Charting to Avoid/ Fertility Awareness September - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CarsonBookworm~ I just looked at your chart and with your temp drop this morning, it looks like AF may be on her way.

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

John 3:16

#62 of 93 Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for the info, that is helpful.  I hope your pregnancy goes well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buterflymomma View Post

Thank you ladies! I took a digital this morning, just to be super sure and I am definitely pregnant. We are still in shock. We do want more children, this one is just coming a little sooner than we planned. God is in charge though and he obviously feels we are ready. The only thing is that not enough time has passed since my last pregnancy, I still remember how tough it was on me. wink1.gif

Jodi~To answer your question about what went wrong? The answer is.. not being careful enough. With my LP so short last month I honestly thought I would have trouble getting pregnant. We used the pull n pray on a day that we really should have been using a condom. My suggestion, when in doubt cover it up. So, nothing really went wrong except human error.

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

#63 of 93 Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Yep, AF showed up late this morning. I'm pretty happy.

I just found it kind of interesting that my LP keeps changing. 13 days this last cycle, Then 16, 12 and 14 days in June, July and August. I know that it can vary by a few days either way....but this kind of variation is worrisome to me. I'm going to bring it up with my Gyno next visit.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#64 of 93 Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Hey, Ladies, 

Well, FF thinks I am Oed (well, possibly), but I am not sure. The temp shift is not sure and no EWCM showed up. I had O pain and my cervix was super high and soft, but I guess my body just made an attempt and did not make it to O. Will see how long the lutheal phase (?) will be. Still think that after the pill this cycle is quite impressive. 

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#65 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 AM
JMJ

Clavicula, that looks very much like ovulation.  I would wait at least one more day to get 4 days of dry up just to be sure, but that's looking good.

#66 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks, JMJ. Without the EWCM, it is a bit weird though. smile.gif Agreed, 1 more  high temp day and I am in the clear for sure. 

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#67 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 AM
JMJ

It's quite possible to ovulate without having EWCM.  EWCM is a sign of a healthier cycle, more likely to result in conception, given intercourse in the fertile period, but you had a very clear mucus patch that dried up about the same time as your cervix moved down and closed up, and you've got a very nice temperature rise there if you shave the temp from CD 14, so that is really looking like ovulation.

#68 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM

i have a new question.  i started checking my cf this cycle. i would just pull out my pessary once a day and record that. which time of day do you think would be best to do it for the best picture? i want to start checking my cervix too. i am unsure if i could tell position bc of the prolapse but how open and how firm  shouldnt be too hard.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#69 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM
JMJ

Lionessmom, with cervix, it would be a matter of getting to know you own body.  I don't know much about a prolapse, but you can feel for yourself if you get helpful information.  With checking CM, you may or may not find what you are proposing to be helpful.  The recommendations for checking CM (which do not involve a pessary) are to check it several times a day, every time you use the bathroom and when you clean yourself in the shower.  Some STM groups encourage an internal check when you do your cervix checks (at the same time every day), but almost all of the scientifically researched data is on external mucus observations, especially sensations at the vulva.  You may find that you can see a pattern, but I wouldn't expect it to be as accurate as if you were making several observations in a day.  I would not recommend assuming that you are infertile based on the "last dry day" using this method, because I'm not sure if it would allow you to see absolutely everything.  A dry-up after ovulation may be easier to see since it focuses on a drastic change.

#70 of 93 Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM

JMJ, thanks for the info. I always had lots of EWCM, guess it will return in the next cycles. 

About cervix checking: sounds difficult but it is so easy. Checking throughout a couple of cycles will teach you a lot about your body. I have no experience with prolapsed uterus though, but I guess grade 1-2 prolapse makes no difference. For example, after 3 births, my 'low' cervix is much lower compared to my nulliparous state, so maybe I am also prolapsed a bit?headscratch.gif

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#71 of 93 Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

well my pessary holds up my cervix and that holds up the insides...

so it would be real inconvenient and unpleasant to take it out more than once a day. i used to leave it in all the time and take it out once every other month....

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#72 of 93 Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 AM

JMJ, you are sooooo knowledgable. Thanks so much for all of your great information!

Lionessmom, on the CM checking- I check most of the time when I go to the bathroom, but I drink a ton of water so not everytime, 'cause i'm in there a lot. :) One thing I've observed- not sure if it's just me or everyone does this- my CM always appears less-fertile early in the day than it does later. I don't even enter it into FF until afternoon (got tired of changing it). I can have EWCM in the evening, be creamy the following morning, and EWCM again in the afternoon. Because you record the most-fertile, I have to wait to see what it's going to do throughout the day.

I did manage to get enough temps in to see a shift and I O'd on CD20 and nowhere close to CD8, like I had feared. All good!

This is especially good because last friday night, my amazing boyfriend asked me to marry him! We're planning for a small, informal August 2012 wedding. And no more CTA at that point- we'll see what happens. He's actually tried getting me to go to the courthouse or elope very soon, with the reminder that as soon as we're married, we can start TTC. Yeah, I want a baby (or three or four) but I really want a wedding, too.

okay, happy charting ladies!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#73 of 93 Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Congrats Librarygirl!!! That is awesome news! Happy wedding planning.

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

#74 of 93 Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

JMJ, you are sooooo knowledgable. Thanks so much for all of your great information!

Lionessmom, on the CM checking- I check most of the time when I go to the bathroom, but I drink a ton of water so not everytime, 'cause i'm in there a lot. :) One thing I've observed- not sure if it's just me or everyone does this- my CM always appears less-fertile early in the day than it does later. I don't even enter it into FF until afternoon (got tired of changing it). I can have EWCM in the evening, be creamy the following morning, and EWCM again in the afternoon. Because you record the most-fertile, I have to wait to see what it's going to do throughout the day.

I did manage to get enough temps in to see a shift and I O'd on CD20 and nowhere close to CD8, like I had feared. All good!

This is especially good because last friday night, my amazing boyfriend asked me to marry him! We're planning for a small, informal August 2012 wedding. And no more CTA at that point- we'll see what happens. He's actually tried getting me to go to the courthouse or elope very soon, with the reminder that as soon as we're married, we can start TTC. Yeah, I want a baby (or three or four) but I really want a wedding, too.

okay, happy charting ladies!

happy wedding planning! i had a small wedding myself. DH wanted to go to the courthouse but iwanted a dress and acake. lol. and i got it too! :)

tmi maybe but when i pull the pessary out, it kinda feels like it is sucking everything out. i have been looking regualrly and i can def see a pattern there. but my thought is, should i do it in the morning to record for the day before or at night to record for that day?

#75 of 93 Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
JMJ

Congratulations on the engagement, Librarygirl!!!

#76 of 93 Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Congrats, Librarygirl! Wow, so exciting, you'll start TTC soon! 

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#77 of 93 Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, librarygirl! I hope you enjoy planning your wedding. (Personally, I'd as soon go to the courthouse with just parents, siblings, and perhaps a friend or two, but I'm engaged to what may be the only man on the planet who is adamant about having a wedding. Thus, he gets to plan itsmile.gif.)

#78 of 93 Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Congrats on the engagement! Physicsgirl, I'm married to one of those too! And he did plan a large portion of the wedding. I think the only part I spent much time on was finding a dress and a couple of other things that I actually cared how they went. ...Wow, if I were that laid back about the baby I would probably be much more mellow right now.

#79 of 93 Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Good Morning Ladies! I hope you don't mind that I am sticking around a bit. I am still learning by reading your posts. wink1.gif Things are pretty good here. I go in for my 1 hour glucose test and blood pregnancy test next week. I am pretty sure that my GD is back. I got it very early last pregnancy. Started insulin around 8 weeks along. I have been checking my fasting and it is high every morning. greensad.gif. So I am thinking I will more than likely be on insulin soon again.

I am still in shock a bit. Trying to come to grips with the fact that I am having another baby. We did want another, but not this soon. Everything happens for a reason though. so I know it will all work out. I hope you are all having a great weekend so far!

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#80 of 93 Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buterflymomma View Post

Good Morning Ladies! I hope you don't mind that I am sticking around a bit. I am still learning by reading your posts. wink1.gif Things are pretty good here. I go in for my 1 hour glucose test and blood pregnancy test next week. I am pretty sure that my GD is back. I got it very early last pregnancy. Started insulin around 8 weeks along. I have been checking my fasting and it is high every morning. greensad.gif. So I am thinking I will more than likely be on insulin soon again.

I am still in shock a bit. Trying to come to grips with the fact that I am having another baby. We did want another, but not this soon. Everything happens for a reason though. so I know it will all work out. I hope you are all having a great weekend so far!

that is too bad about the gd. i had it last time and worry about if it gets worse with each pregnancy. i controlled mine last time with diet and barely got away without needing insulin.

i think finding out you are pregnant is a shock even if you are planning it! lol.

#81 of 93 Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM

I have a question.

We are planning on using condoms until ovulation and then nothing (after 3 hight temps). Would you consider this as a safe method? I really do not want to get pregnant in the next 4-5 years. 

I assume there is very little chance to ovulate again when temps are nice high, am I right? 

TIA

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#82 of 93 Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
We are planning on using condoms until ovulation and then nothing (after 3 hight temps). Would you consider this as a safe method? I really do not want to get pregnant in the next 4-5 years.

Not an expert here (only a few months in), but I think that meets the rules of waiting for 3 high temp days. Only caveat is if your temps drop below coverline after they spike, I think you have to wait again. I can't remember why. But I considered post-O to be safe days too.

As for me, DH and I decided not to prevent this month (he's got baby fever more than I do, I think)... I'm near the end of the 2WW now. I think I'll probably keep charting so I know when the 2WW is, but we're probably going to be "whatevering" for awhile. Go figure, I finally got my schedule under control and started temping reliably. I'll probably still be lurking around these threads, as there is quite a wealth of knowledge around here! :-)

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

#83 of 93 Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavicula View Post

I have a question.

I assume there is very little chance to ovulate again when temps are nice high, am I right? 

TIA

I'd make sure those three high temps are also confirmed by drying up of your cervical mucous as well.  The idea behind using temperature in charting is that temperatures tend to go up following ovulation, but there's a risk that illness or environmental conditions could lead to high temperatures, leading you to think you've already ovulated and are safe when actually you aren't. Checking other signs such as cervical mucous and/or cervical position, openness, and texture can help you confirm that the high temps are truly a result of hormonal changes after ovulation and not a fluke.

TCOYF rules suggest waiting for four days of drying up and three days of high temps to consider yourself safe.(Note that for some women drying up means a switch from eggwhite to sticky or completely dry, while for others like me the mucous after ovulation tends to stay creamy.) I think the Kippleys allow a modification where if the third of the three temps is at least 4/10 of a degree above the pre-shift six you only have to have three drying days, or if all three of the temps are that high you can consider yourself safe with even fewer days of drying up (not sure on that one since it never applies to me). After that, yes, you should be safe to skip the condoms. You can also add another day if you feel the need to be extremely conservative.

I'm a condom fan, and condoms are the most effective barrier method available. However, the annual pregnancy rate for women who use condoms consistently and correctly as their only method of birth control is around 2-3%, and, while I don't know of any studies, I'd expect that rate to be somewhat higher among women who only use them during their fertile days since if there's a method failure then you know it's happening when the chance of getting pregnant is highest. Personally, I use spermicide as a back-up for condoms during my fertile phase since an unexpected pregnancy would be really challenging for me right now. It's up to you to decide what you are comfortable with.

#84 of 93 Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
JMJ

Quote:

I have a question.

TIA

Check out this link for more information on using temperature only.  It is a very effective method, but do pay attention to things such as illness that can cause an artificial temp rise not related to ovulation.  It would be unusual that it would last 3 days unless you were really sick, but that seems to be the most common source of error with the temperature-only method.  I would also be careful about looking for a significant temperature rise, not just three "higher" temperatures, but 3 temperatures that are .4F (or .2C) above the highest of the previous 6.  If these conditions are met, I would consider temperature only to be a very safe method, over 99% effective.

Condoms, on the other hand, I have more concerns about.  The statistics on the efficacy of using condoms to prevent pregnancy are lower than for most other methods of family planning.  It is a well-known fact that using barrier methods during the fertile period greatly reduces the effectiveness of FAM (and makes it look a lot more like the statistics for condoms).  These are not FAM failures, per se.  They are condom failures.

With perfect use, a condom is 98% for a year.  When judged over the course of 5 years (.98^5x100), the condom is about 90.93% effective over the course of 5 years with perfect use.  That leaves almost a 1 in 10 chance that you would get pregnant using condoms perfectly for 5 years.  With typical use, a condom is 85% effective per year in preventing pregnancy.  Over the course of 5 years, it is only 44.37% effective.  You are more likely to become pregnant than not.  A lot of things affect the effectiveness of condoms, so it would be up to you to make a decision on that.  Most people get an effectiveness out of condoms that is somewhere between the perfect use and typical use numbers, but in general, condoms are not terribly effective in postponing pregnancy for a long period of time, and the risks should be considered seriously if you have a serious reason to avoid pregnancy for that whole time.

To be fair, the typical-use statistics for NFP (abstinence during the fertile period) are not that great either.  It is really something that works well (over 99% for the commonly-used methods) if the rules are followed perfectly, but DTD on the other days is exactly how you try for a baby, so if you don't follow the rules, you are very likely to end up pregnant.  Typical use estimates are usually close to 75% effectiveness per year, but with good knowledge of the methods and a healthy amount of sexual self-control, it is very easy to control your ability to get the perfect use effectiveness.

What I can't judge for you is how effective a method you need.  With what you are proposing, the effectiveness of the condoms is certainly the limiting factor (You are much more likely to get pregnant due to a condom failure than a temp-only method failure), so it's more about how safe you feel using condoms during your fertile period.  It should be noted that no method of birth control besides complete abstinence is 100% effective, and every time we choose to DTD, we are accepting whatever probability there is that we could become pregnant.  It's up to each couple to discern what effectiveness they need and take appropriate action.

#85 of 93 Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks, everyone for the useful info and the link! Will consider to abstain on those 5-6 days before O too. I like condoms and trust them (especially w/ spermicide use) but you are right it is not 100%. 

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#86 of 93 Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Wow, AF came this morning! So cool my body is working! I had a lutheal phase of 11 days, this is not long but after the pill I consider this awesome!

So cool my body is working! :) 

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#87 of 93 Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Wow, AF came this morning! So cool my body is working! I had a lutheal phase of 11 days, this is not long but after the pill I consider this awesome!

So cool my body is working! :) 

It is very cool! I loved that after I started charting, I knew exactly when AF was going to arrive (this saturday, for me). After a pregnancy wonder (I don't want to say scare, because we were both okay with it) last December, I decided it was worth charting to KNOW when I O'd, even if we were always using condoms. Especially because I tend towards longish (33-35 days) cycles and even a small amount of stress will delay O for me.

But then, fiance admitted last night that he wasn't going to go to the NFP class with me next week because he trusted me and well, he wouldn't really be upset if I did get pregnant. I've been the one saying I want a baby but now that we actually have wedding plans, he wants one! No babies until after May!

Now, I must go find a snack- serious PMS munchies. :)

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#88 of 93 Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 AM

Hello everyone,

I have not officially been on the list, but I have been lurking around this forum and have been charting to avoid for the last 7 months or so since my cycles returned after I finished breastfeeding our second.

I just wanted to share with everyone how spectacularly NFP has failed us as a contraceptive method! :)  We were not planning to have any more children. However, we realised that NFP is not as reliable as some other methods and have always said that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was to get pregnant again.

I was following it correctly - no unprotected sex 7 days before ovulation and 3 days after. My cycles have always been very consistent, with ovulation at 19 DPO +/- 1 day and a 12-day luteal phase. Last month however I ovulated on day 15! The last time we had had unprotected sex was on day 10, and given that 5 days is the maximum amount of time sperm can live for I was not particularly concerned. But 19 DPO and several BFPs later I am definitely pregnant!

The inital shock is starting to wear off and giving way to joy :)  I think this is a clear case of us planning our lives in a certain way and God having different plans for us :)

I just wanted to share, partly because I'm getting quite excited now, but also to remind everyone that whilst NFP is very reliable in most cases, sometimes your body just does funny things to mess up the system...

#89 of 93 Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliMummy View Post

I was following it correctly - no unprotected sex 7 days before ovulation and 3 days after. My cycles have always been very consistent, with ovulation at 19 DPO +/- 1 day and a 12-day luteal phase. Last month however I ovulated on day 15! The last time we had had unprotected sex was on day 10, and given that 5 days is the maximum amount of time sperm can live for I was not particularly concerned. But 19 DPO and several BFPs later I am definitely pregnant!

The inital shock is starting to wear off and giving way to joy :)  I think this is a clear case of us planning our lives in a certain way and God having different plans for us :)

I just wanted to share, partly because I'm getting quite excited now, but also to remind everyone that whilst NFP is very reliable in most cases, sometimes your body just does funny things to mess up the system...

JuliMummy, glad you are finding joy in the new addition to your family. Out of curiosity, did you observe any cervical mucus on cycle day 10?

#90 of 93 Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Julimummy, Congrats! Babes are always a blessing, even when you were expecting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics girl View Post

JuliMummy, glad you are finding joy in the new addition to your family. Out of curiosity, did you observe any cervical mucus on cycle day 10?

I wondered the exact same thing. Regardless of CD, we don't DTD without a barrier unless I am dry dry dry. No offense, Julimummy, I just wondered if this was method failure or user error.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page