How long after IUD removal did you get pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am getting my IUD out on the 12th.  I am wondering how long it has taken people to get pregnant? I am not 100% I am ready for a 3rd.. but maybe!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#2 of 28 Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM

It took me about 6 months, but I was over 40, so that might not be relevant if you're younger. Age would be a bigger factor than IUD. I had the Paraguard one.
#3 of 28 Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm glad you started this thread...hopefully more mamas will chime in. I have an IUD for about a year now and we're hoping to start TTC next spring, so I'm curious what other women's experiences have been getting pregnant right away.

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 28 Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM

I had Paragard out on June 30 of last year and got pregnant by the end of September. Theoretically there is no time lag on return to fertility when Paragard is removed (not sure about Mirena), although obviously getting pregnant takes different amounts of time for different people under any circumstances.

#5 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM

I used the Mirena after I had my son. When we decided to TTC, I got pregnant after my first cycle post IUD.  I am a fertile myrtle though and get pregnant fairly easy. Good luck!

pandabear14 likes this.

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

John 3:16

#6 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 AM

About 6 months - but I was nursing and (pretty sure) I was not ovulating for the first couple months.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM

I got my mirena out, had a period starting the next day followed by a 15 day cycle (with ovulation) followed by a pretty long cycle before my cycle length normalized. I used FAM to avoid for 4.5 months and conceived our first month TTC. Each cycle my fertility signs increased. I would say it would take several months to really normalize, which is not to say you couldn't conceive sooner.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#8 of 28 Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM

7 months after having the mirena out, with charting, opks, and good timing.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 28 Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Mirena out August 15th.

Conceived 26th October (yes, I know to the day).

Since I had my Mirena as treatment for endometriosis, we got pretty lucky.

I know people who have conceived within 4 weeks of having the Mirena removed- it is possible.

#10 of 28 Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM

I just had my removed oct 10. my doctor told me i had to wait 3 month before i can start trying to have a baby... which i do not understand why nor do i want to wait 3 month to start try....If i had know I had to wait 3 month i would had taken it out 3 month ago. I am cinfused about it, I have not read any post say they where told the same thing. Most of the post i have read with in the month they are pregent.... good luck!!!

#11 of 28 Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM

Conceived 5 cycles after having the Mirena out, miscarried at 12 weeks, conceived one cycle later - have a beautiful DS now.

#12 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 AM

i had the paraguard removed feb/2012 and still nothing...i think there was serious damage that i dont know about. its been a year and a month....

#13 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I took my Paragard out on December 20th (during my period) and haven't had a period since- I conceived on January 4th and am now 14 weeks pregnant.

~ Amy

#14 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM

So I just had the mirena taken out about 2 weeks ago after having it for 8 years and yes I am one if the "lucky" ones that had no period at all. When I had it taken out my Doc said that I can get pregnant immediately even though I haven't had a period. So how would I know when to take a pregnancy test?
pandabear14 likes this.
#15 of 28 Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I waited 3 months before TTC after having my Mirena removed in order to give my body a chance to regulate its own hormones. I got pregnant after 4 cycles of trying but miscarried at 6 weeks. My son was conceived 4 months after that... Exactly 1 year (to the day) after getting the Mirena removed.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#16 of 28 Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaeta View Post

So I just had the mirena taken out about 2 weeks ago after having it for 8 years and yes I am one if the "lucky" ones that had no period at all. When I had it taken out my Doc said that I can get pregnant immediately even though I haven't had a period. So how would I know when to take a pregnancy test?

I would wait another 2 weeks (which is about 1 more week now since you posted a week ago). I ovulated exactly 2 weeks after having it removed, so if I had gotten pregnant, I would have had a positive pregnancy test 4 weeks after it was removed (although that particular cycle was only 23 days so I didn't make it that long).

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#17 of 28 Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM

Well I had mines in for 6mos got it took out had sex the same day the nxt day my period came on 3days later it went off and I just took a pregnancies test and it's positive so I would say Yesss u can get pregnant after removal it's probably even quicker but I'm very fertal anyways so good luck mommies
pandabear14 likes this.
#18 of 28 Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM

I had Mirena for two years, got it removed, ovulated two weeks later and got pregnant on the first try. I suppose I just got lucky, but I had been charting and using an OPK.
pandabear14 likes this.
#19 of 28 Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 PM

I have a 6 yo dd. I had Copper T for 2 years then pulled it out myself, but did not get pregnant in the few cycles I had before getting another IUD put in. I felt I needed a break from the IUD. We used PO method and all was fine. Had the second copper T IUD removed in late April 2012, conceived in July while actively trying. That pregnancy was a blighted ovum. Got pregnant again in January 2013, after induced miscarriage in October 2012. This pregnancy is 26 weeks and going well smile.gif
#20 of 28 Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM

If I would have known how messed up my cycle would be after having the mirena I would have never had it put in. I went from a normal 28 day cycle to a 34 day cycle. I am charting but still not preg this is just so frustrating and sad and sometimes I just want to give up.
#21 of 28 Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM

I strongly recommend waiting at least a cycle or two post-removal before TTC.

I had my Mirena removed last September and got a positive hpt two weeks later, so I must have been ovulating right at removal. It turned out to be ectopic, it was very scary and lost my left tube as well. I feel certain it was caused by the residual affect of the Mirena and would not have happened had I waited a few cycles.

Luckily and happily, I am now 24 weeks pregnant and all is well so far smile.gif

#22 of 28 Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Did any of you ladies that got pregnant right away after IUD removal experience any of the bleeding or spotting withdraws?

#23 of 28 Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM

Hello, I had the Paraguard in for 5 yrs, removed it January2013 and I still have not conceived!!! My OBGYN advised it may take 6 months to 1 year and if I don't conceive by then she told me to we can run tests and go over my options. I am a mother of a 9yr old and I never had problems conceiving before (after giving birth to my son I had gotten pregnant 2x's but I aborted greensad.gif). It's the 1 yr mark and I hope I can still conceive. I hope the metal of the Paraguard didn't ruin my fertility.
#24 of 28 Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM

I got my IUD removed in July 2013 after having it in for almost 4 years. We started TTC immediately and still haven't had any luck.I'm beginning to get very discouraged. I'm pretty sure I have ovulated every month, my periods have been regular. Worrying that the IUD messed up fertility. Breaks my heart. I want to have a second child more than anything.

#25 of 28 Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
After my oldest son, I had a Mirena placed, which took me from horrible, long, heavy periods to no period for 3 years! Then we wanted to have another, so I had it out (easy procedure). I started bleeding right away, and we were careful to avoid for a month afterward so I could regulate my cycle & we could do some timing to try for a girl. Even using the Shettles method, we got pregnant the second month after removal, first month TTC (with a boy). He is now almost 4 years, and I just had my second Mirena removed (they lost the strings, but were still able to get it out in office), and am waiting for the light period that began immediately to stop so we can TTC again. Good luck to anyone TTC & I highly recommend Mirena to anyone who wants to avoid for a while.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#26 of 28 Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well,

I had my IUD removed only to miscarry my baby that I got pregnant with right away.

I am glad you had a positive experience with the IUD, but I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

The side effects, loss of a baby and other physical changes have been hell.

I have seen many women who have had loss after loss after removal. I hope I am not one of them, but, with now having a loss- I fear it.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#27 of 28 Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM

My midwife said to wait several months after Marena removal to try so the uterine wall could strengthen to prevent miscarriage. In addition to preventing ovulation, the IUD weakens the uterine wall.
#28 of 28 Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well- an update from me since this showed up again as a topic- I had a copper IUD with very bad side effects to it-

I got my IUD out Feb 22nd 2014- I was pregnant instantly by Feb 25th 2014.

My baby stopped growing at 7 weeks and I ended up waiting to have a natural miscarriage at 18 weeks (end of June 2014)

I chose to wait to have a natural miscarriage for several reasons, but one was to just give my uterus time to heal from the IUD.

I am still spotting from the MC- but we do not use protection- so I am guessing I will have a baby in womb here within the next few months again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page