birth control after mini-stroke - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 32 and recently had a mini-stroke.  The doctors are saying because they can't find anything else, it may have been my birth control that caused it. 

My OB/GYN said my options post-stroke are IUD, Depo Provera, and the Mini Pill (contains no estrogen).  Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what type of birth control are you on now?  I have been reading how the IUD, both Mirena and ParaGard, cause abnormal bleeding and cramping.  A friend who is a nurse said she wouldn't recommend anything that had hormones and that Paragard would be her only option.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Have you looked into charting? That way you don't have to worry about side effects.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM

After trying every kind of hormonal birth control out there - pills (oh so many kinds!), patches, rings, Depo, herbal BC (it works, it takes  a lot of dedication though) along with FAM but to date the BEST birth control I have been on is the Paragard. I love, love, love my copper IUD! My sex drive is finally back to normal since I now OVULATE.

My first insertion was a bit botched and I expelled the first one BUT that had everything to do with the experience of practitioner inserting it. The next one was put in by someone who had loads more experiences and it has been smooth sailing ever since!

There was an increase in vaginal discharge for the first month but that's a common reaction to the Copper IUD, I haven't had any spotting or random bleeding. I cramp the tiniest bit around ovulation but that just allows me to chart my cycles accurately.

If you are really interested in all of the ins and outs of IUDs, check out www.iud-divas.livejournal.com

Good luck.

User Tag List