different types of NFP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me the differences between the Creighton Model of NFP and the Billings model? I've visited the Creighton model websites, but they are fairly non-specific. I know it's like Billings in that it's based on cervical fluid, but beyond that--what's the diff? They don't seem to publish any readily-available literature.

Just curious!

Jen
#2 of 9 Old 04-09-2004, 04:48 PM

I was just trying to research this online the other day. Functionally, I don't know that there's a while lot of difference. Both involve charting cervical fluid. I think Creighton might get more specific in the types of information it charts. From what I could tell, the major difference is in how they are taught. Creighton is taught by medical professionals, who provide a series of meetings and follow-ups to ensure that the charting is being done properly. The training for Billings is not as extensive, and it is typically not taught by medical professionals. Beyond that, I'm not sure about the differences. I do recall seeing that Creighton is based on Billings. You're right that there is not much published information out there.
#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2004, 05:04 PM

If your still interested in a few weeks I'll let you know. At a health clinic by our house they give the Creighton Model introduction meetings on the first tuesday of every month, so we are going. I'll post after after I am educated about it.
#4 of 9 Old 04-17-2004, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Julie, that would be great. Do let us know what it's all about!

Thanks!

Jen
#5 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 PM

Creighton is based on the Billings method. I think the Creighton Method (what we use) is more researched. Dr. Hilgers has spent about 25 yrs researching this method and learning more about women's cycles and the female body. The Creighton Method is a cm only method and there about 20 different ways you can describe your cm on any given day. I love this method. Check out the website and just request some more info, it will help and will help you find a teacher too. The places that teach it offer an intro class for those interested to learn more before joining the program.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 06:04 PM

Sorry I didn't post sooner, but dh and I went to the class, and no one was there? My friend said they did it the last Tuesdays of every month, and you didn't have to make an appointment. Apparantly it was supposed to be an introduction, and then if you were interested in doing it, you could set up an appointment with one of the instructors, so I called and left a message, and no one has gotten back to me? Kind of bummed, because my dh and I wanted to start doing it right away and then plan on getting pg sometime in the fall. If I ever get any info I will post again.
#7 of 9 Old 05-13-2004, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Julie,

Let me know when it meets. I just noticed that you're in SLC. I'm moving to Utah (Provo) in a month, so I could attend the same classes!

Jen
#8 of 9 Old 05-14-2004, 12:03 AM

Jen, here is a link to there site, it's Intermountain Fertility: Click on the calendar link:

http://www.intermountainfertilitycare.org/

I live in sugarhouse, and I just went on their site, I guess they changed the dates they do it here in the sugarhouse area to the second Tuesday of every month, I guess we will try next month. If you are moving to Provo, on their site it said they do introduction classes at Juan Diego School (a private Catholic school in Draper) that would be a closer drive for you, not sure when their classes are, but it says on the website.

Apparantley what I got from my friend that went to the introduction class and is currently practicing the method is that you go to the introduction class, and then if it sounds like something you want to do you make an appointment to meet with an instructor, who explains everything further and gives you a bunch of materials for around $50 (she said they work on a sliding scale, so it depends on your income), and then you can meet with her more times at a cost of around $20 each (also on a sliding scale) until you feel comfortable enough to "go out on your own".

Good Luck!! When are you moving out to Utah?
#9 of 9 Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page