Charting question: when to temp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, everyone! I'm interested in charting to avoid pregnancy, but I'm not sure when to take my temperature to get an accurate chart. 

My DD still nurses throughout the night, so I sometimes get up at irregular times through the night which confuses me as to when I should chart. Another thing confusing me is that I wake up when DH gets up for work, go back to sleep and get up a few hours later when DD wakes up. 

Here's a vague timeline of when I sleep/wake up:

10-11: bedtime

11-12: fall asleep

4-5: sometimes I'll wake up when DD needs to switch sides

530: DH wakes up for work (usually I wake up here if I'm not awake from DD earlier

6ish: fall back asleep (it takes me a while to fall back asleep)

830-9: DD switches sides nursing again and I wake up again (sometimes drift back to sleep as she nurses, but not for a substantial amount of time)

I'm thinking that I should just temp when I first wake up, even if it's as early as 4, because I would have been sleeping for at least 4 hours before then and the difference between 4 and 530 would be minimal, but maybe there's something about it that I'm not seeing. 

Thanks for your help : )

#2 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
JMJ

If you're cosleeping, a slight waking to switch sides is very unlikely to affect your temperature.  Taking it at different times is much more likely to affect it, so I would go with whatever time is most consistent, probably when your DH gets up for work.

#3 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I was thinking, but then I was wondering if I should take it if I wake up earlier. Some days I'll fully wake up 30 minutes to an hour before DH wakes up, not just a half wake up to switch sides. Should I temp then or just wait so I'm temping at the same time every day? (I'm staying in bed, pretending to sleep so DD doesn't wake up, if that makes a difference.)

#4 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM

If you wake up 30 min earlier, just temp then. 30 min never made a big deal for me.

#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page