Birth control that doesn't cause weight gain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cycles are a mess and we are TTA.

I am open to birth control but can not deal with any weight gain side effects.

Charting is not an option for valid and informed health reasons.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#2 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

How long do you want to avoid?  If it's for more than 12-18 months, I'd go for a copper IUD (paragard).  I've had one for about 2.5 years and it's perfect - no hormones, no side effects, no worrying about getting pregnant.  And if I decide I want another child (hopefully some time, but not now) I can just yank it and TTC right away.  However, it's not worth doing unless you want to keep it in for at least a year.  (too $, though most insurance will cover it)

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 13 Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
JMJ

There's always charting... no side effects, more effort, very empowering.

#4 of 13 Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would suggest the copper IUD, but there are plenty of people that have had side effects from it (I did), so you really need to determine if you want to go that route.  There is a thread around here that has a lot of information on it about IUDs and personal experiences.  For my experience, I've since come to realize that my body is pretty sensitive to outside things - an IUD, medicine, vitamins, herbs, etc.  I can't say that is why I had an issue, but I do want to mention it.

ETA:  I believe the thread is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

There's always charting... no side effects, more effort, very empowering.

I totally agree with this.  If your cycles are fairly regular, I would highly recommend charting.  I switched to charting after having a copper IUD and having very unfortunate side effects (which, oddly enough, included weight gain from medication I took to deal with some side effects of the IUD).  I do have regular cycles and utilized CTA (charting to avoid) pregnancy successfully.

#5 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Just an FYI, your cycles don't have to be regular at all to chart. Charting uses your current fertility signs, rather than previous histories (like the old rhythm method did).

#6 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 PM
JMJ

yeahthat.gif

I do not have regular cycles, but charting has been very effective for me.  With irregular cycles, there may be more potentially fertile time, though.

#7 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Charting is not an option.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#8 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

Just an FYI, your cycles don't have to be regular at all to chart. Charting uses your current fertility signs, rather than previous histories (like the old rhythm method did).

This is true; I shouldn't have really stated it that way, OP.  I hope that didn't deter you, especially since you said your cycles are messy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post

Charting is not an option.

Is there a reason (you feel comfortable sharing) it wouldn't work for you?  Are you familiar with Taking Charge of Your Fertility

#9 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

Is there a reason (you feel comfortable sharing) it wouldn't work for you?  Are you familiar with Taking Charge of Your Fertility

By chance do you see my post count? See how long I have been on MDC? Notice in my Siggy that I have been a surrogate twice? Fertility is something I know, yes I have read that book and others and talked to a Dr and a Midwife about why for me charting will not work. In 13 years of marriage I have not before been interested in the modern medical worlds choices for birth control but another pregnancy might well kill me right now as I can't even walk up stairs without my heart having issues.

#10 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

We had planned on TTA for 5 years or so. However now it might be for always though till we know more we want to take a solid step in making avoiding easy but not close that door until we are sure my health issue can not be recovered.

Trying to find a modern option when I have been a crunchy crunchy goddess is hard. Dying though would be worse I am sure. It is all rather upsetting and not simple.

#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post
By chance do you see my post count? See how long I have been on MDC? Notice in my Siggy that I have been a surrogate twice? Fertility is something I know, yes I have read that book and others and talked to a Dr and a Midwife about why for me charting will not work. In 13 years of marriage I have not before been interested in the modern medical worlds choices for birth control but another pregnancy might well kill me right now as I can't even walk up stairs without my heart having issues.

I hope I'm reading your response wrong because it looks to me like you're getting pissed off because I was trying to be helpful.  I don't typically look at post counts or join dates and I don't have signatures on; I had no idea that was a prerequisite to responding. 

This is a public forum; if someone posts a question and I think I could possibly provide advice, I will do so.  If you don't like the advice I give, you don't have to take it.

#12 of 13 Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 AM

I totally hear you. Charting has a higher failure rate than I'm comfortable with, and if faced serious health risks by getting pregnant, I would pick a different option.

I have a copper IUD and I love it. No hormones, no weight gain, and about as effective as you can get for a non-permanent method.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#13 of 13 Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM

I have mirena and havn't gained weight.  I think both weight gain and loss are listed as side effects, so I guess you wouldn't know if you would gain weight.  You could ask your doctor?  It has hormones, but only progestin and then only one seventh the amount of bc pills so if you have to go hormone it might be a viable option.  The failure rate is low and all real life people I"ve talked to who have it (upwards of five, not a huge amount but some) love it.  There was a lot of scary stuff on the internet about it, so check it out.  Also I found insertion to be WAY less painful then I was led to believe.  The OB GYN gave me a pill to help dialate my cervix the night before and I have had two deliveries so that might help too.  I hope you find something that works for you.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page