 0.4, 0.0 and 0.0% for a grand total of 2.0% over the course of 10 years.  

Hope this helps!

Brittany

Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Update: I'm not pregnant!  My period was just a week late for some reason.  Looks like the IUD was working after all :)

Old 04-12-2014, 02:17 AM

To put minds at ease:

During the week I was supposed to have my period I had light dark brown spotting for only a day but no period. I had all the signs of my period about to start (which are strikingly similar to pregnancy) so I began to worry. On top of that, three days after I had sex I had bleeding (which in my mind was implantation bleeding.) In my mind, all the signs were there. 

I started my period today being 2 weeks and 3 days late. YUP, 17 days late. It could've been the stress, or diet, or anything. Ladies don't always have regular periods, don't worry yourself sick.

I peed on more sticks than I'd care to admit, had two appointments for a pregnancy test and IUD check in those two weeks, all because I kept googling 'missed period.' The IUD is incredibly effective, make sure your strings are there and be aware of other signs of IUD displacement.  

Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Wow, this thread is something else. Hoping for the desired results over here. I had the copper IUD from 2008-2010, and got it removed so I could conceive my first child. I just got another the other week. I don't want to use the Mirena because if it stopped my periods, I would always be wondering if I was pregnant, and probably need to take out stock in First Response. The IUD is supposed to be 99.9% effective. I suppose the other 0.1% all found this thread. :dizzy

Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM

The copper IUD is definitely not 99.9% effective, the mirena is up around 99% but the copper is lower than that. I will have to check the stats.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Oops, 99.2% . Mirena is 98%. 

http://www.drugs.com/pro/paragard.html

Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 AM

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've had the copper IUD for a while now and my period was really heavy to the point I was put on tablets to make it lighter and also iron tablets. I made a drunk mistake 4 weeks ago but bled on the 10th and finished on the 14th this month my period was lighter and shorter i didn't have to take the tablets for my period, now I've got sharp pains down one side, I'm hardly eating which is not like me, I feel sick most of the day, I'm so tired I find it hard looking after my children, I'm also feeling light headed and black-out every time I stand up all of these symptoms I had with both of my pregnancies. Could I be pregnant or am I just paranoid?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBubz87 View Post

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've had the copper IUD for a while now and my period was really heavy to the point I was put on tablets to make it lighter and also iron tablets. I made a drunk mistake 4 weeks ago but bled on the 10th and finished on the 14th this month my period was lighter and shorter i didn't have to take the tablets for my period, now I've got sharp pains down one side, I'm hardly eating which is not like me, I feel sick most of the day, I'm so tired I find it hard looking after my children, I'm also feeling light headed and black-out every time I stand up all of these symptoms I had with both of my pregnancies. Could I be pregnant or am I just paranoid?
definitely take some tests just in case!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM

Question plz help

Hi All,
I am 2 having Copper IUD 2 months back...everything was normal, but now only little spot is coming on the name of period. periods are not coming only a drop is coming...1nce or twice a day. sometyms cramps or motions some nausea...I am worried whether I am preganant or not.
please help me & confirm me whether I am or not

User Tag List