Copper IUD...Can i be pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI everyone,

I am in my mid 30's and have had a Copper(Paragaurd) IUD in place for about 4 years and normally my period is like clock work!! Always on time and if it is late the most its ever been late is 2 to3 days, but I am never worried because I have all the symptoms alerting me that my period is on its way. Now this month is very different I have had no usual symptoms to notify me that my period will be arriving, my period is now 10 days late!!! The symptoms I do have are increased appetite, tender breasts, moodiness, fatigue and some clear discharge these are symptoms I would associate with pregnancy!! Soooo I took 4 home pregnancy test and they all came out negative!! That was 2 days ago and still no period or signs of a period!! Can the IUD cause that many false negatives!!!??? if anyone has any insight it would sure help!!

#2 of 44 Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM

When are you testing? Watered down urine can cause a false negative. First thing in the morning is best to test. Or you could get a more sensitive blood test.

I got pregnant with a Copper IUD about 3 or 4 years after having it placed. It was in place during  my ultrasound.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#3 of 44 Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

well I took the first two tests mid-day and the other two first thing in the morning, I am really freaking out and it doesn't help that my emotions are out of control I'm crying for every little thing. I have slight tenderness in my abdomen too

#4 of 44 Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 AM

OP, what's the verdict? 

I too have a Paraguard, and am about 10-12 days late for bleeding. Strings feel normal, so I know it's still inside the uterus. Nipple sensitivity up the wazoo (still nursing a toddler, though, who has been sick and wanting more nurses). No sign of the monthly visitor whatsoever.  Thinking back to my first pregnancy, I really had no "symptoms" until about 6-8 weeks, when I got hit with fatigue.  Not sure what to do at this point...I've done two urine PG tests in the last week, both negative. I am going to pee on another stick tomorrow, I think, first urine. If still negative, I am thinking about a visit with my family doctor, to get a blood test and perhaps check the IUD's placement. 

If you're up for sharing, I'm curious about what's happened since your first post. Also, asraidevin, when you got PG with your IUD in place, did you have it removed? Did your pregnancy proceed normally?

Thanks ladies!

:)

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#5 of 44 Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM

I would like to know too I am almost 20 days late from my normal cycle although I think I oed late.

About 8 negative tests that I have taken ( yes I am obssesed)

I have had the copper iud about a year now.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#6 of 44 Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm super curious to hear how all you ladies are doing.  I seem to run across so many IUD pregnancy stories that I'm really doubting the efficacy of the copper IUD.  There was even a IUD pregnancy in my due date club (her IUD disappeared).  We CTA, but ended up with two oops kids that way and now have gotten it through our heads that this is not a good form of birth control for us during the postpartum period/breastfeeding cycles, etc.  lol.gif   I was considering the copper IUD, but I heard more negative stories than positive ones at this point.

Please keep us updated! 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 44 Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Thought I would update this thread as well.

I am pregnant and have a MIA iud that they think may be floating somewhere in my abdomen.

Unfortunatly they cant xray for it being pregnant.

#8 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Still wondering about the OP, but I did get my period (about 15 days late!).  Thought I'd share...definitely gave me a scare this month!

Best to all!

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#9 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Another one here who had a copper IUD baby. She was born Oct 2009. *sigh*

#10 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM

The harpy if they knew where your iud was did they remove it?

Trying to get some details and figure out what to do. Apparently they found mine today inside my cervix via ultrosound.

Although I am not entirely convinced as the first 2 ultrasounds failed to see it.

#11 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I'm super curious to hear how all you ladies are doing.  I seem to run across so many IUD pregnancy stories that I'm really doubting the efficacy of the copper IUD.  There was even a IUD pregnancy in my due date club (her IUD disappeared).  We CTA, but ended up with two oops kids that way and now have gotten it through our heads that this is not a good form of birth control for us during the postpartum period/breastfeeding cycles, etc.  lol.gif   I was considering the copper IUD, but I heard more negative stories than positive ones at this point.

Please keep us updated! 

I have had multiple friends who's IUD's have fallen out and didn't know it. Each one of them has gotten pregnant.  Keep us posted! 

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#12 of 44 Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Just thought I would share my story since I can't share it with anyone else at this point:)

Just found out last night that I am pregnant.  I have had a copper iud in place for about a year now.  I was very happy with it.  This months period was different from all of the rest.  Had slight nausea and was late about 3 days.  Started with a light flow (instead of heavy which was the norm), and then it would go away for a day and then return. 

I was shopping with my girls (5, and 2) and thought if I could find a cheap pregnancy test I might just buy it......$4 later and in the bathroom with the girls I got a positive result.  Went and bought a $12 one, and that was positive too.  Told my husband and figured I would go in to the Dr. in the morning. 

At this point I am really confused because I still have bleeding and cramping.  Since I had an extra test(it came with 2) I took it with my first morning void.....it was negative.  Now even more confused I decide to go in to see the Dr.  Of course they had me pee in a cup and it this one was positive. (My how pregnancy tests can vary)

Saw the Dr. and he drew for my hCG level which should rise each day.  He said that I could be having a miscarriage so he scheduled an ultrasound and more blood work for Monday.  I am having even more cramping and bleeding tonight. 

What a rollercoaster.  We were not going to have more kids for a good 3yrs. I am a full time nursing student and don't currently have OB coverage.  I love kids and actually have baby fever.  I am ready for another one, but my husband isn't and it would be tough with school.

Right now I am looking to the Lord to handle this and do what is best for us.  I am not concerned about not having coverage or that I am in school.  I think it is a gift from God and I will take a gift  anytime he wants to give us one.  Now I just pray that if it is a viable pregnancy things go well and we can have a healthy pregnancy/delivery.  Boy, would my family/friends be shocked! 

It is hard right now to get excited.  I have read some stories and it sounds like miscarrying is 50%?....even until delivery? with an iud.  Since I am having cramping and bleeding I just feel like I am probably miscarrying but I guess we will find out more on Monday.

I would love to hear if anyone else has any information on iud's and pregnancy!  Thanks

#13 of 44 Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelia View Post
 Also, asraidevin, when you got PG with your IUD in place, did you have it removed? Did your pregnancy proceed normally?

Thanks ladies!

:)

They did not remove it as the dr said it would be more likely to cause a miscarriage. I never saw it when I went into labour or anything, but my water broke. I sometimes have fears of it floating arund inside me somehow.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#14 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM

I have a copper IUD, and I got pregnant and miscarried the first month I had it.  Now, I'm on the second month, and again, I suspect that I'm pregnant even though we were more careful and also practiced withdrawal.  Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. 

#15 of 44 Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM

So confused right now maybe someone can help me decifer what is going on. A couple of months ago I started feeling nausous and had sore breasts...I had AF but it was very abnormal and extremely light. I didn't feel right. So i took two home pregnancy tests and they came back negative. I went to the dr he did a bloodtest..said he would call if anything came up i never heard from him so im assuming all was ok...last period i had was the end of December.. but it was unusually light. I have a copper IUD i have had it for about 6 yrs and never have I experienced what I am right now. Lately During intercourse it hurts to where i feel like something is poking my cervix...that is odd to me because it has never happened before. I have been extremely moody...I have been nausous...very tired...have sore breasts..and the weirdest thing of all is i have major heartburn and indigestion. I have never ever had a prob with heartburn or indigestion except for 8 yrs ago when I was pg....I think that is the weirdest thing to me and what concerns me the most. Ive had it continuous for the last 4 days. I spoke with a friend and she said that maybe before I didn't have enough hormones for my tests to register. She had an ectopic with an iud before. I am just not really sure whats going on the indigestion and sex thing is what is the weirdest to me..I also have sharp pains and cramps from time to time..Do you think I can be pg or is it just in my head? I think im going crazy because i have an iud....what are your thoughts?

#16 of 44 Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM

hi everyone i had my copper iud inserted back in october everything going ok up until feb when my period failed to turn up after 4 neg preg tests and a neg blood test my period still has not arrived it will be 10 weeks this week greensad.gif  my hcg level was 3.13 if im not pregnant then what else could cause this, i have a hosptial app on weds hopefully they can find out.

#17 of 44 Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 AM

Hey there,

I have been searching for a discussion like this because, like you, I have the copper IUD, my monthly cycle is normally very heavy and lasts a long time and I have had the IUD for about 4 or 5 years now... This month, I started on the 9th, it ended on the 9th, and then it started again on the 10th and ended on the 10th...it has been like this everyday and I am still only just spotting and it is the 15th.  I too am concerned that I may be prego, but my IUD is not MIA....  I am getting concerned that I may not have chosen the right birth control, but anything with hormones makes me exceptionally crazy....  How is everything with you and your pregnancy? (Please forgive me, i did not look at the dates of the posts....). 

I look forward to hearing from you or any other members of this forum! 

Take care

#18 of 44 Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

ive had the copper iud for about a year now.  i had unprotected sex with my partner on sept,14&15.2012  i felt something pop. but it didnt hurt about 3days later (18th)  i started to spot . very light pinkish blood . the following day (19th) i started to have cervical discharge coming out . for about a week . then everything was ok . i was suppose to get my period on the 1st of oct and it didnt show i was late for about 2weeks. on the 13th i started to bleed very light blood  it would come and go   then  the 14th i started to bleed  normal flow , (im used to heavy periods ) im cramping  i feel like im bleeding like crazy and im not its just a regular flow , seems different . this month . so idk what to do , should i test ?  my nipples kinda bother me.  my back hurts alot . and im bloated so idk .. im thinking about making an apt. and see if they can do a transvaginal ultra sound .  to make sure everything is ok =]  ill keep ou gus posted ! 

#19 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM

I am having the same problem and symptoms as 247mom, I would like to knw wht happened with ur situation if possible plz thnx.

#20 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 AM

I got a copper IUD inserted October 5th.  Had some bleeding then about a week more a "light" period.  Since then the odd brown discharge, but nothing needing a pad or tampon.  It's now been 49 days since what I'd consider the "light" period.  I'm starting to get concerned I could be pregnant.  Last night I dreamed I was and I just kept taking tests hoping they'd be negative.  After googling it this morning I feel like I should go get a pregnancy test...

#21 of 44 Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 AM

Hi can I ask how we're all getting on?? I've the copper coil and have had it for 12 months. My periods were fine but past 3 months I've had either a day of light bleeding and this months I've just had like a pink thick discharge and cramp. I'm now well over a month late. Took pregnancy tests which have all been negative. Would love some feed back :-)
#22 of 44 Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM

Hi. I am a 17 yr old mother. I had my baby girl when I was 15. (I am turning 17 this month),, I have some confusion from all the research I've been doing about this topic. I have the paraguard copper iud and have had really heavy long periods the whole time since I've had it 6 weeks after my baby was born 11-18-11. In the past 4 months my period has started on the 27th of a month until the 9th. Then the 28th to the to the 9th. The 29th to the 10th. ECT. Sometimes in the earlier months in this past half year it would stop for two days then continue for another week. This month it is the 7th and no bleeding or alot of cramping since my last period ended on the 9th of December. I'm worried and now im getting random nausia where I salivate for about a minute then it goes away, heartburn, and today I got really bad fatigue when I was in the middle of working and really cranky out of nowhere. I just don't know what to do because iv seen so Manny stories of negitive preg tests, could the iud make false negatives? I'm thinking of waiting another week to take a test but I don't know what to do, please help...
#23 of 44 Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm just now seeing your post, nora's mommy. Have you re-tested yet?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#24 of 44 Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM

Wow , well i see im not the only one . Ive had my iud in for 3 yrs everything was fine but now this month is so different from d others im feeling very nauseus to the point i end up in d bathroom , love fish but for some reason my dad cooked some fish for me and i couldnt eat it cuz for me it smell terrible my breast are really tender and itchy i think they are bigger to ive been craving food dat before i couldnt eat sleepy tired and fatigue and one thing dat i usually get when im pregnant is uti with all my three kids ive had an uti in d begining of my pregnancy ive taken two pregnancy test d cheap one was pos and then took first reponse and it was neg im trying to see if my period comes down oh and in early jan like around d 10 th i had like a brownish almost red discharge like when inplantaion is done dont know what to think my nerves are getting to me . Any advise has anyone experience any of these symptoms or is it all im my head
#25 of 44 Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM

I did the first respose yest morn ,my period is suppose to come down tomm . Im not sure wat to think have a doct appt end of next month my doc suggested for the iud to be removed , in the past three yrs ive never had experience none of this only when pregnant
#26 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

Hi!

I am reading all the stories and getting very worried. I've had the copper (Paraguard)IUD for exactly 2 years...lately, I have had a lot of nausea to the point that I get up in the middle of the night to throw up. I am not the type of person that gets an upset stomach at all; only the 2 times I have been pregnant before, I have 2 beautiful daughters! blowkiss.gif My periods  got extremely heavy right after the IUD was inserted; this last time was much lighter. I have taken a pregnancy test and it turned out negative. It sounds like it is still possible that I am pregnant from reading stories all of the ladies share...

Any more advise anyone can give?

THANKS!

#27 of 44 Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy-Mommy View Post

Hi!

I am reading all the stories and getting very worried. I've had the copper (Paraguard)IUD for exactly 2 years...lately, I have had a lot of nausea to the point that I get up in the middle of the night to throw up. I am not the type of person that gets an upset stomach at all; only the 2 times I have been pregnant before, I have 2 beautiful daughters! blowkiss.gif  My periods  got extremely heavy right after the IUD was inserted; this last time was much lighter. I have taken a pregnancy test and it turned out negative. It sounds like it is still possible that I am pregnant from reading stories all of the ladies share...

Any more advise anyone can give?

THANKS!
#28 of 44 Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

I had my copper IUD in for 3 years , it made my periods heavier but it was fine. Then I realized my period was late, since I had the IUD I didn't think much of it until I realized my period was 2 weeks late so I went to read about pregnancy and IUD online and read some horror story about the increased risk of tubal pregnancy so I ran out and bought a test. I came home and did it, I was living in Japan at the time and had never done a test before so when it came out with 2 lines, I didn't know if that meant positive or negative and all of the directions were in Japanese! finally I found a tiny one line translation on the back that said 1 line negative 2 lines positive. I couldn't believe it. My husband and I were in shock. We didn't imagine that we would have kids yet and especially not in Japan. The next day I saw my Dr he did an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy and the position of the IUD. He sent me to an OB to remove the IUD, they said it was riskier to leave it in as it could cause infection or preterm labor. After they took the IUD out they said if I was going to miscarry, it would happen in the next week. I didn't have any spotting or anything and the pregnancy continued normally after that. My son is now almost 6 years old. After telling the story to my Dr back in Canada,, he said "oh, its because the IUD was too old. They stop working after 3 years. The copper breaks down" Although I clearly remember being told it would be fine for 10 years. Now we have another little boy. Between the kids we just used natural family planning / timing for birth control but now I have the Mirena IUD. I didn't want to risk it with the copper one again. I don't have any complaints with the mirena although I wanted to avoid hormones, it is a much lower dose than say on the birth control pill, but it made my periods disappear completely which I don't like. Anyway... for those of you who have the copper IUD's check with your Dr. how long they are good for so you don't get stuck with an unplanned IUD pregnancy. Good luck!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#29 of 44 Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM

I have had my copper IUD for a year and half now and my periods have never been the same since I got it.  They last like 9-11 days.  I got a pregnancy test done about two months ago and the doc I saw said that copper IUDs are notorious for causing hormonal changes in the cycle with all the women that had them which I find strange because the copper IUD has no hormones in it to disrupt one's cycle.  So I am unclear on what the doctor was talking about.  This month a few days ago I finally got some spotting after my period being almost two full weeks later than usual but it's super light pink and never touched the pad I had put on just in case my period showed up late.  So then the next day it stopped completely only to start up again the day after that and it's still super light and now a little light brown (like old blood)  which is super weird.  Been feeling really tired more so than usual and I have read about a lot of stories of the IUD failing (both hormonal and copper).  Starting to wonder what I should do.  I take anti-seizure medicines and any form of hormonal birth control would be 70% less effective because of the medicine which I can't stop obviously.  So I chose the copper IUD as it was my only choice aside from tying my tubes.  Ugh.  Thinking of buying a pregnancy test.

#30 of 44 Old 10-04-2013, 06:56 AM

I have a copper iud and im 12 days late. I got it put in, in April, had very heavy long periods. Like 2 box's of tampons heavy! But I felt like it was worth it to have such an effective form of birth control, or so I thought ...After reading your experiences im getting nervous, I might get a PG test today. I've had that light cramping and bloating that usually let's you know that your periods coming. The only spotting I've had was after sex and it was watery and pink. Im not in a very good place financially, or even in my relationship, to get pregnant. I was told by my doctor that the copper iud is the most effective form of birth control, but now im wondering if she was right greensad.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page