Please help!!! :( this cannot be possible! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone

I use NFP and im still breastfeeding DD2 who is 22 months now.

I avoided sex 8 days before ov, but then had sex on the day I had a shift in the afternoon.

My temps are still up and ive been feeling odd so did a test and it showed faint line straight away :~(

I can't be pregnant!

Here is my chart

I had sex on day 22 in the afternoon and then 8 days before day 21, how is this even possible when i have had a shift!

chart.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? mecry.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Congratulations!

I'm not quite sure if you're looking for just support or some explanation, but looking at your chart, I think FF called your O wrong. If you follow TCOYF's rules, your temp needs to be above the previous 6 days to draw a good coverline (and then wait 3 days to confirm the shift), and that doesn't happen until CD23, which explains how you caught that egg.

I know it's a bit of a surprise, but congratulations! smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Really? I didn't know that! so ov was actually CD 22?

How did I not know that!? Jeez I feel so stupid!

I have just split with my partner too... oh this is such a mess :(

Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Actually, even if you ovulated on CD21 the egg be fertilized up to 24 hours after ovulation (I think). You should always wait at least 3 days to confirm ovulation before resuming unprotected sexual activity.

I have a planned baby conceived with sex after ovulation (http://www.in-gender.com/Gender-Selection/Oplus12/)

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Oh hon, I'm sorry that this isn't quite the news you wanted to receive, especially with so much going on in your life right now. I hope you can take your time coming to terms with this and deciding what your next step is. Feel free to stick around here... there are lots of mamas who have found themselves with surprises, and we're happy to support you now and in the future. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
JMJ

NFP isn't an exact science.  We know that women ovulate within 3 days of peak day and about the time the temperature starts to rise, but we can't actually pinpoint a day to be sure, just a day that is most likely.  Additionally, women sometimes double ovulate, that is, they ovulate a second time within 24 hours of the first ovulation.  Looking at your chart, days 20-22 are your most likely O days, with a small chance on day 23.  Given that you got pregnant, it sounds like you probably ovulated later in the day on CD 21 or on CD 22.

Congratulations on the new life!  I know it wasn't what you were hoping, but somehow, it will work out.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themothership View Post

Actually, even if you ovulated on CD21 the egg be fertilized up to 24 hours after ovulation (I think). You should always wait at least 3 days to confirm ovulation before resuming unprotected sexual activity.

This

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 PM

definitely looks possible.....very likely you caught the egg just in time or more than likely, you actually o'ed on day 22! CONGRATULATIONS!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

NFP isn't an exact science.  We know that women ovulate within 3 days of peak day and about the time the temperature starts to rise, but we can't actually pinpoint a day to be sure, just a day that is most likely.  Additionally, women sometimes double ovulate, that is, they ovulate a second time within 24 hours of the first ovulation.  Looking at your chart, days 20-22 are your most likely O days, with a small chance on day 23.  Given that you got pregnant, it sounds like you probably ovulated later in the day on CD 21 or on CD 22.

Congratulations on the new life!  I know it wasn't what you were hoping, but somehow, it will work out.

When all the "rules" of NFP are followed correctly this method of fertility awareness is over 99% effective.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfarmom View Post

When all the "rules" of NFP are followed correctly this method of fertility awareness is over 99% effective.

Thanks for pointing that out.  My wording was not very clear.  What I meant was that the symptoms studied in NFP do not perfectly pinpoint a single ovulation day, but rather, which days the probability is highest that you will ovulate.  The "rules" of NFP take these probabilities into account and are designed in a way that does make them over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy (and also quite good effectiveness for achieving pregnancy), but you do have to follow the "rules" if you want that kind of effectiveness.  You cannot just assume that since the symptoms that you are experiencing indicate that the highest probability is that you ovulated one day means that you are safe the next.  There is still a reasonably high chance of ovulation on some other nearby days + a 24 hour lifespan of the egg.  In NFP, the fertile window is clearly defined.  If you wait for it to be over, there is very little chance of pregnancy.  If you do not, there is a very big chance of getting pregnant.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 AM

I know you weren't expecting this, but I think a congrats are in order! Unplanned babies can be a big blessing! I'm sure everything will be okay! Good luck and again, congrats!

dust.gif

Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was on the birth control patch and with a brand new partner(seperated from DH) when I got a positive test. It was very much unplanned and I was angry and sad, but I love my baby boy that's growing inside me, and DH is starting to attach to the pregnancy too, even though it's not his.

User Tag List