Charting to Avoid / Fertility Awareness - June - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How neat you found a class.  My dh is not Catholic but I had heard it was a good course so was interested in going.  I did a search on the site when I was getting started and the nearest teaching couple is in Winnipeg which is about a 4 day drive away from here.  There is no class within 100 miles, not sure if further than that.  Luckily, I am pretty good at learning things by reading etc. and got the book that comes with the home study course and the postpartum book as well and found they were both a good read.  I had previously read TCOYF which I found to be a good book too.  It has been so nice to see the different approaches to the rules. 

I have not been charting for long, mostly postpartum when I was awaiting my first cycle which happened not long ago.  I caught my first ovulation with charting and am on my 2nd cycle now since then. 

Jodi

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 94 Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Alyadri, I'm sorry to hear about your milk supply.  I'm sure it's comforting to know you tried everything.  It sounds like you're pretty amazing to make it to 6 months.  I'm glad to hear that you'll be able to take the CCL class.  They were founded with an emphasis on both spouses being involved in the process to the point that they do not have individual teachers, only teaching couples.  Was there any mucus associated with the spotting you experienced?  Sometimes, spotting can be a sign of ovulation coming, especially if you observe mucus at the same time.  I would mark it on your chart and make a note that you're not sure if it's related to fertility or irritation.  Always make sure your hands are clean, and watch out for your fingernails when you are checking your cervix.  That is one reason some methods, such as Creighton, discourage internal observations.  CCL, on the other hand, encourages them.  Everybody has their own opinions on that, and I think it's good to know that it's a kinda controversial element of charting in the greater NFP world.  It's an option, but if it's a problem, you don't have to do it.

How long have I been charting?  That's a more complicated question than you'd think.  I've been paying attention to fertility (though not always charting) ever since my menarche, so 11 years.  My mom encouraged me to pay attention to my CM and mark on a calendar the dates of my period.  I was not able to tell anything from my mucus observations (probably due to a chronic yeast infection that was not diagnosed or treated until several months after I was married), so I didn't understand much of what was going on, but I sure tried.  I charted temps for a year or so my Junior/Senior year of high school, but my sleep was pretty erratic, and I didn't know that I needed to take my temp at the same time every day, so that wasn't much help.  I started temping again when I got engaged 5 years ago, but things still weren't making much sense for about 9 more months until I got some help from a friend who was training to be a CCL instructor.  Thankfully, I got about 4 good charts (temp-wise) before I got married almost 4 years ago.  I stopped charting when I got pregnant (planned) and didn't officially start charting until 18 months after that when I started to get CM fertility signs, but I was paying attention to fertility signs all along even if I wasn't writing them down.  I was able to chart my first ovulation a little less than 3 months after I started officially charting again postpartum.

#93 of 94 Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 AM

wave.gif  Hi everybody, just checking in. 

Librarygirl, I'm glad your BF is coming around.  I agree it's great for our partners to be involved in contraception. I think it has been good for our relationship.

I've been charting since my 1st PPAF--so October/November 2010. Beginning next cycle we'll be TTC.  I plan to continue until/after pregnancy until we're ready to do something more permanent.

So JMJ, since you'll no longer be CTA next cycle either, do you want to do the July thread, or should I, or is there someone else that would like to take over?  Sorry I've been sort of MIA. I probably mentioned it before, but I just became a SAHM and I don't get nearly as much screen time as I used to.  Which is great, of course.  love.gif

#94 of 94 Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Hi Everybody, I started the new thread here.  Thanks for offering, JustKate, but I'll handle it this month with the goal of getting all those wikis together this month and making the first post of this thread less cumbersome... even though I'm hoping that I'm already pregnant now.  Everybody consider being the thread keeper next month.  It's pretty easy to do (if you're not reorganizing the whole thing like me), so let me know if you're interested.  You don't have to know everything.  Everybody's here to help answer questions.  All the thread keeper really has to do is start a new thread each month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page