regular spotting before period due - anyone else experienced this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I wonder if I could get some advice.

I used to have very regular cycles - around 30 days long, 12 day luteal phase, normal periods. I only had a couple of proper cycles between children. I then breastfed my second for a long time, so when my cycles finally returned it had been something like 2 and a half years since my last cycle. I'm now in my 6th cycle since they started again. The temperature profiles have not been too far off normal and the length has been reasonably normal as well. But in every cycle so far I have had spotting for a few days around DPO 8, which then stops again for a couple of days before my real period starts. 

Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last? 

It's just a bit annoying, because we use natural family planning and it falls right in the safe period :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 AM

I tend to have more spotting during my LP when my thyroid level is off. I have hypothyroidism and take meds daily. You might want to have your hormone levels checked.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Annie. Yes, I'm wondering whether I might need to see the doctor, just to make sure there isn't something more sinister going on...

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM
JMJ

Yes, this is caused by a hormone "imbalance," (specifically a progesterone imbalance) but it is one that is quite common in breastfeeding mothers simply because prolactin interferes with progesterone.  If you were experiencing this as a non-breastfeeding woman, it could be a reason for concern (though it could likely be fixed with diet).  For a breastfeeding woman, I would not see it as cause for concern.  If you are concerned about thyroid problems, they are usually pretty easy to spot on your chart.  Hypothyroidism is strongly associated with low pre-ovulation temperatures (usually below about 97F), and if this is coupled with other symptoms of hypothyroidism (low energy, etc), that would be a reason to get your levels checked.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JMJ. I actually stopped breastfeeding completely about 4 months ago.

My pre-ovulation temperatures are not particularly low.

I've made an appointment to see the doctor next monday, just to make sure. But it's quite possible that my body is just taking a while to recover from the breastfeeding and the extreme sleep deprivation I suffered for over a year-and-a-half.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM
JMJ

I hope you get this figured out.  You might consider checking out "Fertility Cycles and Nutrition" by Marilyn Shannon as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

So, the doctor didn't think there was anything to worry about. In fact, she was surprised that I had already had 6 regular ovulatory cycles since stopping breastfeeding, and congratulated me on my fertility :)

She said the only thing I could do about the spotting is to go on hormonal contraceptive, which I don't want to do. Otherwise, I just have to wait and see whether it sorts itself out. 

I guess I wasn't too worried that it would be something serious, like hypothyroidism, simply because I don't have any other symptoms, and you would expect that sort of thing to have more wide-ranging effects.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

A little update:  I have found a most ingenious way of dealing with the spotting - We are very surprised to be expecting baby number 3! I guess there won't be any spotting for at least the next 8 months ;)

User Tag List