ParaGard...Is it worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have decided to have Paragard implanted next month and after reading several threads about Mirena, it seems to be the way to go.  I have always stuggled with taking BC consistently and eventhough I have never had kids and I am not married, I would like to reserve child bearing and rearing for time later in life.  I am curious to see if anyone out here has any insight into ParaGard. I like the fact that there are no hormones involved, but what is trend with the heavy and crazy periods? Please shed some light, as I still may change my mind!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM

I have had my paraguard for 3 yrs now and really like it. I did have heavy periods in the beginning but after I started using the diva cup about a yr ago it is MUCH lighter. I only have 1 to 2 heavy days now. The only thing I have noticed it that I can feel ovulation now and I never could before but it is just a  slight cramping so no big deal. My cramps with my period are gone as well.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM

I love my paraguard. I've tried practically every form of birth control out there and this is definitely the best for me. Every method has side effects and negative aspects, it's just about finding the method that's best for you.

I think a lot of women have fewer side effects from copper IUDs if they've already had a kid. I did get the heavier periods (though not crazy heavy) and it did add about two days of spotting. My cramps actually went away. I love that it's super effective and isn't hormonal.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List