Charting to Avoid/ Fertility Awareness October - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 118 Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all.

I'm thinking about CTA. I CTC'ed with my 1st  (and my mc) and while I was not tracking with #2, the BFP was not shocking because I knew all my signs. 

I was very consistent, so CTA should not be an issue.  I'm not too happy with my current pill (or the 2 other types I was one before TTC #1), not too happy with condoms, and DH was about to get a V but I balked.  My head says no more kids... but it's very hard for me to make that permanent right now.

So... I'm thinking about CTA, but there is a part of me that is super worried about an accident.  It would be one thing if we were both OK with a surprise 3rd... but at right now it would not be a blessing at all. 

I know that if done correctly, CTA is very effective.  But, doubt!  What if!  Ack.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 118 Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
JMJ

Welcome, Lit Chick!  Fear of an accident is very common, and, as you'll see if you read through the CTA threads, they do happen, though you'd have to look hard to find ones that are unexplained.  Then again, if you look through the DDC's a lot of babies there were accidents, and many of those mothers were using other forms of contraception as well.  If used incorrectly, birth control in general just isn't that effective, and there are method failures with every method.  Charting just makes more obvious what is always true, that every single time you DTD, you are accepting that there is a certain probability that you could get pregnant, and you and you are willing to take that chance.

One of the many wonderful things about charting is that you can choose to make that chance much greater (such as when you are TTC) or much smaller if you need a very, very effective method, though there is an inverse relationship between how effective CTA is and how much of the time you are free to DTD.  It is precisely this inverse relationship that makes it difficult.  Using other methods during the fertile period reduces the effectiveness greatly.  How do you feel about abstaining or trusting a less-effective method during the fertile period?  How does your husband feel about it?  How do you feel about the fact that when you are first learning to chart and gaining history, you'll have a lot more times that you'll have to consider yourself to be potentially fertile?  How effective do you need it to be?  Do you and your DH have the willingness and self-control to give you the effectiveness you need?

#93 of 118 Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Yeah... I was about to say we did have the self control, but one of my fertility signs is being super horny.  And DH has a hard time being the strong one that says "stop, need a barrier!"

I'm just really frustrated right now because there is no perfect solution.  I want it to be convenient, without side effects, reversible, and 100% effective.  Oh, and I want to have good sex without contact dermatitis afterwards (there's only 1 brand we found of condoms that fits DH, and it and I aren't so compatible). 

Whine, whine whine. 

ETA - right after I posted, I decided to google.  And lo, there is a new condom on the market that hopefully will do the trick.  A bunch of reviewers specifically mentioned that they were allergic to the only other brand of that size, and these were fine.  YAY.  I really hope they fit and don't make me itch. 

#94 of 118 Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Well, I thought I was about to ovulate but maybe it was a failed attempt, unless it's still possible my temp could shift tomorrow? CM seems to be drying right up

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/infojunkie/charts/1.aspx

#95 of 118 Old 10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
JMJ

Lit Chick, if you are attracted to the idea of charting, you also have the option of trying it out, building up some cycle history, knowing when your period is due, and deciding later if you want to use the information in family planning.  It's up to you, just trying to throw out options.

Infojunkie, it's too early to tell.  A lot of people ovulate on P+1, and you can ovulate up to P+3.  Additionally, sometimes the temp rise happens a little before or after ovulation.  This is why we have rules that require you to wait a few days after you might think you ovulated, because there is some variation in when women actually ovulation in relation to Peak day and temp rise.  It's also quite normal, especially as you're experiencing marginal fertility (like coming off birth control), to have your body try to ovulate a few times before it's actually successful.

#96 of 118 Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

JMJ, thanks.  That's what I'm going to do. 

I for sure cannot tolerate the pill, at all, not even a little.  The side-effects went from common and annoying to the call your doctor NOW type.   Good times!

So, I'll let my body clean out, chart, use barriers, and take it from there.

#97 of 118 Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Hi friends!  I think I had better join you.  I am between 7 and 8 weeks PP with my second child.  I will take my first Creighton class next week.  Some background:  both of my children are "oops!" babies. :)  Specifically, DS was concieved 10mo PP before any PPAF and no fertile signs that I noticed.  I had started temping and checking cervix/CF about a month prior to getting pregnant, so I do have basic knowledge of STM via the Kippley's. 

I already have a question this time around!  I had some PP bleeding issues this time, and am still spotting.  I hit the 56 day mark in 3 days...if I continue to spot (likely) past that cutoff, does that make me ineligible for LAM?

Thanks!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#98 of 118 Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Hi! wave.gif I thought I might join the club over here--I just took out my last Nuvaring! DH and I are TTA until next summer, when we will hopefully start TTC! I've been looking at all the charts I can over at TCOYF.com and am really excited to start!

Me + DH  partners.gif And E baby.gif makes three! 3.2.13 stillheart.gif

#99 of 118 Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

mt_gooseberry and kat216, welcome!!!! it's great to have you here! 

#100 of 118 Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 PM
JMJ

Welcome, mt_gooseberry and kat216.  Mt_gooseberry, I would say yes if it's red, no if it's brown.  Red blood is fresh, but sometimes it takes a little while to clear, and you get some brown bleeding for a few days afterward.  You could also consider looking into the Marquette Method.  It is turning out to be pretty darn effective in the postpartum period with less guess-work.  Kat216, congratulations on getting off of HBC!  I would assume that you are potentially fertile from the time you stopped until you confirm ovulation with one of the rules that tells you that you are in post-ovulation infertility.

Lionessmom, I've been thinking about you.  How are things going?  How did your husband take the news?

#101 of 118 Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Lionessmom, I've been thinking about you.  How are things going?  How did your husband take the news?

he thought i was kidding at first. he seemed in shock but then he seemed to get over it. he is still all over the need a bigger house thing but he seems almost excited now. i think that his mom and his friends and family was happy and excited made him feel better. 

things seem fine. i am 5 weeks now. i am having lots of growing pains this time. more than last time. i think part of it is that i have bronchitis and i have been coughing lots. i only had morning sickness from 14 dpo till 18dpo. and now i just have cravings. i feel so hungry all the time. and i have energy. i am finally starting to get rid of the sickness and feel like cleaning. i am not one who  normally feels like cleaning. 

i keep reading here to see what is going on. i wont need to chart for at least 2 years though. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#102 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

he thought i was kidding at first. he seemed in shock but then he seemed to get over it. he is still all over the need a bigger house thing but he seems almost excited now. i think that his mom and his friends and family was happy and excited made him feel better. 

things seem fine. i am 5 weeks now. i am having lots of growing pains this time. more than last time. i think part of it is that i have bronchitis and i have been coughing lots. i only had morning sickness from 14 dpo till 18dpo. and now i just have cravings. i feel so hungry all the time. and i have energy. i am finally starting to get rid of the sickness and feel like cleaning. i am not one who  normally feels like cleaning. 

i keep reading here to see what is going on. i wont need to chart for at least 2 years though. 

I'm glad to hear things are going well with the pregnancy and your DH.  I hope you feel better soon.

#103 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome to all the new members! Sorry I didn't get everyone added to the list immediately; I've been sick and thus not online for a week.

#104 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Hey Ladies! I just wanted to update you all. I went in for another sono today and unfortunately there wasn't a heartbeat. The baby stopped growing shortly after my last sono two weeks ago. My Dr. prescribed Cytotec to induce the miscarriage since my body hasn't gotten the memo yet. I am planning on taking it tonight after the Halloween Hoopla is over. I am kinda glad I have the holiday to distract me. So I will be joining you all again soon.

I do have a question. Do I count the m/c as CD1 when it happens? Thanks

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

John 3:16

#105 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM
JMJ

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious little one, butterflymomma.  Take care of yourself as you recover.  Yes, you will count your first day of bleeding from the miscarriage as CD 1. 

#106 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Thank you JMJ. I have known that something just wasn't right since my first sono. It still hurts though. I was really hoping the baby was going to make it. That mommy intuition though is rarely ever wrong. Anyway, I will be joining you all again soon. I am going to start reading my book again and hope to be a pro in no time. 

Nicole
Wife to Victor
partners.gif familybed2.gif, buddamomimg1.png, caffix.gif, large family lovin'SAHM chicken3.gif to my chicklets, Nicholas 9/05 ,Genevieve 1/08, Viviana 11/09 and Michaela 5/11. Plus three angel babies in Jesus' arms. Forever in my heart  angel.gif  7/10 (5.5w), angel.gif  11/11 (11w) & angel.gif 4/12 (8w)

#107 of 118 Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buterflymomma View Post

Thank you JMJ. I have known that something just wasn't right since my first sono. It still hurts though. I was really hoping the baby was going to make it. That mommy intuition though is rarely ever wrong. Anyway, I will be joining you all again soon. I am going to start reading my book again and hope to be a pro in no time. 

I am so sorry. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#108 of 118 Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you LionessMom.

How are things going with you?

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#109 of 118 Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

So sorry for your loss, Buterflymomma.

#110 of 118 Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

The November thread is up.

#111 of 118 Old 11-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Thank you LionessMom.

How are things going with you?

as far as i know things are normal. i hhad an ectopic once and wanted a us tom ake sure but she basically told me no unless i started having symptoms of one. i am very emotional right now though. 

#112 of 118 Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 AM

((HUGS))) LionessMomI know that feeling all too well.  I will be praying for you that everything is ok and the baby is where it should be.

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#113 of 118 Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

((HUGS))) LionessMomI know that feeling all too well.  I will be praying for you that everything is ok and the baby is where it should be.

thanks. i have decided that it is cruel to make me feel like this and so i will be going to the doctor tomorrow to make them send me for one. 

#114 of 118 Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Good for you! Hoping everything is ok!

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#115 of 118 Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Good for you! Hoping everything is ok!

they did send me in and found everything to be ok. little bean had a heartbeat and everything. i am so relieved. it is always so hard in the first weeks, with all the hormones and the worries. but at least i can scratch ectopic pregnancy off my list of worries.

#116 of 118 Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
JMJ

Quote:

they did send me in and found everything to be ok. little bean had a heartbeat and everything. i am so relieved. it is always so hard in the first weeks, with all the hormones and the worries. but at least i can scratch ectopic pregnancy off my list of worries.

Yay!!!

#117 of 118 Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:

That is AWESOME news!! I am so happy for you that things are going well!!

Nicole
Wife to Victor

#118 of 118 Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:

That is AWESOME news!! I am so happy for you that things are going well!!

thanks. they gave me a pic too :) you know how it is though. i wont feel "safe" until after the first trimester.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page