Today's sponge??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-05-2004, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
)Hey there....
I hope this is the right place to post this

Dh and I are done...and are in the process of discussing what to do for bc....

I was going to go back on the pill...I even have the precription, but I really don't want to go back on it at all. I have yet to resume AF (Ds is 39 weeks)...but I don't trust the natural b control anymore as he's as old as he is, eats solids now and the last couple nights has hardly bf at night....so that way of bc is out.

Dh is on the fence about a vas....the original plan was that if I had another section I would just get my tubes done, but I was planning on a VBAC and when Ds ended up being a section again, the farthest thing from my mind was mentioning that I wanted my tubes tied...and Dh didn't remind me at the time. So he was planning on doing the Vas...but last night told me that he didn't know what he wanted to do...in his words..."we dont' have sex anyways, what's the point! . Needless to say I'm not impressed with him right now....cause one of the main reasons we don't right now is that I'm not on the pill, neither of us likes condoms and neither of us wants more kids....I tried to explain to him that we'd be better off and probably have it more if there wasn't this cloud of fertility over our heads.

So anyways...(man I ramble....) I was wondering if anyone has used the Sponge or not?? I never thought of this at all, until I seen an article in our paper about how it was back and that Americans are buying it like crazy from Canada....
Any feedback on it?? Is it easy to use...we don't like condom cause they are uncomfortable...is the sponge like that too??

TIA....
Jen
#2 of 5 Old 04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

Boy, I forget the exact stats on them, but they're something like only 87% effective. That's far too much of a pregnancy risk for me, personally, so I'd not rely on them except as a backup (eg, in conjunction with a condom or other form of bc).
#3 of 5 Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I've been checking this out online too and seen that stat and thought....nope...not for us!! :LOL

Guess we'll stick to the condoms for now....Dh is going to go to the Dr's in the Fall for his Vasectomy! I wish he'd go now, but he says we can't afford for him to be off work (he works 6 days a week)

Thanks!!

Jen
#4 of 5 Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM

I used them in the 80's and early 90's before they were banned here, and loved them. I never got pregnant and they were easy and convenient. I was disappointed when they went off the market. MamiBeth.
#5 of 5 Old 05-02-2004, 12:51 PM

I currently use the sponge (dd is just about 4 months, ecologically breastfed, but my cm seems fertile, and I've had a bit of spotting). Protectaid can be almost impossible to remove if you're not very careful how you insert it. We just bought some Today sponges, so I'm not sure how they are - they look way easier to remove, but they are more expensive (>CA$20 for 3, where iirc protectaid is about the same price for 4).
HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page